Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 April 2021 - 04:47 PM)

Sounds like time for a vpn.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2021 - 10:32 AM)

Aaannndddd no earthworm jim in canada. Thanks outdated broadcast standards.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 April 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Truly the crossover I never knew I needed in my life.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 April 2021 - 08:39 PM)

Dude! Tubi Tv has the Earthworm Jim cartoon! And Chuck Norris and Denver!

@  Donocropolis : (18 April 2021 - 05:51 PM)

Bianary Breakdown

@  Sabrblade : (18 April 2021 - 04:55 PM)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 April 2021 - 02:10 PM)

@  Telly : (18 April 2021 - 02:00 PM)

@  tigerhawk : (17 April 2021 - 03:52 PM)

0118999881999119725 3

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 06:55 AM)

No, he's just old.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

I think he might have had a stroke...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 04:55 AM)

Phrasing!

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM)

NEED

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:04 PM)

BEAST GENERAL

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM)

I dunno if to call them the worst salesperson ever or the best.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2021 - 01:33 PM)

They must not have really wanted to sell you anything.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM)

This just happened to be the first time one ever gave up and walked away immediately after ringing the bell. Like, no patience at all or something.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:17 AM)

Covid didn't stop salespeople from coming to my neighborhood. They are still a consistent annoyance.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Random like "Why does god allow terrible things?" or random like "You can see them too?!?"?

@  Echowarrior : (16 April 2021 - 07:36 AM)

And yet, I still have to deal with random idiots on the street asking me random questions.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2021 - 04:04 PM)

door to door salesmen (or those offering religion) certainly are one of the things lost to COVID that I've missed the least

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM)

They rang the bell and were walking away before I even got to the door mere seconds later.

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:06 AM)

I just got ding-dong-ditched by a salesperson.

@  tigerhawk : (14 April 2021 - 01:20 AM)

Sure he's a peeping tom but every single Scottish person does it!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 April 2021 - 08:09 PM)

Groundskeeper Wheelie say you're going to taste my rake today!

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 April 2021 - 06:57 PM)

"If elected mayor, me first act will be ta KILL THA WHOLE LOT 'A YA, AND.......I know it's on!"

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 April 2021 - 01:57 PM)

Campaign slogan? "Its Willie time!"

@  tigerhawk : (13 April 2021 - 10:15 AM)

I'd vote for Groundskeeper Wullie.

@  Donocropolis : (13 April 2021 - 07:25 AM)

A comic, yes, but we need a figure!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 April 2021 - 06:27 AM)

No.. It's Tiberious Maximus... And there is a comic with such already. :D

@  Donocropolis : (12 April 2021 - 11:15 AM)

Yes. Color it like the Energon version of Unicron. Also, give us Fortress Tiberious.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 April 2021 - 09:49 AM)

Great. Now I want a borg cube unicron...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 April 2021 - 09:00 AM)

We still need Transformers x Star Trek toy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 April 2021 - 05:39 AM)

I saw most of them at retail at TRU, but that's not an option in the US anymore.

@  tigerhawk : (12 April 2021 - 04:21 AM)

Dibs on naming the Ark robot Arkonus.

@  Kalidor : (11 April 2021 - 09:48 PM)

The only Titan figure I ever saw at retail was Trypticon at Ollie's

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 April 2021 - 09:12 PM)

Robosen Prime has market crossover with not just the toy collectors, but robotics enthusiasts quite willing to pay that price for a product like this.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 April 2021 - 08:33 PM)

One of my two local TRUs will stock exactly ONE titan at a time. It usually ends up "clearanced" for about 20 bucks off cause no one is willing to pay for at full price OR discounted.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Most stores don't seem to want to stock Commanders or Titans, never mind Unicron.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 April 2021 - 07:55 PM)

I wonder if Unicron going to crowdfuning wasn't just a price issue but also stores not wanting to stock and transport something so huge.

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 April 2021 - 07:47 PM)

It is, although this thing could also be considered a STEM educational tool

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:33 PM)

Doesn't change the fact that, for most people, $700 is a pretty hefty investment for a toy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 April 2021 - 07:17 PM)

I dunno, $700 doesn't seem that bad for what it does. Some of those Masterpiece figures seem to go for at least half that price, and they don't have any actual robots or even electronics.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 05:35 PM)

Not to mention wallet-shattering.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (11 April 2021 - 04:30 PM)

It's a jargon-shattering figure.

