Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2019 - 06:41 PM)

Triple changer, turns from ashes to dust.

@  Rycochet : (21 September 2019 - 05:22 PM)

To Ashens we transform! We turn into a human, a brown couch and a heap of tat.

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Everything that went wrong with the Transformers: Prime show panel at TFCon Charlotte

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
646 replies to this topic

#601 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12543 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

there has never been a main show-based Transformers line for which adult fan interest has been as low as it is for RiD

[citation needed]

I'd provide one, but I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to post images of human sphincters.

So just imagine the sphincter, pooping out phrases like "there has never been a main show-based Transformers line for which adult fan interest has been as low as it is for RiD" or "adult fans are the real target market".

M "'Imagine Sphincter'. Worst Cover Band EVER" Sipher

Edited by M Sipher, 16 November 2015 - 07:59 PM.

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#602 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

The vocal contingent of adult fans for 30 year-old children's toys that's always, ALWAYS appalled and derisive about the idea that some of the children's toys on the pegs are for children never ceases to depress me. Hell, we adults have our own children's toyline, but somehow that's not enough.

And no, that's not an invite to anyone for another argument about inane reasons Hasbro should cater to the myopic entitlement of adult fans while ignoring or short-changing the kids who are the potential adult fans of the next 30 years. You want the characters in the children's line, just buy the damn children's toys.

#603 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 5789 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

there has never been a main show-based Transformers line for which adult fan interest has been as low as it is for RiD

[citation needed]

The fact that Hasbro doesn't think it's worth saying much about at Botcon suggests that they think so, at least.

And there seems to be less discussion of the RiD toys on this forum than there was for Animated or Prime. (The primary exception being when we see toys that aren't on the show yet, in which case it overlaps with being discussion of the show.)

I'm pretty sure the original cartoon had the lowest adult interest. 

I mean "relative to the number of adult fans", of course.

Man, and what a disaster those years were!

[citation needed]

I'd provide one, but I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to post images of human sphincters.

So just imagine the sphincter, pooping out phrases like "there has never been a main show-based Transformers line for which adult fan interest has been as low as it is for RiD" or "adult fans are the real target market".

Wait, what?

Do you two think I'm saying that the RiD toyline should be primarily adult-targeted or anything like that?

I'm not. In fact, one of the reasons I don't agree with "Hasbro is making the show's toyline aim younger because adults don't care anyway" is because they have other, sensible reasons for making the line aim younger and because I think they don't mind losing a periphery demographic as a tradeoff for increasing sales with the primary market.

And because I think fans did care more about Prime as a toyline than they do about RiD.

#604 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17817 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

Ever since the first reveal of Classics style figures in 2005, nothing has been able to get the room going like a Classics/Generations reveal. Sure, Animated, Prime, and nu-RiD have their fans, but if Hasbro is gauging fan reaction based on their panels, I can't say I blame them for dialing back time and space devoted on non-Generations product at conventions.

I find myself wondering how much of this is confirmation bias. Even though a number of fans may be okay with the RiD and Rescue Bots shows, the people most likely to go to a convention winds up not being those fans. News of those shows keeps getting pushed out in favor of Geewun and IDW. It's interesting (if disappointing) when fans of non-Generations products find that they're getting no news instead of a reduced amount from official conventions.
Spoiler

#605 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12543 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

Ever since the first reveal of Classics style figures in 2005, nothing has been able to get the room going like a Classics/Generations reveal. Sure, Animated, Prime, and nu-RiD have their fans, but if Hasbro is gauging fan reaction based on their panels, I can't say I blame them for dialing back time and space devoted on non-Generations product at conventions.

I find myself wondering how much of this is confirmation bias. Even though a number of fans may be okay with the RiD and Rescue Bots shows, the people most likely to go to a convention winds up not being those fans. News of those shows keeps getting pushed out in favor of Geewun and IDW. It's interesting (if disappointing) when fans of non-Generations products find that they're getting no news instead of a reduced amount from official conventions.

Why it's almost as if when you make a line developed to specifically cater to a specific subset of people and run it for a few years, that specifically-catered-to subset will focus way more on the things specifically designed to cater to specifically them rather than the things that aren't, and clamor for more things specifically designed to cater to specifically them.

M "Funny That" Sipher

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#606 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17030 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

Man, I miss when I was a 20 something transformers fan. Those were the days.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#607 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 5789 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:17 AM

Okay, I think it's important to be able to admit when one is wrong, and now that I've been thinking about it, fan interest in Prime's toyline did decline gradually throughout its lifetime, not suddenly toward the end, so it is likely that the shift toward simplified toys is a smaller factor in the level of fan interest than I suggested.

