Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

combine the two options. Grayffles or Waffson

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:43 PM)

split the difference- "Ryan" after the Titanium Ranger.

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:10 PM)

The second name choice is "Waffles", named after Goofy's gray tabby cat from Goof Troop. It's a cuter name than "Grayson" and the kitten is definitely adorable, but his colors aren't as close a match to the namesake as one of his sibling's colors are (said sibling is already spoken for, so I can't name that one).

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

The first name choice is "Grayson", because he's gray and a son, and I think the name sounds cool. It also makes me think of Carter Grayson, the Red Ranger from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, who was a born leader and one of the coolest Red Rangers.

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

"Lamont."

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:06 PM)

I need help deciding on a name for one of the kittens. He's an all-gray cat but is also showing early signs of growing some black stripes in his fur. There are two names I've thought of for him and can't decide which one I like more.

@  Telly : (25 April 2019 - 01:31 PM)

got the second part of first gundam, popped it in and wow! picture miles better than my old dvds. other than the archaic animation (which i dont mind), it looks like it was done recently

@  Xellos : (25 April 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Aye, or at least the movies for Zeta, as they supposedly negate ZZ, kinda like how the Code Geass clip movies retcon some events before the newest one.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

Photo

Jem & the Holograms #1 Preview and Review!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 News Team

News Team

Are there any more qualified than me to bring you the latest new

• Citizen
  • 35666 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

Written by Kelly Thompson
Art by Sophie Campbell
Story by Thompson and Campbell
Colors by M . Victoria Robado
Letters by Robbie Robbins
Edits by John Barber

Jem_01-01.jpg?fit=150%2C150 Jem_01-02.jpg?fit=150%2C150 Jem_01-03.jpg?fit=150%2C150 Jem_01-04.jpg?fit=150%2C150 Jem_01-05.jpg?fit=150%2C150 Jem_01-06.jpg?fit=150%2C150 Jem_01-07.jpg?fit=150%2C150

"Showtime, Part One"

Jerrica Benton is the lead singer of the Holograms... in theory. She just needs to conquer her crippling stage fright in time for the Holograms to submit a demo to a Misfits battle-of-the-bands contest. As luck would have it, she's soon contacted by her fairy godhologram, Synergy. Jerrica's father programmed Synergy to be the interface of an amazing supercomputer capable for fantastic holographic illusions. Jerrica knows just what to do with that--she may have stage fright, but if she's not herself...

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this so far. I feel like after all the hype, this initial outing of Jem really would have benefited from a longer issue so we could really get to know the characters, especially our title heroine. Jem only appears on the last page, and the bulk of this issue is a new retelling of an origin that anyone who has any familiarity with the character already knows. I'm not particularly knocking that--it's sort of like criticizing a new Spider-Man incarnation for beginning with a radioactive spider biting a nerd and Uncle Ben getting shot. Yet even with the changes, a lot of this is old hat to the old fans, and it would have been nice to see some extra pages that enabled Thompson to really show off how this is a new and different Jem.

I did get a feel for all the Holograms, their likes, their dislikes, and most importantly how their uniqueness can cause friction but also add to the whole. No matter where Thompson goes with this, whether the Holograms gel as one and easily rise to the top or struggle to overcome in-fighting holding them back, I'm going to find it believable.

As an aside, I've always been bothered that in the original cartoon, Jerrica never actually has a reason for adopting a secret identity. She just seemingly decides to do it on a whim, then she decides to keep doing it because she doesn't want to embarrass Rio. Because compounding the lie daily will surely lessen the embarrassment when he finally and inevitably discovers the truth, right? Aside from not being a very convincing reason behind a core concept of the show to exist, it's not really a good lesson for the impressionable target audience. By simply giving Jerrica stage fright, Thompson has squashed that bug outright and additionally created a wealth of story potential; by using the guise of Jem, Jerrica isn't confronting her problems. I can already tell that Thompson is going to take us there, and I think it's going to be a fantastic new addition to the franchise.

