Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (26 March 2019 - 12:29 AM)

ALso him messing around with the wait staff is adorable.

@  unluckiness : (26 March 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why I prefer wasting my time on the Kitchen Nightmares channel to the Hell's Kitchen one. He actually talks about the food there rather than increasingly colorful insults.

@  fourteenwings : (26 March 2019 - 12:17 AM)

They know their audience; people looking for videos of Gordon Ramsay being censor-bleeped every five seconds.

@  unluckiness : (26 March 2019 - 12:13 AM)

Gordon Ramsay likes the food compilation - 6 minutes. Gordon Ramsay hates on the food video - 1 hour. I love whoever manages his Youtube channel.

@  Ashley : (25 March 2019 - 06:35 PM)

Yeah, motorized flywheels have changed things a lot

@  Benbot : (25 March 2019 - 06:31 PM)

I'm big into Nerf. The blasters they make today are 1000 times more advanced than anything we had when growing up. There's a thriving modding community too.

@  wonko the sane? : (25 March 2019 - 01:29 PM)

Eh... they're okay. But unless you routinely end up with people who also own/use them (like in college, or an office where the boss buggers off for hours at a time.) they usually just end up sitting around gathering dust because without someone to shoot and shoot back: they quickly get old.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 March 2019 - 01:27 PM)

Hmm. I don't think I have ever owned a Nerf gun in my life despite knowing of them for my entire life and liking the TV adverts.

@  Ashley : (24 March 2019 - 11:08 PM)

a stupid discovery while looking at some nerf guns: they make toilet paper blasters. it's basically an automatic spitball launcher, with a little water tank and a reel for you to put the toilet paper on.

@  MEDdMI : (24 March 2019 - 09:10 PM)

Everyone is a little stupid in their own snowflake way

@  ▲ndrusi : (24 March 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Personally I have a much higher tolerance for anecdotes about Stupid Americans when they come from other Americans.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 March 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Australia is British Florida.

@  Patch : (24 March 2019 - 06:11 PM)

What other country has its own Florida?

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 March 2019 - 12:23 PM)

Many of us are in fact aware that our country is ridiculous.

@  Arazyr : (24 March 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As an American, I have no problem with the amusing anecdotes he's been sharing. In fact, I've been enjoying them, and got no indication of smugness from any of them. Please continue. 8^)

@  The Doctor Who : (24 March 2019 - 06:00 AM)

Minnesota, but I think it's only mentioned in, like, a side comic or something.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2019 - 05:57 AM)

Ever wonder what state Carly was in after 'The Rebirth'.

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 02:15 AM)

I don't think it's right to feel indignation at people telling you that Americans might also have feelings and you should consider them before squawking yet more things in the same vein.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Intervening? It's not like much of anything that happens in this box is prompted.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I suppose I would normally feel indignation right about now, but with you I am merely unsurprised that you are intervening in a conversation to express your typical brand of disapproval.

@  Cabooceratops : (24 March 2019 - 01:06 AM)

Nitefort x ]

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:50 AM)

I'm not super fond of Nevermore's habit of using the Shoutbox to complain about TFW users, but those usually seem to be things he's personally witnessed and not anecdotes that he only has confirmation bias to backup, so I can believe he isn't just being smug.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:47 AM)

Amusing? Don't try to pretend you aren't being selective by picking things that support a narrative you're building.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:46 AM)

Shield Agent: this and the previous anecdote didn't sound like you have any reason to believe them beyond confirmation bias, so bringing up these things compulsively achieves nothing beyond making you look smug.

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 12:23 AM)

Well I guess Fortnite sounds cool? Maybe it made more sense before the gameplay started to focus on the Battle Royale bit?