And again, I am not complaining about the fact that RiD's toyline is not appealing outside of its primary market, just saying that, factually, Aligned did contain quite a few things that were more intended "for us" than anything that is still being made as part of it now.

Edited by NovaSaber, 17 November 2015 - 02:22 AM.

#608 gearshift

gearshift

insanely here for buff ROM

• Citizen
  • 2336 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:20 AM

Why doesn't the current children's cartoon toyline match up with my vision of what a children's cartoon toyline should look like, which just so happens to match the children's cartoon toyline being distributed at the moment of my development where I was most vunerable to capitalistic marketing?

Edited by Gearshift, 17 November 2015 - 03:45 AM.

#609 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1910 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

I had no issue with RID-15 heck I was looking forward to it - then I noticed "odd things".

1stly the main focus of the brand in the 1st year seemed to be 1 Step Changer in the 1st few months with some modest amount of Legion class & Warriors - but the former seemed to be much more widely distributed than the Warriors.

The as time went on Hasbro showed off more an more 3 & 5 step changers including minor remoulds and repaints - while still not much happening with Warriors - we got some repaints of the earlier toys like Bee & Grimlock but  noticeable lack of Decepticons remained an issue.

Then we got the Minicons, Deployers more 3 step changers a few more Legions - but still not much happening with the warriors other than some TRU exclusives(mostly repaints). even the legions were repainted too.

So my opinion was - OK they want to sell simple toys to kids - well where are the South American Battalion toys then - they are actually something people wanted - so where are they why not release them in North America at least instead of multiple 3 step changer toys ?

Do we need that many similar Optimus Prime toys in quick succession and so few Decepticons ?  Are they that stuck in the Movie Mind set of not selling Decepticons and over hyping Bumblebee & Optimus (and to some extent Grimlock & Drift).

It just seems to me that there is a very meandering attitude to the brand lately and this can be seen in how they handle the Rescue Bots a line to - that line that seems to be successful more by accident than intent.

------

We have these Conventions and there are supposed to try to inform and entertain use about Transformers - now I've gotten used to them ignoring Rescue Bots at Botcon as much as that irks the heck out of me. but ignoring RID at all events or at least putting it firmly in the background seems very odd indeed to me. when asked Hasbro reps at such events have replied with comments like "We didn't think anyone was interested".

Yet when they do bother to show things off people seem to show at least some interest - take the positive response to the new Minicons as an example of that.

we got little of no advance notice of the Giant Green Grimlock AOE Stomp & Chomp repaint for example - I just get the impression that if they had more confidence in the brand that is a product we "Should" have had advance notice of more than we got (which was not much more than someone tripping over it on the shelf).

I so often only find out about new Rescue Bots toys when I see them actually on sale as again Hasbro seems disinterested in providing any advanced notice of them some of the time.

They seem to like Combiner Wars and like to shout about it but I just do not get that impression at all from the other brand segments - and that disappoints me a bit that they show so little interest in those other products with regard to their interaction with the fandom about them.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that there might be less interest in the fandom in say Rescue Bots or RID or Titan PVC or whatever that isn't the main brand or the brands preferred by adult collectors (i.e. Combiner Wars & Masterpiece).

But surely they ought to be hyping the other things in more ways like RID toys could be more actively promoted via the cartoon fan community perhaps or Rescue Bots could be promoted to Parents groups or organisations that deal with the younger years products.

But it seems the so rarely market this stuff at all to anyone it's not just the Transformers fans they are failing to inform about this stuff.

I think they could do better - they should at the very least be pushing Minicons a lot more.

#610 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14119 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

"Hmm. This new line is mostly simple toys. I get it, Hasbro, you want to sell simple toys and here are simple toys being sold. But wait -- where are the South American Battalion (???) toys? Not where I expect them to be sold? Pshaw. Bad move, Hasbro."

"Rescue Bots is successful? Pshaw. That can't have been intentional."

"Hasbro has presentations with a strong collector focus at collector-oriented conventions, and as such wasn't expecting these collector-line-focused collectors to ask about non-collector-oriented lines? Pshaw. Bad move, Hasbro."

"I didn't hear about RID Stomp and Chomp Grimlock before his release? I didn't hear about more Minicons coming in the next RID season/waves? Pshaw. Bad move, Hasbro."

Pshaw.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#611 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17210 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:39 AM

Mighty Maximal your entire post above could be summed up as:

"Why isn't Hasbro aiming/promoting their kid aimed line to adult geeks? Surely if they knew what they were doing and had their act together they'd be aiming their kid aimed line at adult geeks and promoting their kid-aimed line stronger to adult geeks."

