Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Fake news, no shinobi.

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

Photo
- - - - -

Help ID a Movie or TV show

Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30669 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Mother goose and grimm?

:???

Not even close.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#22 Gridlock

Gridlock
  • Citizen
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

I will give it a shot, if you guys don't mind... 

It was a live action tv show about time travel. The heroes were a kid and his... uncle? Grandpa? Pretty sure not his father. They were traveling in a machine that always reminded me of a glorified camper. :p Their enemy was a black guy (I think) who was time traveling in a cool looking armor. Their goal was to find bunch of time crystals or something like that, that were scattered across space and time.

Anyone recognise this, or did I just dream it all up? :p I've been looking for this for good 10 years now.

I know exactly the one you mean there is a very attractive young brunette actress in it who looks a bit like Pheobe Cates or Mira Sara (Actually Jennifer Burns who was later in Power Rangers & Space Above & Beyond) they get chased about bye this Menacing Scientist in Armour called Zoetrope (played by Derek Webster) and there is a twist ending.

It's called Josh Kirby Time Warrior : http://www.imdb.com/...=nm_flmg_act_10

I remember it well as I had a huge crush on Jennifer Burns. I also remember Irwin (the Character Barrie Inglham played) as he's so memorable in from : ST:TNG Up the long Ladder episode - they guy who causes so much problems for the crew by starting fires etc...

http://www.imdb.com/...=nm_flmg_act_15so when I saw him in this I remember him right away.

Here is a trail :

It's cheesy as all heck - but actually has some quite snappy dialogue in it sometimes so it's harmless fun (I liked it anyway).

Yes! That's it! Thank you so helping me find it. Cheers! :D

#23 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

I have one as well, I remember an old kids show from the 90s on Nick (I believe) that didn't last long but I remember something about some kids who might have had special powers/telepathy, dealing with Wasp or Hornets that were hurting people. It was live action and sadly thats all I can remember. May have been a telephone booth involved as well.

The Tomorrow People

That would be my thought as well. The original British series, not the cancelled CW remake from last year.

-SS (which was a pretty decent series on its own.)

#24 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1413 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

I have one as well, I remember an old kids show from the 90s on Nick (I believe) that didn't last long but I remember something about some kids who might have had special powers/telepathy, dealing with Wasp or Hornets that were hurting people. It was live action and sadly thats all I can remember. May have been a telephone booth involved as well.

The Tomorrow People

That would be my thought as well. The original British series, not the cancelled CW remake from last year.

Not the original either.  The 90's remake if it was Nickelodeon and had the mosquito plot.

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#25 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1910 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

Yes! That's it! Thank you so helping me find it. Cheers! :D

Happy to help.

---

I have another one - something a bit unusual this time as I sort of know what it is - sort of.

During the 1990's or early 00's there was a film education series on the BBC in the UK that used to cover every aspect of film making - this is pretty much the same thing as Doctor Who Confidential used to be. but the ones in question I would like to track down featured Bond Movies (Brosans one or later) they were way more extensive than you get on Home discs and covered everything from CGI compositing to Catering to Music composition to Building the props, the sets, the roles of the crew, continuity - you name it they covered it - and the series I belive lasted a while and covered more than one Bond Movie.

Now I have a suspicion they may have used the Doctor Who stuff in the same way in more recent years but the Bond stuff was really interesting and I'd like to see it again. does anyone know what I'm on about have they heard of it or know if it might be found some place ?

#26 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5524 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:03 AM

I remember watching a cartoon back in the early 90's that I never what it was called, but I remember the premise and two episodes of it quite vividly. Each episode was based on a classic fairy tale or nursery rhyme story. The main character (whose name I don't remember) I think was an anthropomorphic animal of some kind and lived in what I think was some underground home in a forest with his friends who were also talking animals. In both episodes, the main character would be unwillingly forced into the role of a character from one of the stories that each episode was based on.

The first episode I recall was based on Little Red Riding Hood. The main character got turned into The Big Bad Wolf... except that he wasn't The Big bad Wolf of the story since the real Big Bad Wolf was also in the story at the same time (to distinguish the two, the main character's wolf form was brown while the real wolf was gray). As the wolf, the main character would try to change the story to fix any problems he saw in it, while the story's characters themselves seemed aware that they were playing out the events of the story and kept trying to force the main character to play out the story as it's supposed to be.

A scene I recall very well from this episode is when the main character (as the wolf) heads to Grandmumsy's (as she was called) house and tries to convince her that he isn't the real Big Bad Wolf and that he wants to help her, but Grandmumsy (trying to stick to the story proper) refuses to listen and insists that the wolf she's speaking to is there to eat her. This leads to an argument between the two with the two of them have this back and forth exchange:

"No! I'm here to help you!"

"No! You're here to eat me!"

"Help you!"

"Eat me!"

"Help you!"

"Eat me!"

"Help you!"

"Eat me!"

The argument ends with the main character succumbing to the instincts of his wolf form and he looks as though he really is about to eat her. But then the scene dissolves into a time skip in which we see the main character (still in his wolf form) waking up in Grandmumsy's pink pajamas with his stomach large and bulbous, causing him to think that he really did eat Grandmumsy.

