Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 02:39 PM)

@TheMightyMollusk Thanks for clarifying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 12:34 PM)

@Otaku, most people were oblivious. The smart ones did their emergency shopping the day before, so there wasn't much left anyway.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 09:37 AM)

@wonko Only happened a few times and I don't remember the exact details, but yeah.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 08:06 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Is that really the same thing? I mean, it is if the people were casually shopping and oblivious to the danger to them or the employees of the store, but if they were desperately trying to get needed supplies themselves... or am I just supposed to be smart enough to know you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't the former? >_<

@  wonko the sane? : (18 July 2018 - 07:59 AM)

Okay, what? I've had to explain why the TV wouldn't work when the power is out to children, but never to an adult in their right mind.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM)

*When I worked at the cable call center, some people wondered why their TV wouldn't work when there was an outage...

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM)

w

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM)

We had people still trying to shop while we were being pushed by state police to shut the store down due to flooding. The police finally had to help herd them out.

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:36 PM)

Or working for an airline and people complaining about not being able to take off in severe weather, and expecting us to know when the bad weather will end. *points at window*

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Outages/fire alarms are fun when you work retail and people complain that they can't keep shopping.

@  Echowarrior : (17 July 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Outages occasionally happened at the fulfillment center I used to work at. Never fun.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

Apparently the early shift (i.e. those who didn't participate in the walkout) were sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for power to return, while the late shift couldn't even enter the building.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 04:18 PM)

Oh, wow. I thought the news about the website outtage would have been the topper, but that pretty much wins.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM)

Whoopsie.

First the union called for a two-day strike yesterday, and then today the entire city where the Amazon warehouse I work at is located apparently had a power outage.

So,uh. Seems like Amazon's Prime Day really didn't go well this year.

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

It wasn't just blander and more polite bacon like I was expecting

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 July 2018 - 09:51 AM)

Canadian bacon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 09:15 AM)

And the even more important question is: is that ballpit deep enough to conceal a body... what?

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 05:35 AM)

THe more important question is if they have a ball pit

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 July 2018 - 10:18 PM)

How many attendees on average does TFcon get? And how about TFNation?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM)

I stopped reading it.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM)

If talking about it here is all it takes to get you, why hasn't the oreo thread killed you yet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. Of your stomach.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

Hey man, how you deal with yo problems is yo bidness.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 04:08 PM)

I did no such thing! I am innocent of the pop tart corruption!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 02:57 PM)

You guys made me buy cinnamon roll Pop Tarts today.

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM)

@D Immortalis Just fill the bag with air first and pop that? XP Oh, and you won't like that I grew up microwaving them more often than actually toasting. ;)

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:37 PM)

@MEDdMI Yeah, the even more artificial flavors like S'more are the ones that usually taste good cold. There exceptions... I think it was Sugar Cookie that needed to be toasted...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM)

And.. Amazon is borked.

@  Donocropolis : (16 July 2018 - 05:55 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw - Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered him and P/CP

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Repugnus up

@  Paladin : (15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM)

or add peanut butter.

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 07:33 PM)

Nuke them enough in the microwave....?

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 06:43 PM)

if po tarts dont POP then they become a lie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 05:10 PM)

I typically just went for the traditional flavours... I think mostly Rasberry or Strawberry. I'll have to pick up a box next time I'm out

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

@Otaku I've tried that too with a few of them. I liked the soda flavored ones they had. Too bad they were limited. :(

@  Otaku : (15 July 2018 - 03:48 PM)

@D Immortalis Most Pop-Tarts I like are better eaten frozen... and the only reason I started doing that is because Pop-Tarts commercials told me to try them that way. XD

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM)

woohoo, just got my tickets to see From Ashes To New and Hollywood Undead on the 26th!

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 10:07 AM)

oh wow Jazz has heel spurs.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 July 2018 - 06:32 AM)

That's basically what happened to me. I was on that aisle for completely other reasons, caught sight of them in my peripheral, and then... just couldn't stop thinking about them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Hungry for pop tarts now - haven't had those in years

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

anyone that doesnt put theit pop tarts in a toaster is a heretic.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

Do they still make the cinnamon-brown sugar ones?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM)

Yup. And?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 08:29 PM)

Aren't Pop Tarts like, totally junk for you by the definition of the word?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Four IS standard... but it's been so long I had forgotten.

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM)

Bah, wonko, I remember when 4 was STANDARD

@  Paladin : (14 July 2018 - 04:10 PM)

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status/1018234094310879234 people suck...

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 01:10 PM)

Me: opening a box of pop tarts. "Oh my god! There's FOUR in here?!?! Score!"

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Rook & Andromeda on Facebook

5784 replies to this topic

#41 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9037 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

If Sideways has an identity other than "Sideways, a dude from Planet X" I'm pretty sure my head will explode.

#42 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21857 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

well i mean the whole buisness and well look can we just get an outright statement every sideways is the same dude already

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#43 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1589 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

is sideways identity one of them?

please tell me it is

You can expect Vector Sigma to elaborate on that subject.

No, Sideways' identity is in the last Hot Shot's Bot Thoughts.

Excellent!

-JimS

#44 Gearshift

Gearshift

insanely here for buff ROM

• Citizen
  • 2274 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

Please don't be playing with my heart strings.

