Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 04:28 PM)

Please, maple syrup can only improve alot of content.

@  Donocropolis : (21 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

Well, not release it into Canada, no. You'd just get maple syrup all over it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2021 - 03:21 PM)

what bothers me most about Canadian rights is that, oftentimes, the rights holders for certain content don't even seem to have any interest in releasing it

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 10:46 AM)

It'd be mostly the same even in a world with global copyright law, since even the shortest terms are very long.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 10:39 AM)

You got me, I just want to watch cartoons without having to pirate them for once.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 08:41 AM)

Also, how would copyright law standardization be enforced? I doubt any country's governments would be eager to start trade sanctions over it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 08:40 AM)

Even if the laws were standardized, none of the shows discussed earlier would be in public domain.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 08:27 AM)

We have a global medium in which access is classified as a human right: why are we still implementing regional standards to something that completely defies borders.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 08:23 AM)

Which is another problem: no standardization of rules and requirements.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 07:54 AM)

But they're not public domain...? It's usually something like author's life + several decades to become public domain.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 07:43 AM)

Which is my problem: why are they still upholding broadcast restrictions for an entirely different medium on 30 year old and older content that's fallen into public domain?

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 10:29 PM)

There are a lot of titles that the distribution rights are a little wonky for in Canada, particularly from certain studios, like Lionsgate

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 10:28 PM)

Unfortunately the little guys probably don't have much choice but to do what the big guys tell them to do

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 10:22 PM)

Tubi is pretty awesome in Canada too, but you guys keep popping up with titles we just arbitrarily don't get cause... Canada. Even though it's entirely on the internet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 April 2021 - 10:01 PM)

Don’t get me wrong, TM2-Megatron, there’s plenty of that too. Full Moon Pictures has a good chunk of their library on there along with Shout Factory

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 April 2021 - 09:52 PM)

Tubi is pretty awesome actually. Has a lot of old Hasbro Shows. Has Kamen Rider 71 and Kuuga, has a bunch of Sentai... at least in the US.

@  Telly : (20 April 2021 - 09:40 PM)

they arent all that bad. theyve got old mst3k and lots of 80s cartoons. last i checked anyway. had gi joe, vehicle voltron, cops, some transformers i think and subbed original captain harlock even

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:56 PM)

I've seen the icon on my Roku; always assumed it was just a slightly "classier" version of those bottom-of-the-barrel trash free streaming services that offer VHS transfers of the very worst the 70s and 80s had to offer

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:55 PM)

isn't tubitv one of those free services?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 08:54 PM)

And I agree with you in principal, but tubi is neither canadian (or is it? *checks* nope.) nor an internet service provider. Don't get me wrong: rogers, telus, bell, et al. are all part of the problem, but not my current or specific problem.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:50 PM)

I wasn't talking about Bell or Rogers as ISPs, but as media providers. Sadly, the same companies that sell us the internet also happen to be broadcasting titans that own the distribution rights for most popular content

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 06:16 PM)

While I agree with you in principal: the problem here isn't the internet service providers. Though the onus of fixing it as a systemic problem is probably on them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 03:16 PM)

then how would honest Canadian companies like Rogers or Bell be able to overcharge you for content, or not even make the content available in your region for varied and unknowable reasons?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:33 PM)

It's on the internet, but the internet is being treated like it's regional. It doesn't matter that I'm in canada, It's the internet. Stop enforcing outdated and completely arbitrary broadcast restrictions on the global telecommunication network.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:32 PM)

Nope, security is not my concern at all.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 April 2021 - 01:56 PM)

I mean, if you're not worried about security and just using it to access geolocked content, there are free vpns.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 11:43 AM)

To watch cartoons on a free streaming program? Might as well write my representative if I have to fix problems other people caused.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 April 2021 - 04:47 PM)

Sounds like time for a vpn.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2021 - 10:32 AM)

Aaannndddd no earthworm jim in canada. Thanks outdated broadcast standards.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 April 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Truly the crossover I never knew I needed in my life.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 April 2021 - 08:39 PM)

Dude! Tubi Tv has the Earthworm Jim cartoon! And Chuck Norris and Denver!

@  Donocropolis : (18 April 2021 - 05:51 PM)

Bianary Breakdown

@  Sabrblade : (18 April 2021 - 04:55 PM)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 April 2021 - 02:10 PM)

@  Telly : (18 April 2021 - 02:00 PM)

@  tigerhawk : (17 April 2021 - 03:52 PM)

0118999881999119725 3

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 06:55 AM)

No, he's just old.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

I think he might have had a stroke...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 04:55 AM)

Phrasing!

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM)

NEED

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:04 PM)

BEAST GENERAL

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM)

I dunno if to call them the worst salesperson ever or the best.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2021 - 01:33 PM)

They must not have really wanted to sell you anything.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM)

This just happened to be the first time one ever gave up and walked away immediately after ringing the bell. Like, no patience at all or something.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:17 AM)

Covid didn't stop salespeople from coming to my neighborhood. They are still a consistent annoyance.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Random like "Why does god allow terrible things?" or random like "You can see them too?!?"?

@  Echowarrior : (16 April 2021 - 07:36 AM)

And yet, I still have to deal with random idiots on the street asking me random questions.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2021 - 04:04 PM)

door to door salesmen (or those offering religion) certainly are one of the things lost to COVID that I've missed the least

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM)

They rang the bell and were walking away before I even got to the door mere seconds later.

