Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 May 2019 - 03:51 PM)

I was intemately familiar with humour... but she just wanted to be friends...

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM)

BZT Time out! Time out! Time ooooooouuuuuut!!!

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 08:23 AM)

Yes. Are you familiar with humor?

@  Sabrblade : (17 May 2019 - 07:50 AM)

You are familiar with The Room, yes?

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 01:14 AM)

nah, tuxedos are formal wear

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 10:38 PM)

*...while dressed in a tuxedo*

@  unluckiness : (16 May 2019 - 09:22 PM)

*casually tosses kryptonite island at Lex*

@  Sean Whitmore : (16 May 2019 - 06:21 PM)

O hai Lex.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:31 PM)

You're just a little chicken! Cheep cheepcheep cheeEeeeEEEeeeep!

@  Nevermore : (16 May 2019 - 04:20 PM)

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:14 PM)

So I guess I shouldn't try to tie in The Room.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 May 2019 - 02:29 PM)

I was just talking cheesy in a dated filmmaking sense, not mind-bogglingly god-awful.

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Well, certainly The Last Airbender is worse at being a Superman movie.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Is that better or worse than The Last Airbender? I mean, they're both terrible, but....

@  RichardT1977 : (16 May 2019 - 09:28 AM)

And the worst Superman movie is "Dragonball: Evolution".

@  Paladin : (16 May 2019 - 08:01 AM)

the best Superman movie is "The Iron Giant." You cannot convince me otherwise.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 10:16 PM)

At least even in the first Christopher Reeve movie, when he caught Lois that first time, the background kept scrolling down for a second to indicate it wasn't a sudden stop.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 10:10 PM)

I guess you had to have been there. I did like the beginning a lot, though; the stuff on Krypton and in Smallville. The movie just got so cheesy once it got to Metropolis, though, it's kind of painful

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 May 2019 - 06:25 PM)

The performances, the cinematography, the significance of a comic book adaptation being treated like a real movie. Silly stuff like that. :)

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 05:17 PM)

Yeah, I've never really understood what people loved so much about it. Other than the score, of course, which was one of Williams' finest

@  Paladin : (15 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

and it's not even the dumbest part in that movie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 03:16 PM)

Flying Lois around was fine; it was all the Can You Read My Mind nonsense that ruined the scene

@  Sabrblade : (15 May 2019 - 12:08 PM)

The recent Shazam! movie had Billy bumbling his way through learning his powers. But all or most of it was genuinely funny.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:27 AM)

But yeah, in retrospect it makes me cringe the way he caught and carried the helicopter in his public debut in the first film...

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM)

(she wasn't in III long enough to be flown around)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM)

You mean the Donner movie, the Donner/Lester movie, and The Quest for Peace (for which I don't know the director)?

@  unluckiness : (15 May 2019 - 11:09 AM)

At least he didn't try to fly lois around like in the Donner movies.

@  Cybersnark : (15 May 2019 - 10:45 AM)

My favourite is still from the first episode of the 90s Superman animated series, where Clark initially tries to catch the falling plane by its tail... which snaps off in his hands because physics doesn't work that way.

@  MEDdMI : (15 May 2019 - 09:46 AM)

I think it'd be boring if a hero could use their powers perfectly right off the bat and not have any unforseen consequences (though I also don't keep up with a lot of superhero stuff, so not familiar with those scenes)

@  Dekafox : (15 May 2019 - 09:23 AM)

Overseas, Kamen Rider Gaim did something similar after Kouta(the main character) got his transformation belt. He tried to do a whole bunch of mundane things with it cause he thought it'd make him better at them and they all go horribly wrong.

@  Paladin : (15 May 2019 - 08:59 AM)

superspeed causes enormous friction on fabric. the 1990 Flash had the same issue and it was mentioned in "The Incredibles" too...

@  fourteenwings : (15 May 2019 - 08:45 AM)

Arrow didn't have one (though Oliver got hurt a lot in flashbacks), Supergirl already had her powers, LoT gang also already had their powers mostly and in Black Lightning discovering your powers seems to be more associated with emotional trauma than anything comedic

@  fourteenwings : (15 May 2019 - 08:43 AM)

In the Arrowverse shows... I guess The Flash accidentally ran so fast he shredded his clothes? (totally not a chance to showcase Grant Gustin's "I'm not Glee kid anymore!" physique)

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Now with Season 2

1947 replies to this topic

#1941 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18748 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Yeah. I feel like we were supposed to believe that she had mellowed in her time outside the Mirror universe, but we saw nothing that would reasonably explain that actually happening.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1942 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10489 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Georgiou felt weird to me, like they were doing a huge backpedal on the 'genocidal, cannibal sociopath' parts of her personality, and leaving her as just 'amusingly evil'. I get why, to make her more palatable as a series lead for the S31 show, but it was done poorly.

Huge agree on Pike and the Enterprise. I would happily ditch all the other stuff they're doing to get a spin-off on the Enterprise, preferably episodic.

Yeah. I feel like we were supposed to believe that she had mellowed in her time outside the Mirror universe, but we saw nothing that would reasonably explain that actually happening.

It's neither... it's because everyone else is supposed to believe she's that universe's Georgieu.

#1943 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18748 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

Sure, except everyone (that counts) on Discovery knows that's not true, and she HAS mellowed. I suppose one could call it pure self-interest but she is different.  

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1944 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10578 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

I didn't know genocidal sociopaths could significantly mellow.

But I guess Hannibal Lecter's character changed significantly once he became popular as well, turning him into a more appealing anti-hero rather than just a psychopath.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 25 April 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#1945 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9090 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

Calypso still has to happen, so they have to swap ships at some point.

I’ve seen it stated second-hand that Calypso is an alternate timeline where they hid Discovery instead of going to the future. But I haven’t seen a first-hand source on that, so I wouldn’t wear to it. I do rather expect to see the AI evolve as the series goes on.

It’s not very satisfying right now, but hopefully the Section 31 show will elaborate on her growth. Plus she’ll be around for at least part of season 3. I’m kind of assuming that she’s just assimilating. Section 31 allows her a controlled (ah-heh) outlet for her darkness even within the disgustingly upbeat universe she’s found herself in. And she explicitly has a fondness for Michael.

Apparently Pike dropped the name Una for Number One at some point during the finale. I missed it, but it’s there.

I’m kind of in limbo at the moment. There’s so much that I love about the show but it’s also dragged down by some obvious omissions and weird choices. It feels like the writers are more interested in drama than logic. I like the drama, but....can you maybe please fill in the holes a bit better instead of just running past them?

#1946 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2985 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

Im unsure if Ill be on board for season 3 without Pike. I binged season 1 and thought it was okay. Not worth the $5 per month.

Season 2? I paid for the commercial free plan. Anson Mount stole the show. I lived for Thursday nights.

But Im just not sure if Im into the cast without Mount.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#1947 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18748 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

Calypso still has to happen, so they have to swap ships at some point.

I’ve seen it stated second-hand that Calypso is an alternate timeline where they hid Discovery instead of going to the future. But I haven’t seen a first-hand source on that, so I wouldn’t wear to it. I do rather expect to see the AI evolve as the series goes on.

Ugh, that would be even worse in my mind. While we didn't see Mudd this season (his short may have been more of an epilogue from season 1), the other Short Treks linked in to the standard show. It'd  be strange for that one to be a one-off like that.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1948 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10578 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:15 PM

Just activated my 7 day trial of Prime's CBS All Access and binging of S2. So far I like it... I can see why people like Capt. Pike.

Also, it's damn nice to finally see someone order a cheeseburger and fries from a food terminal. Number One has class.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users