Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

How do we not have a Steven Universe thread?!

3377 replies to this topic

#3361 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41994 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

It kinda DID look like earth foliage... but that was supposedly before pink got the earth as a colony. I know there are other green worlds out there, but they actually did a pretty good job of making that world (you know which one.) look alien.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#3362 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8518 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

Rose did have a strange power over plants and was able to affect earth plant life. (When Spinel said they were going to Pink's garden, I actually thought it was going to be Rose's garden, with the fountain).

Or perhaps it was Pink's own gem plants that she seeded on earth. It was a war of thousands of years after all and she must have been using all the advantages she had.

Sudden thought but Steven Universe kinda blew my mind about them having an alternate history. Are there other mainstream toons that have an alternate timeline established right from the start?

Most toons with a not-normal setting are set in the future so they can have extra technology but Steven Universe is practically set in the 'now' with no advanced tech visible, so much so that I didn't realize it was an alternate history until later. Even with the weird locales they visited.

Legend of Korra's start freaked me out because we were there to witness their industrial age mere decades from the Legend of Aang.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3363 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28544 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:08 PM

KaiserNeko weighs in on the diamonds

https://twitter.com/...8634913794?s=19

#3364 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36368 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#3365 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:29 PM

Okay, after a week, it aired in Canada and I finally got a free couple of hours to watch it.

*Imagining a Tarn version of 'Other Friends'.*

Steven Universe continues to be the best Transformers series we've ever had.

I think part of my issue here is... why? Its such an ungodly terrible thing, and we only see it from Spinel's view.. but still... WHY would Pink just sorta abandon her like that?

Negligence. That's always been the common thread of Pink/Rose's terrible decisions. She doesn't do confrontations, so even when she knows she's done something wrong, she just walks away and hopes things will work out once she's removed herself.

#3366 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

Alright, so I watched last night, and had some time to digest it: Did... the events of the movie really happen? I mean, obvious argument "official product, so it's canon." but...

Spinel managed to get a WMD and figure out where earth was AND travel all the way there in about three minutes. After standing, alone, in a forgotten ruin, for millennia. In that same time span, she functionally went from being a living toy, to a sapient being. I don't think it actually happened, and was literally just a vehicle to recap the series.

Edit: oh yeah, lemme know if I need to go back and put anything into spoilers, please.

Yeah, that was my main issue w/ the plot, too. I think Spinel was sapient the whole time, but I would've preferred that she had more time to know what had happened, turn from sad to angry, and get to Earth. Maybe if they had shown that previous broadcasts were made. Also I doubt the colony would bother keeping a bio injector to erase a tiny planet that only has a little bit of life on it. Also, I know that Spinel's design and movements are a nod to old cartoons, but why would she even be like that so long before Earth cartoons even existed, to a bunch of gems who barely know how to have any fun? .....unless you want to argue that Rose influenced Disney with stories of Spinel. XD

Edited by MEDdMI, 09 September 2019 - 08:30 AM.

#3367 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

Also, I know that Spinel's design and movements are a nod to old cartoons, but why would she even be like that so long before Earth cartoons even existed,

For the same reason White Diamond looks like she was designed by Fritz Lang.

#3368 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17201 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

"Repeat to your self it is just a show, I should really just relax."

-ZacWilliam, at some point you have to recognize certain things as narrative convenience or coincidence or your not going to be able to understand any Fantastical stories.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3369 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

Well, yeah, suspension of disbelief is one thing, but sometimes the holes are so big they pull you out of the story. I get Spinel'sanimation style and the old Disney book opener device as homages, but that one plot point really bugs me. You'd think that Spinel would've needed more time to process the broadcast- I get that she was stewing for 6000 years, but it took her just a few minutes after learning about what really happened to Pink to turn bad, decide she was going to wipe their memories, destroy the planet, and travel to Earth. Sometimes I can't turn off the over-analyzation, though. It's why I tend to avoid discussions of series I'm really into. I don't need more fuel for the speculation/analyzation trains already running in my head.

Edited by MEDdMI, 09 September 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#3370 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6111 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

I think we may be taking the time span as presented a little too literally. I think the musical number bridging the message and Spinel showing up may be meant to represent a little bit more time passing than what was shown directly. 

j1GI7Gi.gif

#3371 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41994 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

Good point: we have no idea how long the warp pad travel time is from homeworld to earth. But it can't possibly be that long since we know they're whole and conscious in there and steven didn't drop home starving and dehydrated... or dead.

