Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 04:28 PM)

Please, maple syrup can only improve alot of content.

@  Donocropolis : (21 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

Well, not release it into Canada, no. You'd just get maple syrup all over it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2021 - 03:21 PM)

what bothers me most about Canadian rights is that, oftentimes, the rights holders for certain content don't even seem to have any interest in releasing it

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 10:46 AM)

It'd be mostly the same even in a world with global copyright law, since even the shortest terms are very long.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 10:39 AM)

You got me, I just want to watch cartoons without having to pirate them for once.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 08:41 AM)

Also, how would copyright law standardization be enforced? I doubt any country's governments would be eager to start trade sanctions over it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 08:40 AM)

Even if the laws were standardized, none of the shows discussed earlier would be in public domain.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 08:27 AM)

We have a global medium in which access is classified as a human right: why are we still implementing regional standards to something that completely defies borders.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 08:23 AM)

Which is another problem: no standardization of rules and requirements.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 07:54 AM)

But they're not public domain...? It's usually something like author's life + several decades to become public domain.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 07:43 AM)

Which is my problem: why are they still upholding broadcast restrictions for an entirely different medium on 30 year old and older content that's fallen into public domain?

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 10:29 PM)

There are a lot of titles that the distribution rights are a little wonky for in Canada, particularly from certain studios, like Lionsgate

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 10:28 PM)

Unfortunately the little guys probably don't have much choice but to do what the big guys tell them to do

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 10:22 PM)

Tubi is pretty awesome in Canada too, but you guys keep popping up with titles we just arbitrarily don't get cause... Canada. Even though it's entirely on the internet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 April 2021 - 10:01 PM)

Don’t get me wrong, TM2-Megatron, there’s plenty of that too. Full Moon Pictures has a good chunk of their library on there along with Shout Factory

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 April 2021 - 09:52 PM)

Tubi is pretty awesome actually. Has a lot of old Hasbro Shows. Has Kamen Rider 71 and Kuuga, has a bunch of Sentai... at least in the US.

@  Telly : (20 April 2021 - 09:40 PM)

they arent all that bad. theyve got old mst3k and lots of 80s cartoons. last i checked anyway. had gi joe, vehicle voltron, cops, some transformers i think and subbed original captain harlock even

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:56 PM)

I've seen the icon on my Roku; always assumed it was just a slightly "classier" version of those bottom-of-the-barrel trash free streaming services that offer VHS transfers of the very worst the 70s and 80s had to offer

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:55 PM)

isn't tubitv one of those free services?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 08:54 PM)

And I agree with you in principal, but tubi is neither canadian (or is it? *checks* nope.) nor an internet service provider. Don't get me wrong: rogers, telus, bell, et al. are all part of the problem, but not my current or specific problem.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:50 PM)

I wasn't talking about Bell or Rogers as ISPs, but as media providers. Sadly, the same companies that sell us the internet also happen to be broadcasting titans that own the distribution rights for most popular content

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 06:16 PM)

While I agree with you in principal: the problem here isn't the internet service providers. Though the onus of fixing it as a systemic problem is probably on them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 03:16 PM)

then how would honest Canadian companies like Rogers or Bell be able to overcharge you for content, or not even make the content available in your region for varied and unknowable reasons?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:33 PM)

It's on the internet, but the internet is being treated like it's regional. It doesn't matter that I'm in canada, It's the internet. Stop enforcing outdated and completely arbitrary broadcast restrictions on the global telecommunication network.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:32 PM)

Nope, security is not my concern at all.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 April 2021 - 01:56 PM)

I mean, if you're not worried about security and just using it to access geolocked content, there are free vpns.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 11:43 AM)

To watch cartoons on a free streaming program? Might as well write my representative if I have to fix problems other people caused.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 April 2021 - 04:47 PM)

Sounds like time for a vpn.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2021 - 10:32 AM)

Aaannndddd no earthworm jim in canada. Thanks outdated broadcast standards.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 April 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Truly the crossover I never knew I needed in my life.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 April 2021 - 08:39 PM)

Dude! Tubi Tv has the Earthworm Jim cartoon! And Chuck Norris and Denver!

@  Donocropolis : (18 April 2021 - 05:51 PM)

Bianary Breakdown

@  Sabrblade : (18 April 2021 - 04:55 PM)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 April 2021 - 02:10 PM)

@  Telly : (18 April 2021 - 02:00 PM)

@  tigerhawk : (17 April 2021 - 03:52 PM)

0118999881999119725 3

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 06:55 AM)

No, he's just old.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

I think he might have had a stroke...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 04:55 AM)

Phrasing!

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM)

NEED

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:04 PM)

BEAST GENERAL

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM)

I dunno if to call them the worst salesperson ever or the best.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2021 - 01:33 PM)

They must not have really wanted to sell you anything.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM)

This just happened to be the first time one ever gave up and walked away immediately after ringing the bell. Like, no patience at all or something.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:17 AM)

Covid didn't stop salespeople from coming to my neighborhood. They are still a consistent annoyance.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Random like "Why does god allow terrible things?" or random like "You can see them too?!?"?

@  Echowarrior : (16 April 2021 - 07:36 AM)

And yet, I still have to deal with random idiots on the street asking me random questions.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2021 - 04:04 PM)

door to door salesmen (or those offering religion) certainly are one of the things lost to COVID that I've missed the least

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM)

They rang the bell and were walking away before I even got to the door mere seconds later.

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:06 AM)

I just got ding-dong-ditched by a salesperson.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 will be here soon

2501 replies to this topic

#41 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13052 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

All that I said above notwithstanding, I'm actually a bit concerned if this show does take place in the Prime universe. It would almost certainly mean superseding the Pocketverse, which I've come to accept as the most "official" future beyond the TNG-era shows we were ever going to see, and I've quite enjoyed them.

