Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Another Squirrely Sidequest

Ask Thread AMA Copper Bezel

6714 replies to this topic

#4861 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:53 PM

I'm looking for a cheap as hug laptop to experiment with Linux on, but so far my only candidate is a ThinkPad R61 with a shitty Celeron CPU.

QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#4862 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

You'd be getting a pretty authentic experience - ThinkPad users and Linux users tend to overlap pretty considerably. Two gigs of RAM and a celeron processor means you probably wouldn't want to be running a full modern desktop, but there's XFCE. Is it the 1.86Ghz version? It's at least 64 bit, so that's good. (A lot of third party apps don't support 32 bit Linux anymore.) Pity it's single core and not the Core Duo version, threading makes so many things friendlier....

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 12:12 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#4863 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

It actually only has 512MB of RAM right now...it was an education spec machine shipped with XP instead of Vista.

I could upgrade the CPU to a Merom Core2 Duo and pick up a lot of performance and upgrade the RAM to 4GB but I've got other machines that need the time and cash investment more right now.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#4864 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

I'd make that my recommendation when you can spare it then. I won't say it's going to be the best possible Linux experience, and you could get more of a sense of the OS from a dual boot, live USB boot, or even a VM on your main machine, but it'd be an authentic piece for your collection. Because developers love Linux and ThinkPads.

When System76 recently announced they were going to be designing their own laptops for Ubuntu instead of rebranding grey boxes from China, one of the first responses I saw on Reddit was people asking for a clit mouse. Even called it a TrackPoint™.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#4865 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

Heh, this R61 is so cheap it doesn't even have a trackpad! It's a retro ThinkPad without the retro!

---Dave

#4866 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

TrackPoint.

Surely you must have one or the other. The TrackPoint is certainly the retro one. All ThinkPads of that era have them, including the R61.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 12:45 AM.

#4867 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:48 AM

TrackPoint yes, trackpad no. It's TrackPoint only! Navigating Windows like it's 1995!

---Dave

#4868 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:49 AM

Right, it's a retro ThinkPad with all of the retro. = ]

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#4869 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

The people who still insist on the existence of TrackPoint™-brand clit mice claim that they're developer-friendly because they allow you to use the mouse without moving your fingers off home row. That means that for a workflow that involves a lot of typing, but also a lot of moving around documents, selecting, and switching views or windows, they're a nice compromise, basically the worst pointing device but also requiring the least break in keyboard use to use.

I notice that text documents and big, friendly touchpads go together well as long as the touchpad has decent palm rejection, where a mouse tends to be more convenient for a lot of other tasks, so I can sort of understand the logic.

But there's no denying the authenticity.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 01:07 AM.

#4870 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

I honestly don't consider any ThinkPad made from the debut of the various letter series to be retro, though. To me retro ThinkPads are all the 300 series, 500 series, 600 series, 700 series, etc.

---Dave

#4871 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

Ah, gotcha. "Retro Thinkpad" doesn't stop with the jump to Lenovo or anything to me, since there's a consistency in design there - especially since there's been a much bigger shift this decade, trying to compromise between the ThinkPad design philosophy and modern ultrabook styles and priorities, so "retro" really just makes me think anything before that. (Including machines still in active use now, which I know is a contradiction.)

Edit: For full authenticity, it occurs to me that you'd want to install something with SELinux, or at least enable full disk encryption on install. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 01:27 AM.

#4872 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

IBM switched from 3 digit model codes to letters in the early 2000s, so A/X/T and maybe R predate the Lenovo buyout.

---Dave

#4873 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:32 AM

Yeah, I'm seeing that, although Lenovo inherited the model letters, too. So there are IBM ThinkPad Rs, despite the fact that R61 and others are Lenovo.

#4874 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63285 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:52 AM

Attached File  e07.png   10.61KB   0 downloads  I jus dunna can't figure none of y'alls' fancy talk

#4875 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:14 AM

pitcOtZ.jpg

ThinkPad is a venerable series of workhorse laptops started by IBM in the early 1990s. In 2005, they sold the brand off to Lenovo as IBM moved deeper into the "enterprise solutions" market and stopped making PCs of any kind. While there have been some gradual, iterative updates along the way, Lenovo has kept up the brand's priorities and aesthetics until very recently; big, ugly, chunky black boxes that appear to be designed for the rigors of the world of Fallout.

The red dot in the middle of the keyboard is called a TrackPoint™, or a clit mouse when it's on a non-Lenovo-or-IBM-branded device. It's basically a stiff joystick for either thumb that combines with the mouse buttons in the keyboard (the red bars at the edge of the case on the very old one pictured) to provide a rudimentary mouse. Later ThinkPads supplemented this with a trackpad / touchpad below the space bar and moved the TrackPoint™'s buttons further up, but the TrackPoint™ stayed as a recognizable icon of the ThinkPad brand.

There was a recent design refresh that introduced a slimmer profile, sloped for sliding into bags and cases, a much larger touchpad, and island-style keys (flat keys that have their own individual cutouts on the keyboard frame, something I think Apple originally introduced a decade or two ago, instead of sloped-edged keys that fit together with no space in between) like a more modern laptop. They're still designed with more power and less battery life than most everyday users want and still keep the TrackPoint™, 

jd24rNh.png

There's a significant overlap between ThinkPad users and Linux users, partly because they've both traditionally done well with people working in IT. There's also IBM's history with Linux, etc.

Also, because both groups of users contain a large proportion of people who are a particular kind of fussy.

Edit: Oh, and "retro", as always, means a somewhat different think for Eva than it does for me, since Eva collects genuinely retro hardware.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 02:15 AM.

#4876 Foffy

Foffy

Ray of chaotic sunshine

• Citizen
  • 8756 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

Attached File  Photo May 17, 7 22 39 PM.jpg   127.09KB   0 downloads

#4877 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

Oh wow! So much cute right there! = D

#4878 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

I guess I'm fighting against the modern laptop too, as I think anything thinner than my recently acquired 2009 unibody white MacBook is needlessly thin.

---Dave

#4879 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

I like thin, definitely. I think about 1.5-2 cm on the thick (hinge) end is ideal to me? I like being able to throw a laptop in my bag and not think about the space it's taking. And I do appreciate island keys and all-day batteries. But I also would prefer not to go over an 11.6" screen for a laptop, so. If you're talking a full-size 15" or something laptop, which I'd have no use for in the first place, I don't honestly see much benefit in going super-thin with them.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 May 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#4880 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

I hate the new MacBook Pro's keyboard and lack of ports and would rather have a thicker laptop with a much less shallow keyboard and more ports.

I like Mac OS but I honestly feel like I'd be better off Hackintoshing at this point...

---Dave

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ask Thread, AMA, Copper Bezel

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users