#3372 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36368 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

I'm also still of the mind that despite what She claims, she wasn't fully committed to her plan for revenge till after she sure that she'd been forgotten. Even with the doomsday weapon and the threats before hand, she still doesn't actually attack or hurt anyone till after she realizes that Steven doesn't know her. There is a shift in her mood, the way she sings and even the music itself after that moment. While there could be a lot of unseen time between the message and her arrival to try and process all this, it still feels subtly like she's hoping she's wrong at first. It also kinda fits with her regression later on as well. She's got hope things are gonna be better, but she's scared... and then Steven quickly switches from her to helping the others when the immediate threat is ended and to her it seems like she's been used and discarded again. Just rewatching her, I just don't feel like she ever WANTS to be the bad guy, she's not wanting to be the villian... She is mind you, I'm not excusing her actions, she a villian and a major threat; but unlike most of the major antagonists we've gotten in the series Spindel is victim.

She's been deeply hurt by someone she loved and trusted and is violently lashing out, but to me there is part of her that wants to just be happy again and not do all this. I think its why she so easily kinda falls back on her silly ways when the other Diamonds show up. She's gonna be constantly reminded of what she did do if she stayed with Steven (even if they never bring it up). We kinda see that quiet a bit with Lapis over the series, with her being another victim, how anything that started to remind her of her traumas made her either lash out or pull away; so Spindel needs to be away from Earth and Steven; even if being with the Diamonds is probably not the most ideal solution, its one that could be beneficial to the healing of both parties.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#3373 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, it's definitely gonna need some re-watching when it comes out on DVD/digital. Not like there was ever any question if I would buy it or not. :D

#3374 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22458 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

WOW the SU movie is good. Like a perfect summation of everything that is good about the show itself, refined and condensed and polished to a mirror sheen.

God, am I glad to have a series this good.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#3375 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8518 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:35 PM

I read a comment that said that it could have had some more in-between frames. Like, the final eps were more consistent with the animation.
But, yeah, overall still very good. (But still leaving fans wanting more stuff in it.)

Btw, I actually thought Steven would attempt to fuse with the reset gems, to jump start their memories. They do share minds when that happens. But I reasoned that there's no emotional synchronization present to pull off a proper fusion for it to work.

(Er, now I can't explain how Steven was able to fuse with inert gems during the falling scene for Smokey and Rainbow 2.0)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3376 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4115 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

I do think Spinel and the Diamonds will actually be okay together.  Steven did say the Diamonds are way more affectionate now and they have learned from their mistakes too.

Spinel just wants to to entertain people and make friends, something she can do in the palace rather easily, and there are more candidates at the palace then just the Diamonds.  The Pebbles, and Pink Pearl if she is still there, would be ideal candidates to befriend her.  Especially Pink Pearl, as we got to see her like watching Pink Diamond perform juggling, so it feels like that would be a good match.

One interesting thing about Spinel I noticed.  Pearl mentioned she had a perfect cut.  The only other gem described like that in the show was Jasper, White Diamond just considered herself flat out perfect, her cut was never mentioned.  It can explain a little why Spinel was so powerful, even if she was created to mainly be a jester.

I do hope we get to see her again in the future, and hopefully happier too.

#3377 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

Good point: we have no idea how long the warp pad travel time is from homeworld to earth.

We also know from the series that there is no direct warp path from Homeworld to Earth (note that, without the Galaxy Warp, Earth was cut off), so Steven would've had to make stops/transfers along the way (even assuming they built a new Galaxy Warp in the last two years).

It's like someone travelling from Atlantis to Earth in Stargate; they'd have to go from Atlantis to Midway (where the Pegasus network ends and the Milky Way network begins), then dial from Midway to Earth. We just don't see that middle step because it's not plot-relevant.

#3378 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41994 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:43 AM

Good point: we have no idea how long the warp pad travel time is from homeworld to earth.

We also know from the series that there is no direct warp path from Homeworld to Earth (note that, without the Galaxy Warp, Earth was cut off), so Steven would've had to make stops/transfers along the way (even assuming they built a new Galaxy Warp in the last two years).

It's like someone travelling from Atlantis to Earth in Stargate; they'd have to go from Atlantis to Midway (where the Pegasus network ends and the Milky Way network begins), then dial from Midway to Earth. We just don't see that middle step because it's not plot-relevant.

Till the episode it was relevant. :)

Yeah, I think the scene was trying to imply they built a new one. It would make sense: as tough as steven is, long term living on homeworld isn't currently possible for a human. He would need at the very least a reliable supply chain, and a shower and toilet somewhere. Which makes sense in regards to where they put the new pad.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users