Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 January 2020 - 11:17 PM)

Twitter's revamp is so dumb. Nowadays, even when I am logged out of my account, right-clicking an image on Google Chrome won't let me access a URL to easily get the image's full size. That functionality was so useful!

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 January 2020 - 10:01 PM)

But when was the last time you saw a major retailer (since TRU) actually allot shelf space for a Transformers Titan? Or the Vintage Collection Poe X-Wing? There's clearly some sort of disparity between "girls" and "boys" toys that give companies justification to create $100+ items in the girls segment in FAR greater frequency than in boys.

@  fourteenwings : (25 January 2020 - 12:56 AM)

"how expensive they were" Tell that to L.O.L. O.M.G. and the $129 Amazing Surprise (I mean I guess when it comes to the toy aisle Power Rangers isn't a juggernaut like L.O.L.)

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:18 PM)

I think the big reason we didn't see the actual combining Zords at retail was because of how expensive they were. It would cost $100 to get enough of them to make a Megazord, $160+ if you want the Ultrazord. Or parents could just get the dang Ultrazord for $40 even if it didn't combine.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Because they are "kids toys" not "collector toys"

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 03:27 PM)

1) I don't have Target. 2) can't go into my walmart. I'm surprised Hasbro won't sell the toys on Pulse

@  Bass X0 : (24 January 2020 - 02:43 PM)

I dreamt my phone was ringing and woke up to answer it.

@  Sabrblade : (24 January 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Lightning Collection figures, the smaller normal-sized Beast Morphers Ranger/enemy/Beast-Bot figures, the role-play morpher and weapon toys, and the simplistic non-combining megazord toys have all been very easy to find at various Targets and Walmarts. It's only been the actual combining Beast Morphers zord toys (which are bizarrely being sold individually this time) that have been hard to find in stores.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Thought I do question Hasbro's almost reluctance to have the toys available anywhere.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 01:44 PM)

i've been trying to sell mine for weeks...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I hadn't opened mine yet, but from what I've seen, the general agreement is that the Beast Morpher zords are much better than Bandais.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I'm guessing if they're going to do anything on the level of Legacy Zords, it's being discussed behind NDAs at Toy Fair

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 January 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Lightning Collection is good, and they're taking their sweet time on making Zords that are better than Bandai's Zords.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 10:34 AM)

So, what's the general PR fandom consensus of the Hasbro run of PR so far? I pretty much stepped out of the community after I got the Bandai Legacy zords I wanted.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 08:46 AM)

that would require someone to BUY Hasbro PR toys...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 07:17 AM)

Well hopefully see some cool PR stuff. Wish BBTS sold Hasbro PR toys.

@  fourteenwings : (24 January 2020 - 07:01 AM)

February 22nd through 25th, I feel like it was earlier last year...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 06:32 AM)

When is NY TF?

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:43 PM)

I don't know about Hasbro's general policy but I know everybody was on lockdown for Frozen II, which included both LEGO and Hasbro. Plus, I'm guessing everybody is holding off PR for NY Toy Fair? Overall, it's best to remember that Toy Fairs are for buyers, not fans.

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:41 PM)

LEGO has been doing this for ages, including sending cease and desists when outlets get leaked images.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:42 PM)

And then they ended up selling off the brand, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:41 PM)

Last time a toy brand I followed tightened down on toy fair and all the invited guests posted glowing reviews of what they saw, I ended up being disappointed as heck.

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:34 PM)

JediNews UK basically said they got a walkthrough of Lego's showcase...but were legally bound to NOT talk about anything, much less take pics.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:24 PM)

I wondered why I had seen basically nothing newsworthy from the event

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM)

Word is that Hasbro and Lego have their UK Toy Fair stuff on MAJOR lockdown. Full NDAs and everything.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 09:28 PM)

Seeing people say the $0.99 + $20 shipping item is cheaper than the $19.99 + free shipping item and getting tons of likes for it... I just don't know anymore.

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

if you havent already, y'all check your walmarts clearance aisle. i found siege six shot for $5. course, it could just be my walmart, but never hurts to look

@  Vexwing : (23 January 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Candlejack is going to need more ro

@  Patch : (23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM)

I thought you had to type out Candlejack's full name bef

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM)

I typed in the wrong tab.

@  Paladin : (23 January 2020 - 02:32 PM)

must've been the works of Candleja

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 02:06 PM)

looks like maximus wiped himself out mid-sentence

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Disregard this.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Another Squirrely Sidequest

Ask Thread AMA Copper Bezel

6692 replies to this topic

#4821 Caldwin

Caldwin

Snikt!

• Supporter
  • 25183 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Everybody's a black hat...everybody!

I mean, even Foffy's been hanging around the likes of me and TMM for so long, even he's beginning to sport some shades of gray.

Sorry, Foff!
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#4822 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Springer's Mom has got it go'n on!

• Supporter
  • 62548 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

my hat's fabulously purple 

#4823 Foffy

Foffy

Ray of chaotic sunshine

• Citizen
  • 8756 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

I don't really wear hats all that often, honestly.

#4824 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Sorry I missed your question earlier. I've been out walking the cat while using my slowest computer to communicate.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#4825 Caldwin

Caldwin

Snikt!

• Supporter
  • 25183 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, that one definitely needs a chaperone, doesn't he? :D
PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#4826 Foffy

Foffy

Ray of chaotic sunshine

• Citizen
  • 8756 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Sorry I missed your question earlier. I've been out walking the cat while using my slowest computer to communicate.

I'm curious, how do you go about walking your cat? I'm assuming it's not the same as walking a dog. Or is it?