@  Kalidor : (10 April 2021 - 08:50 PM)

The licensed Optimus Prime that transforms itself is the appropriate usage of the term "Third Party"

@  Donocropolis : (10 April 2021 - 08:24 AM)

That Optimus isn't built by Hasbro, only licensed. The company that makes it has been making similar robots for years, so no crowdfundng required.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 08:05 AM)

Apparently they're selling one for 74 and a half thousand dollars.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 April 2021 - 08:01 AM)

We could write boston dynamics and ask?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 April 2021 - 07:59 AM)

Granted, I'm not sure how much robots with elaborate movement tend to go for.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 will be here soon

2501 replies to this topic

#2421 TheSupernova

TheSupernova
  • Citizen
  • 1040 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:38 PM

Has the warp scale revision ever been mentioned on screen? I recall it from the TNG Technical Manual way back when, but I'm struggling to recall it ever having been discussed in an episode.

(I'm probably forgetting something really obvious, here, admittedly)

I'm not a man of many words.  When I do have something to say, though, I'll try and make it worth your while!

#2422 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35474 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

For my money they could have just said "Cloak the ship!" and showed it.  The audience could figure out that one got installed and it isn't a giant jump when the Romulans were Federation members.

#2423 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 52812 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

Has the warp scale revision ever been mentioned on screen? I recall it from the TNG Technical Manual way back when, but I'm struggling to recall it ever having been discussed in an episode.

I don't think it has. Like, my preferred headcanon is that it happened with the success of the Excelsior's new transwarp drive. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2424 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 1002 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:22 AM

The old FASA stuff, along with Mr Scott's Guide implicitly took that as being the case. Transwarp is based on the techniche that Spock uses to escape the Tholians, and The Great Experiment was a success. The Enterprise-A is explicitly fitted with Transwarp engines. I can't remember if FASA ever got around to dealing with the TNG scale, but it's not a bad extrapolation to make.

#2425 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Criminals Cower before The Canine Crusader!

• Staff
  • 15200 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

Wait, i thought it was Excelsior that was fitted with Transwarp? The Enterprise-A never got them.

fslookup.jpg

#2426 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13048 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:54 AM

Wait, i thought it was Excelsior that was fitted with Transwarp? The Enterprise-A never got them.

Different parts of the pseudo-canon have handled it differently. In some, the transwarp project was a failure, and those engines were never used again. In others, it was a success, later ships got the engines, but they just stopped using the "trans-" prefix.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 20 January 2021 - 10:55 AM.

#2427 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12075 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

And "transwarp" was eventually re-used to refer to something completely different, since Federation science kept discovering newer and better ways to break what was once thought to be an absolute speed limit.

#2428 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11001 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

"Transwarp" in TNG era seems to mean two things. It can be used as a generic term for any mode of propulsion that achieves speeds not practical under the existing warp scale, but still beneath the "infinite velocity" Warp 10. Slipstream would therefore be a type of transwarp, expressible on the conventional scale (probably as Warp 9.9999999999 or something, given its an exponentional scale) but not achievable by current ships.

Transwarp can also specifically refer to the Borg (but presumably not Borg-constructed) network of ancient, pre-established conduits spread throughout the Milky Way and somehow held together by a number of those "hub" things, one of which Voyager destroyed in their series finale. It's powerful, but limited in that you can only use it to go where conduits have already been built... unless you have the knowledge to establish new ones. But that likely has to be done at sub-Transwarp speeds meaning it could take centuries to lay down conduits to new locations. That's probably what's mostly kept the Borg confined to the Milky Way, whereas a technology like Slipstream could've enabled them to go anywhere they please at similar velocities.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 20 January 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#2429 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

X-Wing: Mercy Kill

• Retired Staff
  • 10175 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:21 PM

Teaser trailer for season 4, which is slated to begin streaming at an unspecified date in late 2021.

Mirror on Facebook which should work internationally:

https://www.facebook...703545559661912

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 05 April 2021 - 09:37 PM.

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.

-the Jedi Code

#2430 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49459 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

They changed the uniforms again, I see.

I really don't care for these. I liked the Season 3 look.

#2431 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52812 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, the uniforms were the biggest thing to jump out in that trailer, really. Everything else feels a bit vague. I'm sure Trekyards will have comparison images, but they do look like a simple palette swap on the existing uniform.

