Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

Photo

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #46 Review & Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
190 replies to this topic

#1 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:02 AM

So last issue left our pals the Scavengers facing the tender mercies of Fortress Maximus. This leads to the first one-page MTMTE issue. Tune in next month for issue 47, "Fort Max Digs Some Graves"!

Thankfully things are rarely that simple in MTMTE. Roberts actually tends to do one-sided battles pretty well, so it's no surprise that works out. Of course he also manages to give some nicely unexpected moments in the process, and whether by accident or design some concerns that readers expressed from the previous issue are addressed. However, some of it is rather pointed—rather than being conveyed through the story, the characters take moments out for "The More You Know" lessons. It's also a little strange that the Scavengers chide each other about not recognizing mental conditions while not caring that Fort Max is clearly still feeling some trauma from Last Stand of the Wreckers.

As per usual, some interesting concepts work their way into the story. It's interesting to realize that even with all the computers and technology the Transformers use/are, the war didn't leave them with a lot of centralized information resources. Autopedia is the closest thing they have, and that of course carries a whole slew of problems. Roboids are also rather interesting, albeit in that horrific-yet-fascinating way that Roberts loves to indulge. The conversion sure doesn't sound reversible, but Transformers have come back from things that seemed more permanent (like death!) before.

I liked the way this adventure turned out. By itself this side trip doesn't meant a whole lot for anyone but the characters involved, but it sets up a lot of future ideas. Having both the Scavengers and Fort Max—or is it "Zoo Max" now?—become caretakers has a lot of potential, and I'm already looking forward to their interactions the next time they meet. You know they will.

#2 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20872 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:44 AM

Easily the best two issues of MTMTE in awhile. I like how literally every complaint about last issue was the whole point of this issue.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#3 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2609 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

Wait, so the Autobots trust Wikipedia as a credible source?  Even primary schoolers are told not to do that.

#4 Broadside

Broadside

Crack Calibre Laser-Blazer Broadside

• Staff
  • 10853 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Well, that was a lot better than the previous issue on most fronts.

I really do hope Grimlock doesn't get "fixed". I don't like that Grimlock only had agency to make his own choice when Spinister "gave it to him", but at least he did get to? So, it wasn't perfect, but it did address a lot of my concerns with the last issue.

Also, one of those roboids with Fort Max looked a whole lot like Nook from the Complete AllSpark Almanac.

3nAcIwa.png

#5 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12379 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

Yeah, these two issues have been the best for quite a while. This issue wasn't full of forced references, did a bit of interesting worldbuilding, dropped some ideas and developed a purpose and actually had things to say about Grimlock and Spinister's conditions.

Hopefully we're back on track a bit! It's a shame Red Alert didn't get much to do other than provide exposition, but never mind.

#6 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

I enjoyed it. I feel like the bit with the mental health of soldiers was a bit preachy but I'm sympathetic to the subject so I'll overlook it. The roboids thing was pretty damn creepy.

PM me if you're bored!

#7 -VP-

-VP-

Every time it takes my knees out

• Retired Staff
  • 8199 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

After all the complaining about last issue from people.. I keep saying it "Trust Roberts" and he keeps proving me right. It even gave me a warm and fuzzy. AND we get a new plot line teased! 

#8 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14018 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

I don't quite share in all the effusiveness of the love, but it was a good issue. Mental health bit was kind of clunky but it's a good move.

For some reason my favorite bit was Max calling Rung "my friend."

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#9 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 10413 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Glad to hear they are making some progress on the following up from RiL.

#10 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34977 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Mm.

I have thoughts on the issue but I don't know if they're wanted or not.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#11 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26471 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Is it just me, or is the climactic resolution of the main plot basically just the end of Air Bud?

(Which is definitely not something I ever expected to say about this or any other Transformers comic under any circumstances.)

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#12 General Tekno

General Tekno

BRUNT; F.C.A.!

• Citizen
  • 2032 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

I'm curious now if Overlord was another agent of this unknown faction. G-9 would have been a good supply of test subjects and he's sadistic enough to sell off his own race.

banner_2015.png

BT Toons - updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Blog | Youtube | Twitter | DeviantArt | Tumblr

#13 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

Hanging 'round amorphous mounds

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

I hope this represents a return to(?) diverse fauna on cybertron. 

Reclaim the suffix.

#14 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34977 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

... Except the story makes it very clear they're not fauna. They're PEOPLE.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#15 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1151 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

They used to be people.  Now they're a cuddly, cuddly petting zoo.  Maybe they'll be people again someday if they fix them.

LOOKDOWN.png

#16 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51589 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, I read that as Fort Max transporting the (still lobotomized) animals to someone who could restore them.

Edited by MrBlud, 04 November 2015 - 02:25 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#17 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26471 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

They used to be people.  Now they're a cuddly, cuddly petting zoo.  Maybe they'll be people again someday if they fix them.

That is a rather unfortunate thing to say in the context of discussing a comic book issue that deliberately and explicitly brought up the subject of mental health.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#18 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34977 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thank you Andy for saying that more coherently than I was prepared to.

#19 Broadside

Broadside

Crack Calibre Laser-Blazer Broadside

• Staff
  • 10853 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

Yikes!

3nAcIwa.png

#20 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10634 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

They had their transformation cogs dented and their vocal processors forcibly removed. How else would you describe the restoration of those parts?