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 12:22 AM)

To be fair this is only a few days after your very comprehensive thing about St. Patrick's Day. Oh also I guess that thing about the Estonian currency exchange so that's like three entire "Americans!" squawks this week.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:22 AM)

Not that Nitefort is any more sensible obviously.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:21 AM)

I tend to forget that it's called Fortnite because my 3yo calls it "Nitefort" so that's how my whole family refers to it.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:21 AM)

I assume the name is derived from the fact that one can build forts? But the nite part is a stretch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 12:17 AM)

Hence I thought it would be an amusing anecdote to share as I am not a gamer, but other pop culture-invested people here probably would be, and thus perhaps they would have different relevant experience to share.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 12:16 AM)

In fact before now I did not feel "superior" for knowing the word "fortnight" because I was raised to believe it was a rare but standard term.

@  Copper Bezel : (23 March 2019 - 10:33 PM)

Eh, it's not a common word in the US, so ... like I sincerely hope no one's feeling superior about it but I wouldn't assume.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 March 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Shield Agent: What is up with your compulsion to bring up every anecdote that supports your superiority complex towards Americans?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 March 2019 - 09:22 PM)

What I don't get is: what is a game titled "two weeks" even about?

@  Trpodeca : (23 March 2019 - 09:16 PM)

What strange people

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 March 2019 - 09:11 PM)

Interesting. I have just been informed by several Britons and Australians that since the debut of Fortnite, they have encountered Yanks who do not believe that "fortnight" is a real word.

@  Kayla Kaon : (22 March 2019 - 09:22 PM)

https://discord.gg/jMPfJWk

@  Kayla Kaon : (22 March 2019 - 08:05 PM)

What is up sexy people! Everyone having fun tonight?

@  Rycochet : (22 March 2019 - 01:01 PM)

If they don't take it down or back off, then unfollow. At least then they'll know why people are distancing themselves.

@  Rycochet : (22 March 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Call them out because if nobody challenges them on nonsense, they'll only sink deeper into their rabbithole of stupidity.

@  Benbot : (22 March 2019 - 11:26 AM)

When someone makes a deliberately hateful and dishonest post on Facebook, do you angrily call them out on it, or just ignore or defriend them?

@  Xellos : (22 March 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Dunno, I did watch Combiner Wars...

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 04:37 AM)

Also, nobody try watching last year's Stargate Origins: Catherine "webisode". My god, I've never seen anything so atrocious

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 04:36 AM)

Having watched the full decade's' worth of episodes during the last 4 or so weeks, the cult leader Goa'uld was Setesh/"Seth"

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 04:00 AM)

I missed a whole bunch of stuff in the Squawkbox. Huh. It's been a long week.

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 03:52 AM)

That or Old Testament God with his whole nuking cities, random plagues, brutal pogroms, absurd set ups to test followers faiths, etc etc as a very not rogue Goa'uld.

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 03:48 AM)

1) Spite. 2) I'm fairly sure at least one episode did actually have a Goa'uld who'd be hiding out on Earth since the rebellion and had been host swapping and running cults, 3) mostly yeah spiteful contrivance to see Christain groups lose their collective shit.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 02:49 AM)

If you don't take paypal, and the item isn't a local pickup (in which case Cash is acceptable), I'm pretty sure you need to have some alternative credit card processor you're able to take payment through

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 02:48 AM)

Technically eBay doesn't own Paypal anymore, but even so I haven't seen an auction in years that didn't take Paypal as a form of payment.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 March 2019 - 11:01 PM)

I was gonna ask "aren't eBay and Paypal basically the same people" but turns out that hasn't been true for a while.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 2 to premiere 17 January 2019

1898 replies to this topic

#1881 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38644 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

So last night's episode was pretty neat. Seeing Spock in his right mind was great and seeing Pike and Vina together was great. Not that crazy on where they are going with the regenerated doctor, lol, but maybe it will turn out to be interesting.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#1882 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

sqlinjections.jpg

#1883 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2956 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

... with the regenerated doctor...

I see what you did there.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#1884 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38644 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

As a programmer, I was like, "WTF?"

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#1885 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9051 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

That was freaking amazing.  I hope it was good for normal people, too.  I have trouble looking at it objectively.

Spoiler

#1886 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

I really hope that Pike and Tyler are trying to double-bluff whomever is messing things up, presumably Airiam. Otherwise it just makes everyone look dumb.

