Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Another Squirrely Sidequest

Ask Thread AMA Copper Bezel

6722 replies to this topic

#1141 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18820 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

I wish I wasn't on my phone... That whole tale reminds me of a story Douglas Adams told about spending months writing a program to save him a few minutes a day on one hyper specific task XD

nzo8WYb.png

#1142 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63387 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

I'm just going to wait until I need to buy a new cheap pc from walmart ... it'll likely have windows 10

#1143 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Come to think of it, my laptop has been starting up rather quickly ever since I installed Windows 10. So I actually don't have much need to improve there. And I did poke around and figure out how to disable programs that run on startup. Decided to turn off iTunesHelper.exe because even though I found it useful, it won't be doing much for me until I have a functioning iPod again...

Mine actually got a bit slower after the 10 upgrade, I think, though I was already regretting how much longer it was taking to boot up. I specifically remember showing off that it could go from being asleep to having loaded Skyrim and in-game within a minute. That was fun, I want it back...

I wish I wasn't on my phone... That whole tale reminds me of a story Douglas Adams told about spending months writing a program to save him a few minutes a day on one hyper specific task XD

So, at the moment I've spent 8 hours (I think) to regain about 3 minutes on boot and not much on sleep. However, I tend to restart my computer every couple days, and wake it from sleep at least five times. The maximum success value saves me 5 minutes on boot and 1 on wake, averaging 7.5 minutes per day. The effort I've already put in would be paid off in about 2 months, and it would be markedly easier if I ever need to do this again.

I'm just going to wait until I need to buy a new cheap pc from walmart ... it'll likely have windows 10

Aw, but cheap PCs are the worst. They take forever to do nothing. Expensive or bust!

Edited by Caraise Link, 19 October 2015 - 02:21 PM.

Tired of this forum shitting on me.

#1144 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Turn your back on fate and write your own story

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

I disabled most of my startup crap so it only takes about two minutes. And I might just uninstall Curse Client, since I only had it for managing WoW add-ons, and I haven't been on WoW in about eight months anyway...

#1145 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36133 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:54 PM

What I really need is a way to improve my body's startup time. Performance has improved since removing the faulty hardware component, but the system is still sluggish and productivity levels are way under target.

#1146 OrionPax44

OrionPax44

Old an falling apart

• Supporter
  • 8166 posts
  • Location:Enjoying a fever dream, wondering where it's gonna lead
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

What I really need is a way to improve my body's startup time. Performance has improved since removing the faulty hardware component, but the system is still sluggish and productivity levels are way under target.

I think you need to have the doctor prescribe a heavier dose of 1,3,7-trimethylpurine-2,6-dione in the morning.

5473617b-d2fa-4bcd-8a25-8a0dd778f111_zps

I reject your reality and substitute my own

#1147 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Turn your back on fate and write your own story

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

I just wish I could get my body to shut down when I tell it to. Stupid sleep setting doesn't work right.

#1148 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51860 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

So a little bit ago I decided I was utterly fed up with waiting 5+ minutes for my computer to boot up, then proceeded to coldly evaluate every startup process and go crazy axe murder on any that did not meet my expectations. Many did not make it.

So that was good, I got about a minute back, but it still wasn't really enough. The taskbar still hung for a couple minutes after the desktop itself finished loading, which meant I couldn't load any apps even if the computer was up and awake. I decided this meant I needed a new taskbar that wasn't integrated into Explorer, and so I hunted down a dock app, configured a crapload of stuff, and now I don't have a Windows taskbar anymore. This unfortunately meant that Windows' app launcher is disabled even if I load up the Start screen, so I had to go grab a new one of those, too.

This was good, but still not the best. Given that the taskbar is part of Windows Explorer, Explorer would be hanging for just as long as the taskbar was. One of the first things I typically do when booting up my computer is load a folder for something, so this wasn't really acceptable. Naturally, I needed a new file manager as well. I tried and promptly deleted several useless, cluttery ones before finding a functional cluttery one with so many personalization options that, half an hour later, it's not cluttery anymore.

