Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
- - - - -

Thundercats 6" line coming from Matt...er... Super7!

Thundercats SDCC15 Mattel MattyCollector MOTU

321 replies to this topic

#41 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

How did MOTUC subscription go? Was it paid all up front? Or just an agreement to charge your card once a new toy is ready for delivery?

#42 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

You paid $25 or so up front, then you pay when each figure (or figures) ship. It really sucks when the end of the year is really loaded with product.
QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#43 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6150 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

Usually more like $50 up front, I think -- the cost of the first figure, plus the membership fee/sub exclusive figure's price.

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#44 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3583 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

Now those are some neat-looking figures, even if some of them are going to be for subscribers only.

As for females being convention exclusives, there's no way Mattel will restrict Cheetara to that.  Usually, when it comes to convention exclusives, Mattel may just repaint an existing figure into a more obscure one or make a character that's a remold of an existing character.  I just can't wait to see what oddities Thundercats will have to match the likes of Wun-Dar and Mo-Larr.

Edited by spikeriley, 11 July 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#45 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65379 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:56 PM

I can't recall if any MOTUC females were SDCC exclusives. As far as I can remember they're always make. Well there was the white Sorceress at NYCC.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#46 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

I seem to recall the She-ra villain in the red hooded dress was a Sub exclusive once. That pissed folks off.

#47 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6150 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

Queen Marlena was an SDCC exclusive.

ASM

#48 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3583 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

Confuzor, her name is Shadow Weaver. She never had a toyline in the original series if I recall, but I have to agree that was a dumb move.

#49 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6150 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

It was a smart move for getting people to subscribe. It was a dumb move if you wanted her and weren't willing to subscribe, I guess, but that's not really on Mattel.

ASM

#50 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

It was a big to-do over an "essential" character being made a sub exclusive. People felt that they were being strong-armed into buying a subscription.

You could write a book on questionable Mattel practices and the fan outrage caused by them. On the bright side, it appears that a LOT of that is being alleviated by the departure of Scott "Toy Guru" Neitlich. The new folks in charge seem to be putting everything on the table. They are also listening to people who have been asking for mercy by having two subs running concurrently, but on opposing months. I know that makes the "Collector's Series" a lot more attractive to me personally. And I want to say that this is the first time that the whole subs (from a character standpoint) have been revealed during the actual sub drive. That is a HUGE improvement in transparency.

If the improvements in the MOTU line are any indication, the Thundercats line will be in good hands.

QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#51 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19330 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:25 AM

While the internal management definitely sounds like it's taking a turn for the better, there's still the matter of their notoriously poor online service that needs a major overhaul before people suddenly start singing Mattel's praises.

#52 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:34 AM

It was a smart move for getting people to subscribe. It was a dumb move if you wanted her and weren't willing to subscribe, I guess, but that's not really on Mattel.

If I recall, it was a time where alot of non-essential or straight up made up characters were being sold. So naturally, the fans were not AS interested in buying the whole line, but "had to" to get Shadow Weaver. I can see that pissing people off.

As it stands for Thundercats tho? Mummy Mumm-Ra was originally a mail-away figure and a Pack-in for a Playset. I don't mind him not being readily available so long as Mumm-Ra the Ever Living is coming. And really, they would have to botch this so thoroughly that we'd not see that figure.

#53 Mighty Maximal

Mighty Maximal
  • Citizen
  • 1908 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

I'd quite like a figure of that forest chick Tigra used to hang around with.

I really wish Thundercats had a few more Voice actors on the show all the woman sounding like Cheetara was disconcerting.

Anyway as to the figures : I agree the legs look a little short if you judge them by the Cartoon - "However" judge them by the original toys they seem just right to me.

I can't wait to see if they decide to make Battle Cat into Snowmeaow sometime or make a new mould ?

I wonder what there is that is going to suit a figure that never got one - I know they had a few that were due when the line got cancelled in the 1980's they they could perhaps do now.

Some of the ones i'd like the most they are the least likely to do though as they are not especially Humanoid.

Safari Joe's "Mule" that looked like a droid crossed with a steam train is a fine example.

Do you think If I beg a lot they might make Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers figures one day too ?

#54 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19015 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

The original toys weren't nearly as squat and bulky as He-man though either. Panthro aside, they do have a leaner body type as befits a powerful cat - still very muscular but maybe not quite to this level. I'm still cautiously interested though; I'd just like to see a few more designs.

The reality is, they need to be willing to stray from the He-man manufacturing style right out of the gate. All the mutants will require their own sculpts and they definitely need to have a different shape for Tygra and obv Cheetara. I suspect these will need to be more expensive than the He-man line because there should be less opportunity for parts reuses. If they force the issue and just make all the male cats the same body with different heads, I'll be disappointed.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#55 Caldwin

Caldwin

Feed Me

• Supporter
  • 24576 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

I'd quite like a figure of that forest chick Tigra used to hang around with.

Willa

http://thundercats.w....com/wiki/Willa

Edited by Caldwin, 14 July 2015 - 11:11 AM.

PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#56 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18616 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:38 AM

I think these look neat.

Kind of disappointed that there aren't new versions -- part of me hoped when I first heard that Mattel was doing ThunderCats that there might be something able to sustain the cartoon again, but I guess not.

On a related note: For some reason, I now want to see a Link figure in MOTU Classics style.

He'd probably look like this (slightly NSFW at the end):

...I'm fine with that.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#57 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

In my mind, Thundercats aren't He-Man.

The squat, muscle-bound disproportion of the MOTU bucks simply doesn't result in the kind of feline forms that I would like for Thundercats. Lion-O is a tall dude with long legs. This toy is not that.

Agreed. Old Thundercats were not even terribly feline in apperance, really. I liked what Dan Norton did with the redesigns to make them look more like they are indeed descended from cats.

Also, give me Kaynar over that old Jackalman any day. Pity they never made a toy of him...

kaynar_concept_art_by_dingo107-d4ucrnr.j

Edited by BB Shockwave, 22 July 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#58 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19015 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Mattel heard the fans and sent 4H back to the table for a redux on Lion-O.

It's not a huge difference and still doesn't address the fact that he's just a little too bulky for the character imo, but he looks good.

tumblr_nt1gmuReg21ucthe8o1_540.jpg

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#59 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4956 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

I'm 98.6% sure I'm in a for a subscription.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"How about a nice greasy pork sandwich?"

KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#60 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17139 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

I'm never gonna be in for a Matty Subscription on any thing ever, but I definitely am interested in snagging some TCs singly down the line.

-ZacWilliam, just to stand Lion-o next to He-man if nothing else...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thundercats, SDCC15, Mattel, MattyCollector, MOTU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users