Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Yeah I think at that point Lost Light is just the '86 movie without the soundtrack.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 September 2020 - 02:28 AM)

So, exctly what Triangleman just said.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 12:36 AM)

A few of the same characters.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 12:07 AM)

Now having actually read Galaxies #10, I don't actually see what it has in common with Lost Light at all besides featuring Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, and a spaceship.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 05:33 PM)

So, it's exactly like Lost Light, then.

@  Bass X0 : (16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM)

What if Lost Light was stripped bare of its charm and humor? Galaxies #10 is the answer.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 01:49 PM)

I didn't mean "*exactly* 15 years ago and no other time."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 September 2020 - 12:27 AM)

I mean, the comment was about a linewide gimmick of 15 years ago, not a gimmick only present in a minority of toys from that year.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:14 AM)

I'd like a western take on the UT for it's twentieth, like a annual CG or anime movie on Netflix that is a condensed retelling similar to the film Macross/Robotech: Do You Remember Love.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:11 AM)

Giant Planet had them, Energon had a few. I've been disappointed in Siege for not having something for the Micromasters, Earthrise has with the base bots but they've been wasted here.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 September 2020 - 10:47 PM)

Wasn't 15 years ago Cyber Keys rather than Minicons?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 September 2020 - 09:38 PM)

By and large, even the worst Minicons have some unique engineering or design elements. The nostalgia factor aside, Micromasters got pretty samey after you got several, especially the "proper" 89 series.

@  unluckiness : (15 September 2020 - 07:13 PM)

There's certainly a load of crummy ones to sift through

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2020 - 05:29 PM)

Or both. There's some overlap.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 September 2020 - 03:19 PM)

People either hated minicons or became completely addicted to them.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Another Squirrely Sidequest

Ask Thread AMA Copper Bezel

6722 replies to this topic

#1261 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51834 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

I'm reading Sessions' other article on Taylor's "A Secular Age," and I think I'd really just have to go read that book, and possibly others of Taylor's, to formulate a meaningful response. They're using almost as many pet definitions for common words as I tend to. 

so that could mean it hasn't happened yet Copper, could you be slightly more specific ?

lol or are you just basing that statement on the established time scale.

Jesus of Nazareth was a person who existed, who was by definition not any anticipated Messiah, but who is traditionally referred to as the Christ. I have enough respect (or more probably affectation) to use the title, if not enough to use the BC / AD markers, though I slip sometimes and use AD but not BC, which is conceptually very strange. I think my accepting the term is also in part because I really do (now) think of secular humanism as a breed of Christianity - not just in the sense that the term originated there, but in the sense that the cultural practice and values fall within the range of variation, and the significant differences are intellectual ones. 

Is it the shift from a cosmology where the gods were aspects of nature to a hierarchical theology where the gods are used to dictate behaviour and morality?

Yeah. That, and the portability of religion as an isolated entity separate from broad cultural practice. The shift from "magic" to "holy law" doesn't by itself make religion portable and an intellectual rather than a wholly embedded cultural entity yet, but it's definitely a necessary step in the loss of innocence there. Christianity and Islam, which proved to be just fantastically portable (= P), came from the common stock of Judaism, which as of the sixth century BCE was all-law, all-the-time and "closed" in the sense that it was monotheistic and resisted syncretism, intending to explain all "supernatural" phenomena and discard other beliefs as deceptions, not just rival entities.

I think as soon as something is portable and can be isolated from cultural and ethnic identity, that's where it has to move to a shared substrate of evidence, base itself on principles that can be "proven" and sold to converts.

The Greeks were playing with materialism and natural philosophy, at the latest, fifty years after Judaism codified monotheism, long before Christianity and portability. Materialism was a part of the diverse cultural environment into which Christianity presented itself in the Roman Empire at its inception. It's not a naive set of supernatural experiences that existed in isolation before all those nasty secularists invented pluralism and materialism. Apologetics and evidence claims are part of its DNA. 

At the same time, I think Sessions is trying to group all religion and supernatural experience into the same bucket as Christianity, despite these relatively unique features, and that also doesn't work for me. If you don't assume that every time his article mentions religion, he really means Christianity, it makes no sense. Alternately, assume he means Shinto and see what happens. = /

Edited by Copper Bezel, 04 November 2015 - 03:17 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1262 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63381 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Santa's a real guy too ... he was in that movie with Ernest

#1263 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51834 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

If you want to claim that Jesus did not exist, there are quite a lot of historical figures that fail the same cut. There's significantly less evidence for Socrates, for instance.

Leave the selective reading of history to the theists. If it helps, Abraham didn't exist and Moses probably didn't. But I don't think anyone ever outside of a tin foil hat has ever claimed that Muhammad didn't, yet we are not all Muslims. 

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1264 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

That's always been my interpretation. "That Jesus guy, nice fella - shame about the religion they started in his name."

Or something to that extent. 

#1265 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

I think Christianity (fundamentalist in particular) enjoys more social power in the USA because America has only experienced one belief takeover in its history (Christianity pushing aside the faiths of the Natives - anything further back is not well recorded, although I wonder what happened to the mound builders).

The UK on the other hand (like most of Europe) has housed several faiths and has the monuments to prove it. Christianity is the latest in a long line that includes the tribal beliefs of the Celts & Britons, Roman paganism, early Christianity, the Viking pantheon, and various upheavals and reformations of the church. If somebody tries to tell you it's the one true faith or that the world was created 5000 years ago all you need to do is show them a Roman Villa, Stonehenge, or the religious site at Flag Fen to show them a world before their god arrived on these shores. 

