Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

Photo

FALLOUT 4 - Trailer on Page 2

fallout War. War Never Changes Bethesda

2113 replies to this topic

#2101 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Honestly? I'd argue the world ending in nuclear fire was the best possible outcome for the situation Fallout's world found itself in.

Fossil Fuels weren't scarce...they were effectively gone. Oil, Coal, Natural Gas...what was in production was all there was ever going to be and the US was in control of the world's last remaining oil field. China invaded Alaska to get at that oil, just as the US invaded and annexed Canada to secure a Pipeline access route. China was developing stealth technology, the US was experimenting with viral weaponry.

Thought I was going to say Power Armor? That was the practical side of things, really. Imagine how many suits of power armor you can crank out to make each Infantry Man a walking tank vs producing a single tank? Even the most iconic of Fallout's armors is a direct result of the resource crunch the world found itself under.

But the US was worried about China developing bio-weapons, so they started dabbling in that themselves to create a universal antidote...and ended up with the FEV. They already had Deathclaws pre-war and Fallout 76 confirms Super Mutants were a known outcome as well. Had the world not burned, imagine the horrors that would have been unleashed by FEV. The Deathclaw is the most feared predator in the Wastelands for good reason, and that's the only known Military FEV bioweapon. That was the FEV's "alpha stage".

As for the Enclave...they were one group among many pulling the strings. Vault-Tec had its own, equally mysterious agenda. Space Travel in Fallout becomes problematic when the Zetans have been an acknowledged facet of the universe. While I do consider Mothership Zeta to be akin to the Guardian of Forever segment in Fallout 2 (In which the Chosen One, transported into Vault 13 in the past, ends up breaking the water chip that directly leads to Fallout 1), it's heavily implied that it was the Zetans who extracted the nuclear launch codes that kickstarted Armageddon. FEV could play a big part of that.

Ultimately, the motivations that lead to the end of the world are irrelevant. What I feel needs to happen with the franchise is a move forward, to see what the world after the bombs ends up being. And that's something Bethesda isn't doing a very good job at, since right now the West Coast of the United States is starting to become civilized after a fashion, but the East Coasters are still picking through the dirt and refuse of the old world. The Tribals of Zion National Park have more culture than the average Commonwealth Waster.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#2102 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

Sadly, the outcome of the new world will probably match the outcome of the old. They are WELL past peak resource, and unless they start recycling massively (by which I mean literally ripping buildings down. Like what they're doing in the pitt but by an order of magnitude.) then they'll just keep hitting the same wall and fighting. There's plenty enough nukes left laying around that the apocalypse can play itself out a couple more times before humans are either entirely dead or entirely unrecognizable.

And the US only had FEV because they wantonly experimented with "the new plague". One of stated historical events prior to the end which helped lead to international tension.

#2103 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

The New Plague is a weird bit of background lore that I'm always leery of citing mostly because it's never really talked about. Outside ZAX in Fallout and the Relief Outpost in Point Lookout, it never comes up as a thing that happened at all, and that's especially weird since both Fallout 4 and 76 our Vault Dwellers lived through it.

Anyways, saw a PC copy of 76 in my store's clearance aisle for $29...I left it there.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#2104 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, not a bad choice.

The new plague isn't really talked about because it took it's toll, and was beaten. It was a surprisingly small (all things considered.) portion of the population which was affected, and it only qualified as a plague because there was a ridiculously high mortality rate associated with it. Which really isn't surprising considering it was a US bioweapon which was stolen and ultimately ended up loose in population.

#2105 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, I just came back from the Wiki, delving into the "Could-Have-Been" that was Van Buern's story outline that was cannibalized by Obisidan and Bethesda for story beats in New Vegas and Fallout 4. I kinda wish that had been our Fallout 3. Definitely an interesting story and would have used Limit 115 (aka "The New Plague") as its focal point.

#2106 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:52 AM

So my insomnia has resulted in me falling down the rabbit hole of personal hate videos to positive Fallout YouTubers. Including an entire CHANNEL devoted to personally tearing down one of the top YouTubers for daring, daring, to get certain aspects of lore (mildly) erroneous.

I mean, I stopped following said YouTuber once he started making thirty minute videos on the minor locations in the various games. It's obvious he's milking the franchise for all its worth revenue-wise (and I'm not sure how he can operate a shirt shop that utilizes the brand in a non-official capacity, but that's neither here nor there), but the hatred of the videos I've so far seen is mind blowing, both focusing on him and on Bethesda as a studio.

I've been a fan of the franchise since college. Yeah I was a few years late to the game (Discovering it in 2001 as opposed to '98) but I'm one of the folks that purchased and enjoyed the PS2 Brotherhood of Steel title...and that was a game that you had to work very hard at finding something to enjoy about. But not even I'm as fanatically rabid, nor personally invested, in the fiction universe as these people are.

End of the day, it's all fiction. And by and large, Bethesda's done fine by the IP. Fallout 3 was fun, it got what made Fallout Fallout while changing things up to suit their own design motifs and Fallout 4 is by no stretch of the imagination a bad game - it's just not a good roleplaying game. My biggest problem with Fallout 4 is that if you want to skip the base building and crafting aspects of the game, you're left with a fairly generic Loot Shooter a la Borderlands and, for me at least, the game doesn't lend itself well to replayability due to the lack of significant choice in terms of shaping the narrative (As another YouTuber put it, Fallout 4's dialogue options are "Yes, Yes Pay Me, Begrudging Yes, and Sarcastic Yes"). But I got over 500 hours out of the game in three years anyway, so I definitely got my $60 worth.

