Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Rook & Andromeda on Facebook

5784 replies to this topic

#41 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9586 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

If Sideways has an identity other than "Sideways, a dude from Planet X" I'm pretty sure my head will explode.

#42 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22649 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

well i mean the whole buisness and well look can we just get an outright statement every sideways is the same dude already

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#43 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1687 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

is sideways identity one of them?

please tell me it is

You can expect Vector Sigma to elaborate on that subject.

No, Sideways' identity is in the last Hot Shot's Bot Thoughts.

Excellent!

-JimS

#44 gearshift

gearshift

insanely here for buff ROM

• Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

Please don't be playing with my heart strings.

Falling in love with a B-lister character is tough. Falling in love with a very specific interpretation of an extremely polarising B-lister character who creators for the franchise are bound to mess with more and more and more as time goes by is outright terrifying because you never know whether he's going to be Tarantulas or Reverb or some other B-lister character who doesn't share the name, thereby Ruining Transformers Forever as any change whatsoever is bound to do.

I am prepared to go and translate any Complete Allspark Almanac content on the matter in order to be able to sleep at night.

Edited by Gearshift, 10 May 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#45 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39741 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

I would remain calm.  My mantra is always "don't break anything."

I can't speak for Jim's mantra, though.  I think his is the opposite.

#46 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 16947 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

As I get older, I think I am more and more in favor of breaking things, because it undermines the entire unfounded, unsustainable illusion that Transformers can be made to all fit together in any kind of satisfying way, which just frees me up to enjoy the stuff I enjoy the way I should have been all along.

#47 gearshift

gearshift

• Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

I mostly agree with you. Nothing in Transformers should be sacred... but then I think of Sideways, and I wonder why we can't have nice things. Is it a test? Will Sideways not bring us to robo-heaven until everyone agrees he should have a single wikipage based on the most tenuous of evidence? Nobody knows.

#48 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39741 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

To be more precise, I think in order to be able to break things you gotta earn it first.  Marty Isenberg or Bob Forward or James Roberts or Polygon Studios or Simon Furman or whoever can break whatever they want.  They're custodians of the franchise.  These are now established folks who wouldn't just be taking potshots at the multiverse from underneath, like pulling out a Jenga piece and running away giggling. Wrecking things from, say, Recordicons would feel like that.  

#49 Nickelfan

Nickelfan
  • Protoform
  • 25 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Wait, seriously? More Sideways in the Almanacs? I saw the game piece of him, but how do you "translate" it?

#50 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34975 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

I don't want anything to fit together. I want the character I like to remain unmolested.

That's not me being hyperbolic. I legitimately can't think of a better or non-klunky word to use there.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#51 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39741 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

i, too, have trouble describing aesthetic changes made to transformers characters in anything other than sexual abuse terminology

#52 gearshift

gearshift

• Citizen
  • 2321 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

"unchanged" would have worked. Because yikes.

Edited by Gearshift, 10 May 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#53 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1687 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

Please don't be playing with my heart strings.

Falling in love with a B-lister character is tough. Falling in love with a very specific interpretation of an extremely polarising B-lister character who creators for the franchise are bound to mess with more and more and more as time goes by is outright terrifying because you never know whether he's going to be Tarantulas or Reverb or some other B-lister character who doesn't share the name, thereby Ruining Transformers Forever as any change whatsoever is bound to do.

I am prepared to go and translate any Complete Allspark Almanac content on the matter in order to be able to sleep at night.

I am well aware that emotions run hot around this character and took that into consideration. I thought the entry on him was fun and cheeky and shouldn't ruin him for anyone. I hope. 

I would remain calm.  My mantra is always "don't break anything."

I can't speak for Jim's mantra, though.  I think his is the opposite.

I wouldn't say the opposite. I'd say I like to have fun writing it and hope people will have fun reading it and not take things too seriously. I admit I enjoy provoking a debate. I enjoy drawing connections that weren't there before. 

Wait, seriously? More Sideways in the Almanacs? I saw the game piece of him, but how do you "translate" it?

The very short version of this story is, back in the 90s I noticed that there was a secret language (two, in fact) in the Beast Wars cartoon. I translated it and was able to read hidden messages. So, fast forward ten years and I'm writing TF books of my own, so I thought it'd be neat to do the same thing from the other perspective. 95% of the alien computery fonts in the book are one of these two character sets: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cybertronix

-JimS

Edited by Jim S, 10 May 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#54 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34975 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

i, too, have trouble describing aesthetic changes made to transformers characters in anything other than sexual abuse terminology

um.

They use it in the context of "not being interfered with" in an episode of Gargoyles. That was what I was going for. :/

EDIT - urgh. Thinking on it, I really messed up. I realize what kind of thing this kind of jive can trigger in people and I just clumsily dropped it due to struggling with vocabulary. That doesn't make it right.

Just. Hrgh. Forget it.

Edited by Razorsaw, 10 May 2015 - 05:44 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#55 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9586 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

If you google "unmolested," Google's pre-links definition thingee gives you "not pestered or molested; left in peace" with "they allowed him to pass unmolested" as an example sentence, which is certainly the definition of the word that first comes to mind for me, not anything to do with sexual assault.

Edit: I mean, yes, obviously I am not everyone and even though my brain doesn't associate "unmolested" with the other definition of its root word, that doesn't mean other people wouldn't so yeah I probably shouldn't have jumped in there with my "it's a perfectly cromulent word" reaction. Sorry.

Edited by Kil, 10 May 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#56 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34975 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

I don't really want to make this a debate or derail this. I hugged up. let's move on.

#57 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9586 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Let's just make sure Sideways stays unTarantulas'd.

#58 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 16947 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

They use it in the context of "not being interfered with" in an episode of Gargoyles. That was what I was going for. :/

Every time I'm watching sports and someone is described as being "interfered with" I imagine them talking about someone being molested in a Victorian melodrama and I chuckle to myself. I'm pretty easily amused.

#59 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34975 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

can we please just move on

#60 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 16947 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Maybe after years of counseling.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users