Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Yeah I think at that point Lost Light is just the '86 movie without the soundtrack.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 September 2020 - 02:28 AM)

So, exctly what Triangleman just said.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 12:36 AM)

A few of the same characters.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 12:07 AM)

Now having actually read Galaxies #10, I don't actually see what it has in common with Lost Light at all besides featuring Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, and a spaceship.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 05:33 PM)

So, it's exactly like Lost Light, then.

@  Bass X0 : (16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM)

What if Lost Light was stripped bare of its charm and humor? Galaxies #10 is the answer.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 01:49 PM)

I didn't mean "*exactly* 15 years ago and no other time."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 September 2020 - 12:27 AM)

I mean, the comment was about a linewide gimmick of 15 years ago, not a gimmick only present in a minority of toys from that year.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:14 AM)

I'd like a western take on the UT for it's twentieth, like a annual CG or anime movie on Netflix that is a condensed retelling similar to the film Macross/Robotech: Do You Remember Love.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:11 AM)

Giant Planet had them, Energon had a few. I've been disappointed in Siege for not having something for the Micromasters, Earthrise has with the base bots but they've been wasted here.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 September 2020 - 10:47 PM)

Wasn't 15 years ago Cyber Keys rather than Minicons?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 September 2020 - 09:38 PM)

By and large, even the worst Minicons have some unique engineering or design elements. The nostalgia factor aside, Micromasters got pretty samey after you got several, especially the "proper" 89 series.

@  unluckiness : (15 September 2020 - 07:13 PM)

There's certainly a load of crummy ones to sift through

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2020 - 05:29 PM)

Or both. There's some overlap.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 September 2020 - 03:19 PM)

People either hated minicons or became completely addicted to them.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 September 2020 - 03:17 PM)

A properly-planned theme, or as people called it 15 years ago, a stupid linewide baby toy gimmick that ruins the toys.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Another Squirrely Sidequest

Ask Thread AMA Copper Bezel

6722 replies to this topic

#1821 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14648 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

Same. 

#1822 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

Attached File  coppers_thread.png   169.27KB   0 downloads

#1823 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36123 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

Tomorrow I have to submit the summary of my experience with Linux. My thoughts, aside from the persistence file issues that really had nothing to do with Linux, were basically "It wasn't that different from Windows, I didn't hate it, and using something open source was pretty cool."

But, completely apart from this assignment, what reasons would you give me for trying a permanent install? What things would I be able to do on Ubuntu that I wouldn't be able to do on Windows? Are there any things on Windows I wouldn't be able to do on Ubuntu? Do you think that not having experience with the current Windows OS has been a detriment to you in any way?

Edited by Patchouli Knowledge, 07 February 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#1824 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

Glad it went mostly - well, I wouldn't say smoothly, but there weren't a lot of ridiculous hangups in there, USB write speeds aside. 

Let's see....

Things you can do with Windows that you can't do with Linux: There's quite a lot, really, in terms of enduser applications. It's the fifth platform any commercial software project needs to think about targeting (Windows, then iOS, then Android, then OSX, then desktop Linux). Most open source software projects will target Linux, and there are a few commercial entities (Valve, Google, IBM) that have reasons to, too, but generally any non-system application available on Linux is going to be available on Windows and probably Mac. The more something operates as a vertically integrated service, the less chance there is of seeing it on Linux, so Netflix has only been available very recently, for instance. No chance on MS Office and the Adobe suite. 

Things you could do on Ubuntu, less so with Windows? Not a lot in terms of enduser apps or services. There are things that cater to Linux or feel more native there. If you're nerding around in Python, for instance, the system will feel like it's built for you. Lots of little utilities that come built in that require installing some random app off the internet you'll use once on Windows, as well. 

A lot of the appeal is that it's a modular system. There aren't hardcoded default applications for things, and if you don't like the desktop environment, you can replace it; if you want to use a different filesystem or disk encryption method or whatnot, you can swap those things in. System software also tends to just be written with a lot more configurability. When they exist, device drivers are easier. 

There's a lot of very good stuff that's come in in the last couple iterations of Windows. I mean, I started using Ubuntu during Vista, and a lot of things have improved in Windows since then. Device drivers are reasonably predictable, enduser apps rarely use kernel-level hacks that can break the system when you push the wrong button, swap is handled sensibly, and the desktop environment even has a dock, search and launch, and virtual desktops. = ] There's a security architecture there; the default browser isn't even a built-in function of the OS providing a pipeline between flash apps and the kernel anymore, and installed applications can't modify each other arbitrarily. And there's even a trusted software repository so you don't go off running random .exe files you found on the internet. The way application installation and configuration are handled in 10 hints that Microsoft is less prone to let developers hack the system any which way in the way they largely were back in the XP days. I don't trust it in quite the same way as OSX or Linux, where some of those standards are more properly built in, but it's getting there. 

So Windows is recently looking a lot like a seriously modern OS in the way OSX and the various Linuxes are, which wasn't true five years ago; it's more or less completely caught up from its decade of slump. OSX still seems to be ahead of both Windows and Linux in a lot of respects - the capabilities or permissions system used for "store" applications in OSX is better than UAC. Linux is very good at protecting the system from buggy or malicious applications, but there's room to grow, there; there also isn't an implementation of "suspending" applications like you get in modern Windows and OSX. Ubuntu specifically is implementing something referred to as "confinement" that could potentially be the next iteration both of permissions and process handling that I'm really looking forward to seeing, but while it's in use on the phone blend, it hasn't hit the desktop yet. 

