Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
- - - - -

Thundercats 6" line coming from Matt...er... Super7!

Thundercats SDCC15 Mattel MattyCollector MOTU

321 replies to this topic

#1 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

According to ToyNewsI at SDCC '15 Thundercats will be getting the MOTU treatment . 

Supposedly Lion-O and Vultureman have been seen on the showfloor.

Hopefully they learn the lessons from the botched figures Bandai gave us a while back.

Edited by Confuzor, 12 August 2019 - 02:36 PM.

#2 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61952 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

not if they're giving them the Motu treatment right out of the gate they haven't

Edited by Destron D-69, 08 July 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

I meant more the quality of the figures moreso than creating rarity by hiding figures behind a subscription.

Really, all I want to see is the full lineup of Thundercats (Pumyra, Lynx-O and Bengali included) Mumm-Ra and the Mutants, Lunatacks and a Robear Berbil or two. they can lock losers like Safari Joe or Captain Shiner behind Sub requirements.

I like Snowman of Hook Mountain as much as the next fan, but I can totally do without or wait til much later to get him. Same goes for Hachiman, Turmagar, Mandora the Evil Chaser™, Berzerkerz, or the Amazons.

#4 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61952 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

that's the problem though... those are all the favorite characters of the people making the line so we'll have to subscribe to get Lion-o and all of the females will be limited convention exclusives

#5 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4523 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

After how Mattel has handled Matty Collector since...forever...I'm not inclined to get TOO terribly excited.  More than likely we'll see the same issue as MOTUC, but with a smaller fanbase which all but guarantees some fan favorites are going to be left out.

I'm not sure if I'll even snag a couple for fun as I did with several MOTUC offerings.

#6 Caldwin

Caldwin

Feed Me

• Supporter
  • 24576 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

I'll probably buy a few. I absolutely love Thundercats. It was a shame the reboot was cancelled because of Bandai's hug ups.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#7 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9032 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

While I feel Mattel will do the toys justices with the sculpts It's probably goin to be Matty Collector exclusive and thus nothing I'll ever touch.

#8 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61952 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

I'll sniff around any Cheetara they produce... but that might be as far as I go

#9 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19015 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:00 PM

Based on the MOTUC formula, let's make the list right now:

1.Lion-O

2.Tygra

3.Panthro

4.Cheetara

5.Wily Kat/Kit/Snarf

6.Slythe

7.Jackalman

8.Monkian

9. Vultureman

10. Mummra (mummy) w/Ma-Mutt

11.Mummra the Everliving

12.Jaga

Boom - all the big ones in ONE YEAR. There's even room for a bonus 13th figure and some quarterlies... but we know that won't happen. Instead, they'll try to divide them out over the next four years.

Edited by Dake, 08 July 2015 - 11:01 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#10 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

I'm assuming they'll want to do Tygra soonish so they can re-purpose him into Bengali shortly thereafter.

But DAMMIT they'd better do Panthro first!

#11 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9032 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

The other part that will most likely shoo me away is the fact it will highly be based more on the 80's show most likely and while I love the 80's show I wish the new show could get some quality toys too.

#12 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22349 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:52 PM

Oh boy, another beloved 80's franchise Mattel's going to botch.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#13 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:31 AM

As long as I can get Chilla, Grune, Alluro, Pumm-Ra, Mandora, Mumm-Rana, Willa, and Nayda out of it *without* going through MattyCollector.

-SS (and maybe Spirit Jaga if they do a regular one.)

#14 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28452 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Saying Mattel have the toy rights to anything is equal to saying no one has the rights. The exact same lack of satisfaction is assured either way.

#15 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19015 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

I forgot to mention the subscription service will not only be spread out over the next four years, but it will involve an annual ad campaign that is equal parts wheedling, pleading and passive-aggressively blaming the consumer for not being dedicated-enough-fans-and-it's-all-your-fault-if-this-fails!

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#16 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19330 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

I forgot to mention the subscription service will not only be spread out over the next four years, but it will involve an annual ad campaign that is equal parts wheedling, pleading and passive-aggressively blaming the consumer for not being dedicated-enough-fans-and-it's-all-your-fault-if-this-fails!

Meanwhile, in Hasbro's corner: *happily releases Batroc the Leaper at retail*

#17 Caldwin

Caldwin

Feed Me

• Supporter
  • 24576 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

I'll sniff around any Cheetara they produce...

Her and Pumyra both.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#18 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34230 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Man.  The news I have seen is just that they are making Thundercats figures in the scale of MotU (about the original scale, a little smaller) and this thread has turned it into a subscription service and the toys will all be terrible.

#19 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22349 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

Meanwhile, in Hasbro's corner: *happily releases Batroc the Leaper at retail*

I look at my Batroc on my desk and think, "This is the best $20 I have ever spent".

I never look at my Hordak and Nameless One and think that. Nope, I just think "I spent twice what Mattel was selling them for but probably saved on exorbitant shipping".

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#20 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19330 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

Man.  The news I have seen is just that they are making Thundercats figures in the scale of MotU (about the original scale, a little smaller) and this thread has turned it into a subscription service and the toys will all be terrible.

This is Mattel we're talking about.  It's pretty much their MO to screw up their collector/nostalgia-based properties.  Even during their heyday, when DCUC was actually on store shelves, they were always making excuses why improvements weren't being made, why they couldn't do new toolings, blah, blah.  When that toyline fell to subscription-only, they then had the gall to say it was the fans' fault when the service didn't succeed, rather than fix their terrible online service that has continuously been on the receiving end of complaints from day one, or acknowledge their own failings as manufacturers for letting the line fall so far from grace in the first place.

Then there was their big Voltron relaunch that went nowhere.

I think their only mild success on the collector market front is MotU, and I think that's mostly because the fans have pretty much surrendered to the "well, if it's the only option..." mindset.  I still hear plenty of complaints whenever a super-special exclusive becomes available.  DC fans at least have DC Direct as an alternative, especially with them launching that new super-articulated 6" line later this year.

If there weren't a repeated pattern of failure and incompetence at every level, then I'd be willing to cut Mattel some slack.  But as it is, they've made seemingly little headway in escaping that dire reputation.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thundercats, SDCC15, Mattel, MattyCollector, MOTU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users