Campbell's art is superb, keeping a very natural and engaging flow to a comic that by nature has little action, especially in this initial point when the conflict hasn't actually begun. Robado's colors are a fascinating study in blues and pinks and purples, setting and utilizing a great deal of tone. Please pardon my saying so, but there's a great deal of synergy between them and the visual appeal in this comic is incredible.

That said, I'm still not sold on these character redesigns. Kimber in particular throws me for a loop, as Jerrica looks far younger than she does. Thompson seems to be referring in part to the redesigns in a brief essay after the story, where she talks about needing the willingness to jettison nostalgia, to not let it bind the concept and make the creative team afraid to take chances. I get what she's saying here, but the flip side there is that you can run the risk of creating an "In Name Only" take on the property rather than a hot new version. Which one is this? Well, now I'm back to my initial thoughts that this premiere should have had more pages. I just don't have enough to work with yet.

It's a very solid book, but... is it Jem? I'm not sure how to answer that yet. However, perhaps Thompson has a point and it's not that relevant, because I would pick up the next issue regardless.

Favorite Line: "Was Dad freaking Iron Man? Why does he have a super secret technology cave?" --Kimber wonders if she's in the right book.

(Review by Luke)

View the full article

Edited by Lukeblast, 23 March 2015 - 11:46 PM.

#2 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:59 PM

So the Holograms' characterization was done but what about the Misfits?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6769 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:38 AM

I did not know that Ross Campbell was going by the name Sophie now. Regardless! What a phenomenal artist. Cannot wait to get my hands on this book.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:21 AM

I barely remember this series, I frankly usually changed channels when this came on - I watched Care Bears and MLP even as a kid, 'cause of the fantasy elements, but always found Jem too mundane and boring. They are a rock band, basically, facing real-life challenges. There was nothing interesting for me in that.

#5 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

I did not know that Ross Campbell was going by the name Sophie now. Regardless! What a phenomenal artist. Cannot wait to get my hands on this book.

She....is "came out" the right term? revealed? announced? she was transitioning and would now be know as Sophie  I think a week or two back.
http://www.bleedingc...ikipedia-entry/

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6769 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

Yeah. Good for her. Have loved her art for years. No better TMNT since Eastman and Laird.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#7 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:50 AM

So the Holograms' characterization was done but what about the Misfits?

Not in the issue at all. That's fine with me, as the Misfits were never integral to Jem's origin and their contribution to the background (the need to compete in a battle of the bands contest) is still in there. Actually spending time with them in this issue would have felt forced and unnecessary, although with more pages it could have been done.

I really hate to keep saying "more pages!", but I genuinely believe this issue's biggest problem is that it's not double-sized.

It's pretty confusing in this issue too, as Thompson's essay gushes about Ross Campbell and how invaluable he's been, but then the name isn't in the credits. "Maybe he's related to this Sophie Campbell...?" Thank god for Google to help me figure that one out. :D

#8 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6769 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

Oh, that seems a bit clumsy! You'd think if they had time to update the credits page they could have corrected the essay.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#9 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51594 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this so far. I feel like after all the hype, this initial outing of Jem really would have benefited from a longer issue so we could really get to know the characters, especially our title heroine. Jem only appears on the last page, and the bulk of this issue is a new retelling of an origin that anyone who has any familiarity with the character already knows. I'm not particularly knocking that--it's sort of like criticizing a new Spider-Man incarnation for beginning with a radioactive spider biting a nerd and Uncle Ben getting shot. Yet even with the changes, a lot of this is old hat to the old fans, and it would have been nice to see some extra pages that enabled Thompson to really show off how this is a new and different Jem.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

We've gotten Spider-man's (Batman's, Superman's, Captain America's, etc) NUMEROUS times since the first one. I'm sure since the concept originally debuted we've gotten to see Batman's origin at least ten times if not more. All of those origins are pop culture in a way that a single origin story that was done thirty years ago really isn't.

card-strongarm.jpg

#10 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2358 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

My friend Did the colors, Woo!