I agree on the Spock/Michael thing, and it does resonate awkwardly with Kirk in Little Girls using the same term. And I agree about the stakes, we already had a 'fate of the multiverse' last season (even if, by Star Trek parallel reality rules, doesn't make sense; if every choice makes a separate universe, then there will always be at least one universe where the Spore Network destroyed the multiverse...), something lower-key would have been nice. It's part of why I like Kirk's death so much, he doesn't die so that the universe, or the Federation, or even Earth is saved; he does it because some planet nobody has heard of with a smaller population than the US is in danger.

#1887 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2956 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

My spoiler free thought:

Not as good as last week (which will be hard to top, ever, for Trek), but Im hooked.

Big spoilers...

Spoiler

Edited by Kup, 14 March 2019 - 09:37 PM.

"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#1888 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9080 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:26 AM

I believe you mean Nhan is a Barzan.
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#1889 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2956 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

Thanks. I couldnt remember her exact name, or the species exact name. Close enough?

#1890 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9051 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

That was a heavy episode.  

Spoiler

#1891 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2787 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

Just read that Pike is a 1-season thing only.  Too bad, because he's quickly become the best part of this show. 

Edited by RCX, 19 March 2019 - 01:31 PM.

"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#1892 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9051 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

That was at least rumored to be the case from the beginning, and he has indicated throughout the season that he intends to go back to the Enterprise once she's up and running again.  We're getting kinda late in the season to have barely seen Number One and not glimpsed the bridge of the Enterprise.  Saving them for a final story arc, perhaps.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pike and the Enterprise show up now and then as recurring characters after the current season.

At the end of season 1, Discovery was headed to Vulcan to pick up the new captain when the Enterprise swooped in and Pike assumed command.I'm still not sure if Pike was the captain they were supposed to meet or if there's another captain sitting around on Vulcan wondering what's taking so long.

I wouldn't mind seeing Saru take command, although it feels like he needs some more time to adjust to his new biological state (Saruberty).  Seeing him deal with it as captain could be interesting.

I expect Burnham to get there eventually, but that seems like something that won't happen until the final season.  Maybe the season finale.  But they could always take a swerve.

#1893 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18654 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

All I could think about Nhan is that's a fairly risky decision to have one of her species as your security chief when ripping off just one side of her apparatus renders her virtually useless (at least until the Machina needs her back). Any physical encounter would end like the underwater SCUBA fight from Thunderball.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1894 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

*long, tired sigh* Not only was I wrong before and everyone is dumb, but the whole show is dumb and bad.

#1895 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9080 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Well, I started the episode off thinking, "Oh shit, these lame showrunners will be eviscerated forevermore by everyone including me for doing the laziest simplest solution ever for this mystery storyline."

Color me now impressed.

And I love Ethan Peck delivering savage Spock lines.

Perhaps you simply have a penchant for the dramatic.

Ahahaha!!!!!!!!

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 22 March 2019 - 03:51 PM.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#1896 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9051 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

What a twist!

Spoiler

I am very interested to see where this is going.

#1897 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

To me, Meowlnir!

• Citizen
  • 6297 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:54 AM

The plan to trap the Red Angel was the epitome of stupidity. If the Red Angel is Michael from the future, wouldn't she know what was happening (did happen) and figure out a way to save herself without falling into the trap?

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#1898 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11797 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:47 AM

That was bugging me as well, Star. But moot point seeing as though the Red Angel turned out to be someone else
From the Page of Cage!

#1899 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9051 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

Maybe not because theyre changing her history due to her future actions? I think Spock realized the paradox, and thats why he made sure that she actually died. If they had saved her, the Red Angel wouldnt have needed to appear. Temporal mechanics give me a headache.

On the subject of time travel. I know Star Trek relies too heavily on technobabble sometimes, but time crystal goes too far in the other direction. I would like to hear some vaguely scientificy explanation of what a time crystal is.

One more dumb idea:

Spoiler

Edited by Mouse_Pad, 23 March 2019 - 10:01 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users