Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (28 February 2020 - 04:45 AM)

Did I say that? I must have been joking.

@  Sabrblade : (27 February 2020 - 11:46 PM)

And you say you have no sense of humor, Nevermore. ;)

@  Nevermore : (27 February 2020 - 09:07 PM)

Gonzo, start a thread in the main "Transformers Discussion" forum with that information in the title instead.

@  Sabrblade : (27 February 2020 - 08:33 PM)

Gonzo, please don't go spoiling things like that in the chat box.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 February 2020 - 05:53 PM)

Neat.

@  Darth Gonzo : (27 February 2020 - 05:53 PM)

Tarn is in Cyberverse.

@  Benbot : (27 February 2020 - 10:24 AM)

I really don't like that guy. Show the toys, not your face. I'm tired of looking at him.

@  RCX : (27 February 2020 - 09:25 AM)

Toy Galaxy is excellent.

@  Benbot : (27 February 2020 - 09:03 AM)

I think you'll be save in Greenland.

@  CORVUS : (27 February 2020 - 01:12 AM)

Toy Galaxy is my favorite overall toy-related channel on YouTube.

@  fourteenwings : (26 February 2020 - 11:29 PM)

Last year's coverage via Toy YouTubers was brilliant. However, since YouTube's new (unfortunately necessary) guidelines the companies barely invited any of them back, so all we get is super-popular collector's info.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 February 2020 - 09:19 PM)

If it weren't for Toy Galaxy's coverage video, I would not have known about the Defenders of the Earth figures. New toys of Flash Gordon, The Phantom, and Mandrake the Magician? In 2020? I would have said you were smoking something strong.

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:32 PM)

So the question is... has Madagascar closed down all its ports yet?

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:31 PM)

A couple that got infected attended a Carnival event with over 300 people in attendance.

@  Nevermore : (26 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

So the Corona virus keeps getting closer to where I live. Several confirmed cases in my federal state already.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 February 2020 - 02:20 PM)

Man, only having collector sites to get Toy Fair news from sucks. Did you know there is a 4" line of kids figures for the new Avengers game coming?

@  Dekafox : (26 February 2020 - 11:54 AM)

Since Omega already exists they could name it Auntie

@  Otaku : (26 February 2020 - 10:07 AM)

Oh, and one last Titan,provided we can fudge things a bit to include a character from Transformers: Animated; how about something at least resembling TF:A Omega Supreme?

@  Otaku : (26 February 2020 - 10:05 AM)

How about they find a way to make a mold they can use for both Broadside and Tidal Wave?

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 February 2020 - 02:13 AM)

Optimus Maximus, the mysterious titan of the Arisen, also Iaconus from Cyberverse.

@  TriBlurr : (25 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

I think the only other Titan class character that would interest me after Scoponok would be Tidal Wave

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 07:34 PM)

A Titan would have more room for other toys to hang out, assuming one has the table space for it.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Play wise which would be better a Commander Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside or a Titan Class Aircraft Carrier Mode Broadside?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 February 2020 - 01:53 PM)

I'd be interested in a deluxe or voyager Fort Max in Armada flashback red-and-green.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:49 AM)

I'd honestly be more interested in Commander-class Scorponok and Fort Max. I don't have the space for Titans.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 February 2020 - 10:44 AM)

Make Commander class city bots to annoy collectors too

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2020 - 10:43 AM)

Make two Broadsides. One Voyager-sized that only turns into a jet, and one Titan-sized that only turns into an aircraft carrier. Piss off everyone on both sides of the scale.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Since they seem to also go by the oh-so holy cartoon scale thing, he'd probably be a Commander Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 February 2020 - 10:34 AM)

Broadside is an aircraft carrier. He should probably be metroplex sized.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 February 2020 - 10:21 AM)

Broadside's more of a Commander Class.

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 04:47 AM)

I think Broadside should be the next Titan Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

I tan nicely! But also have a family history of cancer... so... yeah, pasty for me it is.