As Fallout 76 progresses, my problems with the game have nothing to do with lore contradictions and even then, the setting is Bethesda's. I might not think a heavy robot presence makes sense given the set up of the Resource Wars but if Bethesda says there was then there was. My stake in enjoying the franchise doesn't translate into meaningful ownership of said franchise. Even the bugs don't really bother me (Though the Holotape limit is baffling and I'm honestly curious why that is a limit to begin with - it's leftover Fallout 4 code obviously but that begs the question why Fallout 4 has a upward limit on Holotapes).

What bugs me about Fallout 76 is the lack of physical ownership. You can't play the game on your end, it has to be online through Bethesda's servers. That means in the future when the game is well and truly mothballed that's all she wrote. No more accessing that world, no more having that base with all those weapons. I invested dang near 14 years into World of WarCraft but the game could shut down tomorrow and I'd have nothing to show for it. If I'm going to be honest, I think that's the biggest reason I've shied away from 76...out of fear of loving it. Because if I do end up really enjoying the game, then I'm ultimately going to lose it one day. Bethesda's not going to keep the servers up indefinitely any more than Blizzard will.

But again...it's all fiction. This isn't real and while we can civilly debate the merits of Limit 115 to Fallout's story, there's people out there jumping others for messing up a lore video by claiming a bug on Obsidian's part when a mod conflict on the video-maker's end resulted in said "bug" (Which is why you really shouldn't use mods when doing anything pertaining to lore, but I'm not the one making the videos).

It just makes me appreciate the community we have here on the Allspark a lot more. We'll quibble, we'll bicker, but I've yet to see anyone devote an entire YouTube channel to the deconstruction of someone else.

#2107 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, see: I've been seeing rabid fans of things since high school (and even a genuine Geewunner! in cegep.) and... I don't understand the mentality. Like, the company owns it, and wants to make it profitable, so they make MORE of it. Either find your joy in the more (and consequently, the all.) or, you know... don't. But don't get stuck harping on one small part of it because you yourself have some preference or emotional attachment to that one part.

One my earliest memories is a big red truck turning into a big red robot. I didn't kick a fit because the big red truck once turned into a firetruck. Or a monkey.

#2108 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

If you've got an hour and a half to kill, this is a really neat video:

#2109 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

Fallout 76 managed to do one thing...got me itching for some modern Fallout. So back to Fallout 4 I come. This time with a VERY LEAN Mod list (20 mods). Just the essentials...

s7LHAcP.jpg

But one thing that struck me about the opening - if you ask Codsworth what's happened to the world he'll remark about Ms. Rosa's boy running around the neighborhood in costume a week early. And in one of the houses you'll find a skeleton of what seems to be an earlier survivor, barricaded in one of the houses up the street.

...um Codsworth old buddy. Did you just drop a big hint that Ms. Rosa's boy was the guy living here before, and he got killed by presumably the Bloatflies that moved into the neighborhood?

#2110 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27555 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

Yeah no such luck.  Codsworth has seen Ms. Rosa and others 210 years into the future.

Ironbite-as Ghouls.

xC9l3eY.gif

#2111 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

So what 20 are you running? Cause I keep trying to pare back my list and can't get below 180 or so.

#2112 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:45 AM

The Unofficial Patch

Full Dialogue Interface

Armorsmith Extended

Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource

A mod that adds the ability to craft and wear satchels and bags

The Beantown Interiors Project

Raider Overhaul

See Through Scopes

Reverb and Ambience Overhaul

Vault-Tec Historical Preservation Initiative

Survival Quicksave

Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat and Companion at same time)

Valentine Agency Clean Up

DOOMBASED Weapons Merged (Not actually weaponry from DOOM, but a weapon compilation I personally enjoy)

Worthless Mod (Because of course)

Balding Ghouls

Immersive Pip-Boy Radio

Immersive Drumlin Diner

Immersive Squeaky Doors

Subway Runner

The Mercenary (Armor pack)

#2113 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41412 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

Cool. you've got stuff in there I can't live without (like the raider overhaul.) and a couple I'mma go look up now cause they seem interesting.

Edit: if you're willing to add just one more, I can thoroughly recommend "Unique NPC's; creatures and monsters of the commonwealth". There's some lore unfriendly additions to it which cannot be turned off (seaclaws...) and some which are... middlingly lore unfriendly (Radspiders.) but it also changes how the games basic creatures spawn: opening up the use of all the possible body types, skin types, and affecting scaling so they actually end up looking visually different in groups.

https://www.nexusmod...out4/mods/24357

Edited by wonko the sane?, 13 May 2019 - 06:50 AM.

#2114 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45480 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

Eh, there were just some creatures in that pack that I'd consider "deal breakers". But it did lead me to a few other mods to add in (again, trying to remain "lean" and as close to vanilla experience as possible)...

Commonwealth Chickens and Rabbits, because a diverse eco-system is a good thing.

Squirrels of the Commonwealth for the same reasons.

Glowing Animals Emit Light forgot this one on the initial pass. Great "ambiance".

YK-16 Trauma Override Harness A bit of Old World Blues flavor to the Glowing Sea. I like the idea behind it, and it's a callback without being too "in your face" about it like the Nightstriker creature that just gets dropped into the world level list.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fallout, War. War Never Changes, Bethesda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users