Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

Also you have Bayonetta and a bunch of Fire Emblem people.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

...I mean, Tales character. Probably up to/for it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 01:26 PM)

But what if I need to kill a god? Or several of them?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

Kratos is allowed, but only the one from Tales of Symphonia

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 10:56 AM)

So no Kratos?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:42 AM)

In any case I'd rather have another Fire Emblem character than another character from a PlayStation exclusive game who teeeeeechnically was in a spinoff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Kong had his name on the games first, but Mario was the protagonist first. It's debatable.

@  Rycochet : (17 June 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Wouldn't Mario be the one spun off from the Donkey Kong franchise, given that Kong was first?

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 05:19 AM)

I would count Wario and Yoshi, but not DK (might be because I wasn't even aware DK was spun off from the Mario franchise until I was in my mid-20s, but whatever)

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:13 AM)

But to be fair, Corrin is the only one I particularly dislike and it's really more boredom due to their blandness as characters

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:09 AM)

It would depend on whether or not you count DK, Wario and Yoshi as part of the Mario franchise or separate. Scratch that, there are more Mario characters even with just the mushroom symbol people but it's a close call.

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 02:55 AM)

You'd figure Fire Emblem would have enough characters in Smash. Kinda feels like there's more FE characters than Mario characters.

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

@  Trpodeca : (11 June 2019 - 03:55 AM)

I just wish they'd release the Astro City paperback trades.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:31 AM)

As an open-minded heterosexual, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM)

Currently in the process of re-reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Big props for the issue featuring the "Dancing Master" and its portrayal of non-stereotypical gay characters.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 June 2019 - 05:25 AM)

Don't phone charges often contain special rapid charge circuitry, though? The voltage might be higher too, given the selfie stick probably has a very basic battery.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 11:28 PM)

Glad to be of assistance!

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 10:32 PM)

*checks selfie stick and phone charger* huh. perfect fit. thanks!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 09:58 PM)

I would use the USB-to-AC adapter that came with my iPhone, though I gather you must have a different brand of cell phone.

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

In that case a generic adapter is probably your best bet, then. Keep in mind a lot of hotels now have plain USB outlets in rooms too, though; but I guess that's not guaranteed

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 05:31 PM)

yeah, i just need something small to plug into the wall. im not sure im taking my laptop on my trip later this year and i want a way to charge my stuff

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM)

They also have wall outlets with built-in USB in addition to the two regular plugs; I installed those around my place so I have USB ports everywhere

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:02 PM)

You might be able to get a generic adapter to use with it at Radio Shack if you know the appropriate voltages or whatever

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:01 PM)

It came with a USB cable with no AC adapter? A lot of lower priced electronics do that, presumably assuming that USB is pretty ubiquitous

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Yeah, must be, I guess.

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:59 PM)

maybe having bluetooth has something to do with it?

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

the one i got has an on/off button, and came with a usb to attach to my laptop to charge it. its this one https://www.walmart....ility/432985497

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 04:51 PM)

Selfie sticks have power? I thought they were to just hold the phone away from you

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:44 PM)

need some technical help.how do i charge my selfie stick without using my laptop? is there some kind of portable charger? i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i dont know very much about this stuff

@  MEDdMI : (08 June 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Different songs or overdosing don't work for me. My brain can play multiple songs at once. Best to do something else to distract me.

@  Xellos : (08 June 2019 - 05:36 PM)

Still, the worst is having the last song I hear before going into work being stuck in my head all day.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Discovery - Now with Season 2

1947 replies to this topic

#1841 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1171 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:30 PM

So can people stop bitching about the Klingons now?
LOOKDOWN.png

#1842 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9100 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:04 PM

This week's episode moved stories forward but didn't so much have a main story all its own.  The Klingon drama was the A-story but it was largely table-setting.  It was some good, old-fashioned Klingon drama.

Spoiler

The show is actively addressing continuity concerns from last season.

Spoiler

Good episode.  Not a traditional episode like last week, but it felt less rushed and moved things forward.

Somebody has surely done a L'Oreal L'rell Photoshop, right?

Edited by Mouse_Pad, 01 February 2019 - 10:07 PM.

#1843 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1171 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

I made the mistake of attempting to watch videos about Discovery on YouTube and I've discovered that Trekkies and Discovery are at least on par with the Disney ruined Star Wars and Michael Bay raped my childhood crowd. Really makes me hope classic Trek never returns.
LOOKDOWN.png

#1844 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32686 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, they're damned awful. We got the same type of 'fan' mouthing off from Doctor Who fandom when Jodie Whittaker took over as the Doctor, and they haven't shut up since.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#1845 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17989 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

I might actually be warming up to this show.  It still needs to learn how to balance the unrestrained CG fluff with stuff that actually moves the story forward, but episode 1 of Season 2 has left me with a far nicer taste in my mouth.

