Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo

TMNT 2 First Trailer HD

198 replies to this topic

#41 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1371 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

For those that are interested, here's the remix from the trailer. I'd probably upvote a vidoe of paint drying if this song was playing.

Looks a lot lighter than the previous movie, both literally and figuratively. Really, there's all of two scenes with the boys set at night, and all of their clips are in pretty bright locations. On the other hand, all the villains are lurking in the dark until the boys arrive. Heck, the trailer song starts playing when the boys turn on the Turtle Truck's blinders during a heist. The makers seem to have the theme firmly in mind, at least.

For a change, I'm not actually worried about the best stuff all being crammed into the trailer. The first movie managed to keep some of the money shots out of the trailers, and the best stuff was the interactions between the brothers, which doesn't really fit into a trailer.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#42 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36889 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

Looks a lot lighter than the previous movie, both literally and figuratively. Really, there's all of two scenes with the boys set at night, and all of their clips are in pretty bright locations.

Well the movie IS called "Out of the Shadows" :p

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#43 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

On the topic of visual tone: It bugs me a little that there still is this dull blue-ish color filter on everything. It clashes with the lightheartedness of the sillier aspects.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#44 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:35 PM

Well this came right out of nowhere. How can they do that? Do shootings and CGI without anyone dropping the news? Bay must be employing draconian security measures.

Geez, Bebop és Rocksteady.... Uncanny valley, much? They look like real animals that have CGI lip-movement, like thos horrible Air Buds doggie movies.

And Baxter Stockman is Nutty Professor Eddie Murphy? The Shredder grew a moustache and beard and stopped wearing a mask... why? And friggin' Oliver Queen from Arrow is Casey Jones, who has no long black hair or isn't rugged at all? GAAAH. Add Megan Fox and stupid hip-hop music and naturally, an alien invasion too, it would not be Bay staple without it... Just.... I was sooo hoping the TMNT movie reboot franchise died in its infancy. It generated lukewarm reviews and to my knowledge the income wasn't stellar either.

My big problem with the first one was how very very light and hollow it felt. Like the Remake of Clash of the Titans it managed to somehow remove all the depth and... Content... Of the original without being any shorter. It wasn't so much bad mostly as it was the thinnest shell of a chocolate Easter bunny possible and completely hollow inside.

-ZacWilliam, not terrible bad just so not anything.

I chuckled at that. SORRY? Depth? Methinks you haven't watched the original Clash of the Titans since you were a kid. IT has some awesome sets and amazing Harryhausen stop-motion animation, but that's all. In the writing and plot department, it underperformed seriously.

The new movie actually did the unthinkable, and made me care for those noname soldiers Medusa killed in the original, because here, despite knowing they'd all die here as well, they had character, they had motivation, they had an impact on Perseus.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 12 December 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#45 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36889 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

And Baxter Stockman is Nutty Professor Eddie Murphy?

Which would fit with his depiction in the current cartoon, pretty much.

an alien invasion too, it would not be Bay staple without it...

Because the Turtles have NEVER once in their ENTIRE history dealt with aliens or alien invasions...

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#46 Fishbug

Fishbug

Coming out of my can and I've been doing just fine

• Citizen
  • 11950 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

I eagerly await uncanny valley disgusting fly monster Baxter.

25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#47 (Deactivated) BillBarclay

(Deactivated) BillBarclay
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

[quote name="Shadewing" post="3101093" timestamp="1449967576"][/quote]Because the Turtles have NEVER once in their ENTIRE history dealt with aliens or alien invasions...[/quote]

then your clearly deluded & haven't read the comics or watched the various cartoon series!

coz even in the current cartoon series they're in outer space fighting aliens.

#48 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48492 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

It's called Sarcasm. It can be hard to parce online, but it exists in abundance.

Edited by Rust, 12 December 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#49 Otaku

Otaku

The Repentant Fool

• Citizen
  • 2875 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

so why is everyone suddenly OK with this? It still has all the stuff we hated in the TF films...

...because it is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and not Transformers?

For some of it is because for many of us, TMNT ranks below Transformers in terms of fandoms.

For some of us it is because we have lowered expectations by this point.

Still I would maintain that different expectations are appropriate to each series because of the differences in subject matter and at least the finer points of tone.  When the original Turtles fad was in swing, you expected some level of toilet humor because they lived in a sewer.  They were teenagers a mutant human/turtle hybrid is still closer to human than super-alien-robot-life.  Plus the stuff I liked least isn't in the trailer; I haven't watched a live action TF film since the first but I still cringe at the thought of the impromptu discussion on masturbation worked into that film for a lame joke.  If that is in here, I won't like it either... but at least it won't seem so bizarrely off subject either.