Unfortunately, all this only gained me another minute back, because now my dock is a user-installed startup app, which means it's loaded with the other user-installed startup apps, which means it actually loads up after the taskbar. (Yes. Windows loads up the taskbar first, it's there, and then it runs away once Nexus Dock loads up. At least they don't try to terminate each other anymore.)

I seem to be a bit limited in how much earlier I can actually make it load, but it occurred to me that the aforementioned other user-installed startup apps were actually taking a fair bit of time to load. Were Nexus to actually load first, this would be less of an issue. So I poked around and eventually found an app that allowed me to control the startup order, meaning that Nexus loads up alongside the other core features like anti-malware, HDD protection, etc. Another minute or so gained.

At this point I've spent about six hours getting three minutes of startup time back. Not actually done yet; the startup itself is still horrendously slow in ways it didn't use to be, so I'll probably have to learn how to clean my registry.

...But that actually ended up being a secondary consideration compared to having accidentally replaced basically all of Windows' normal UI. I'd thought about getting a different explorer before, but I hadn't realized I could replace the taskbar, and that was kind of the point on which all else hinged. My first impressions is that when this stops being weird in a week or two, it's going to be a lot faster and less of a hassle than the default stuff. Really wish I'd done this a while ago, I feel hopelessly naive now.

It actually sounds a bit like times I've experimented with XFCE and some other lightweight desktops - which I haven't really done much of since Ubuntu switched to Unity and started having a cohesive UX. I usually end up feeling like I'm saving steps for my computer and adding steps for myself, which isn't really the direction I'd like to be moving in. Even when the system is modular and you can replace parts, it's going to require little workarounds and generate some annoyances and extra steps. So I've mostly stuck with the Unity interface despite some quirks (and the disadvantages that come with having the dock and window manager drawn by the same process, though I don't know of any system other than Windows where that means that this part over here will be nonresponsive until you respond to that one over there.) 

On Windows, I definitely wouldn't want to use the built-in fm, media player, or browser, for really obvious reasons, even if there weren't obviously superior alternatives to at least two of those, and I hate that even the control panel is needlessly rendered through the fm. I've never really experimented much with the lightweight replacement shells and things, though, probably because I've never really had to, like, use it. 

I don't really turn my computers off and on a lot, and system updates not on Windows don't require restarts in quite the same way, so I don't think a lot about boot times. I do hate that stage where the desktop has apparently loaded but isn't quite ready to actually do anything yet (again essentially unique to Windows.) But I've fussed with things to improve boot times or UI responsiveness on the software end in the past (like trying XFCE, for instance) and had some improvement, but it's always trivial in comparison to hardware changes. The biggest thing for boot times and UI responsiveness specifically is, of course, the thing that every Android device already has, just using flash memory instead of magnetic. Boot time on Rae-Rae cut to about a third and the fifteen second wait for the search and launch to populate the first time I invoked it (my very least favorite thing in Unity) flat disappeared when I switched to an SSD. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1149 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63387 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

honestly I think i've come out ahead of the game being on my 2nd cheap generic off the shelf model pc in the last 10 years then I would be if I got a really top of the line one 10 years ago that still worked.

<_< at least the internet works on this one

#1150 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Eh, it really isn't that bad. Nexus Dock, Launchy and Free Commander honestly play well enough together to feel like a set, and they add up to mostly the same idea Windows was going for, just better. Like, Launchy is instant rather than taking a few seconds to go through Cortana, the dock takes a moment to un-hide but frees up my entire screen* to actually use, and none of them randomly hang every other time I try to use them. Plus it'd take a few minutes, but I could even get them all matching skins.

I'd love it if I didn't have to exert so much effort setting up, though, so I've defininitely acquired a proper envy of Ubuntu's UI now. And of it not wanting to be rebooted so much. SSD envy was of course already present, but getting enough of it to actually have games with (noting that a typical AAA game is ~5 GB) is just not a practical expense. Which is to say that I'd be switching to Ubuntu right now, rather than posting if it could, you know, reliably play games. Sadness ensues.