ZacWilliam, which is kinda missing the point.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#612 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5448 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

I see RID and RB toy ads on TV all the time, I don't see what other kind of advertisement Hasbro should seek? TV ads, snippets at the side of Cartoon Network's site and the actual aisles at the store etc. what not are how kids find out about that stuff, they don't wait staring at Botcon livestream feeds and the product isn't being made for fans anyway, the cartoon is SO aimed at kids that they're even putting out animation aimed at geek fans this coming year. The separation of kid and adult fan is by design.

RID and RB are simply not for you by design. CLASSICS? That is what they will talk about at events where theres more geeks than kids. I don't see why you should be frustrated that product that isn't aimed at you isn't being advertised to you. Do you WANT them to waste time telling people that don't like a cartoon and don't like it's toyline style? That would leave less time for the fan-aimed content at the fan-aimed convention.

Edited by Boomhauer, 17 November 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#613 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14119 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:03 AM

Mighty Maximal your entire post above could be summed up as:

"Why isn't Hasbro aiming/promoting their kid aimed line to adult geeks? Surely if they knew what they were doing and had their act together they'd be aiming their kid aimed line at adult geeks and promoting their kid-aimed line stronger to adult geeks."

ZacWilliam, which is kinda missing the point.

It's "why don't you do what I want" in "why can't you see this is best for business" clothing.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#614 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1910 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:09 AM

"Why isn't Hasbro aiming/promoting their kid aimed line to adult geeks? 

Actually the point was why are they not selling products in keeping with their stated intentions (like the South American stuff) - though I expect that will show up somewhere else eventually maybe China. Those are in keeping with their stated goals so not selling them more broadly Internationally is pretty wasteful.

Also using Botcon as an example the other year Funpub were bragging about how they sold many Hundreds of Childrens tickets so there were kids there -  a lot of them- and the whole point I was trying to get across isn't just their poor marketing to Transformer fans of Transformers Products - which is in my view an embarrassment anyway in an of itself but that they are not marketing their products to anyone at all (aside from USA today for some bizarre reason - from time to time).

But that they simply fail to do that Marketing to the right people - Hasbro are very slack about their Social Media performance for example, I can't speak for their facebook activity but they are for the most part pretty hopeless on Youtube and Twitter.

It take private individuals like this to do a decent job of showing their products off as they seemingly can't be bothered.

Also I would take offence at the idea that every fan has the same interests - that smacks of the sort of foolishness that assumes everyone has to sell off of give away their Classics Collection and only buy Masterpiece toys as they are "Adult".

Well I'm buying toys aren't I ultimately that is something you are supposed to suffer social embarrassment for doing - so what difference does it make if you are going to be suffering derision and stigmatization  anyway if the product in question you are being potentially derided for owning is a Bathing Ape Masterpiece Optimus Prime or an Amazon Rescue Bots one.

Also I remember being pretty surprised that Hasbro even bothered to bring the Rescue Bots toys to the last Toyfair as previously they barely seemed to bother  and we are nearly at the time for Toyfair 2016 and with all the shows since then you don't see a lot of Rescue Bots other than at Toyfair.... not remember people what Hasbro are doing is ignoring and side-lining their two Transformers Product line in a broader marketing sense that have ongoing Cartoons and or comics related to them while promoting the line that has much less broader support - I can I guess understand why they see it like that the probably think the cartoon/sdo/ does their job for them so why bother.

But boy does that seem pretty lazy to me.

#615 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14119 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:21 AM

1. It's not about stigmatization or generalization on our part, no -- but toylines are targeted toward audience segments, which affects everything from character selection to aesthetic to figure complexity to (IIRC) pricing. It makes PERFECT sense to throw resources behind pushing a particular line to its matching segment at an appropriate venue. To call good business sense "lazy" is to miss the point entirely. 
  2. Hasbro would love to sell Subline A in Market B. But the way it works is that retailers in Market B order Subline A. If there aren't any orders, they have no venue to sell them. In any event, aren't there online channels these may be available at?
  3. Reading about the Cyber Battalion figures (which I HEARTILY RECOMMEND to anyone who wants to use them as an example of anything): These don't seem to be standard releases at ALL. Theyr'e about as mainline as the GDO Cliffjumper, etc. were to Generations. Per the wiki:

Three years after a large batch of redecos and retools had been created for Hasbro's Asian markets (with North American Toys"R"Us branches later picking them up as exclusives), Hasbro's Global Development Organization ("GDO") division was given a budget to design entirely new toys. Taking a cue from the tail-end Beast Hunters Deluxe and Voyager Class figures (with the Deluxes having ended up being available only in international markets such as Asia and Europe not by design but by circumstance), most of these figures were based on smaller figures from the 2010 Transformers Reveal the Shield Legends Class,Transformers: Prime Cyberverse Legion Class, Generations Thrilling 30 Legends Class and 2015 Robots in Disguise Legion Class ranges, with the designs upsized to roughly Deluxe or Voyager size, keeping the engineering mostly unchanged. These figures were not only released in Hasbro's Asian markets this time, but also in Latin American markets.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#616 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12543 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hey, remember when Transformers was all over Splatoon, Nintendo's newest all-ages game that's pretty much rocketing to "evergreen property"? And was, I do believe, the first Splatfest event to have outside branding attached to it?