@  Otaku : (23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM)

I really do begin to get sunburned after about 5 minutes of direct exposure, nowadays.  Side effect of already being pasty then going on a particular medication.  Yay?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2020 - 01:36 PM)

It makes me burn. Accursed daystar.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony Gold's Enormous Robotech Clusterfracas

Harmony Gold Robotech Macross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18735 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

I was talking to my wife about Harmony Gold and Robotech for a project recently, including the myriad failed follow-up and legal issues that have surrounded the whole thing. She's interested in learning more, and my knowledge comes from various bits and pieces picked up over many years.

Just wondering if anyone knows a good, solid source or some good articles that cover these subjects in-depth? Wiki doesn't go into as much detail as I'd like, so I figured I'd reach out for some others' opinions, as my interaction with the franchise has been mostly periphery, rather than as an active fan myself.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#2 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

The extended round of lawsuits between FASA and Harmony Gold might help shed some light on matters, but I'd have to ask around for links on those. The best I can give you for this one right now is Sarna.net, but they're in even worse shape than the TF Wikia.

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 07 November 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#3 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18735 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ah, thanks. That will be useful. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#4 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4956 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Makes me miss the days Carl Macek and I would argue about the future of Robotech at the old Creation Entertainment Sci-Fi conventions here in NYC.

And don't even get me started about those heady days before the Akira movie was released.

** wipes away a tear **

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"I love you 'cause you kill people."

Edited by TSM-in-N.Y., 07 November 2015 - 07:16 PM.

KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#5 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Ah, thanks. That will be useful. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

IIRC, FASA actually won the first lawsuit.

The issue came when FASA sued someone else a few years later for copyright infringement. Remember "Exo-Squad"? The company that made the toys solicited a new mecha that was pretty much a dead ringer for one of the original designs from Battletech. FASA won, something that the toy company never forgot.

Well, guess who wound up with the license for Robotech product when the franchise was revived in the early 1990s...

Harmony Gold and the toy company in question compared notes, realized that they had a mutual enemy in FASA, and filed suit. This time, FASA lost on a technicality. FASA was forced to spend absurd amounts of money reprinting their manuals in order to delete not just the Macross images, but all images borrowed from other mecha shows (it's my understanding that Sunrise doesn't care and didn't mind if FASA continued to use the images) as well as the images FASA itself had commissioned from Victor Entertainment.

FASA might have survived (the sale of FASA Interactive to Microsoft covered the bulk of the expenses and the settlement), but other issues started hitting the company around this time that killed it.

FASA's IP rights were split between WizKids (which was co-founded by a former big shot at FASA) and Fantasy Productions (a German company that served as FASA's distributor for mainland Europe). Problem was, WizKids decided to do Mechwarrior: Dark Age so that they could create a Battletech game that was compatible with their "clicky" game system. FanPro was forced to go along for the ride due to the terms of the IP split, even after it became apparent that most fans hated "ClickyTech" and the whole thing was going down like the Hindenburg.

Finally, Catalyst Game Labs (co-founded by Randal Bills, another former FASA big shot) managed to acquire the IP rights to Battletech and Shadowrun from the two companies. They're trying their best to bring it back, but Dark Age did significant damage to the franchise that they're still trying to overcome. It should say something that Catalyst had to have Kickstarter finance the video games for these two franchises.

#6 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Just remembered -

I started a thread over on Battletech fansite Mordel.net about Harmony Gold's failed effort to sue Hasbro over the Joe convention exclusive Jetfire toy a few years ago. I've got links in there to various websites talking about matters.

You might be able to ask there for details about the FASA / HG blow-up.

#7 tec

tec

Everyone needs a spaceship bunny

• Supporter
  • 31845 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

Harmourselfs Gold where to even begin...

