Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2019 - 10:36 PM)

Ex-Bundeswehr personnel, eh? Fascinating.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (20 October 2019 - 09:43 PM)

TF Roll Out Hot Rod's Presentation is coming real soon!!

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 01:05 PM)

So whenever he addresses his troops, he keeps cracking jokes. Sometimes these jokes are about the blunders he himself had made in his speech the previous day.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 01:01 PM)

At the moment, I'm blessed with a pretty nice superior. He's got a military background, but he takes an oddly entertaining approach to it. Imagine a stand-up comedian who accidentally enlisted as a drill sergeant.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Another type of everyday absurdity: Imagine you're leaving your workplace for your lunchbreak. Upon your return, you discover that your workplace has been cordened and/or gated off during your break, with "construction site" warning signs everywhere. You go to your superior and tell him: "I can no longer access my workplace! Why is there suddenly a construction site?" Your superior takes a surpised look and says: "I don't know, first time I see this." You figure: "Must be a Tuesday, then."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:51 PM)

It's kind of surreal, really.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:50 PM)

They agree that things are less than ideal, but they acknowledge that their scope of making decisions is limited. Oddly, I keep getting that regardless of how high up the chain of command I bother people.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:49 PM)

"I hear you, but you know how it is, there's nothing I can do about it." That's it, basically.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2019 - 06:40 AM)

What's it like to have management that's willing to listen to things they don't want to hear? I've never seen that.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:41 AM)

I manage to argue within the company's own internal logic and point out the flaws, shortcomings and discrepancies between "official company policy" and "everyday company reality".

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:40 AM)

Many of my coworkers are scared to even talk to managers. I often discuss company matters with them I disagree with, and it isn't a rare occurrence that they say "yeah, you're right..."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:38 AM)

I know how to watch my tone, and I prefer to keep things straightforward and factual, never to attack the person, always the problem itself.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:37 AM)

The good thing for me is ever since a minor hiccup many years ago when I was still non-permanent, I've always managed to along just fine with my various superiors (I've been through over a dozen already). And that's despite my outspokenness, my blunt honesty and my oftentimes harsh criticism.

@  Sabrblade : (18 October 2019 - 11:04 PM)

With visuals presented by the Cybernet Space Cube

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:51 PM)

And don't forget to sign up for a cybersecurity seminar while you're there

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:47 PM)

Well you can always strap on some cyberlimbs and go into cyberspace for a cyberpunk experience

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 October 2019 - 04:28 PM)

You know that "cyber" doesn't mean "cyborg", right?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 October 2019 - 04:16 PM)

So where's the Cyborgs on CYBERtron?

@  The Doctor Who : (18 October 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Click here and we can send you notifications about your desire to discontinue notifications!

@  Benbot : (18 October 2019 - 10:40 AM)

Why does every damn website want to send me notifications? NO, no one wants your popups! Quit asking!

@  Echowarrior : (18 October 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Amazon in the US has pretty good benefits, though, and even the temp workers had forty hours a week to start with. Even with minimum wage, that's pretty good pay.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Oh, the turnover rates are high here as well.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Amazon.com and .ca, on the other hand, can be pretty terrible. I know from your squawkbox posts that you guys have your issues with Amazon over there, although you're lucky to have stronger government regulations and a union there. I gather the warehouse workers in the USA and Canada have it pretty crappy, with very high turnover, close to minimum wage pay, and no unions

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:38 PM)

Amazon.de doesn't really have the same issue. I've ordered from them (and UK, FR, IT and JP) several times, and their packaging is much better

@  Nevermore : (17 October 2019 - 05:22 PM)

I'm not sure how it works on the customer's end. As packers, we sometimes have items that are flagged as "overwrap", which means we absolutely have to put them into a box even if they're already in pretty sturdy manufacturer packaging.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 03:05 PM)

Yeah, I really do wish amazon had an option to upgrade packaging for an extra buck or something. I hate their bubble mailers

@  Benbot : (17 October 2019 - 07:17 AM)

That's how it works. I just hope my order from Amazon doesn't arrive crushed because they idiotically stuffed it in an envelope.