Everyone got updated to the gray uniforms at the end of S3, and they were good uniforms and had been all season, but they looked a lot better in the Starfleet Apple Store than they did on the bronzey Disco bridge. The bright blue worked for that bridge and the gray didn't. I was really hoping they'd go the other way, and redo the bridge rather than the uniforms, but one of them had to change. (Changing the bridge would have also made more continuity sense, but eh.) Mixed feelings on the resulting uniforms themselves - I do think at least the red ones look almost as good as they did in gray, and the white ones don't look bad.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2432 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49459 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:11 PM

I'd take the Dominion War era Starfleet uniforms over these. These are so garish even the 60s would find them way too over the top.

EDIT: I'm sure in time I'll grow to at least tolerate them (I tolerate the Dominion Era blandness, after all), but my knee jerk reaction is one of incredible dislike.

Edited by Rust, 05 April 2021 - 09:19 PM.

#2433 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52812 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:25 PM

I mean, everyone likes the First Contact / Dominion War uniforms with the cool shoulder pads. But for these, it looks like they took the 31st C. uniform, gave it the color layout (and separate pants) of the TOS uniforms, and then made the colors the TNG ones instead. It's a lot of one color, especially in that stiff, puffy, smooth material of the gray uniforms, but it's distinctly "fine" IMO. 

I'm also thinking it's not a coincidence that they look a lot like the Disco TOS uniforms from the Enterprise crew (one of my personal faves incidentally) if Disco is going to be running alongside SNW when that comes. Because, you know, a primary color jacket and black slacks might just be the Star Trek thing again, now.

#2434 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 18447 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:54 PM

I'm still waiting for command green to come back in to style.
As far as the trailer goes, I'm glad another unexplainable disaster is threatening the entire galaxy again. I mean Discovery, why must you be this all the time.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#2435 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49459 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:22 PM

I mean, everyone likes the First Contact / Dominion War uniforms with the cool shoulder pads.

I'd rather look at Captain Decker standing at attention in TMP, if I'm going to be honest.

#2436 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52812 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:03 AM

We probably don't have a lot of common ground for uniforms. X ] The more times I watch the trailer, though, the more it's bothering me how thick and structured these look, with thick pads inside the shoulders and things to keep the fabric basically rigid at all times. 

I'm still waiting for command green to come back in to style.
As far as the trailer goes, I'm glad another unexplainable disaster is threatening the entire galaxy again. I mean Discovery, why must you be this all the time.

Yeah, I hadn't even thought about it in those terms and just kinda uncritically accepted that, oh hey, there's the plot for this season. Like, of course it's going to be fate of the universe, etc. etc., demands of the format. But not only is it that, it's also a mysterious force like the Red Angel and Burn that couldn't possibly be underwhelming in the big reveal in the finale. X / Here's hoping it's actually not the season plot and is in fact just the first episode's emergency of the week.

#2437 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12075 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

From what I've seen on other sites, the grey uniforms ended up being the same colour as Discovery's corridors/non-bridge sets, so the actors were all fading into the background.

The more times I watch the trailer, though, the more it's bothering me how thick and structured these look, with thick pads inside the shoulders and things to keep the fabric basically rigid at all times.

I get that too, for all the Bad-Robot-Era Trek shows; the costumes just look so uncomfortable. It was particularly bad on Picard, when ghost-Data was clearly wearing a version of the FC-era uniform that came from a Halloween store rather than an actual screen-quality costume (you can see the zipper hanging from his ill-fitting nonelastic collar).

Yeah, I hadn't even thought about it in those terms and just kinda uncritically accepted that, oh hey, there's the plot for this season. Like, of course it's going to be fate of the universe, etc. etc.

That's the other hallmark of modern Trek that I hate. We have Star Trek: Epic, Star Trek: Emotions, and Star Trek: Wacky, with Star Trek: Uplifting joining us soon.

I miss the era when a single show could do all of that.

Don't hand me a bread roll, some ground beef, some cheese, and a salad, and tell me it's a hamburger.

Edited by Cybersnark, 06 April 2021 - 09:47 AM.

#2438 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49459 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

I also have to say the idea that this season the big threat is going to be a gravitational anomaly five light years across is...really, really mild. Also seemingly impossible to be just a roving malicious entity, but I'm sure there's some rogue super weapon at work here.

#2439 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9666 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

There's probably something at the center of the gravitational anomaly.

It's not an exciting hook, and I've learned to keep my expectations low with regards to the season arcs.  But hopefully there will be some good stories told along the way.

I dig the new uniforms.  I'm surprised they changed again so fast, but I like them.

#2440 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13048 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:16 PM

I still argue we don't need "season arcs" at all. Yes, everyone's doing it these days, but that's not really a reason we have to.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users