Gonna shamelessly plug her comic while I'm at it. http://www.fragilestory.com/

#11 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6769 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:34 AM

Just read the issue, and loved it. Can't wait for next month.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#12 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

We've gotten Spider-man's (Batman's, Superman's, Captain America's, etc) NUMEROUS times since the first one. I'm sure since the concept originally debuted we've gotten to see Batman's origin at least ten times if not more. All of those origins are pop culture in a way that a single origin story that was done thirty years ago really isn't.

I think you're missing the purpose of that example, because I was trying to acknowledge that Jem's origin is far less well-known than other characters who receive near-constant retellings of their origins. If Spider-Man can get his origin retold in one media or another every six months, Jem can get it once in 30 years.

However, and this may not have been as clear as I intended, there IS only the one origin for Jem. Anyone who has ANY familiarity with it has seen a lot of this comic before, and the issue effectively ends when the plot starts. The criticism here is not that the origin is retold, but that there isn't enough room for much else, like showing those who already know the origin what makes this Jem different. It's fantastic that the origin is redone so that people new to the character can get that, but there's not as much hook for longtime fans as I would have liked. This in turn comes back to my feelings that it just plain deserved a longer first issue.

Edited by Lukeblast, 25 March 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#13 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

I actually don't know the origins of Jem. Not in detail anyway. Her dad left her Synergy and they started the band to save the orphanage, right? I always wondered why the younger sister didn't her own pair of holo earrings. Favoritism!

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#14 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

Given when Campbell made the announcement I mentioned above, the book was likely at the printers already.

My friend Did the colors, Woo!

Gonna shamelessly plug her comic while I'm at it. http://www.fragilestory.com/

That reminds me, I'm months behind on EC/MC etc... 

However, and this may not have been as clear as I intended, there IS only the one origin for Jem......

The upcoming movie says "Nope"

This in turn comes back to my feelings that it just plain deserved a longer first issue.

Welcome to the secondary audience.

#15 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

It wasn't until after I bought the issue that I remembered that I'm skeptical of musical stories/characters in audio-less media.

I'm musically illiterate, so even if they do give some kind of guide I will still have no idea what the songs are supposed to sound like.

Other wise the issue seemed like an intelligently modernized update of Jem's origin, but not much else.

I'll be honest; I didn't even know Jem existed until a few years ago, but since I have seen a few episode and have read up on it a bit.

I'm not a huge fan of the property, but I could see myself being into this comic depending on where it goes from here.

#16 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

However, and this may not have been as clear as I intended, there IS only the one origin for Jem......

The upcoming movie says "Nope"

:wtf Right, upcoming, not existent. How does it contradict anything to say that there will be another origin at some point? Where was it suggested that such a thing was relevant?

#17 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

I liked the second issue okay.

My main two criticisms are that it's a bit too decompressed for my tastes, and the music is still lost on me.

Are they songs from the show? I've started listening to them all just in case they do show up in the comic.

#18 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

I'm okay with the diversity in body-types but why do Kimber and Clash (especially her) look anorexic? The panels with Clash on her laptop make her look so frail like her arms would snap off of her torso if she picked up a cottonball.

And is it just me or does Roxy's face look just a little too...masculine? If she's supposed to be transgender in this incarnation I could understand it. It's not just from one angle or limited to a single panel. There's something consistently "off" about her facial structure that makes me think of Legolas or Loki.

Maybe "androgynous" is a better word.

Love the writing though as well as seeing Ba-Nee and Ashley.

-SS (and the sabotage plot is straight out of the cartoon!)

Edited by StarSaber, 23 May 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#19 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

I think Kimber and Clash are just supposed to be tall and lanky.

I have experience with being a 6' bean pole myself, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have an eating disorder.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 23 May 2015 - 01:37 PM.