Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

Photo

New reimagined Hanna Barbera line from DC

65 replies to this topic

#21 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1938 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

Future Quest is going to be the best simply because it's Parker and Shaner.

Scooby Apocalypse sure looks like it's going to be... something, though.

#22 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52594 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Future Quest looks amazing.

The rest sound like Robot Chicken sketches. Not saying that in a "bad" way per se but that's the vibe I'm getting.

card-strongarm.jpg

#23 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26227 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

Can't wait until Scrappy Doo makes an appearance to be killed in a violent way by one of the monsters.

Scrappy Doo IS the violent monster.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#24 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23046 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

(Swear to god, though, if they do some "Dark Orko" bullshit with this I'll be annoyed beyond belief.)

#25 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4968 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, most come across as, as another poster put it, "fanfic reinventions from a 13 year old".  Which, oddly, seems par for course for DC as a whole these days.

I think Flintstones has potential, and Wacky Races is just weird enough to take a look at, but Scooby?  Talking something that stepped out of the late 90s right there (again, perfectly in line with the tripe DC is generally pushing out these days).

That said, I think Future Quest looks VERY interesting, and the talent involved seems to have more an understanding of the concepts than the other books seem to.  Of all of the HB book, Future Quest has enough of my interest to pick up an issue.

Edited by Steevy Maximus, 28 January 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#26 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7708 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

One way to look at this line is "it can't be any worse than everything else DC is publishing". So at least it has that going for it. 

And the more I think about it, the more I think that a Wacky Races book than leans on Fury Road is a brilliant idea. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#27 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9218 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

Future Quest will be written by Jeff Parker? He's amazing in Thunderbolts and even that supposed for kids Avengers with Storm and Giant Girl. He'looks treat the characters right but will add humor, hehe.

Wacky Races Ala Mad Max won't have enough bite if they don't kill any racers. One or two of the Ant hill Mob don't count.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#28 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:40 AM

Yes, this is what  we need, gritty grimdark reimaginings of Wacky Races as a Mad Max clone and the Scooby gang as DC superheroes.
I cannot wait for the issue where we learn that Freddy's obsession for traps is because his parents were killed by him by accident when he was a kid and dabbled with traps. Or how Dick Dastardly raped Penelope and then the Great Gonzo erased this memory out of everyone's minds and turned Dick into the wacky useless joke of a villain he is now.
Or heck, how about when we learn that Rosie the robot's body has been taken over by some ancient Lovecraftian monstrosity from the beginning of time and she has been manipulating everything all along in a Shyalaman-twist!

Just... NO. Just stop,DC. Give it up, you have lost, you will never beat the popularity contest now that Marvel has billions to back it in advertising and tie-in-movies. Just do the sensible thing and sell yourself to the Mouse, too. Maybe they will do a house cleaning and get rid of the idiots running ship now. Especially this Didiot  guy. He is like what Jeph Loeb was for Marvel.

The team on Future Quest previously did a run of Flash Gordon I've seen get a LOT of praise.

-ZacWilliam, they're a creative team I trust pretty well to do that concept right.

If you mean the reimagining called Zeitgeist, I read it, and it was terrible.
http://www.comicvine...ist/4050-44258/

(Swear to god, though, if they do some "Dark Orko" bullshit with this I'll be annoyed beyond belief.)

They did? Now why am I not surprised... Glad I stopped reading their He-Man comics. Or well, ALL their comics. I gain more enjoyment from reading DC comics from the nineties than these.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 29 January 2016 - 04:51 AM.

#29 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17982 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

The team on Future Quest previously did a run of Flash Gordon I've seen get a LOT of praise.

-ZacWilliam, they're a creative team I trust pretty well to do that concept right.

If you mean the reimagining called Zeitgeist, I read it, and it was terrible.
http://www.comicvine...ist/4050-44258/

Nope. Not those. (Check the credits.)

These guys wrote/drew this critically praised run:
http://www.comicvine...don/4050-72935/

And Parker has written a bunch of other very well received stuff as well.

-ZacWilliam, it's a pretty great creative team choice actually.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 29 January 2016 - 05:03 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#30 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7708 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

The Parker/Shaner Flash Gordon run is comics at their best. Those guys don't care which cylinders surrender, they fire on all of them.

I'm the last guy you're going to find wanting to defend DC, but it's waaaaay too early to label this a trainwreck. Whether these books succeed or fail (and we can probably assume that there will be both hits and misses) in the end we get some potentially interesting new material featuring characters who, in some of these cases, have not seen meaningful attention in decades.

Even if the best thing that comes of this is someone at Warner saying "Jesus, what's this shit? It's time somebody did Hanna-Barbera right", that's probably still a win.

And if these books are HALF as good as DC's modern MOTU output, I'll be happy. I agree we didn't need Dark Orko in our lives, but which series was built around him? The DCU crossover. DC is not an innately terrible publisher; they just (currently) make awful, awful decisions when it comes to the DCU. Plenty of their licensed/Vertigo/etc output is decent or great.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#31 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18879 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

Anyone else completely unable to take Brak seriously, spear or no spear?

Moltar or Zorak, sure, they kind of had some sort of mean intent, but Brak? He's forever singing "Whatever Happened to the Water?" in my mind.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#32 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8250 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

For me its "I Love you,Baby".

A handful of years ago there was an interesting Space Ghost reboot mini series. I'd love to see something more along those lines. The art was gorgeous (I can't remember who it was but it had a solid painterly feel. With Alex Ross covers) and an interesting take on Zorak. He was a hive-mind swarm with an appointed leader until that one was killed, then another would step up and be the new leader. Kind of a cute way of addressing the various outfit changes he went through that Coast to Coast poked fun at.

#33 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9218 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

Brak always made me think of Swat Kats cuz of his suit.

It'd be nice if at least Future Quest lasts for 3 years plus. I'm sure the others will only last a year or so.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#34 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2356 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'm the last guy you're going to find wanting to defend DC, but it's waaaaay too early to label this a trainwreck.

I can't even judge the Scooby Doo art, since there's no way in hell Jim Lee will draw a single interior page of that and who knows what the real artist will do?

#35 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7708 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

Ariel Olivetti did that Space Ghost mini I think, with Joe Kelly. So another good team.

I read it but it doesn't seem to have left much of an impression. It's hard to imagine that being the case with Future Quest!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#36 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17982 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

This looks like something I absolutely dreamed of as a kid. I remember sitting around trying to imagine the origin of the Herculoids. Can not wait. :)

http://comicsallianc...uest-interview/

-ZacWilliam, I mean the family lived like cavemen on a primitive planet but all these super advanced space people both good and bad knew them personally and knew of the Herculoids unmatched power and I want to know why...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#37 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7708 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

I had no idea the book was so close. 

I'm all for (pretty much) anything that brings attention to classic HB characters, so I'm pretty keen to check out this whole line.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#38 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36724 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

Okay, so not only is Space Ghost the Batman of the series; he was previously part of a Green Lantern-esque space corps,

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#39 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26227 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:23 PM

Where's my Blue Falcon?! He's the HB Batman! He's got the rich playboy thing going on already.

C'mon!!!!

Grrrrr....

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#40 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36724 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:27 PM

Where's my Blue Falcon?! He's the HB Batman! He's got the rich playboy thing going on already.

C'mon!!!!

Grrrrr....

I'd prefer he'd be less of Batman, mostly becuase every modern take tends to make him into boring brooding serious Batman, when he needs to be more Adam West or maybe Brave and the Bold Batman.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users