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Now with Season 2

1987 replies to this topic

#1941 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19196 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Yeah. I feel like we were supposed to believe that she had mellowed in her time outside the Mirror universe, but we saw nothing that would reasonably explain that actually happening.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1942 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Georgiou felt weird to me, like they were doing a huge backpedal on the 'genocidal, cannibal sociopath' parts of her personality, and leaving her as just 'amusingly evil'. I get why, to make her more palatable as a series lead for the S31 show, but it was done poorly.

Huge agree on Pike and the Enterprise. I would happily ditch all the other stuff they're doing to get a spin-off on the Enterprise, preferably episodic.

Yeah. I feel like we were supposed to believe that she had mellowed in her time outside the Mirror universe, but we saw nothing that would reasonably explain that actually happening.

It's neither... it's because everyone else is supposed to believe she's that universe's Georgieu.

#1943 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19196 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

Sure, except everyone (that counts) on Discovery knows that's not true, and she HAS mellowed. I suppose one could call it pure self-interest but she is different.  

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1944 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10667 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

I didn't know genocidal sociopaths could significantly mellow.

But I guess Hannibal Lecter's character changed significantly once he became popular as well, turning him into a more appealing anti-hero rather than just a psychopath.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 25 April 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#1945 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9206 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

Calypso still has to happen, so they have to swap ships at some point.

I’ve seen it stated second-hand that Calypso is an alternate timeline where they hid Discovery instead of going to the future. But I haven’t seen a first-hand source on that, so I wouldn’t wear to it. I do rather expect to see the AI evolve as the series goes on.

It’s not very satisfying right now, but hopefully the Section 31 show will elaborate on her growth. Plus she’ll be around for at least part of season 3. I’m kind of assuming that she’s just assimilating. Section 31 allows her a controlled (ah-heh) outlet for her darkness even within the disgustingly upbeat universe she’s found herself in. And she explicitly has a fondness for Michael.

Apparently Pike dropped the name Una for Number One at some point during the finale. I missed it, but it’s there.

I’m kind of in limbo at the moment. There’s so much that I love about the show but it’s also dragged down by some obvious omissions and weird choices. It feels like the writers are more interested in drama than logic. I like the drama, but....can you maybe please fill in the holes a bit better instead of just running past them?

#1946 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3098 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

Im unsure if Ill be on board for season 3 without Pike. I binged season 1 and thought it was okay. Not worth the $5 per month.

Season 2? I paid for the commercial free plan. Anson Mount stole the show. I lived for Thursday nights.

But Im just not sure if Im into the cast without Mount.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#1947 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19196 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

Calypso still has to happen, so they have to swap ships at some point.

I’ve seen it stated second-hand that Calypso is an alternate timeline where they hid Discovery instead of going to the future. But I haven’t seen a first-hand source on that, so I wouldn’t wear to it. I do rather expect to see the AI evolve as the series goes on.

Ugh, that would be even worse in my mind. While we didn't see Mudd this season (his short may have been more of an epilogue from season 1), the other Short Treks linked in to the standard show. It'd  be strange for that one to be a one-off like that.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1948 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10667 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:15 PM

Just activated my 7 day trial of Prime's CBS All Access and binging of S2. So far I like it... I can see why people like Capt. Pike.

Also, it's damn nice to finally see someone order a cheeseburger and fries from a food terminal. Number One has class.

#1949 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 50207 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

Sorry for the necro, but I finally saw the second season and wanted to contain my rambling somewhere, especially after confirming that I don't have much new to say. Like I enjoyed this show a lot, but for qualities that outweighed severe problems, and both the qualities and the problems in question are pretty well covered here. X ]

There are a lot of characters I enjoyed every second of, like Reno and Tilly and Emperor Mom (and I don't care that she's been IDW Megatron'd because it's the most entertaining option), and Pike, Spock, and Burnham were all entirely great, in that order, when the occasion wasn't extreme melodrama or the writers trying to convince me how awesome Burnham is. There's so much delicious quippy dialogue, and so much of the conflict along the series that seems to come organically from characters' actual motivations.

