Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony Gold's Enormous Robotech Clusterfracas

Harmony Gold Robotech Macross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

I was talking to my wife about Harmony Gold and Robotech for a project recently, including the myriad failed follow-up and legal issues that have surrounded the whole thing. She's interested in learning more, and my knowledge comes from various bits and pieces picked up over many years.

Just wondering if anyone knows a good, solid source or some good articles that cover these subjects in-depth? Wiki doesn't go into as much detail as I'd like, so I figured I'd reach out for some others' opinions, as my interaction with the franchise has been mostly periphery, rather than as an active fan myself.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#2 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

The extended round of lawsuits between FASA and Harmony Gold might help shed some light on matters, but I'd have to ask around for links on those. The best I can give you for this one right now is Sarna.net, but they're in even worse shape than the TF Wikia.

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 07 November 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#3 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ah, thanks. That will be useful. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#4 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4956 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Makes me miss the days Carl Macek and I would argue about the future of Robotech at the old Creation Entertainment Sci-Fi conventions here in NYC.

And don't even get me started about those heady days before the Akira movie was released.

** wipes away a tear **

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"I love you 'cause you kill people."

Edited by TSM-in-N.Y., 07 November 2015 - 07:16 PM.

KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#5 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Ah, thanks. That will be useful. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

IIRC, FASA actually won the first lawsuit.

The issue came when FASA sued someone else a few years later for copyright infringement. Remember "Exo-Squad"? The company that made the toys solicited a new mecha that was pretty much a dead ringer for one of the original designs from Battletech. FASA won, something that the toy company never forgot.

Well, guess who wound up with the license for Robotech product when the franchise was revived in the early 1990s...

Harmony Gold and the toy company in question compared notes, realized that they had a mutual enemy in FASA, and filed suit. This time, FASA lost on a technicality. FASA was forced to spend absurd amounts of money reprinting their manuals in order to delete not just the Macross images, but all images borrowed from other mecha shows (it's my understanding that Sunrise doesn't care and didn't mind if FASA continued to use the images) as well as the images FASA itself had commissioned from Victor Entertainment.

FASA might have survived (the sale of FASA Interactive to Microsoft covered the bulk of the expenses and the settlement), but other issues started hitting the company around this time that killed it.

FASA's IP rights were split between WizKids (which was co-founded by a former big shot at FASA) and Fantasy Productions (a German company that served as FASA's distributor for mainland Europe). Problem was, WizKids decided to do Mechwarrior: Dark Age so that they could create a Battletech game that was compatible with their "clicky" game system. FanPro was forced to go along for the ride due to the terms of the IP split, even after it became apparent that most fans hated "ClickyTech" and the whole thing was going down like the Hindenburg.

Finally, Catalyst Game Labs (co-founded by Randal Bills, another former FASA big shot) managed to acquire the IP rights to Battletech and Shadowrun from the two companies. They're trying their best to bring it back, but Dark Age did significant damage to the franchise that they're still trying to overcome. It should say something that Catalyst had to have Kickstarter finance the video games for these two franchises.

#6 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Just remembered -

I started a thread over on Battletech fansite Mordel.net about Harmony Gold's failed effort to sue Hasbro over the Joe convention exclusive Jetfire toy a few years ago. I've got links in there to various websites talking about matters.

You might be able to ask there for details about the FASA / HG blow-up.

#7 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31285 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

Harmourselfs Gold where to even begin...

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#8 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

The new Macross show is starting soonish, incidentally. It's called Macross Delta and will apparently be Valks vs Valks.

PM me if you're bored!

#9 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15453 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

Harmony Gold is such a archaic sounding name for a company. Like, who is going to look through anime titles and think "Oh, this ones by Harmony Gold! We should get it since I bet it's way better than the titles from Harmony Bronze."

Woooo!

#10 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Harmony Gold is such a archaic sounding name for a company. Like, who is going to look through anime titles and think "Oh, this ones by Harmony Gold! We should get it since I bet it's way better than the titles from Harmony Bronze."

It was the 1980s.

Need I say more?

#11 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28150 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

The new Macross show is starting soonish, incidentally. It's called Macross Delta and will apparently be Valks vs Valks.

...are they really?  Damn.

Ironbite-bout damn time.

xC9l3eY.gif

#12 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

...are they really?  Damn.

Ironbite-bout damn time.

According to interviews, yeah. Also some Regults and Battle Pod and Destroids show up too in the trailer.

PM me if you're bored!

#13 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

Oh, they finally got something new off the ground?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#14 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Oh, they finally got something new off the ground?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What do you mean "finally"?  Macross Frontier came out a few years ago, reviving the franchise as far as TV anime go (merch-wise, it's been going again ever since Yamato - now Arcadia - started crafting their high-end collector figures in the early 2000's.  Bandai, meanwhile, has been producing the Frontier-related merch), and there've been all manner of supplementary materials and companion movies and such ever since.  Delta is just the next new entry in the franchise, as far as Japan is concerned.  Not a grand revival or anything.

At this point in time, Macross has absolutely nothing to do with Robotech, barring the copyright trolls over at Harmony Gold blocking its release in North America on shady legal grounds.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 11 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#15 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Did it? Sorry, the last thing I saw seemed to indicate they keep spinning their wheels, the last thing I remember them trying being a Kickstarter that didn't work. Or did it? I thought it fell through.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#16 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22904 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

The Kickstarter was for Robotech Academy and it didn't work out. Doesn't seem like much more news came out ever since.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#17 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

Slowly losing myself in a good way

• Citizen
  • 6195 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Yeah the Kickstarter was for Robotech which is only very faintly if even at all related to Macross anymore.  I mean what the only thing that was really related to Macross was the very first story arch which made up the bulk of the series.

HG should just produce Sentinels and be done with it.  The Robotech horse is kinda dead and you can only get so much glue out of the bones..

And I'm a big Robotech fan...  Even I know there's not much of a future left in it with out it being contrived (Shadow Chronicles anyone?) 

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#18 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:09 AM

Did it? Sorry, the last thing I saw seemed to indicate they keep spinning their wheels, the last thing I remember them trying being a Kickstarter that didn't work. Or did it? I thought it fell through.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

As I said, Macross and Robotech by this point are completely different entities, related only by the legal snarls that prevent further Macross materials from being imported to North America for as long as Harmony Gold continues to camp the trademark.  Macross has been revived and has been going strong in Japan for the last several years, and Harmony Gold can't lay claim to any of that.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 14 November 2015 - 04:11 AM.

#19 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13637 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:45 AM

I still enjoy Robotech even now but...

Yeah, Harmony Gold seems to habe a dead mans grip on the rights to Robotech at this point. Since they failed to follow up on the, admittedly contrived Shadow Chronicles, then tried to Kickstarter a side story that would likely not have given Robotech an ending. They now seem content to do what they've been doing. Continued rereleases of the existing series. Strangle the distribution of anything Macross related unless they get money. And sue anything that even tangentially looks like Robotech.the 'newest' Robotech related thing they did was dub Love Live Alive, which simply retells the New Generation part of Robotech. With a little bit of extra footage..

Oher than Macross II, Macross Plus and the ADV Dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, we won't get anything. Not Macross Zero, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, or the upcoming Macross Delta.

fslookup.jpg

#20 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

I wonder if there's any value to my Sentinals VHS tape..