Which segment of TFs was in all the visuals again?

M "Here's A Hint, The Title Doesn't Rhyme With 'Bombiner Boars'" Sipher

- Stephen Colbert

#617 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1910 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

Any iodea what age demogrpahic Typically plays Nintendo Games these days - they seem to very a bit from broad family Company (the Disney of Videogames) to specifically trying to appeal to Woman and Girls with the DS and Wii to going through a period of doing no core franchise games of significance and then a whole load of me-to sequels - so I've sort of lost track now of what sort of Company Nintendo is - perhaps I hate to say it "I've out grown them"? which as they were using RID Branding I would guess there could be a number of reasons such as trying to hype that identity to a younger demographic - thinking perhaps the art style is more theme appropriate than say a Movie look would be.

I would guess the main reason they chose RID is who they were targeting was the youngsters and perhaps the perception is that Nintendo is more or less "a Toy company"  (no that isn't an insult - just an observation) these days and another company is already using G1 Transformers art in Devastation so to avoid stepping on any toes it makes sense to use RID15 over G1 at the moment - if Devastation wasn't out I suspect that Brand event would have been leaning towards G1 if they were just going for brand awareness and if it was a Movie year it would have been Movie themed perhaps.

But at least it is an example of them trying even if doing anything in conjunction with Nintendo these days is a bit like looking yourself in the cupboard under the stairs and then expecting people to see you. If I was being mischievous I would suggest that the degree of Nintendo Brand apathy these days is about the same as it is for RID so it's a perfect fit.

Quite similar situation really as after Nintendo spent years ignoring their core audience and often insulting them to their face - they decided it would be fun to make them really angry at them with their continual almost Konami/Capcom/Sega like level of product mishandling (i.e. Zelda) Also Like Nintendo I do feel Hasbro does really want to do better they just happen to not be "Down with the kids" so to speak so often make an utter hash out of what they do - and if they do something good - they then fail to promote it or allow it to be promoted by others in a way that gains additional interest outside some minor audience niches.

Fore example I bet a lot of people don't even know the difference between the parade of DS offshoot (which is perfectly understandable) or even that the WiiU exists - and for those who do know the WiiU exists - Nintendo has left a lot of people scratching their head wondering if they should bother buying a console than Nintendo has said is due to be replaced pretty soon.

I don't want to Rag on Nintendo as I don't feel they are any longer any of my Business - they can do what they like I have as much to do with them now as I do with MLP or Playmobile (i.e. nothing) - but that is sad as up until the Wii I owned every machine they'd made since the NES - many in multiple colours or versions.  But I felt they left me behind rather than I left them behind.

As for Hasbro - I guess they are happy doing whatever they are doing - all I can say is that I was looking at the 2015 release schedule today since some people were asking what their "Toy of the year" was - and I found myself looking much more closely at what Takara had made than what Hasbro had.

I also happened to be playing catch up lately so I just got the Bumblebee & Starscream 2 pck (with mech figures) and boy of boy was that a depressing experience opening that toy and looking at just a couple or three years back had to offer compared to now.

It's really depressing when a cheap cash-grab repaint set outshine darn near EVERYTHING made in the last year (aside from the odd Takara item).

Oh well at least it's always interesting being a Transformers fan.

#618 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Come what may, we hold our heads up to the sky

• Supporter
  • 45061 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

to specifically trying to appeal to Woman and Girls with the DS and Wii

I should probably know better than to ask, but.......what?

#619 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12543 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

to specifically trying to appeal to Woman and Girls with the DS and Wii

I should probably know better than to ask, but.......what?

Remember a few posts back when I asked people to envision a human rectum spewing out stupid phrases?

Go back to that.

M "And Then Do So That For Every Post Ever From... Well" Sipher

- Stephen Colbert

#620 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1910 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

Did you miss that part of the Wii and DS's life cycle where there was a flood of adverts with woman in them aimed at woman. where the Wii was featured in woman lifestyle magazines and so on.

I found it kind of hard to miss myself it was a bit like finding adverts for Dukati Motorcycles in with the Knitting patterns.