That I think is why most of our vicars are less brash, able to function in a secular society, and not taken very seriously, while American preachers have enough power to keep creationism in Science lessons.

Edited by Shenanigans, 04 November 2015 - 05:01 PM.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#1266 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63381 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

<_< guess you really can't disprove a negative.

oh well you guys can keep the faith I guess.

Frodo Lives.

#1267 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

No one's keeping the faith, Destron. We're acknowledging there's historical evidence of a man who came to be known as Jesus - no one's asserting he was a miracle worker.

#1268 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63381 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

not yet... but it starts somewhere lol

I just rip the weeds out at the root

#1269 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

"Jesus" is probably a composite character of various preacher types of the time. 

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#1270 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51834 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

Destron, you're being an actual idiot.

I think Christianity (fundamentalist in particular) enjoys more social power in the USA because America has only experienced one belief takeover in its history (Christianity pushing aside the faiths of the Natives - anything further back is not well recorded, although I wonder what happened to the mound builders).

The UK on the other hand (like most of Europe) has housed several faiths and has the monuments to prove it. Christianity is the latest in a long line that includes the tribal beliefs of the Celts & Britons, Roman paganism, early Christianity, the Viking pantheon, and various upheavals and reformations of the church. If somebody tries to tell you it's the one true faith or that the world was created 5000 years ago all you need to do is show them a Roman Villa, Stonehenge, or the religious site at Flag Fen to show them a world before their god arrived on these shores. 

That I think is why most of our vicars are less brash, able to function in a secular society, and not taken very seriously, while American preachers have enough power to keep creationism in Science lessons.

It's certainly possible, yeah. I'm not sure how much I'd even count the displacement of the Native Americans. We came in with a fully formed civilization and religious practice and wiped them out, culturally assimilated nothing more than a few place names, and mostly don't have any biological relation to them. They didn't have or leave the kind of monumental architecture and things that even your Beaker Peeples did, never mind the Romans. Our foundation myths are also unavoidably couched in religious terms, and were at the actual time they were written down, which is when they happened. So yeah, we have a - kinda different, kinda naive relationship to history from the get-go. 

But I don't think it would have worked with another religion, either. You really can't have fundamentalism without holy texts, for instance, or without a dogma of exclusiveness. 

"Jesus" is probably a composite character of various preacher types of the time. 

Ecch - no, we have writings from them, too, and they were different people. I mean, the teachings of Jesus are definitely composite, thanks to his followers. But there were other apocalyptic prophets in Judaism at the time and Jesus as a historical figure isn't a composite of them. Whether what's attributed to him in the canonical New Testament is, that's a lot more arguable. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 04 November 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#1271 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

That's certainly a possibility, aren't most historical accounts of Jesus ones that refer to him as 'the christ' - it may have been a popular title used by various preachers trying to get their message out, that became a narrative of a single life.

#1272 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63381 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

easy there you two... don't come over here to the actual idiot side of the fence

#1273 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

Doesn't bother me any, at either rate. The existence or non-existence of a historical Jesus means exactly 0 to my personal beliefs and philosophies. I find it fascinating but nothing further.

#1274 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51834 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, obviously.

But no, non-Christian sources wouldn't have used that title, and there are enough Christian sources writing very divergent histories of his life very unambiguously about him and the same set of followers to fill several lives. I mean, the four canonical Gospels are completely incompatible accounts to begin with. I think the easiest super-skeptical approach would be to say that he was a single person whom we know nothing about because all of the accounts of his life were whole-cloth fiction. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 04 November 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#1275 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the four gospels were actually written quite a few years after Jesus was meant to have lived. I used to have a bible that actually showed the writing periods of various books of the bible, and I'm very certain quite a few were written a good number of years after the fact.

#1276 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51834 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yes, the earliest is Mark at 30-40 years after his death. The few letters of Paul actually written by Paul predate it, though. 

Edit: One point of clarification - "Mark" is a made-up name, randomly assigned from the Apostles, and the text is anonymous. "Paul" is definitely the person who wrote seven of the letters of Paul, because they were written by the same person, and that person also called himself "Paul" in them, but the name doesn't have any historical significance beyond that.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 04 November 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#1277 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I thought so. 

#1278 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51834 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Yeah, like I'd said, there's not a lot of reason to attribute anything in the Gospels to the actual historical figure of Jesus. None of the people who were "there" could write, and he would have been a figure in living memory at the time of writing, but just barely. The people who contributed to the orally-transmitted accounts and the people writing them down were also not in any way disinterested witnesses. Jesus as a historical warm body existed, and the character in Mark or Luke or whatnot is effectively not that person. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 04 November 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#1279 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63381 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

meh.

if it looks like a duck... but we can agree to disagree on the crazy math that adds a bunch of fake stuff to equal real dude. 

I mean who wouldn't want to agree to disagree with an actual idiot

Attached File  c28.png   6.91KB   0 downloads

#1280 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

Well I think that's why I'm saying it is possible for it to be a collection of narratives. There's a lot of reasons to create the the idea of Jesus as a single individual in a fledgling religion from the travels/teachings of more than one person. After the fact the stories/disciples are easier to line up, even if you still end up with the discrepancies you noted.

Edited by Ms Virion, 04 November 2015 - 06:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ask Thread, AMA, Copper Bezel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users