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:06 AM)

I just got ding-dong-ditched by a salesperson.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 will be here soon

2501 replies to this topic

#1 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

But, before you get excited....

http://www.hollywood...es-works-828638

Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek is returning to the small screen.

Prolific producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The new Star Trek has been picked up straight to series at CBS, with the premiere slated for the network in January 2017. Subsequent episodes will air on its digital and VOD platform, CBS All Access. The premiere and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the U.S. on CBS All Access, the network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.  

The new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

The cross-platform streaming services, which hosts thousands of episodes from CBS' roster (both past and present) is available for $5.99 per month. Included in the fee is the ability to stream the local network live. All previous Star Trek series are currently available on CBS All Access. CBS Studios International will distribute the series for TV and multiple platforms around the world. 

So, it's being done by Alex Kurtzman, and we have to pay $5.99 per month to see it.  

Nnnngggg......not sure about this one.  I guess I'll have to see more details about characters/time period/aesthetic before I make a decision.

#2 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13052 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

I don't have the Kurtzman hate that others seem to have, but I absolutely refuse to buy another service to watch this. As glad as I would otherwise be to see a new Star Trek series come to exist, I refuse to support this model of distribution.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 02 November 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44658 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

It'll die because it's paywalled.

I'll torrent it like the rest of the world.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#4 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52898 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

This is UPN all over again except now we have to pay.

This is likely going to crash and burn.

If it's prime timeline I'd probably pay the $6 to support it though. Screw the Abramsverse.

card-strongarm.jpg

#5 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9666 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

Well, I'm hypothetically excited for a new Star Trek series, but Kurtzman's involvement doesn't thrill me.  There's a lot that I like about the new movies but there's a lot that I don't like.

I don't mind paying for a streaming service if it has something I want.  I'd much rather pay for what I want than pay for a bundle of 200 channels when I watch 10 of them.  I keep dropping my DirecTV service to lower tiers.  I'm not ready to cut the cord yet, but I'm happy to minimize the amount of money I give to that outdated business model.

#6 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

I'd gladly pay to see a good Star Trek series.  But Kurtzman helming the thing doesn't give me much hope.  Going by the press release, I really don't think this will even make it to production.

#7 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

I doubt Kurtzman is actually going to run the show, he's way too busy for that. GIVE US BRYAN FULLER, DAMMIT.

I'm not wild about it being on CBS's crappy streaming service, but if it's good I'll happily pay $6 a month for new Star Trek.

#8 tec

tec

Suit up

• Supporter
  • 33814 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

I got two years before I can start bitching about the format

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#9 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

I would like to know how they plan to handle international distribution.

#10 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 19110 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

... This has disaster written all over it.

Just for the paywall, to say nothing of the show itself.

nzo8WYb.png

#11 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13052 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

I got two years before I can start bitching about the format

People keep saying "two years." January 2017 is only 14 months away. Just barely more than ONE year.

#12 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44658 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

I would like to know how they plan to handle international distribution.

They DON'T! :D

It'll fall to the CBS international affiliates to push the streaming service, and even then it'll be a crap shoot if its available in other countries. So you might jump in for it in canada: only to find you still have to steal the show cause it's not on the canadian cut of the service.

I just torrent: cause that always works.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#13 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 8175 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

Id wish they would announce more tha. Just a new series. Go ahead and tell us when this series would take place. Go back to the prime universe and fill in the gaps of Enterprise B and C. Or move onto F. Hoping for better space battles. DS9 had such grwat potential with the dominion war but kind of fell flat in the part IMO.

As for the 6 bucks a month.prob not. As was said. Torrent is the way. Im pretty sure if the fans shiw enough over the next 6-7 months it can get moved to regular cable and not streamed. Unfortunately it will more than likely get a shitty friday night, 10pm time slot. Put it on a Tuesday at 9pm on a channel like FX.

#14 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Why can't we just put it on Netflix?  Stupid CBS.

#15 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Oh, I am my daddy! Wait... what?

• Supporter
  • 4866 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

I read on one of the announcements on Facebook that the new show will NOT be connected to the movies universe. I'm just wondering if this will be something new, or one of the three main pitches: Axanar, Renegades, or the series following Captain Worf.

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098

Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787

Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345

Actual friends: um....

#16 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

I read on one of the announcements on Facebook that the new show will NOT be connected to the movies universe. I'm just wondering if this will be something new, or one of the three main pitches: Axanar, Renegades, or the series following Captain Worf.

I've seen a few people say this on Facebook. There is absolutely nothing in the press release to suggest this isn't in the same universe as the Abrams movies.

#17 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

I've seen a few people say this on Facebook. There is absolutely nothing in the press release to suggest this isn't in the same universe as the Abrams movies.

Actually, turns out he's right. http://www.startrek....es-january-2017

Two notable paragraphs:

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.
The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

#18 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

It'll be that sitcom about The Rikers.

#19 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

It'll be that sitcom about The Rikers.

And in a surprise twist, the final episode will star the cast of Voyager, revealing that the entire Rikers series was a (not-terribly-well-written) Holodeck dramedy.

Edited by Quantumhawk, 02 November 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#20 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35478 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

I have not bought the CBS service just to watch Elementary, but if it were for Elementary and Star Trek, I probably would.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users