Have to admit the first movie Left me a bit cold, didn't hate it but I wasn't blown away.  Started watching this with mild interest all the way to the point that Bebop and Rocksteady showed up.  The way they come across in the trailer is just so right.  Even the scene at the end with the tank would usually have me rolling my eyes with the slow motion and near miss but seeing Rocksteady bellowing and doing a fist pump in the air has me grinning like an idiot.  This movie actually has my attention now.​

Yeah... it would have been horrible for most other shows but here?  It just fits.

The Allspark, where most of my commenting "hang-ups" were born!

#50 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 60363 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

Baxter Stockman was created as a black character. The original cartoon from the 80s made him white for some reason. 

#51 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18266 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

My big problem with the first one was how very very light and hollow it felt. Like the Remake of Clash of the Titans it managed to somehow remove all the depth and... Content... Of the original without being any shorter. It wasn't so much bad mostly as it was the thinnest shell of a chocolate Easter bunny possible and completely hollow inside.

-ZacWilliam, not terrible bad just so not anything.

I chuckled at that. SORRY? Depth? Methinks you haven't watched the original Clash of the Titans since you were a kid. IT has some awesome sets and amazing Harryhausen stop-motion animation, but that's all. In the writing and plot department, it underperformed seriously.
The new movie actually did the unthinkable, and made me care for those noname soldiers Medusa killed in the original, because here, despite knowing they'd all die here as well, they had character, they had motivation, they had an impact on Perseus.
I've seen both films about the same time in the past and sorry but I think you have it completely wrong.

I didn't mean "depth" like "literary worth depth" more like amount of story, content and character. Campy and 70s sword and sandle flick that it is the original still had lots of story, content and entertainment. The new version was an empty shallow breeze behind CGI. It left you wondering how you could have a movie that length with such rediculously little weight or content to it. It was pretty much exactly the same feeling as the first Bay TMNT film. A lot of sound and fury and CGI and nothing worth looking at for more than a half second underneath. Me and the wife were super disappointed in it.

-ZacWillam, but then I usually disagree pretty strongly with your taste in most things you post on here so I suppose this isn't surprising.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 13 December 2015 - 06:46 AM.

• 000 likes this
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#52 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18953 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

look.......as i keep on saying........ALL THINGS ARE SUBJECTIVE!!! so it's obvious that haters are gonna hate......regardless of their argument! so for the people that like/love this trailer & the films.....then at least we can have something to look forward to.....as well as speculate what we can expect to see in the movie! & as for the haters.....just ignore or block them! coz if they hate.....then why are they here on this thread......other than to ridicule?

Whoa, slow down there; deep breaths, everything is going to be okay.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#53 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5946 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

Baxter Stockman was created as a black character. The original cartoon from the 80s made him white for some reason. 

If you have a guy who is going to be be transmogrified by a fly, you go with the a familiar movie classic convention...

Edited by Blacknife, 14 December 2015 - 02:49 AM.

#54 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7959 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

Which raises the question of why he turns into a fly. And okay, yeah, in the olden days if you passed through that show you were turnin' into something eventually. Frickin' Mutagen everywhere. They should have just renamed him because there's zero Baxter Stockman in there. Imagine changing the character that way in this day and age! The 2003 show did a great job with him though.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#55 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48492 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

SUGAR!

#56 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10977 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

Looks alright, I'll most likely go see it.

#57 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Oh, I am my daddy! Wait... what?

• Supporter
  • 4816 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

I had mild interest in this movie, right up until I saw the turtle van launching manhole covers from the engine block. Sorry, the movie is already a feature length toy commercial without that.

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098

Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787

Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345

Actual friends: um....

#58 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3833 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

Wait, what? What board are you on?

Edited by Msol, 14 December 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#59 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Oh, I am my daddy! Wait... what?

• Supporter
  • 4816 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

I don't like the Bayformers movies either.

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098

Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787

Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345

Actual friends: um....

#60 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31264 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

I had mild interest in this movie, right up until I saw the turtle van launching manhole covers from the engine block. Sorry, the movie is already a feature length toy commercial without that.

So, you're upset that a movie based on a line of children's toys that aims to sell children's toys is... going to try to market children's toys?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users