Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

@  Trpodeca : (11 June 2019 - 03:55 AM)

I just wish they'd release the Astro City paperback trades.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:31 AM)

As an open-minded heterosexual, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM)

Currently in the process of re-reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Big props for the issue featuring the "Dancing Master" and its portrayal of non-stereotypical gay characters.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 June 2019 - 05:25 AM)

Don't phone charges often contain special rapid charge circuitry, though? The voltage might be higher too, given the selfie stick probably has a very basic battery.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 11:28 PM)

Glad to be of assistance!

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 10:32 PM)

*checks selfie stick and phone charger* huh. perfect fit. thanks!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 09:58 PM)

I would use the USB-to-AC adapter that came with my iPhone, though I gather you must have a different brand of cell phone.

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

In that case a generic adapter is probably your best bet, then. Keep in mind a lot of hotels now have plain USB outlets in rooms too, though; but I guess that's not guaranteed

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 05:31 PM)

yeah, i just need something small to plug into the wall. im not sure im taking my laptop on my trip later this year and i want a way to charge my stuff

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM)

They also have wall outlets with built-in USB in addition to the two regular plugs; I installed those around my place so I have USB ports everywhere

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:02 PM)

You might be able to get a generic adapter to use with it at Radio Shack if you know the appropriate voltages or whatever

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:01 PM)

It came with a USB cable with no AC adapter? A lot of lower priced electronics do that, presumably assuming that USB is pretty ubiquitous

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Yeah, must be, I guess.

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:59 PM)

maybe having bluetooth has something to do with it?

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

the one i got has an on/off button, and came with a usb to attach to my laptop to charge it. its this one https://www.walmart....ility/432985497

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 04:51 PM)

Selfie sticks have power? I thought they were to just hold the phone away from you

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:44 PM)

need some technical help.how do i charge my selfie stick without using my laptop? is there some kind of portable charger? i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i dont know very much about this stuff

@  MEDdMI : (08 June 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Different songs or overdosing don't work for me. My brain can play multiple songs at once. Best to do something else to distract me.

@  Xellos : (08 June 2019 - 05:36 PM)

Still, the worst is having the last song I hear before going into work being stuck in my head all day.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Get a different song stuck in your head too. Let them battle for supremacy. Only the strong survive.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2019 - 03:53 PM)

Keep listening to it over and over until you got the lyrics memorized. By that point, it will start to fade out of your system.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I've discovered the easiest cure for having a song stuck in your head is overdosing to the point of fatigue.

@  Steevy Maximus : (08 June 2019 - 12:27 PM)

Jedi Fallen Order sure does look a LOT like a Souls style game with Star Wars flavoring

@  Kalidor : (07 June 2019 - 06:18 PM)

I have a hard time believing that you speaking at length and with great detail is something you wouldn't be good at. Glad you had fun.

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:51 PM)

Funny thing is I wasn't nervous at all. Might have helped that I was able to speak freely due to having assembled my speech from a lot of smaller segments I had previously told to my colleagues on the shopfloor, with a few punchlines added.

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:49 PM)

Allegedly I did well. Lots of applause, and was told I was leagues beyond the guy who spoke before me (though that wasn't difficult, that guy was dry as a river on Mars).

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:48 PM)

So I volunteered to hold a small speech at our strike assembly today (lots of Amazon employees, plus some people from IKEA, Smyths toys and some other local retailers).

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 June 2019 - 01:17 PM)

Today Dolly the Sheep and Super Salmon, tomorrow Neo Sapiens. We're through the looking glass people.

@  Kalidor : (07 June 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday @Pinkcolliebot

@  Pinkcolliebot : (07 June 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Today's My Birthday!!!

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 June 2019 - 03:16 AM)

Think how many copies of Optimus Prime's brain could fit on that.

Photo

Transformers Windblade #2 Preview & Review!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#1 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

Please see the front page article for this issue's gallery.