When Little Red Riding Hood and the real Big Bad Wolf arrive and see the main character having seemingly already eaten Grandmumsy, both of them are irked to see how much he's ruined the story and so the real Big Bad Wolf decides that the only way to get the story back on course is for him to eat the main character. The main character flees from Grandmumsy's house into the woods and finds, strangely enough, some kind of office building where he tells the attendant at the desk that he needs to speak to the person in charge. The attendant doesn't let him for some reason (he might have needed an appointment or something), and when Red Riding Hood and the real wolf catch up to him, a big commotion ensues that causes the boss of the place to burst out of his office to see what's going on. And the boss is some kind of vampire or something.

After everyone explains their sides of the story, the vampire reveals that Grandmumsy wasn't eaten and she steps out of his office, just as angry over how badly the story has deviated from how it's supposed to have gone. Shocked to see Grandmumsy alive, the main character draws attention to his bulbous stomach and questions why it's so huge. A little knob on his stomach is then pulled to reveal that it was just inflated to simulate Grandmumsy having been eaten.

I don't remember how the story part of the episode ended, but once the main character is snapped back to his own proper reality by revealing that it was all a dream, he tells the horrible tale to his friends in which this exchange occurred:

Main character: "I dreamed that I ate Grandmumsy!"

His friends: *gasp!*

Main character: "Well, I thought I ate Grandmumsy."

His friends: *sigh of relief*

The second episode I remember was based on Jack and the Beanstalk. The main character this time got turned into Jack, but this time he was the real Jack instead of a second one, so not like what happened with the wolf in the other episode. Anyway, as Jack, the main character is instructed by Jack's mother to do some work like his chores or something, and something leads to them having the beanstalk grow like in the story. The main character climbs up the beanstalk and finds the castle with the giant inside it. The giant doesn't like the main character (as Jack) and I think the giant wanted to eat him. But the giant's wife takes pity on the main character and tries to help him escape. She sends her husband away as she tries to help the main character escape, but the main character won't leave until he takes something that can help with the poverty of Jack's mother. The giant's wife gives the main character a single gold coin from the giant's treasure, but the coin is so ginormous that the main character accidently drops it down the beanstalk.

The giant coin lands in the ground below, creating a narrow but deep hole in the ground near Jack's mother's house. As the main character tries to dig it out, he finds his efforts futile as the coin seems to have fallen so far down into the earth that it's nowhere to be found. So he limbs back up the beanstalk to get something else from the giant's castle. The giant tries again to stop the main character, but the giant's wife again distracts him to send him off. This time, she gives the main character the goose that lays golden eggs (which itself can talk). Inside the castle, we are shown that the goose can seemingly lay golden eggs at will, but when the main character brings it down the beanstalk to show to Jack's mother (whose reaction to being told what this goose is was something like "You're kidding me!"), all the goose is able to lay are instead worthless dark-colored cubes.

The main character tries one more time to get something of value from the giant's castle, and this time the giant's wife gives him the golden harp that soothes her husband (which itself is an anthropomorphic harp with a squeaky voice). However, this time the giant is not warded off by his wife and instead chases after the main character down the beanstalk. Once the main character gets down the beanstalk, however, the harp accidentally falls into the hole created by the coin from earlier and breaks upon hitting the bottom. When it is pulled out from the hole, we see that its strings are snapped and its frame is busted.

What's worse is that the giant is on his way down the beanstalk and the main character quickly asks Jack's mother for an axe so he can chop down the beanstalk. Jack's Mother, however, hands him the only thing she has on hand: a broom. With no axe to chop down the beanstalk, the angry giant reaches the ground and confronts the cowering main character. I don't remember what happened after that point, though.

All my attempts to find what this show was have failed me. All I know is that it was on in the early 90's (it could have started in the 80's though) and I didn't have cable at the time so it must have aired on broadcast television.

This triggers a memory. I think I've seen this, but I have no idea what it is. >_<

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#27 Tien85

Tien85

Viva la X-Warlock!

• Citizen
  • 3163 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

The Tomorrow People

Not the original either.  The 90's remake if it was Nickelodeon and had the mosquito plot.

Looks like it might have been. Thanks AgentOrange and StarSaber.

In memory of Joelle Lawson: 1986-2004 A great friend to all. Rest in peace my friend.
In memory of Roscoe Brown: a loving grandfather who always tried to give his best for his family.

#28 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1910 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

I have another One - I'm trying to recall a Movie it might be a Thriller, a Martial art movie or even a James Bond Movie or even a TV show - and the scene that I'm recalling is a western woman leaving the scene and coming back wearing a tight chinese style (cantonese style possibly with short sleeves) decorated red silk dress (not a wrap dress) with her hair up and stick in her hair and impressing all the men.

I think this was done in Smallville in some form once - but I think there was an older one from a 1970's or 1980's source - it's a bit like how Willie is Dressed in Temple of Doom - same sort of idea but the dress style is Cantonese not Indian like in IJ &the TOD.

Anyone got any ideas ?