#4827 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

I don't know, I've never had a dog, and I've also never had a cat that needed walking. It goes like:

Open the door and let him out. Follow him to wherever he sits. 

Let him sniff around or chew on whatever he sat on. 

Wait for him to pick a new spot. Follow him to the new spot. 

Repeat a few dozen times. 

Get bored, chase the cat into a corner, pick him up, and go back inside.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#4828 Foffy

Foffy

Ray of chaotic sunshine

• Citizen
  • 8756 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Mostly I was just wondering if it involved a leash. Leashing a cat just doesn't feel like a thing that should be done. Like, in theory, there's no reason it shouldn't work, but...

By the way you describe it, walking Atty doesn't sound too bad. Do you have a fenced-in yard or something where you do this, or does he just get wander around wherever?

Edited by Foffy, 15 May 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#4829 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62548 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

on a purely practical level, I could see myself being a cat person. but on an emotional level, it just wouldn't work.

it makes me happy thought that there are people in the world that do love the things though. 

#4830 Caldwin

Caldwin

Snikt!

• Supporter
  • 25183 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Both cats I ever had as a kid were indoor cats. There was one time my second cat got out, but even he was an inside cat (side note that's why even if you declaw your cats, you should still at least leave them their hind-claws).

I always figured that outdoor cats you just give them a collar and let them go?
PSN = Caldwin

#4831 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, Atty started life as an outdoor cat - he's a rescue - but he's definitely an indoor cat now whether he likes it or not. = P I don't know what I'm going to do with him, though; letting him out once in a while doesn't seem to be reducing his constant crying to go outside. I mean, he isn't crying about it while he's outside, but. = /

I don't actually have a collar on him at present. I need to get him one now that he potentially might slip out at some point I'm not around, because if something then spooked or attracted him or something, he could end up getting out of the yard. There are harnesses and leashes for cats, and I considered getting him a set, but since he only wants to sniff around close to the house and seems to understand where the property lines are, it's not really an issue. He hasn't exactly been stellar at listening to me while outside - "no" takes some more persistence and volume when he thinks he's doing serious exploration business - and he still runs around when it's time to go back inside to try to wear me down into letting him stay, but he's largely been behaving himself otherwise. He did bolt across the street once, but I think he got the message that wasn't something he was allowed to do, and he's never tried it again. There's a fence on either side of the back yard along the property lines, but nothing's enclosed.

It's physically possible to put a cat leash on a regular cat collar, but it doesn't accomplish anything. You need a harness similar to the ones used for rabbits, ferrets, etc. 

on a purely practical level, I could see myself being a cat person. but on an emotional level, it just wouldn't work.

it makes me happy thought that there are people in the world that do love the things though. 

I can relate in that I can't really imagine having any other kind of pet. To me, cats are cats, and then all other pets are just wild or domesticated animals being treated like pets. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 15 May 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#4832 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

So this Windows 10 S thing is kinda legitimately evil.

#4833 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62548 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:09 AM

the S is for Should have stuck with 7 

#4834 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:15 AM

The S stands for Extortion. 

#4835 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 62548 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:35 AM

Ester's Sean? 

#4836 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:26 AM

A nice breakdown:

So, everything that differentiates Windows 10 S is meant to lock users into MS's revenue streams. You can't install apps from outside the Windows Store. You can't install an alternate web browser, because Microsoft doesn't allow competing browsers in the store anymore, unless they use Edge's rendering and JavaScript "standards" (so Google could write a Chrome for the Store again, but it'd be Edge in a hat.) You can't change the default search engine from Bing.

Everywhere it's being targeted right now, there's the option of a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (not Home, incidentally.) If you buy an MS Surface or you're an educator buying a case of cheap classroom laptops, you get a free upgrade. But the upgrade itself without a deal is $50.

They're billing it as a "security" deal, but I'm getting used to the idea that literally whenever Microsoft refers to "security" measures, the "security" means "anti-competition". 

The fact that the upgrade has a price tag on it means that it's definitely not going to be free in all cases in the future. It's going to be the Windows 10 that comes pre-installed on low-end devices, the $200 laptops and tablets at Walmart. So pay your $50, or the only software you ever install to that device will be the software Microsoft gets a cut of, and Microsoft alone gets to mine all your browsing data. Since 90% of users don't care, they're going to go for the second option. Not that it matters, MS wins either way, and it's just subtle enough they might get away with it unlike their similar attempt with Windows RT during 8, when they instead had confused buyers returning RT machines in buckets because they wouldn't run their programs. 

I like the observation that in the real world, S means "special" or "sport". Microsoft hasn't said it stands for anything in particular, but the implication is "secure". Sort of like calling it GT but the GT stands for Gimped Trash.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 16 May 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#4837 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Forged in fury, tempered in ice

• Supporter
  • 45884 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:46 AM

In Microsoft's case, the "S" seems to mean "suckers".

#4838 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50639 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

It occurs to me that Windows 7 Starter was the locked-down Windows version that shipped on low-end devices before Windows 8 and its RT. (Of course, there was a lot less that they could lock down at the time, so they're not comparable as products, but there's plausibly a connection in the name.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 16 May 2017 - 05:58 AM.

#4839 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18282 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

Woooow. You know, I've never really hated Microsoft, but that brings me a lot closer to it...

The whole benefit of dealing with Windows is the open flexibility of the most supported OS on the market. There's no way they don't know exactly what they're doing.

nzo8WYb.png

#4840 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Forged in fury, tempered in ice

• Supporter
  • 45884 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

the_s_is_for_sucks.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ask Thread, AMA, Copper Bezel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users