Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:08 PM)

I never even bothered to see it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2019 - 10:30 AM)

O never hated it, the whole thing was an Indiana Jones movie. I didn't care for the CGI, but that's just nature of the beast.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2019 - 07:58 AM)

sidebar- has enough time passed that we can stop irrationally hating "Crystal Skull" yet?

@  Telly : (18 July 2019 - 09:18 PM)

after 38 years and i dont know how many viewings, today is the first time i noticed indiana jones doesnt use a revolver in the bar fight in raiders...

@  Kalidor : (18 July 2019 - 05:33 PM)

@Sabrblade Depends on when you're here. I used to have the backups happen once daily, now I have them happen once per hour so you might often see a hesitation at the top of every hour for 30-45 seconds.

@  Locoman : (18 July 2019 - 05:11 PM)

isn't that just Modern Family

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:45 PM)

that's right. my gym teacher is a clown. new series coming to disney channel next fall

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

all these clowns are making me run really fast.

@  Sabrblade : (18 July 2019 - 12:10 PM)

All this awesome SDCC news is really making these boards run slowly.

@  Bass X0 : (18 July 2019 - 07:54 AM)

Racism must be stopped. No matter the cost.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Tine to stop buttering it up.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 July 2019 - 09:43 PM)

Well shucks.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 July 2019 - 08:14 PM)

The joke is a husk of its former self.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 01:15 PM)

Pop.

@  Shrug : (17 July 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Something something... corn bread?

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2019 - 07:21 AM)

Ok, ok. Enough of the puns and let's all thank Kal for the amaizeing job he did.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 06:24 AM)

by now I think this jokes' been creamed.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

The kernel.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

Who gives the orders in cybernetic warfare?

@  unluckiness : (16 July 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Zea mays

@  Xellos : (16 July 2019 - 09:53 PM)

Isn't that a kernel of truth.

@  Paladin : (16 July 2019 - 08:43 PM)

huh. suddenly the Squawk is popping.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Not placing much stalk in this conversation.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 06:22 PM)

That's so corny.

@  Shrug : (16 July 2019 - 06:07 PM)

It's absurd how happy I am that a post of mine made the front page of Reddit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Aww, shucks.

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:45 PM)

Not till I taste the corn

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 05:43 PM)

You guys aren't being very nice. You're supposed to tell me I did "good, really good!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Just don't go beyond the rows.

@  Patch : (16 July 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Left over from the failed Beast Machines sequel, Beast Farmers

@  Patch : (16 July 2019 - 05:39 PM)

It's techno-organic corn

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:26 PM)

We have a cornfield? Can I get a few ears?

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:56 PM)

And lastly, if it becomes too much hassle to deal with - it might just get sent into the cornfield and replaced with a Discord box anyway. So cool it.

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Second thing is we do actually have the ability to ban users specifically from using Shoutbox if it's being abused like that

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Hey all - just a reminder and heads up. The Shoutbox has been kept here as a courtesy because it's what you folks like in lieu of Discord - but a few things to remember is that P&R should stay in P&R and isn't really something that needs to be dragged out here in the most public of spaces.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Done.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 July 2019 - 10:25 AM)

You can make a new one. I doubt anybody would stop you.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 10:16 AM)

There was a thread but it appears to have disappeared. Might have been lost in one of the older forum sweeps.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 July 2019 - 09:58 AM)

Yeah this is pretty much circumventing the fact that we have different rules for political talk.

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony Gold's Enormous Robotech Clusterfracas

Harmony Gold Robotech Macross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18598 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

I was talking to my wife about Harmony Gold and Robotech for a project recently, including the myriad failed follow-up and legal issues that have surrounded the whole thing. She's interested in learning more, and my knowledge comes from various bits and pieces picked up over many years.

Just wondering if anyone knows a good, solid source or some good articles that cover these subjects in-depth? Wiki doesn't go into as much detail as I'd like, so I figured I'd reach out for some others' opinions, as my interaction with the franchise has been mostly periphery, rather than as an active fan myself.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#2 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

The extended round of lawsuits between FASA and Harmony Gold might help shed some light on matters, but I'd have to ask around for links on those. The best I can give you for this one right now is Sarna.net, but they're in even worse shape than the TF Wikia.

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 07 November 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#3 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18598 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ah, thanks. That will be useful. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#4 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4956 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Makes me miss the days Carl Macek and I would argue about the future of Robotech at the old Creation Entertainment Sci-Fi conventions here in NYC.

And don't even get me started about those heady days before the Akira movie was released.

** wipes away a tear **

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"I love you 'cause you kill people."

Edited by TSM-in-N.Y., 07 November 2015 - 07:16 PM.

KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#5 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Ah, thanks. That will be useful. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

IIRC, FASA actually won the first lawsuit.

The issue came when FASA sued someone else a few years later for copyright infringement. Remember "Exo-Squad"? The company that made the toys solicited a new mecha that was pretty much a dead ringer for one of the original designs from Battletech. FASA won, something that the toy company never forgot.

Well, guess who wound up with the license for Robotech product when the franchise was revived in the early 1990s...

Harmony Gold and the toy company in question compared notes, realized that they had a mutual enemy in FASA, and filed suit. This time, FASA lost on a technicality. FASA was forced to spend absurd amounts of money reprinting their manuals in order to delete not just the Macross images, but all images borrowed from other mecha shows (it's my understanding that Sunrise doesn't care and didn't mind if FASA continued to use the images) as well as the images FASA itself had commissioned from Victor Entertainment.