If you're setting up a kiosk or a server, or a computer lab full of thin clients, those are all much easier to do with Linux. The Linux userspace minus the desktop environment is also still the environment that you're primarily writing web and cloud applications to run inside, so for a developer, it makes sense to be pretty familiar with that environment. So the biggest argument for using Linux on a home machine is really still the fact that it's the operating system you're going to run into everywhere else, and usually the best choice for these other use cases.

I don't think I'm missing out on anything in particular not using Windows 10, no, beyond the fact that I'd really like to be more familiar with it, since it's still the most common operating system and environment most people are using for home systems and have computer questions about. Realistically, I don't do a lot that I can't do with Android, and the graphics software I use runs just as easily on Windows. Anything to do with enduser usability can change pretty quickly - there's a transition going on right now in application packaging and one in how Linux display servers are handled, the latter of which means desktop shells getting very nearly rewritten from the ground up, and both of which are going to change quite a lot of how these systems look and work; Windows has had some similar changes since 7. Which one falls on a comfier solution doesn't really have much to do with which is whom. Very real possibility I'm going to have to finally let go of middle click paste. 

a37.png

I don't like the vertical integration in Windows - there's still an extent to which Microsoft has a lot of power to decide what works on their platform and how. I don't like that there are system features I absolutely can't turn off or replace, or the general lack of transparency. With Linux, you have a lot of loose coalitions and partnerships between all the little projects providing this or that component, and if there's a feature enough users don't like, someone can just fork that package in a version that ships without it. You don't end up with these weird little hacky single-use-case apps to work around this or that problem with a particular piece of software, which seem to become a necessity with every piece of proprietary software I encounter. That's open source in general, really, but it's definitely a difference between using Linux and using Windows. 

For your case, in general, though ... obviously, it doesn't lose you anything to make an install for a dual boot system to play around with. I keep breaking my Windows installs, or I'd generally have one around, too, just in case.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 08 February 2016 - 12:00 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1825 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

So, I killed my laptop like two weeks ago, and I had my old Eee, but had previously removed the wireless card for reasons, and had to get a USB micro WiFi adapter, which turned out to be a longer-term problem than would be immediately apparent, but I am apparently unreliably quasi-mobile now, so that's good. = ]

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1826 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

well like the song says,

it's the pelvic thrusts that drive you insane

...so quasi-mobile should be fine ;)

#1827 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

look at this beautiful thing

loook

#1828 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18806 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

That's... that's legit sexy.

If I ever get a new tablet, that will be at the top of the list.

nzo8WYb.png

#1829 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

o_O Its not my kinda sexy.

#1830 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

your loss

#1831 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23083 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

Slightly disappointed it partsformed into tent mode. =v

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#1832 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:54 PM

give me a tree and a real book anyday

#1833 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

watched the video .. she lost me when she reintroduced the product just because she changed camera angles ... I'm not that Stupid ... lol 1:56 ..not even 2 minutes

Edited by Destron D-69, 11 February 2016 - 11:58 PM.

#1834 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23083 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

I dunno, the reviewer seemed pleasant enough. And tablets are a thing that video reviews probably work pretty well for.

I like the barrel hinges on the one end. It's like a super-techno spiral-notebook, and that's pretty charming. Probably makes a nice handle too.

Edited by Cabooceratops, 12 February 2016 - 12:00 AM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#1835 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:09 AM

of I'm sure the thing itself works fine, and yeah she seems moderately enthusiastic about it... it's just nothing I need to spend like $899.99 on and then another 300 for the keyboard just to make the hinge not-useless 

#1836 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

Well, I wouldn't see a percentage in buying it without the keyboard, no. The barrel is handy either way, but.

Slightly disappointed it partsformed into tent mode. =v

Along with the Yoga line, there's a certain sense of the world's least interesting Lego set going on there, and I do wonder how often the "tent" configurations actually see use. It's very much the gerwalk mode of convertible tablets: the parts are technically there in a way such that you could also do this, I guess, if you ... for some reason.

Putting the keyboard on backwards does look useful as a way of at least offering an option of where to put the keyboard when you're not using it right this second, but don't have anywhere convenient to stuff it right this second either.

Similarly, opening it up that way (whether the barrel is being the top or the bottom) is a decent kickstand, and the balance would be better than it is the other way around, which is handy for touch interaction. So basically, it's the idea that the keyboard can take the place of a $10 stand when you're not using it as a $150 keyboard - not exactly groundbreaking, but a good last 10%.

The difference between the "tent" and "stand" configurations is that the former is actually more practical despite the latter being not-ridiculous and actually how the thing is designed, since as a stand it's still actually resting on its little feet. Technically, the stand also allows you to adjust the angle without picking the tablet up ... but as stiff as that joint has to be to make touch interaction practical, this is not as significant a distinction as one might hope.

If I were marketing a $700 Android netbook, I don't think I'd feel compelled to include awkward lifehacks from Mom as call-out features, but here we are.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 February 2016 - 12:17 AM.

#1837 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63377 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

that must be in the rest of the video XD

#1838 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

It's certainly a very thorough review. =.

#1839 Logicron

Logicron

The Crab Out Of Space

• Citizen
  • 35554 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

I can't get into tablets because I think it's more convenient to have an actual keyboard.

#1840 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51831 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

uhhhh

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ask Thread, AMA, Copper Bezel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users