Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Shrug : (21 July 2018 - 02:11 PM)

Anyone have experience with HFTD Seaspray? I just bought a used one (for a buck!) and all his hip ratchets broke on first movement. Does he just generally have fragile ratchets or is GPS starting?

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 09:24 PM)

Remember it, for it is the last thing you will hear before I *shuffle* EXPRESS MY FEELINGS IN SONG!!!!!!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Blitzwing, eh?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Huh.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 06:29 PM)

He leaks his crankcase, then we all catch a few new dents.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 02:58 PM)

Quick, somebody put his hand in some warm oil and see what happens.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 02:25 PM)

Guys, SSSHHHHH. Megatron is passed out right over there, and dude is a MEAN drunk. Don't wake him up.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 02:04 PM)

*checks Hasbro's offerings* so, never. :(

@  Jetstream C-18 : (20 July 2018 - 01:26 PM)

They're all hugged when Omega Supreme gets back

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 10:00 AM)

Megatron is hammered! Now, I, Starscream am leader of the Decepticons!

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 09:47 AM)

And megatron is so confused as to why no one is shooting at him anymore that he starts binge drinking.

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 AM)

Grimlock eats them for lunch.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 08:09 AM)

Optimus wants to free the Minicons. Ultra Magnus says it infringes states' rights.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 08:07 AM)

So... the nicest beings in the universe are fighting with each other?

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 08:01 AM)

No Decepticons. It's Autobots Civil War.

@  Gryllid : (20 July 2018 - 07:55 AM)

New York Comic Con is in October, maybe there?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:49 AM)

So.. thus far, Hasbro only revealed Autobots for Siege. Any ideas which show they will reveal the Decepticons at?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:44 AM)

So where did the "Stege" logo come from? All I can find is Sipher posting it an making fun of it. Where did that inconvenient version originate?

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 11:53 PM)

True. But it was due to Transformers' use of the name that Saban at the time couldn't use it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 11:38 PM)

But that's not necessarily a reference, just an attempt to use "Technobable" name.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 10:57 PM)

It's not Power Rangers, but Saban's VR Troopers was originally going to be titled "Cybertron".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 09:26 PM)

@paladin Energon would be too obvious. That's why I like Ore-13. It's not overt.. but still a nice nod.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2018 - 08:05 PM)

the original Sentai called it "Enetron." all they have to change is ONE LETTER.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 06:26 PM)

@saberblade True.. But I don't know.. I just want something simple like the "Energy source" in Beast Morphers to be Ore-13 or something like that.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 05:41 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: Operation Overdrive did have a weapon called the "Transtech Armor" ;)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

*sigh* This is going to be a long subline.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

I already hate the overuse of "STEGE".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 04:16 PM)

I just want Power Ranger refferenes in TF and Vice versa now.

@  Onyxstrike : (19 July 2018 - 11:32 AM)

I think Hasbro might be after more than just my money this time around with these reveals.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 02:39 PM)

@TheMightyMollusk Thanks for clarifying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 12:34 PM)

@Otaku, most people were oblivious. The smart ones did their emergency shopping the day before, so there wasn't much left anyway.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 09:37 AM)

@wonko Only happened a few times and I don't remember the exact details, but yeah.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 08:06 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Is that really the same thing? I mean, it is if the people were casually shopping and oblivious to the danger to them or the employees of the store, but if they were desperately trying to get needed supplies themselves... or am I just supposed to be smart enough to know you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't the former? >_<

@  wonko the sane? : (18 July 2018 - 07:59 AM)

Okay, what? I've had to explain why the TV wouldn't work when the power is out to children, but never to an adult in their right mind.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM)

*When I worked at the cable call center, some people wondered why their TV wouldn't work when there was an outage...

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM)

w

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM)

We had people still trying to shop while we were being pushed by state police to shut the store down due to flooding. The police finally had to help herd them out.

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:36 PM)

Or working for an airline and people complaining about not being able to take off in severe weather, and expecting us to know when the bad weather will end. *points at window*

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Outages/fire alarms are fun when you work retail and people complain that they can't keep shopping.

@  Echowarrior : (17 July 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Outages occasionally happened at the fulfillment center I used to work at. Never fun.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

Apparently the early shift (i.e. those who didn't participate in the walkout) were sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for power to return, while the late shift couldn't even enter the building.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 04:18 PM)

Oh, wow. I thought the news about the website outtage would have been the topper, but that pretty much wins.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM)

Whoopsie.

First the union called for a two-day strike yesterday, and then today the entire city where the Amazon warehouse I work at is located apparently had a power outage.

So,uh. Seems like Amazon's Prime Day really didn't go well this year.

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

It wasn't just blander and more polite bacon like I was expecting

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 July 2018 - 09:51 AM)

Canadian bacon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 09:15 AM)

And the even more important question is: is that ballpit deep enough to conceal a body... what?