So I was really enjoying the ride. "Project Daedalus" baffled me tactically, with Burnham ignoring Nhan asphyxiating in the corner until the scene needed her, and Discovery failing to beam away Ariam to save her, but I could accept it. "The Red Angel" impressed me a little with Michael and Spock realizing or revealing that the plan to capture future Michael could only work if present Burnham would definitely die permanently without Angelic intervention, revealing that what looked like it was going to be a dumb oversight by the writers was a dumb oversight by the characters, and it carried me enough that I accepted Dr. Burnham showing up to save Michael despite later explaining that she didn't give a damn, as well as Dr. Burnham having kept her Tardis suit in the hidden closet on the space station in the flashback. 

I kinda should have figured out that Dr. Burnham showing up in a way that ceased to make sense once it was revealed that she was in fact Dr. Burnham was a sign of just more of the stuff that made S1 such a kick in the pants. I mean, the first season did exactly the same thing, I think still a little worse, getting me hooked with a mostly grounded story and characters I could empathize with and a sense of stakes, and then unravelling slowly by unwriting itself toward an entirely nonsensical conclusion in which nothing will be grounded in anything. Possibly watching it in blocks all together made it easier to accept longer this time. = /

But that's the one thing that bugs me more than anything now, Dr. Burnham being the Red Angel, her motivations, and especially her having apparently done all of this with her original time suit. I mean, Michael gets a copy of the suit from the original specs, and she does everything her mom did except shooting healing lasers and releasing giant EMPs. Quite apart from the tachyon signature, part of what initially clues everyone in to the idea that the Red Angel comes from the future is that the suit looks too advanced. But apparently it was a prototype from over a decade ago. In fact, since civilization has been more or less razed, it's possible that Dr. Burnham in the future doesn't actually have access to any particularly advanced future tech at all and the suit was just always that crazy OP. There are a lot of places where I feel like I could be overly critical about the show overlooking an "obvious" solution because, well, the writers didn't happen to approach things that way. But I honestly feel like the plan for the Red Angel either shifted or was so vague that by the time they filled in the blanks, it didn't fit. It's another "reveal" in this series that feels like a retcon.

The way the Trek universe works, including Discovery, the "present day" Federation's bid would have been a time ship, not an Iron Man suit. Forget about the spore drive if you can open a wormhole between any two points in space and time, big enough for a starship, with a device that plugs into the back of a special space suit. And I don't even mind if the goal had been to get Michael in a time-traveling Iron Man suit with the power of a small starship bouncing around the universe for the finale, either - hell, she can fly around shooting disruptors out of her hands blasting Section 31 drones and whatever else for all I care - but that's obviously not technology of this civilization in this era. I kinda suspect that's why you came in with the time travel thing, Disco. Why the hell didn't you use it.

But hey, as much as that bothered me, as much as the final battle made no tactical sense, as much as sending the remaining copy of the sphere data to the distant future was an excess of caution after Control had already been defeated; as much as Spock and Michael's last little sob storm was both nonsensical and unnecessary, and even if the coverup was heavyhanded as hell, etc. With all of that said, I think it was still a cute little send-off for the series to end with the Discovery gone but knowing they're still out there in the future, having new adventures, and we got to sufficiently say goodbye and wish them well on their ongoing voyages.

I mean I love these characters and wish this show would stop happening to them so it's really the best of all possible solu - wait what's this about a third season? X /

Edited by Copper Bezel, 06 July 2019 - 01:20 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1950 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10667 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

I'm pretty much in the same place Mike is on Discovery, perhaps being able to turn my brain off and enjoy it a little more easily. I like a lot of things about the show... the characters, acting, production values, set designs.

The writing is just terrible, though. Most of the writers clearly have no idea what science fiction is or how the Trek universe tends to work. The show elevates technobabble into a whole other realm of meaningless nonsense. While all technobabble might be more or less equal to some, in past Trek series it always tended to kind of make sense within the fictional scientific rules of the Trek Universe framework. Discovery's technobabble floors me with how nuts it is.