Mistakes and Mayhem

Written by: Mairghread Scott
Story by: Mairghread Scott & John Barber
Art by: Livio Ramondelli
Letters by: Tom B. Long
Editor: Carlos Guzman

I want to love this event. This should be everything I adore about Transformers in a nice tight action-packed story. Increasingly I feel that it's not. This is being marketed as a big blockbuster event, and I find myself mystified as to why.

The issue begins with Ironhide and Chromia on Caminus having a heart-to-heart in which they try to talk out Chromia's callous civilian murders. It's not gripping, it's not soul-searching, it's only explanatory by the barest of measures. Mostly it's boring, but it encourages Chromia to try to keep the bridge open (or at least undestroyed) later, before she tells Windblade she's sorry again. Everything about it is awkwardly forced and feels like Scott grudgingly wrote it out to try to shut up those who keep wondering why Chromia isn't in a cell. "There, I addressed it, now can we move on?"

This issue also features a Superion and Devastator brawl and a second fight where Defensor joins in, and it's fantastic. I think it is anyway. I've defended Ramondelli's art before; I honestly think he doesn't get enough credit for some of the stuff he's done. Unfortunately this is not some of that stuff. This fight is insane--it might actually have been mapped out by playing with the toys, as a lot of weird things that a kid might do (or at least wonder about) when playing with Combiners happens here. My favorite part is when a prone Superion turns his foot into a hand so he can punch Devastator in the back of the head. How cool is that?! Sadly the art is just... muddy. All the dark colors run together, there's a shower of sparks over half the details, and there's a yellow filter on everything just in case you could actually make it out. Then the fight moves to Cybertron and happens in a giant poorly-lit room so that when I want to be able to see even more of it I instead see even less.

I dearly want this to be the awesome event we all talk about for years. It deserves to be. It has the talent and it has the support. It's the sort of story that should be setting the bar, but instead I feel like it's just meandering through some paces to generate more pack-in comics.

Ultimately, that's the thought that bothers me. Are these issues going to be packed into the toys? I'm sorry to say this, but I really hope not. This story (as a whole or in parts) would not get me to pick up monthly Transformers comics, so they're not really succeeding at anything Combiner Wars has been advertised as.

Edited by Lukeblast, 21 April 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39861 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

"Fixit," huh?  First Aid is Fixit now?  I guess now he fits with his buddies not-Mainframe and not-Grotusque now.

#3 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9223 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

"Fixit," huh?  First Aid is Fixit now?  I guess now he fits with his buddies not-Mainframe and not-Grotusque now.

Who are still in THIS issue, I'll tell you now.

#4 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 1985 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

Damnit.

I'm not a TPB guy, but for Transformers I'm starting to feel like I should be. Things keep getting "fixed in the trade": spelling errors, misdirected speech bubbles, the Flywheels / Necrobot thing, Minimus and the list of 0.1%ers, and now very likely the not-Protectobots over SEVERAL issues. Monthly issues are feeling more and more like "Beta" releases, rushed out the door before the final product "patch" of the TPBs.

#5 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16959 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

With both Dark Cybertron and now Combiner Wars it feels like the worst books IDW makes, at least art-wise is what's getting given to kids as free samples. That makes me so sad.

It hurts both this toyline and the prospect of the kids getting into comics in general, and as those are both things I love it makes me sad and pisses me off at the same time.

-ZacWilliam, nice simple open clean art and fun exciting, new-reader friendly stories are what the pack in comics should be aiming for and they are botching that so bad it hurts.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 21 April 2015 - 03:10 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#6 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51676 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

Indeed.

If my only exposure to IDW Comics was *this*, I can't say I'd be much enthused.

card-strongarm.jpg

#7 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22760 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

The fact that it's those two characters specifically just makes me think it was a script error.

And they're just there for like two panels with them last issue.

Really nothing to be deserving called "The worst IDW Transformers content", of which I could certainly think of a lot more than these crossovers.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#8 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16959 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

The worst TF books they're producing "at the moment" I'd argue.