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 05:35 AM)

THe more important question is if they have a ball pit

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 July 2018 - 10:18 PM)

How many attendees on average does TFcon get? And how about TFNation?

Photo
- - - - -

Costa's Run Is An Under-Rated Gem

IDW Comics Costa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#101 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7646 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

Again, that's what the editor would be for to remind the writer of.

The Prowl thing was doubly annoying as Schmidt edited the book that established Machiavelli Prowl, he could and should have told Costa that having him be the one who rashly played the hero was grossly out of character, but no, then the attempt to 'fix' it with a spotlight didn't really help as it did nothing to help fix his transformation into just another guy.

For all we know, he did. And maybe Costa said, "Thanks, now let me get back to telling my story my way", as is his prerogative.

This wasn't some long-established continuity he was upturning. It was a quite recent change that happened in essentially a backup story. And much as I prefered Roberts' take, I can't fault the writer of the ongoing for not feeling beholden to that.

Took the Ironhide mini to redeem him, though the resurrection that voided all memory of his misdeed did feel like a "get out of jail free" card.

Nothing wrong with that, shared characters like these deserve "get out of jail free" cards. What, am I supposed to hold a grudge against Ironhide forever because one guy wrote him terribly?

If someone writes, say, Preacher 2 and undoes Cassidy's crimes, that's something else, then.

I think McCarthy gets a bit much flak re: "he disregarded Furman's stuff".

I'm not convinced that's actually the case; the way his story was structured, there wasn't really much of anything to touch on in the first 3-4 issues to establish this, and so people read it as "disregarding old stuff".

Nowadays I don't devote much headspace to stories I didn't like, so I don't even remember most of my complaints about AMH. But I do remember being amused that the combiner process was apparently perfected off-panel, and wondering why the Decepticons didn't just fix up the side effects of Ore-13 while they were at it.

To be fair, Mirage's original character was conceived as "unsure of the Autobot cause," as well as being wealthy and aloof (causes friction with more "blue-collar" Autobots?) and the episode writer ran with that, so it does have deeper roots in the franchise than just that one episode.

Yeah, but the Autobots didn't read his bio any more than they watched "Traitor", so the story really should have done more to make us understand why they'd be so quick to believe the worst about Mirage. There was a quick line about him holding different opinions about the war, but that's not nearly enough to justify Ironhide's almost psychotic mistrust.

I stand by my belief that a large percentage of fans who got pissy about that only did so because they don't actually read other comics, and Transformers comics had never actually truly had to deal with the pretty standard "one writer booted, new writer takes over with a fresh start" process before AHM, nor the "time skip, OMG things are different/that's the point, you doofus, DC literally JUST did this" narrative. 

As someone who's spent more time on comic book message boards than Transformers ones...no. Pissiness about this is not tempered by knowledge that it happens a lot.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

#102 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 13447 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

(The humans dying in AHM never seemed as bad as some said. About on terms with the first two Bay films.)

And we all know how much people love the Bay films for their handling of pointless shock-value death (human or otherwise).

Seriously, this whole "it happens elsewhere so why be this bothered" thing might have something to it, but it doesn't really invalidate that the design inconsistency and sudden dip in writing quality were not things to be liked. When they happen elsewhere it's an annoyance that people have become numb to at the very least, but it's not excused there either.

Furthermore, I don't really recall people getting terribly upset specifically because Furman was being replaced AT ALL. It seemed to have more to do with the COST of replacing the writer at that precise point: the fact that this sudden shift in direction was going to truncate a long-game plot he had been building over several arcs and involving a well-reeived wider variety of characters and concepts. All to essentially be shelved in favor of what was shaping up to be a nostalgia fest that wasn't beholden to the idea of continuing any of those threads.

Then again, I only have my Allspark discussion recall to work with, other boards might have certainly gotten more riled up about "anyone but Furman" coming in.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#103 Rycochet

Rycochet

Mechanical television star!

• Citizen
  • 1762 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

For all we know, he did. And maybe Costa said, "Thanks, now let me get back to telling my story my way", as is his prerogative.

This wasn't some long-established continuity he was upturning. It was a quite recent change that happened in essentially a backup story. And much as I preferred Roberts' take, I can't fault the writer of the ongoing for not feeling beholden to that.

Even ignoring the Machiavelli aspect to Prowl, it still didn't fit with the character as established by IDW at all and wasn't really a story that needed to be told. Two thirds of the Autobot ranks are rash do-gooders who would put themselves into the line of fire because it's the right thing to do, I don't see much point in turning one of the few that think before they act into that same, bland heroic mush then decimating the Transformers population to justify it, their war becoming a galaxy wide conflict fought by a race that numbers in the 5 digit range.