I was kind of shocked at the "producer count"... I guess I just skip over the credits most of the time, I never realized the sheer number of producers on this show. That many chefs in the kitchen is never good... especially when the hack Kurtzman is leading them.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 06 July 2019 - 01:47 PM.

#1951 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 50207 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, it didn't register at all for me either, and it's just insane. Seeing that portion of the opening again after seeing it 14 times and not realizing - it was like that gorilla suit basketball video.

Another thing that didn't stick with me was how "New Eden" contradicts everything that's said later about the Red Angel even more. So it really and definitely was either made up as they went along or changed completely mid telling. I genuinely don't understand how that can even happen in a show that has fourteen episodes in a season and is released online. Literally having a plan is the one thing we expect you couldn't have hugged up, guys. = /

Now it just makes me think of all the interesting stories that could have happened instead based on what they'd set up in the first few episodes. Although honestly, even just sticking with the Friendship Map and having episodic adventures while developing the characters along the way really would have been enough, and better than where they actually took things.

It just bugs me that now and then, the way the characters would maneuver against each other or against Control could be really good in the short term. Leland vs. Georgiou was particularly nice on occasion. If somebody had kept some continuity notes and the plot had stuck to more of that kind of conflict and less of the Infinity Stone, quantum rift, Forge of Solus Prime stuff, I just don't think there's any reason it couldn't have been a satisfying story. Somebody knew how to write that shit and decided to write stuff they didn't instead. = /

Edited by Copper Bezel, 06 July 2019 - 03:10 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1952 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19196 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

From what I understand a Producer credit and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee, so that doesn't necessarily mean much.

That being said, it would go a long way to explaining some of the issues.

Sitting back and thinking on the show at this point, my biggest issue of season 2 is the melodrama. The plot holes and convolutions and whatnot are what they are - but the afternoon soap quality melodrama, and drawn out nature of numerous moments of conflict to create tension had me literally skipping forward as I watched because I just. Didn't. Care. It seemed like they felt the need to stretch for time to fill a minute count in some episodes and then in others (and even the same) they went the other direction and had to cram a lot of stuff into a very small box.

So I guess pacing and melodrama. Fix those parts and I think it'll be as good as The Orville.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1953 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 50207 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

I don't think that would work for me. I'm willing to accept some melodrama if the emotional beats of the story develop as necessary consequences of characters, actions, and situations that the story has set into place. If the backbone of causality and consequence isn't there, any emotional moments are going to be hollow anyway, no matter how carefully played.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 06 July 2019 - 03:18 PM.

#1954 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19196 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

Absolutely, if they earn it it's one thing. They seldom earned it, or when they did, they then over baked it.

Edited by Dake, 06 July 2019 - 05:24 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1955 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 50207 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

Gotcha. Definitely agreed. 

#1956 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59940 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:53 PM

Like I said in the other thread, I will watch and (to a degree) enjoy anything Trek related as it's presented to me. Interestingly enough I have almost zero interest in books and comics and rely solely on TV and movies to consider it valid.

That said, I enjoyed season 2 a lot more than I did season 1. I think Enterprise looked good but I personally feel they took a few too many liberties to 'modernize' it. While part of me might say "It needs to look better than it did" the other part of me remembers that it worked pretty well in DS9 when they went back in time.

I think if they just kept the same designs, updated the screens, the materials the consoles were made of so they wouldn't clearly look like painted wood and adjusted the lighting and camera angels to match current day techniques it would fit in nicely. Part of what made ToS Trek wasn't merely the sets, but the weirdo lighting they'd use to mask people's eyes and most glaringly the musical score. 

And this goes back to what I always say about people who rant and rave about it not being what it 'should' be - a mere decade later Roddenberry changed literally EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the original sets down to uniforms, lighting, layouts, consoles and Kligons. Motion Picture fits exactly into any other Trek series and was clearly meant to be what the original series was envisioned to look like, but couldn't. 