Also, for some reason when I booted it up just now it only took about two minutes to become functional, and Nexus Dock actually loaded instead of the taskbar like it's really supposed to. I'm not entirely sure why this is the case now and not last night, but I'm quite happy about it and hope it keeps doing this.

*: All of it. My entire screen is Firefox right now. It's luxurious, and I've never experienced this before.

#1151 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63387 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

I lost faith in Microsoft when they named it Cortana and didn't give me a holo girlfriend

that's just stupid...

be like making a replicator and then saying I can't ask it to make tea earl grey hot

#1152 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

I lost faith in Microsoft when they named it Cortana and didn't give me a holo girlfriend

that's just stupid...

be like making a replicator and then saying I can't ask it to make tea earl grey hot

Indeed! Though I'm not sure I really mind getting a search engine instead. AI people are cool and all, but I don't actually want one on my machine? Waaaaay too much of a resource load, and she'd backseat drive every time I try to play a game. Maybe if I bought a separate netbook? Yes, and then I could give her permissions for the video and mic, and keep speakers plugged in. This plan would work and contains no inconsistencies.

#1153 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51860 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, the a la carte shell doesn't sound like a bad setup, honestly, I just don't think I'd do something quite like that myself. I don't have a lot of complaints with the Windows UX, but the restarting and the boot times do sound pretty absurdly awful. And it's good that it's working properly now - I knew that at least past versions of Windows allowed an alternate "shell" (so far as I know, that's where the word comes from) via a registry key, that simply launched a different application in place of the taskbar. Of course, past versions of Windows also allowed for auto-hiding the taskbar, too. Is that no longer a thing? = /

Does Opus have an optical drive? While they were in the process of going out of fashion, there was a trend for taking out the optical drive, getting an IDE mount for the magnetic drive to put it back where the optical was, then putting an SSD where the magnetic was as the boot drive, and putting the optical in an external enclosure. The whole setup is pretty cheap stuff. 

I don't understand the point of cheap computers, either. If you have two machines with the same specs, and one is significantly more expensive, it usually means the build quality is better, or the less obvious specs like screen quality for a laptop are better, or the engineering is better, or a whole host of other less visible or tangible differences. All of the things that can go wrong with a PC, whether it's overheating problems or degrading display quality or unpredictable keyboard faults and so on, are things that you can pay not to have. I want my computer to last until I retire it, and to actually enjoy using it. 

Edit: Should also say that when I think "specs," the first visible and easy to understand number I look for on almost any device is the weight, so.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 19 October 2015 - 08:52 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1154 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, I'd thought about switching it out, but I believe Explorer is drawing the wallpaper, too? Not sure I care enough right now to go find an app for displaying wallpaper, then double-check to make sure I can replace the default shell without any other horrible problems, then make sure I understand how to set and restore system recovery points properly*, then reboot my computer such that I can see if it works. Ewgh. Too much...

That sounds like fun! I have like, zero discretional income right now, though. I'd have to wait a few months on this.

*: ...Um. Actually, maybe this is just knowledge I need to have, isn't it? Excuse me, I need to go look into system recovery points...

#1155 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51860 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, the desktop wallpaper is drawn by Explorer so that it can work as a big, frameless, spatially organized Explorer window. I'd be flabbergasted to find that there wasn't a simple tutorial out there for swapping out shells, or to imagine having a problem that would require jumping back to a system restore point, but I also forget sometimes that when Windows breaks, you can't just jump out to a recovery shell. But there's safe mode, which is mostly the same thing...?

#1156 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:48 PM

Well. That was not the intended result.

#1157 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51860 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

What happen? Someone set up you the bomb?

#1158 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

What happen? Someone set up you the bomb?

I got signal, but main screen did not turn on.

#1159 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51860 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

Eeeeeeek. = /

#1160 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:04 PM

It got better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ask Thread, AMA, Copper Bezel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users