Shame that it's stuck behind a paywall.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 02 February 2019 - 06:11 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#1846 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1171 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

https://m.facebook.c...718901244793030

Still waiting for them to find an excuse for Stamets to sing on the show. Mushroom samba or something.
LOOKDOWN.png

#1847 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

Spoiler

Even at the time, the producers basically said 'we didn't have time or money to do a new older Klingon ship, imagine that it's a D4'.

#1848 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22317 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

Midnight's Edge explains how the licensing split happened and why Discovery looks the way it does. It's fascinating the legal hoops they all had to go through.

TL;DW, it's Sumner Redstone's fault.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#1849 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12412 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

Midnight's Edge explains how the licensing split happened and why Discovery looks the way it does. It's fascinating the legal hoops they all had to go through.

TL;DW, it's Sumner Redstone's fault.

Fundamental error at 24:47. Discovery was not created by Paramount, but by CBS, and I have seen no evidence to lead me to believe that it's under Paramount's license. I have little reason to trust anything that comes after this point.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 08 February 2019 - 07:30 PM.

#1850 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9100 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

This week, Discovery again juggled three plots.  The A-story was a very classically Star Treky story.

Spoiler

This week in Fixing Continuity:

Spoiler

It was another very satisfying episode.  Season 2 seems very much to be course-correcting from season 1.  As much as I enjoyed season 1, I think I'm enjoying season 2 a bit more.  The lighter tone is more approachable, and I don't have so much of a fear that they're going to seriously screw this up.

#1851 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18795 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

Spoiler

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1852 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9100 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

Spoiler

Makes sense, in a retcon sort of way.

Spoiler

#1853 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11110 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

I have now read all available Discovery novels (next one is coming out in July).

Desperate Hours by David Mack: A team-up between the Shenzhou and the Enterprise commanded by a young and untested Christopher Pike, and featuring Burnham, Saru, Number One, and Spock. The first DSC novel, written before the series launched, and this has the early-installment weirdness that inevitably comes from being based on a script rather than the final performances. A respectable start, though sadly utterly removed from canon thanks to season 2 (honestly, I'd rather have kept DH).

Drastic Measures by Dayton Ward: A pre-Shenzhou flashback, involving then-Commander Georgiou and then-Lieutenant Lorca dealing with the Tarsus IV tragedy and trying to hunt down Kodos the Executioner (making a smooth integration with what we know from TOS). This is, so far, our only look at Lorca Prime, who proves to be not too different from the version we got to know, though much more conflicted about his aggressive side. Georgiou meets a very young James Kirk. Aside from an unfortunate fridging (Lorca loses someone in the massacre), this is a good character piece for those wanting more Georgiou.

Fear Itself by James Swallow: An early-Shenzhou adventure, showing the not-yet-friendship between Burnham and Saru, as Saru experiments with defying orders for the first time in his career, and nearly starts a war with the Tholians and/or the Peliar Zel (and a war between the Tholians and Peliar Zel. He just royally hugs up). It plays reasonably well with established canon, though Saru has apparently encountered a Ba'ul face-to-face (unlike what Short Treks suggested), though that could easily be slotted into his backstory somewhere off-camera.

The Way to the Stars by Una McCormack: Is a hugging masterpiece, OMG. Aside from a framing device (apparently set just before S2 begins), this is the story of 16-year-old Sylvia Tilly going through a crisis and finding her people. This isn't so much a Star Trek book as it is a perfect young adult book that happens to be set in the Star Trek universe, and deals heavily with issues of anxiety, identity, family (both biological and found), and privilege (both personal and cultural). This is the book I would give to non-Trek fans to introduce them to the universe. It gives us a long-needed look at how the rest of the galaxy views the Federation, and how people in the Federation feel about Starfleet, and why the people in Starfleet would give their lives for the Uniform and what it means.

Also, Siobhan Tilly has displaced Lwaxana Troi as the Worst Mother in Star Trek. Lwaxana may be overbearing, but she has never been actively toxic to her daughter's emotional and mental well-being. All of Tilly's anxiety issues can be traced directly to that witch.

Edited by Cybersnark, 13 February 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#1854 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12412 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Haven't yet read Fear Itself, but I agree with the rest of these reviews. I especially echo your sentiments about The Way to the Stars. Possibly the most enjoyable Trek book I've ever read.