I find it interesting that no one ever references that when talking about the original Trek. 

#1957 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

The TMP novel, written by Roddenberry, explicitly has TOS as a fanciful dramatization of events. He was firmly of the opinion that what you saw in TMP was what it always looked like.

The reason for the big change in what the Red Angel was supposed to be was because the showrunners were fired mid-season. Which is also part of the reason that season 1 had somewhat of a sharp turn, they had taken over mid-season when Bryan Fuller left. Kurtzman took over for the end of season 2, and he'll be working alongside someone else for season 3, giving the show four different creative visions and directions in three seasons. Not necessarily a huge deal for a purely episodic show, where you might not even notice the change, but for a serial show, it hurts.

#1958 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 50207 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

I don't honestly understand why the look and feel of the uniforms and sets or the finer details of ship design are important at all. I definitely don't care that EU word of God claims the visual look of the original series wasn't canon. If you can accept that much fluidity in how things are represented on the screen, then you can accept anything Discovery did visually. I think Discovery treating all of its technology (especially in terms of what's visible and regularly used and the crew's day-to-day) as roughly TNG-level would hypothetically be a bigger issue if I considered any of those things an issue, which I don't. Try to lean any further into replicating the original show like some kind of Civil War reenactor group and you're so far into diminishing returns that setting it in the existing universe becomes entirely a burden and you'd be better off just doing an Orville. 

I have to say that I've still enjoyed Discovery more than Voyager and possibly Enterprise. I mean, Voyager had nonsense plotting on both an episodic and an arc basis and just two likeable characters, where I've got like, six or seven in Discovery, plus all the great CGI.

The reason for the big change in what the Red Angel was supposed to be was because the showrunners were fired mid-season. Which is also part of the reason that season 1 had somewhat of a sharp turn, they had taken over mid-season when Bryan Fuller left. Kurtzman took over for the end of season 2, and he'll be working alongside someone else for season 3, giving the show four different creative visions and directions in three seasons. Not necessarily a huge deal for a purely episodic show, where you might not even notice the change, but for a serial show, it hurts.

I saw that and it explains things to a degree, but it baffles me all the same. I suppose showrunners must hold their notes hostage as a form of job security to make sure that if they have to leave the writing will tank in their absence, but even so, it shouldn't be this hard to write a new ending to a story in progress. That doesn't fall on project mismanagement, that falls on Kurtzman being a bad writer.

And I guess we can just hope it's only four takes in three seasons. The first season was a writing trainwreck worse than the second, but I was fully willing to forget about it and accept the second season as a fresh start. Which, you know, it was, until they hugged it up too. I don't want to put any bets on the third season somehow managing to avoid a similar fate.

#1959 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

For clarity, I'm not endorsing Roddenberry's view, I think that leads down a pointless rabbit-hole regarding canon that there's no escape from. Also, anyone who considers those uniforms to be their ideal, then I'm not sure they should have a view on anything.  :p

Regarding visual continuity in general, I'd have much preferred had they hewed closer to how TOS looked, especially on the interiors for the Enterprise, but I'd sacrifice that for good writing. As it is...

#1960 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11299 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

Part of what makes it jarring is that TNG, DS9, Voyager, and even Enterprise all took pains to reconstruct the TOS/post-TMP look when appropriate (flashbacks, flash-forwards, time-travel, etc). Enterprise built a whole arc out of reconciling the Klingon question. Hell, DS9 won awards for "Trials and Tribble-ations." DSC made a deliberate choice to ignore an interesting artistic challenge in favour of tacky, cartoonish CGI, and makeup/dentures that the actors couldn't actually act through.

Plus, it's impossible to not compare DSC with what Axanar was planning.

BsWxutU.jpg
fLkRtlv.jpg
F01Aj09.jpg
Mb975nx.jpg
YWwBLkn.jpg

High-def, visually-modern, yet still recognizably in the same universe as Pike's Enterprise.

(Note particularly the cramped, submarine-like bridge, where the captain doesn't have to run laps to give orders to his crew.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users