Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 May 2019 - 03:51 PM)

I was intemately familiar with humour... but she just wanted to be friends...

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM)

BZT Time out! Time out! Time ooooooouuuuuut!!!

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 08:23 AM)

Yes. Are you familiar with humor?

@  Sabrblade : (17 May 2019 - 07:50 AM)

You are familiar with The Room, yes?

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 01:14 AM)

nah, tuxedos are formal wear

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 10:38 PM)

*...while dressed in a tuxedo*

Photo
- - - - -

Yo, it's the Dragon Ball thread! Z, Kai, Super, FighterZ, and anything else you wish to discuss

1589 replies to this topic

#41 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I admit the designs for the new Saiyan and Freeza forms don't do much for me. They literally look like the palette swap crap you'd see from a fan character. Super Saiyan God I was willing to give a break because it was that or the awful Super Saiyan Four, but 'It's Freeza but he gold now!'....seriously?

#42 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34984 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

and what is a super saiyan, then?

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#43 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#44 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

A Super Saiyan doesn't go completely gold, the hair stands on end and goes gold plus the eyes go turquoise.

Frieza's new form...you could get that if you just spray painted any toy of Freeza since the 90s. It would have been nice to have had something that suggested the body had ascended. This isn't G Gundam where 'gold hue, super mode' works because we're talking about robots.

#45 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

I admit the designs for the new Saiyan and Freeza forms don't do much for me. They literally look like the palette swap crap you'd see from a fan character. Super Saiyan God I was willing to give a break because it was that or the awful Super Saiyan Four, but 'It's Freeza but he gold now!'....seriously?

A wild Shiny FREEZA appeared!  What will Goku do?

Save for Vegeta, at least the first Super Saiyan forms had altered hairstyles.  They weren't just a lazy palette swap.

Edited by Sailor Unicron, 29 April 2015 - 02:58 PM.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

#46 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

A miserable little pile of secrets. And palette swaps.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#47 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Also I still prefer Super Sayian 4, becuase at least that is an actual form change and not just 'Oh, I'm going to dye my hair RED today to fight the villian!"

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#48 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

I'm mixed because on the one hand I think saying a true Super Saiyan needs to have the tail actually makes sense.

On the other hand, I think the SS4 design looks silly and GT never did anything that really sold it as what it was meant to be. I mean going into SS 2 simply powering up shook the entire planet. Super Saiyan 4 is one of the many times GT TELLS us this is beyond anything we've seen before but nothing about it really sells that as the case.

#49 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Let there be night, and damn the sun

• Supporter
  • 44014 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

There's basically no reason Goku doesn't break the planet rolling over in his sleep at this point. Trying to make sense out of power levels in this franchise is a fool's errand.

#50 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

I'm mixed because on the one hand I think saying a true Super Saiyan needs to have the tail actually makes sense.

On the other hand, I think the SS4 design looks silly and GT never did anything that really sold it as what it was meant to be. I mean going into SS 2 simply powering up shook the entire planet. Super Saiyan 4 is one of the many times GT TELLS us this is beyond anything we've seen before but nothing about it really sells that as the case.

That is the fault of GT, which is filled with faults, and not the actual form itself. There is, imo, nothing wrong with the design and as you say it makes sense. Its just like everything else in GT there was a lot of missteps. GT has some good and interesting ideas, like Trunks being the bored president of CC and looks for adventure. Plenty of fun that could be had there. Pan is a rather fun character, but as mentioned by others limited by the fact they decided she couldn't go Super Sayian. Not having Goten join as they could have really helped sell the threat of Bebi if a fused SS3 Gotenks couldn't deal with them. I think that's generally why the Omega Shenlong arc is the most memorable part of the series, becuase it felt like they were trying to really sell the threat of everything.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#51 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:38 PM

I dislike Pan because she's basically a brat. I don't expect her to stay as the little girl who loves her grandpa but in GT she's just the worst kind of teenage brat and when all that attitude isn't even backed up by being able to go at least Super Saiyan...

Likewise, I'm not the biggest fan of where they took Goten. I can kind of see why he might have turned out like that but the one note angle of him being a teenage playboy does nothing for me. Especially given how bland his character design was.

#52 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

I dislike Pan because she's basically a brat. I don't expect her to stay as the little girl who loves her grandpa but in GT she's just the worst kind of teenage brat and when all that attitude isn't even backed up by being able to go at least Super Saiyan...

Likewise, I'm not the biggest fan of where they took Goten. I can kind of see why he might have turned out like that but the one note angle of him being a teenage playboy does nothing for me. Especially given how bland his character design was.

Goten probably would have been less one-note if he'd actually been a main character in the series. I like Vegeta's idea "Our kids have gotten soft, so lets throw them into space on a dangerous adventure." It's totally in character for him and is fitting to the world and themes. It would/should have allowed Goten to grow out of the teenage playboy phase with him and Trunks basically having to both grow up more to protect Goku with his significantly decreased power level and Pan with her stupidly limited one when thing started to get serious on the machine planet. And Plus, I feel it would have added more weight to the reveal of SS4 when Goku finally recovers his power level after they get beaten merciliessly; as Gotenks was one of their strongest fighters and his absurd 'make shit up' fighting style meant he was unpredicable and dangerously so. So Gotenks getting owned would have really given a good reason to need an even stronger form to win. ...yes it would kinda mirror the Buu arc even more.. but it would have at least upped the drama as that arc lasted WAY too long and got really boring when it felt like they weren't using their full potential to tell the story.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#53 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7910 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

I wouldn't say that I liked feckless teen Gotenks, but I did like the idea that he'd be the most likely of the group to normalize, having lived most of his life in an era of peace.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#54 Varnon

Varnon

Counterpoint is a man's soul.

• Citizen
  • 10207 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

"A true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles."

I guess I would consider more DB material. Not sure I could maintain the same kind of interest as I could when I was a teenager. Might be a pass for me, but I'm still curious about the new material.

What signature?

#55 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34984 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

I prefer the color changes because... honestly, the physical transformations and spontaneous hair growth fits less with the fact that these are martial artists getting their strength through training and their own spiritual energy. The glowing hair and auras are about the limit of what I would accept from thhat; Frieza getting a color change instead of another transformation likewise shows that he's finally relying on self improvement and not on the fact that he was born a prodigy and his alien race's mysterious awesome powers, and that's finally training to improve himself for once in his life instead of riding on ego and meeting his adversaries on semi equal terms.

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#56 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

"A true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles."

"Y-you're just hugging with me! Super pooper scoopers are just legend!!"

#57 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

I wasn't much of a fan of the archetype when I was younger, but Pan's personality is one of my favorite things in my current watch of GT.

And it's not her fault she didn't go Super Saiyan.

You know, I think it's kind of weird we haven't seen any forms with extra arms yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go there at some point.

#58 Fishbug

Fishbug

Coming out of my can and I've been doing just fine

• Citizen
  • 11913 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

It's somewhat amusing that despite being the spotlight villain over and over again, we still don't know what the hell to call Frieza and his race.

And form 3 > everything else.

25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#59 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:12 PM

It's somewhat amusing that despite being the spotlight villain over and over again, we still don't know what the hell to call Frieza and his race.

And form 3 > everything else.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse called them both Frieza Race and Frost Demons, if the Dragon Ball Wiki is to be believed.

Personally, I prefer the latter to the former.

Edited by Sailor Unicron, 29 April 2015 - 09:20 PM.

God's not dead!

DA account

#60 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

I'd rather call them Frost Demons, then just 'Frieza Race' mihgt as well make the Sayian's 'Goku Race'  and humans 'Krillan Race'

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users