Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 May 2019 - 05:53 AM)

Was that the one where he fights gamma mutant poodles?

@  unluckiness : (25 May 2019 - 03:14 AM)

The CG in that movie was fantastic. Shame Donkey and Fiona were written out of the movie though.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Don't worry, though. Ang Lee's Hulk has made it, so if physical media goes this year we can all die happy

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:12 AM)

It's not on 4K yet. Sure would be nice, though

@  Pennpenn : (25 May 2019 - 12:56 AM)

Probably, when I remember to.

@  Telly : (24 May 2019 - 11:11 PM)

you should buy it on bluray or 4k

@  Pennpenn : (24 May 2019 - 09:56 PM)

It's still not up on netflix. Bah!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:26 PM)

We named the dog "Indiana".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:25 PM)

Happy 30 years to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Truly they are the compleat package.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 May 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Made from the metallized ashes of their previous enemies.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Now with Season 2

1947 replies to this topic

#1921 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8928 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

When Seth McFarland makes a better Trek show you know somethings wrong.

#1922 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45492 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:40 AM

*Gets curious, looks at what people are talking about*

...WHAT?!

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#1923 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12765 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:49 AM

Yup, thats how they ended it.

fslookup.jpg

#1924 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1162 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

When Seth MacFarlane makes a better Trek show you know somethings wrong.

Good thing that hasn't happened, then.

LOOKDOWN.png

#1925 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45492 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Yup, thats how they ended it.

Outsider thoughts from someone who has yet to watch the show:

Spoiler

Edited by Rust, 22 April 2019 - 11:21 AM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#1926 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17868 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Well this seems like an entirely unnecessary plot twist.

nzo8WYb.png

#1927 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8928 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

When Seth MacFarlane makes a better Trek show you know somethings wrong.

Good thing that hasn't happened, then.
Spelling aside you keep telling yourself that :D

Edited by Daith, 22 April 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#1928 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

I bet its only a matter of time until they make a show, that's set between the Original Series and the Next Generation.

It will exist solely to have dialogue like this.

"Say captain, what was the name of that officer who saved us all today?"

"Now what was as it...ah yes Picard"

"Well be sure to tell him that I think he has a bright future ahead of him, and that he should treasure his magnificence set of hair forever" 

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#1929 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45492 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

"The Crusher lad has a fine wife with a baby on the way. He'll go far in Starfleet, mark my words."

#1930 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

Leaving aside all of the issues I have with the plot, canon issues and literally quoting 'The Principal and the Pauper', the constant heartfelt conversations when things are ninety seconds from exploding, and Michael Burnham in general...

The elaborate, expensive space battle was awful. All the capital ships just hanging in space doing nothing while all these specs flew around and exploded. Boring to watch with no stakes and nothing to care about.

#1931 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16917 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:01 AM

"That Dr. Soong sure has gathered a lot of data for his special project... I'll be curious to see what amazing lore he builds going forward."

-ZacWilliam, "Also, apropos of nothing "Q" sure is a great letter of the alphabet isn't it guys?"
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#1932 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

"That Dr. Soong sure has gathered a lot of data for his special project... I'll be curious to see what amazing lore he builds going forward."

That joke would work better if Enterprise hadn't already used it.  :p

#1933 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34205 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

I dont understand how Kurtzman has been feeling caged by continuity. He has been doing whatever he wanted with little regard for it. Maybe he just meant he will be free from criticism about continuity.

Edited by Axaday, 23 April 2019 - 02:36 PM.

#1934 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17868 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

Man, if he didn't want to deal with continuity, he really shouldn't have taken Trek on. There's absolutely no secret that, for better or worse, Trek fans obsess over the lore.

And, like, if he thinks jumping to the far future with free him from criticism, then boy is he niave.

nzo8WYb.png

#1935 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18762 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

Again, their prison of continuity was entirely of their own creation. I have no sympathy.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1936 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45492 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

And now that they're "free" of that continuity, boy won't things be fun?

I'm actually curious how they intend to address the massive tech imbalance on the part of the Discovery now. Anyone else think the next season's going to be Star Trek: Fallout, with the Discovery tranversing through a post-galactic apocalypse hellscape in which they stand a snowball's chance against aggressors simply due to how much has been lost?

#1937 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9340 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

I'm actually curious how they intend to address the massive tech imbalance on the part of the Discovery now. Anyone else think the next season's going to be Star Trek: Fallout, with the Discovery tranversing through a post-galactic apocalypse hellscape in which they stand a snowball's chance against aggressors simply due to how much has been lost?

They will win because Michael Burnham!

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#1938 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1176 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:34 AM

Calypso still has to happen, so they have to swap ships at some point.

#1939 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38742 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

So the season finale. 

I enjoyed the space battle, and seeing the D7s and Enterprise battling a common foe was neat. Not too crazy about what happened with the ship and crew, but I imagine that afte a few episodes next season, they will pop back. I do like how they made sure that the show was in canon though.

So, let's discuss this season.

Season 2 had some highlights:

Spock was awesome. I think that he was perfectly cast, even if he didn't look like TOS Spock, he did a great job with the character.

Section 31. While I don't like the idea that everyone seems to know who they are, I do like that they are there and hoarding all the good tech.

Klingons. Much improved from the first season, and I loved seeing the D7 in action again.

The Emperor. I freaking loved her in this season. Being part of Section 31 really fit her character and she pulled it off amazingly.

Captain Pike. Probably the most amazing part of this season. I loved the TOS references, seeing him in his accident carrying out the trainees, his choosing to accept his fate in order to save the universe. It was all pure awesome!

The Enterprise and Number 1. Seeing the Enterprise again, in glorious HD, was pretty awesome, and I enjoyed watching it actually go into battle with its shuttles and pods all active.I was expecting them to hint at Number 1's EU origin a bit more.

The rest of the show was just decent to meh. I still get a little annoyed with how characters on this show have personal conversations with friends while a raging battle is going on, or some other emergency is happening. I felt that this season's villain was under developed and not really explained that well. It also felt a little derivative of the Borg, but in a Dollar Store Chinese knock off sort of way.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#1940 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:46 AM

Georgiou felt weird to me, like they were doing a huge backpedal on the 'genocidal, cannibal sociopath' parts of her personality, and leaving her as just 'amusingly evil'. I get why, to make her more palatable as a series lead for the S31 show, but it was done poorly.

Huge agree on Pike and the Enterprise. I would happily ditch all the other stuff they're doing to get a spin-off on the Enterprise, preferably episodic.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users