Falling in love with a B-lister character is tough. Falling in love with a very specific interpretation of an extremely polarising B-lister character who creators for the franchise are bound to mess with more and more and more as time goes by is outright terrifying because you never know whether he's going to be Tarantulas or Reverb or some other B-lister character who doesn't share the name, thereby Ruining Transformers Forever as any change whatsoever is bound to do.

I am prepared to go and translate any Complete Allspark Almanac content on the matter in order to be able to sleep at night.

Edited by Gearshift, 10 May 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#45 Walky

Walky

A bigger physique than a gorilla captain

• Citizen
  • 38527 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

I would remain calm.  My mantra is always "don't break anything."

I can't speak for Jim's mantra, though.  I think his is the opposite.

#46 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 15081 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

As I get older, I think I am more and more in favor of breaking things, because it undermines the entire unfounded, unsustainable illusion that Transformers can be made to all fit together in any kind of satisfying way, which just frees me up to enjoy the stuff I enjoy the way I should have been all along.

#47 Gearshift

Gearshift

• Citizen
  • 2274 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

I mostly agree with you. Nothing in Transformers should be sacred... but then I think of Sideways, and I wonder why we can't have nice things. Is it a test? Will Sideways not bring us to robo-heaven until everyone agrees he should have a single wikipage based on the most tenuous of evidence? Nobody knows.

#48 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 38527 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

To be more precise, I think in order to be able to break things you gotta earn it first.  Marty Isenberg or Bob Forward or James Roberts or Polygon Studios or Simon Furman or whoever can break whatever they want.  They're custodians of the franchise.  These are now established folks who wouldn't just be taking potshots at the multiverse from underneath, like pulling out a Jenga piece and running away giggling. Wrecking things from, say, Recordicons would feel like that.  

#49 Nickelfan

Nickelfan
  • Protoform
  • 25 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Wait, seriously? More Sideways in the Almanacs? I saw the game piece of him, but how do you "translate" it?

#50 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34303 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

I don't want anything to fit together. I want the character I like to remain unmolested.

That's not me being hyperbolic. I legitimately can't think of a better or non-klunky word to use there.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#51 Walky

Walky

• Citizen
  • 38527 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

i, too, have trouble describing aesthetic changes made to transformers characters in anything other than sexual abuse terminology

#52 Gearshift

Gearshift

• Citizen
  • 2274 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

"unchanged" would have worked. Because yikes.

Edited by Gearshift, 10 May 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#53 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1589 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

Please don't be playing with my heart strings.

Falling in love with a B-lister character is tough. Falling in love with a very specific interpretation of an extremely polarising B-lister character who creators for the franchise are bound to mess with more and more and more as time goes by is outright terrifying because you never know whether he's going to be Tarantulas or Reverb or some other B-lister character who doesn't share the name, thereby Ruining Transformers Forever as any change whatsoever is bound to do.

I am prepared to go and translate any Complete Allspark Almanac content on the matter in order to be able to sleep at night.

I am well aware that emotions run hot around this character and took that into consideration. I thought the entry on him was fun and cheeky and shouldn't ruin him for anyone. I hope. 

I would remain calm.  My mantra is always "don't break anything."

I can't speak for Jim's mantra, though.  I think his is the opposite.

I wouldn't say the opposite. I'd say I like to have fun writing it and hope people will have fun reading it and not take things too seriously. I admit I enjoy provoking a debate. I enjoy drawing connections that weren't there before. 

Wait, seriously? More Sideways in the Almanacs? I saw the game piece of him, but how do you "translate" it?

The very short version of this story is, back in the 90s I noticed that there was a secret language (two, in fact) in the Beast Wars cartoon. I translated it and was able to read hidden messages. So, fast forward ten years and I'm writing TF books of my own, so I thought it'd be neat to do the same thing from the other perspective. 95% of the alien computery fonts in the book are one of these two character sets: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cybertronix

-JimS

Edited by Jim S, 10 May 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#54 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34303 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

i, too, have trouble describing aesthetic changes made to transformers characters in anything other than sexual abuse terminology

um.

They use it in the context of "not being interfered with" in an episode of Gargoyles. That was what I was going for. :/

EDIT - urgh. Thinking on it, I really messed up. I realize what kind of thing this kind of jive can trigger in people and I just clumsily dropped it due to struggling with vocabulary. That doesn't make it right.

Just. Hrgh. Forget it.

Edited by Razorsaw, 10 May 2015 - 05:44 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#55 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9037 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

If you google "unmolested," Google's pre-links definition thingee gives you "not pestered or molested; left in peace" with "they allowed him to pass unmolested" as an example sentence, which is certainly the definition of the word that first comes to mind for me, not anything to do with sexual assault.

Edit: I mean, yes, obviously I am not everyone and even though my brain doesn't associate "unmolested" with the other definition of its root word, that doesn't mean other people wouldn't so yeah I probably shouldn't have jumped in there with my "it's a perfectly cromulent word" reaction. Sorry.

Edited by Kil, 10 May 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#56 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34303 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

I don't really want to make this a debate or derail this. I hugged up. let's move on.

#57 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9037 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Let's just make sure Sideways stays unTarantulas'd.

#58 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 15081 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

They use it in the context of "not being interfered with" in an episode of Gargoyles. That was what I was going for. :/

Every time I'm watching sports and someone is described as being "interfered with" I imagine them talking about someone being molested in a Victorian melodrama and I chuckle to myself. I'm pretty easily amused.

#59 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34303 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

can we please just move on

#60 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 15081 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Maybe after years of counseling.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users