Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Another Squirrely Sidequest

Ask Thread AMA Copper Bezel

6722 replies to this topic

#1121 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:01 AM

one finger is fine

Then why'd you ask the doctor for 3 in your last physical?

#1122 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63390 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

she was a redhead

also.. I've never had a physical. Free healthcare is fine, but why go looking for problems?

Edited by Destron D-69, 14 October 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#1123 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36136 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

Um... so you can catch them before they get advanced to the point where "preventative care" turns into "emergency care?"

#1124 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23083 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#1125 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63390 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

the way the economy is I don't think that holds true any more once you convert it to metric 

#1126 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Turn your back on fate and write your own story

• Supporter
  • 48111 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:13 AM

How about "ten minutes of a physical is better than hours upon hours of emergency care"?

#1127 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:21 AM

How about "ten minutes of a physical is better than hours upon hours of emergency care"?

That throws off the conversion, though. If an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, than 1 prevention equals 16 cure. So 10 minutes of prevention should correlate to 2 hours, 40 minutes of cure, not "hours and hours". At least one of these statements is incorrect.

Tired of this forum shitting on me.

#1128 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 48111 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:23 AM

Just because this is Copper's thread doesn't mean you HAVE to channel the pedantry.

#1129 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

Just because this is Copper's thread doesn't mean you HAVE to channel the pedantry.

Oh, don't be silly. This is entirely my own pedantry. Why do you think me and Copper get along so well? = P

#1130 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 48111 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:31 AM

10mobkh.jpg_zpsbzkssrkg.gif

#1131 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63390 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:54 AM

Attached File  1442339605749.png   422.05KB   1 downloads

actually I was talking grams and kilograms

PEDANTRY PARTY!

#1132 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 48111 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:56 AM

Your silly metric system has no place in MAH MURRICA!

#1133 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63390 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:22 AM

except for your soft drinks

#1134 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

except for your soft drinks

And patients' weights in hospitals! (But not height, as far as I can tell. I have no idea why.)

#1135 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51871 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

I'd say a stitch in time saves nine, which is on the order of magnitude of the ounce to the pound, and point out that the number of orders of magnitude is itself on the same order of magnitude as the gram to the kilo, which is close enough for adages. Preventative care unquestionably saves money; the trouble at the moment is whose money. And of course, the fact that the incentives are all screwed around and punish the wrong people for the wrong things is well understood, as is the fact that human beings have a very, very weak understanding of probability and will take absurd risks for very little gain if those risks are suitably abstract or distant. I think the best evidence I have for that is that as someone capable of saying that, I'm also someone who has no health insurance who stepped out for a cigarette before replying. 

This is unrelated, but I have to share this thing that happened in my face. 

My grandmother got an advert in the mail for something called "Arctic Ruby Oil." It's worth noting that even she recognized it as a scam - she's not really a difficult person to confuse. It's something a Norwegian company simply called Calanus p-hacked into a correlation with loss of gut fat, naturally claiming that further testing or corroboration is underway (naturally it is not.) But the solicit included a tiny booklet telling the story of this miraculous "Arctic ruby oil." A representative sample:

Almost immediately Kurt noticed a surge of endurance, both at work and during his leisure skiing and hiking trips! More astounding...a colleague reported that his belly was shrinking, but he hadn't changed his diet or life style. His colleague's wife was happy too. Her husband's ability in all areas of physical activity had increased! These effects Kurt could only attribute to the ruby oil.

So, this oil is a lipid collected from Calanus copepods, little planktonic crustaceans. The website consistently calls it "Calanus ® oil", because they've apparently registered a trademark on a copepod, where the mailer materials consistently call it "Arctic Ruby Oil", presumably on the assumption that old people who want to seem youthful and vital are frequently interested in pursuing Arctic oil sources. Probably the most honest advertising comes from the website - specifically, try the link for "Clinically Proven." 

Now, none of this is in any way surprising - this is a form-letter representative of the "alternative" "supplements" industry, "snake oil." But I've never seen anything that came quite so close to actually being the Old West archetype. It only fails on the grounds of not involving actual snakes. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#1136 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63390 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

But Granny Smith made it all the way up there on that there high dive'ama jigger!

#1137 Caraise Link

Caraise Link

Gone.

• Supporter
  • 2278 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:24 AM

So a little bit ago I decided I was utterly fed up with waiting 5+ minutes for my computer to boot up, then proceeded to coldly evaluate every startup process and go crazy axe murder on any that did not meet my expectations. Many did not make it.

So that was good, I got about a minute back, but it still wasn't really enough. The taskbar still hung for a couple minutes after the desktop itself finished loading, which meant I couldn't load any apps even if the computer was up and awake. I decided this meant I needed a new taskbar that wasn't integrated into Explorer, and so I hunted down a dock app, configured a crapload of stuff, and now I don't have a Windows taskbar anymore. This unfortunately meant that Windows' app launcher is disabled even if I load up the Start screen, so I had to go grab a new one of those, too.

This was good, but still not the best. Given that the taskbar is part of Windows Explorer, Explorer would be hanging for just as long as the taskbar was. One of the first things I typically do when booting up my computer is load a folder for something, so this wasn't really acceptable. Naturally, I needed a new file manager as well. I tried and promptly deleted several useless, cluttery ones before finding a functional cluttery one with so many personalization options that, half an hour later, it's not cluttery anymore.

Unfortunately, all this only gained me another minute back, because now my dock is a user-installed startup app, which means it's loaded with the other user-installed startup apps, which means it actually loads up after the taskbar. (Yes. Windows loads up the taskbar first, it's there, and then it runs away once Nexus Dock loads up. At least they don't try to terminate each other anymore.)

I seem to be a bit limited in how much earlier I can actually make it load, but it occurred to me that the aforementioned other user-installed startup apps were actually taking a fair bit of time to load. Were Nexus to actually load first, this would be less of an issue. So I poked around and eventually found an app that allowed me to control the startup order, meaning that Nexus loads up alongside the other core features like anti-malware, HDD protection, etc. Another minute or so gained.

At this point I've spent about six hours getting three minutes of startup time back. Not actually done yet; the startup itself is still horrendously slow in ways it didn't use to be, so I'll probably have to learn how to clean my registry.

...But that actually ended up being a secondary consideration compared to having accidentally replaced basically all of Windows' normal UI. I'd thought about getting a different explorer before, but I hadn't realized I could replace the taskbar, and that was kind of the point on which all else hinged. My first impressions is that when this stops being weird in a week or two, it's going to be a lot faster and less of a hassle than the default stuff. Really wish I'd done this a while ago, I feel hopelessly naive now.

#1138 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36136 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

Teach me how to do this?

#1139 OrionPax44

OrionPax44

Old an falling apart

• Supporter
  • 8166 posts
  • Location:Enjoying a fever dream, wondering where it's gonna lead
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

My current laptop has taken a massive crap so startup takes forever, literally it will never startup again. My fix is that I am going to smash it into little itty bits melt it all together and then smash them again. I will of course be taking out all hazardous items from it first.

5473617b-d2fa-4bcd-8a25-8a0dd778f111_zps

I reject your reality and substitute my own

#1140 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36136 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

Come to think of it, my laptop has been starting up rather quickly ever since I installed Windows 10. So I actually don't have much need to improve there. And I did poke around and figure out how to disable programs that run on startup. Decided to turn off iTunesHelper.exe because even though I found it useful, it won't be doing much for me until I have a functioning iPod again...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ask Thread, AMA, Copper Bezel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users