#42 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49466 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

Personally, it's not at all about anything being "unfinished." It's about "home." THAT's the Star Trek universe/continuity we came to know and love. It's markedly different than what we've seen in the Abrams universe. And for many, we've come to disdain what Abrams did, and want to go back home.

And those of us who actually prefer the Abramsverse?

#43 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13052 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Personally, it's not at all about anything being "unfinished." It's about "home." THAT's the Star Trek universe/continuity we came to know and love. It's markedly different than what we've seen in the Abrams universe. And for many, we've come to disdain what Abrams did, and want to go back home.

You're just wrong. I thought that was obvious. ;)

#44 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18448 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Well those people aren't real.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#45 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49466 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

:p

Also, not caring about what the non-Trek fan thinks is why the series died the gasping, choking death that it did. Voyager and Enterprise did far too much navel gazing, and not enough to actually keep people invested in the franchise. The wastes of cinema that are the TNG era of movies certainly did no favors in that regard. "Eight years of history? WHAT eight years of history?"

#46 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11001 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

But will non-Trek fans even watch a TV series, anyway?  Going to see a blockbuster action-fest during the summer I can understand, but will the average new type of "fan" created by Abrams' movies really take an hour out of their week to sit down and watch a decidedly less-actiony, and less sexy (unless they get Mirror Hoshi) version?  Especially if it's exclusive to a streaming service that a lot of people don't even have.

All that I said above notwithstanding, I'm actually a bit concerned if this show does take place in the Prime universe. It would almost certainly mean superseding the Pocketverse, which I've come to accept as the most "official" future beyond the TNG-era shows we were ever going to see, and I've quite enjoyed them.

That's my main concern, too.  The pocketverse has recently provided us with some of the best (IMO) Star Trek stories we've had in many a year, and I'd hate for a new Prime Universe show to overwrite it with something not as good.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 02 November 2015 - 07:11 PM.

#47 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

I wish they'd just say what universe this show's gonna be in. I am so, so sick of this argument that only hardcore Star Trek fans on message boards care about.

#48 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49466 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

But will non-Trek fans even watch a TV series, anyway? 

TNG and DS9's successes in syndication point to yes.

Going to see a blockbuster action-fest during the summer I can understand, but will the average new type of "fan" created by Abrams' movies really take an hour out of their week to sit down and watch a decidedly less-actiony, and less sexy (unless they get Mirror Hoshi) version?

Considering every single iteration of this franchise has featured women in catsuits, I'm shocked you typed that concern out.

Especially if it's exclusive to a streaming service that a lot of people don't even have.

Well, that's the death knell of any series, no matter what the genre. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's UPN all over again. And we all know what happened when Trek became a UPN exclusive.

#49 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33814 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

Lt Worf's Family vacation Risa was just the start

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#50 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Oh, I am my daddy! Wait... what?

• Supporter
  • 4866 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

If I were human, I would tell you to "go to hell". If I were human.

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098

Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787

Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345

Actual friends: um....

#51 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23934 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Obviously, the new series takes place in one of those alternate realities where Troi and Worf were married.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

#52 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49466 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

If I were human, I would tell you to "go to hell". If I were human.

#53 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11001 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

TNG and DS9's successes in syndication point to yes.

It doesn't really seem like DS9 is in syndication much of anywhere, outside the US.  It hasn't aired in Canada for many years, and in googling I see it seems to be the least aired version of Star Trek in many other countries.  TNG and VOY seem to be the most aired.  Has it actually been successful?  If that's the case, I wish they'd remaster it for Blu-Ray.

Considering every single iteration of this franchise has featured women in catsuits, I'm shocked you typed that concern out.

The joke about Hoshi aside, I was actually just referring to the overall style of a hypothetical new show.  They won't be able to afford many of the elaborate effects or design aesthetics the new movies have, which will make the whole affair decidedly less "sexy" than the big-screen counterpart.

Catsuits aren't my thing, personally.  Despite the silly attempts, Star Trek has almost always been laughably cheesy and clumsy when it comes to introducing sex appeal to the show.  Jadzia was the closest they got.

#54 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4866 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

A series about an alternate universe Troi and Worf? I could go for that. If the series is an Abrams Universe Next Gen show, Marina Sirtis is on record saying she would love to play Lwaxana Troi as a nod to playing Deanna and a tribute to Majel.

Edited by Lisbon Virgo, 03 November 2015 - 03:04 AM.

#55 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33814 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

Eh..I donno Jeri Ryan's 7of 9 or Nana Visitor as Mirrored Kira are slightly sexier IMO

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#56 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13052 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

:p

Also, not caring about what the non-Trek fan thinks is why the series died the gasping, choking death that it did. 

Please re-read my previous statement. Non-Trek fans don't care one way or the other which universe this is in. There's nothing to be gained by setting it in the Abramsverse vs. the Prime universe. It literally doesn't matter to them. It ONLY matters to Trek fans.

I'm not saying that CBS shouldn't care about non-Trek fans. I'm saying that what non-Trek fans think is irrelevant to the discussion of which universe this new show should take place in.

#57 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3466 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

Maybe they'll do the idea with Worf being captain.

#58 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4866 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Michael Dorn was pushing for a series following Captain Worf, so it's possible.

#59 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18448 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Don't get me excited for that.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#60 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 19110 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

That would be pretty cool, I admit.  Worf had one of the better character growth arcs through two different series, so it would be cool to see more of him.

nzo8WYb.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users