FASA might have survived (the sale of FASA Interactive to Microsoft covered the bulk of the expenses and the settlement), but other issues started hitting the company around this time that killed it.

FASA's IP rights were split between WizKids (which was co-founded by a former big shot at FASA) and Fantasy Productions (a German company that served as FASA's distributor for mainland Europe). Problem was, WizKids decided to do Mechwarrior: Dark Age so that they could create a Battletech game that was compatible with their "clicky" game system. FanPro was forced to go along for the ride due to the terms of the IP split, even after it became apparent that most fans hated "ClickyTech" and the whole thing was going down like the Hindenburg.

Finally, Catalyst Game Labs (co-founded by Randal Bills, another former FASA big shot) managed to acquire the IP rights to Battletech and Shadowrun from the two companies. They're trying their best to bring it back, but Dark Age did significant damage to the franchise that they're still trying to overcome. It should say something that Catalyst had to have Kickstarter finance the video games for these two franchises.

#6 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Just remembered -

I started a thread over on Battletech fansite Mordel.net about Harmony Gold's failed effort to sue Hasbro over the Joe convention exclusive Jetfire toy a few years ago. I've got links in there to various websites talking about matters.

You might be able to ask there for details about the FASA / HG blow-up.

#7 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30587 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

Harmourselfs Gold where to even begin...

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#8 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

The new Macross show is starting soonish, incidentally. It's called Macross Delta and will apparently be Valks vs Valks.

PM me if you're bored!

#9 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15409 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

Harmony Gold is such a archaic sounding name for a company. Like, who is going to look through anime titles and think "Oh, this ones by Harmony Gold! We should get it since I bet it's way better than the titles from Harmony Bronze."

Woooo!

#10 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Harmony Gold is such a archaic sounding name for a company. Like, who is going to look through anime titles and think "Oh, this ones by Harmony Gold! We should get it since I bet it's way better than the titles from Harmony Bronze."

It was the 1980s.

Need I say more?

#11 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27745 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

The new Macross show is starting soonish, incidentally. It's called Macross Delta and will apparently be Valks vs Valks.

...are they really?  Damn.

Ironbite-bout damn time.

xC9l3eY.gif

#12 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

...are they really?  Damn.

Ironbite-bout damn time.

According to interviews, yeah. Also some Regults and Battle Pod and Destroids show up too in the trailer.

PM me if you're bored!

#13 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18598 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

Oh, they finally got something new off the ground?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#14 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19311 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Oh, they finally got something new off the ground?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What do you mean "finally"?  Macross Frontier came out a few years ago, reviving the franchise as far as TV anime go (merch-wise, it's been going again ever since Yamato - now Arcadia - started crafting their high-end collector figures in the early 2000's.  Bandai, meanwhile, has been producing the Frontier-related merch), and there've been all manner of supplementary materials and companion movies and such ever since.  Delta is just the next new entry in the franchise, as far as Japan is concerned.  Not a grand revival or anything.

At this point in time, Macross has absolutely nothing to do with Robotech, barring the copyright trolls over at Harmony Gold blocking its release in North America on shady legal grounds.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 11 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#15 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18598 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Did it? Sorry, the last thing I saw seemed to indicate they keep spinning their wheels, the last thing I remember them trying being a Kickstarter that didn't work. Or did it? I thought it fell through.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#16 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22272 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

The Kickstarter was for Robotech Academy and it didn't work out. Doesn't seem like much more news came out ever since.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#17 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

Slowly losing myself in a good way

• Citizen
  • 6177 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Yeah the Kickstarter was for Robotech which is only very faintly if even at all related to Macross anymore.  I mean what the only thing that was really related to Macross was the very first story arch which made up the bulk of the series.

HG should just produce Sentinels and be done with it.  The Robotech horse is kinda dead and you can only get so much glue out of the bones..

And I'm a big Robotech fan...  Even I know there's not much of a future left in it with out it being contrived (Shadow Chronicles anyone?) 

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#18 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19311 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:09 AM

Did it? Sorry, the last thing I saw seemed to indicate they keep spinning their wheels, the last thing I remember them trying being a Kickstarter that didn't work. Or did it? I thought it fell through.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

As I said, Macross and Robotech by this point are completely different entities, related only by the legal snarls that prevent further Macross materials from being imported to North America for as long as Harmony Gold continues to camp the trademark.  Macross has been revived and has been going strong in Japan for the last several years, and Harmony Gold can't lay claim to any of that.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 14 November 2015 - 04:11 AM.

#19 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knights Final Fantasy!

• Staff
  • 13061 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:45 AM

I still enjoy Robotech even now but...

Yeah, Harmony Gold seems to habe a dead mans grip on the rights to Robotech at this point. Since they failed to follow up on the, admittedly contrived Shadow Chronicles, then tried to Kickstarter a side story that would likely not have given Robotech an ending. They now seem content to do what they've been doing. Continued rereleases of the existing series. Strangle the distribution of anything Macross related unless they get money. And sue anything that even tangentially looks like Robotech.the 'newest' Robotech related thing they did was dub Love Live Alive, which simply retells the New Generation part of Robotech. With a little bit of extra footage..

Oher than Macross II, Macross Plus and the ADV Dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, we won't get anything. Not Macross Zero, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, or the upcoming Macross Delta.

fslookup.jpg

#20 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

I wonder if there's any value to my Sentinals VHS tape..