#1855 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:31 AM

by Una McCormack: Is a hugging masterpiece, OMG.

Really, you could put any of her Trek works at the start of that and be correct (although I've not read her, or anyone else's post-The Fall work yet). The Never-Ending Sacrifice in particular is incredible.

#1856 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9100 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:06 PM

This week's episode had some bullshit pseudoscience that's kinda hard to swallow.  But beyond that, it was a good episode.  One A story and a smaller B story.  The whole thing slowed down a bit and the plots had room to breathe.

Spoiler

#1857 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34216 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

Spoiler

I don't think we saw one in Enterprise.

#1858 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9394 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:13 AM

Spoiler

I don't think we saw one in Enterprise.

I believe Mouse Pas refers to the K'Tinga model recycling in ENT 1x05, which even the showrunners told us to pretend it was not.
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#1859 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9394 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:37 PM

I have now read all available Discovery novels (next one is coming out in July).

Desperate Hours by David Mack: A team-up between the Shenzhou and the Enterprise commanded by a young and untested Christopher Pike, and featuring Burnham, Saru, Number One, and Spock. The first DSC novel, written before the series launched, and this has the early-installment weirdness that inevitably comes from being based on a script rather than the final performances. A respectable start, though sadly utterly removed from canon thanks to season 2 (honestly, I'd rather have kept DH).

Drastic Measures by Dayton Ward: A pre-Shenzhou flashback, involving then-Commander Georgiou and then-Lieutenant Lorca dealing with the Tarsus IV tragedy and trying to hunt down Kodos the Executioner (making a smooth integration with what we know from TOS). This is, so far, our only look at Lorca Prime, who proves to be not too different from the version we got to know, though much more conflicted about his aggressive side. Georgiou meets a very young James Kirk. Aside from an unfortunate fridging (Lorca loses someone in the massacre), this is a good character piece for those wanting more Georgiou.

Fear Itself by James Swallow: An early-Shenzhou adventure, showing the not-yet-friendship between Burnham and Saru, as Saru experiments with defying orders for the first time in his career, and nearly starts a war with the Tholians and/or the Peliar Zel (and a war between the Tholians and Peliar Zel. He just royally hugs up). It plays reasonably well with established canon, though Saru has apparently encountered a Ba'ul face-to-face (unlike what Short Treks suggested), though that could easily be slotted into his backstory somewhere off-camera.

The Way to the Stars by Una McCormack: Is a hugging masterpiece, OMG. Aside from a framing device (apparently set just before S2 begins), this is the story of 16-year-old Sylvia Tilly going through a crisis and finding her people. This isn't so much a Star Trek book as it is a perfect young adult book that happens to be set in the Star Trek universe, and deals heavily with issues of anxiety, identity, family (both biological and found), and privilege (both personal and cultural). This is the book I would give to non-Trek fans to introduce them to the universe. It gives us a long-needed look at how the rest of the galaxy views the Federation, and how people in the Federation feel about Starfleet, and why the people in Starfleet would give their lives for the Uniform and what it means.

Also, Siobhan Tilly has displaced Lwaxana Troi as the Worst Mother in Star Trek. Lwaxana may be overbearing, but she has never been actively toxic to her daughter's emotional and mental well-being. All of Tilly's anxiety issues can be traced directly to that witch.

Haven't yet read Fear Itself, but I agree with the rest of these reviews. I especially echo your sentiments about The Way to the Stars. Possibly the most enjoyable Trek book I've ever read.

Really, you could put any of her Trek works at the start of that and be correct (although I've not read her, or anyone else's post-The Fall work yet). The Never-Ending Sacrifice in particular is incredible.

I have The Way to the Stars, but I have yet to go through it as I have with the first three Discovery novels. I look forward to The Enterprise War at the end of July.

It is a pity that season 2 threw out Desperate Hours. Oh well, any longtime readers saw it coming, alas.

I somewhat dread the day of the Picard series's debut when post-Nemesis novels get thrown out the window. Those TNG novels, for all their good and bad, have kept me going.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#1860 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:23 AM

I somewhat dread the day of the Picard series's debut when post-Nemesis novels get thrown out the window. Those TNG novels, for all their good and bad, have kept me going.

Yeah, it won't be the first time that a tie-in universe I like that will have been discarded in favour of making new TV/Movies, but I'm pretty sure that Trek will hurt the worst. At least when Star Wars EU went away, it had grown stagnant in just about every area, and desperately needed a shake-up, but Trek Lit is doing some of the best that Trek has ever been. So many great characters, so much potential still, all of which is going to be thrown out for what I fear will be a lowest common denominator series...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users