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#8 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

The new Macross show is starting soonish, incidentally. It's called Macross Delta and will apparently be Valks vs Valks.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#9 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15486 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

Harmony Gold is such a archaic sounding name for a company. Like, who is going to look through anime titles and think "Oh, this ones by Harmony Gold! We should get it since I bet it's way better than the titles from Harmony Bronze."

Woooo!

#10 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Harmony Gold is such a archaic sounding name for a company. Like, who is going to look through anime titles and think "Oh, this ones by Harmony Gold! We should get it since I bet it's way better than the titles from Harmony Bronze."

It was the 1980s.

Need I say more?

#11 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 28437 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

The new Macross show is starting soonish, incidentally. It's called Macross Delta and will apparently be Valks vs Valks.

...are they really?  Damn.

Ironbite-bout damn time.

xC9l3eY.gif

#12 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

...are they really?  Damn.

Ironbite-bout damn time.

According to interviews, yeah. Also some Regults and Battle Pod and Destroids show up too in the trailer.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#13 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18735 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

Oh, they finally got something new off the ground?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#14 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19343 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Oh, they finally got something new off the ground?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What do you mean "finally"?  Macross Frontier came out a few years ago, reviving the franchise as far as TV anime go (merch-wise, it's been going again ever since Yamato - now Arcadia - started crafting their high-end collector figures in the early 2000's.  Bandai, meanwhile, has been producing the Frontier-related merch), and there've been all manner of supplementary materials and companion movies and such ever since.  Delta is just the next new entry in the franchise, as far as Japan is concerned.  Not a grand revival or anything.

At this point in time, Macross has absolutely nothing to do with Robotech, barring the copyright trolls over at Harmony Gold blocking its release in North America on shady legal grounds.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 11 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#15 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18735 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Did it? Sorry, the last thing I saw seemed to indicate they keep spinning their wheels, the last thing I remember them trying being a Kickstarter that didn't work. Or did it? I thought it fell through.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#16 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23307 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

The Kickstarter was for Robotech Academy and it didn't work out. Doesn't seem like much more news came out ever since.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#17 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

Slowly losing myself in a good way

• Citizen
  • 6201 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Yeah the Kickstarter was for Robotech which is only very faintly if even at all related to Macross anymore.  I mean what the only thing that was really related to Macross was the very first story arch which made up the bulk of the series.

HG should just produce Sentinels and be done with it.  The Robotech horse is kinda dead and you can only get so much glue out of the bones..

And I'm a big Robotech fan...  Even I know there's not much of a future left in it with out it being contrived (Shadow Chronicles anyone?) 

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#18 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19343 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:09 AM

Did it? Sorry, the last thing I saw seemed to indicate they keep spinning their wheels, the last thing I remember them trying being a Kickstarter that didn't work. Or did it? I thought it fell through.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

As I said, Macross and Robotech by this point are completely different entities, related only by the legal snarls that prevent further Macross materials from being imported to North America for as long as Harmony Gold continues to camp the trademark.  Macross has been revived and has been going strong in Japan for the last several years, and Harmony Gold can't lay claim to any of that.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 14 November 2015 - 04:11 AM.

#19 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Another Year, Another Evolution of the Dark Knight!

• Staff
  • 13980 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:45 AM

I still enjoy Robotech even now but...

Yeah, Harmony Gold seems to habe a dead mans grip on the rights to Robotech at this point. Since they failed to follow up on the, admittedly contrived Shadow Chronicles, then tried to Kickstarter a side story that would likely not have given Robotech an ending. They now seem content to do what they've been doing. Continued rereleases of the existing series. Strangle the distribution of anything Macross related unless they get money. And sue anything that even tangentially looks like Robotech.the 'newest' Robotech related thing they did was dub Love Live Alive, which simply retells the New Generation part of Robotech. With a little bit of extra footage..

Oher than Macross II, Macross Plus and the ADV Dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, we won't get anything. Not Macross Zero, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, or the upcoming Macross Delta.

fslookup.jpg

#20 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

I wonder if there's any value to my Sentinals VHS tape..