-ZacWilliam, from an art and accessibility standard at least imo.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#9 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9223 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

I have to assume that, despite being produced ahead of time, there was SOME kind of rush involved in putting these together. There's another dumb thing going on in the background of this issue that *screams* "this was edited in after the fact", but we can talk about it tomorrow after it's out and you can see for yourselves...

#10 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2641 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Livio was asked about this on the IDW forums, and he said that those were the references he was given for Streetwise and Blades. 

http://boards.idwpub...21877&start=150

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...yeah.

#11 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

It's always bothersome to me when artists admit to not doing basic research. I understand that reference material is as much a time-saver as a style guide, but I've seen more than a few references that were wrong and would at least pull a Google image on the characters (and/or compare them to the upcoming toy that is the point of the thing) and question it if things didn't make sense.

Anyway... like Chris, there's a few things I want to bitch about mention, but I'll wait until everyone's had a chance. That I basically panned the entire saga while looking at the most action-packed installment of it so far should probably say something about how this is shaping up.

Also, I don't know how many people care whether I do Favorite Lines, but I enjoy it. There isn't one here. That was not an oversight.

#12 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51676 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

So a problem with poor editorial oversight becomes...a problem with poor editorial oversight.

Edited by MrBlud, 21 April 2015 - 06:41 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#13 EndOfEarth

EndOfEarth

Bleeehhhhhhhhhh

• Protoform
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

Maybe First Aid was looking for a new start...? After all, he did have that dark business with killing Pharma and have Ambulon ripped in half right in front of him. Unless I'm missing something because I'm not necessarily interested in the Windblade comics and I've been behind with other things for a while now. Or maybe the artists couldn't tell the difference between Fixit from Robots in Disguise (COMICS, not show, I swear he was in the comics) and First Aid. The world may never know.

#14 EndOfEarth

EndOfEarth

Bleeehhhhhhhhhh

• Protoform
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

Can't forget: First Aid also saw Trailcutter die in issue #34, which he mainly blames himself for. Ouch.

#15 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39861 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:46 AM

Man, I hope one of these issues comes with Streetwise or Blades.  That would be hilarious.  

Almost as hilarious as being super excited about the Protectobots and then having two of them being drawn as random other guys and another being misnamed.  

#16 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9522 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:32 AM

Man, I hope one of these issues comes with Streetwise or Blades.  That would be hilarious.  

Almost as hilarious as being super excited about the Protectobots and then having two of them being drawn as random other guys and another being misnamed.  

Alas, no. Parts 2 to 5 of Combiner Wars will be packed in with the Eightyfourtobots.

#17 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:32 AM

I feel like Prowl was left holding the idiot ball this week. All he accomplished was wrecking the Constructicons and outing himself as an unreasonable nutbar to everyone on two planets. I wonder if that's Devastator's influence?

At any rate this was pretty average, let down as usual by terrible art. As expected of Combiner Wars.

PM me if you're bored!

#18 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:39 AM

I wouldn't call it an idiot ball, as Prowl coming off like a raving loon seems to have been the intent. He clearly became unhinged during his time as part of Devastator, but all his friends refused to see just how bad it was until he did something they couldn't ignore. It's like every "he's basically a nice guy" reaction from friends/family/neighbors/co-workers to a tragedy. Of course there were warning signs.

That's why Prime is basically useless during the battle, he's in a bit of "I didn't know he was this far gone" shock.

#19 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9223 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

tumblr_nn7l7z6NI71tl89jlo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nn7l7z6NI71tl89jlo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nn7l7z6NI71tl89jlo3_1280.jpg

#20 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9616 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

I feel like Prowl was left holding the idiot ball this week. All he accomplished was wrecking the Constructicons and outing himself as an unreasonable nutbar to everyone on two planets. I wonder if that's Devastator's influence?

There's no "idiot ball" here, Prowl slowly losing himself to Devasatator and/or the remnants of Scrapper's mind that are still present therein has been an on-going part of his storyline for a while now.