Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Nope. Forgot entirely, had to make another trip.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

How do we not have a Steven Universe thread?!

3420 replies to this topic

#3341 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2757 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:48 PM

"Alright, alright! I'll wash my hands!"

#3342 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17116 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:30 AM

Spinel is definitely inspired by early cartoons in general, but the whole "jobbed by an old-timey toon in a few seconds" thing does feel like someone had a bad day at Cuphead.  :)

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#3343 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36512 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Also, I can totally believe his mom would do that, yeah.

---Dave

Yeah... Just finished watching it and during that scene I groaned  "OMG once again this is all Pink's fault." Like she's just an absolutely terrible 'person'. Being Rose seemed to change her for the better, but Pink is probably the worst character in the series.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#3344 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28752 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

*Imagining a Tarn version of 'Other Friends'.*

#3345 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8752 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:18 PM

Tarn?

Btw, reset Pearl only latched on to Greg because he was the first one who talked to her?

And we still didn't get an origin for Lion. Not that it really matters since we know he died and Rose healed him but it would still be nice.

Also, I expect the Injector was a 'self destruct' button for the garden that Spinel just removed to use.

Hmm, technically any gem could do all the stretchy stuff she could do. Garnet did it before with weird tentacle arms in that... secret group ep. But I guess it's the mindset of the gem so be that flexible.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3346 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17116 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, one of my comments while watching was, "How long before Steven has paid for all of his mother's sins?"  Seriously, you could make an entire next season out of just cleaning up Pink's debris.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#3347 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36512 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

I think part of my issue here is... why? Its such an ungodly terrible thing, and we only see it from Spinel's view.. but still... WHY would Pink just sorta abandon her like that?

Also I want to note that, even reformed White Diamond is still creepy as all hug. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Steven just wants to keep his distance from her. Yellow and Blue aren't so bad, imo. But White... white I kinda feel like I'd want a restraining order on.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#3348 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6233 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

At a guess, she planned to come back after a while (despite clearly being kind of tired of Spinel), but once she was on Earth and having adventures, she forgot about her entirely.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#3349 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8752 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:00 AM

Probably Gem culture. Spinel is an object, a toy, not a person, etc. Same thing with Pearl, which was like a digital secretary thing.

Pink was 'maturing' by wanting her own colony and consciously decided it was time to leave behind her childish ways and assume responsibility. It meant leaving behind her 'toy'.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3350 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36512 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:26 AM

Okay, so after rewatching 'Other Friends' and sleeping on it, I am awakened with a question running through my head.

I am wondering, does the fact that Steven (and maybe the other gems as well) Not know who she is, change Spinel's plans? I watch the first half of that song, and I realize: Spinel is not actually attacking anyone. She's being forceful and agresive, but she's playing with them... more or less. She's angry and upset, but she doesn't come out swinging with the rejuvinator, she doesn't really start up the Injector till afterwards. Even the song at this point is just her asking questions. Then Steven asks "Who is she?" and she more or less gets the answer to those questions and that is when she really starts to attack.

So.. I am wondering... Is Spinal deliberatly holding back? She's came to Earth to get her, well justified, revenge on Pink... but we know from the end that she doesn't know WHY she wants to hurt Steven and his friends or do what she does... So... I kinda theorize that Maybe Spinal is actually somewhat kinda earnest... in her own currently broken way... of wanting to meet and get to know Pink Diamond's 'other friends'? Even in her reset form she's kinda overbearing and obsessive with her function... Maybe she's kinda hoping for a reason... any reason... to NOT go ahead for her plan for revenge, maybe hoping to hear that Pink didn't completely forget about her and leave her to rot. That maybe there actually WAS just some sorta misunderstanding or something... Its why she wants to know what they and Pink did together. Then Steven reveals that no, He nor do most of them know who she is. Any hope that Spinal might have been clinging to is completely dashed and that is when she fully commits to her plan to destory Pink's Colony (the thing that took Pink away from her) and hurt Steven becuase she couldn't do anything to Pink Diamond as she goes from wanting to meet them to wanting to beat them.

Would the movie have turned out somewhat differently, if Pink Diamond wasn't a completely terrible person and had told anyone about about Spinal? Pearl would of  been easiest (its clear that she doesn't know what Pink did just that they used to be togeather) "Oh... um.. Hey Spinel... Yeah, Pink Diamond TOTALLY didn't mean to forget about you. It's just that we got to Earth, and things got complicated REALLY quick... I'm sure if she was hear she'd apologize..."

Edited by Shadewing, 05 September 2019 - 03:36 AM.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#3351 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 13981 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

I'd prefer to think that Pink didn't forget entirely about Spinel, life just got crazy and she felt guilty/awkward about going back. Like keeping touch with a childhood friend. "Oh, I'll totally send her a message tomorrow!" turns into "I don't know if I should, she probably went back to Homeworld by now...." Maybe she was afraid what would happen to Spinel, or thought she wouldn't understand once Pink started to rebel. I like to think that it's been nagging at the back of her mind, but it might make her a more horrible gem if she never even tried checking in on Spinel.

#3352 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8752 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

Spinel actually said she wanted to hurt Steven when she came to the planet. It was during the part when she held him at arms length, following up by saying she wants to kill him more after meeting him.

Just noting during the song part where Spinel says "who am I, who am I, do you even know what you're saying", she was doing a really well animated bounce walk downward.

Also, "I'm the loser of the game you didn't know you were playing" is a powerful line.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#3353 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4141 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

At a guess, she planned to come back after a while (despite clearly being kind of tired of Spinel), but once she was on Earth and having adventures, she forgot about her entirely.

There is another thing,  if she brought Spinel to Earth would she have ever been able to masquerade as a Quartz? As we saw with Steven, Spinel got upset just at him wanting to go off alone to help Amethyst.  Now imagine her trying to constantly follow Rose. Spinels are apparently not common, and a pink one with a perfect heart cut even more so.  Her tagging along like a puppy would have been a dead give away something was up.  Not to mention if Pink did try to retrieve her after becoming Rose, there is a very good chance Spinel would have seen right through the disguise and then wrecked everything.

Then you have that Pink may have been worried Spinel would have been hurt or shattered if she did bring her her back.  As far as Pink knew, Spinel was a silly little playmate and child at best, and not a combatant.  We of course got to see how dangerous Spinel could be, but Pink's only contact with her was playing in the garden, where she was obviously not a warrior.

Yeah the reason Pink left her there was horrible, but I can see why she may have never gotten back to her, especially with the portals all being wrecked after the war.  Maybe one of the reasons Rose tried to raise Amethyst like a daughter in some ways was because she reminded her of Spinel and wanted to do a better job with an other young, child-like gem.

Edited by Monocle, 05 September 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#3354 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28752 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

*Checks no one is looking.

Takes Gem waifu list out of pocket.

Writes 'Spinel' above Lapis and Pearl.*

#3355 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8752 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

Hey, Steg had the enhanced Pink ability to float other people. He was levitating Amethyst, Pearl, Opal, Lion with a soft glow.

Stevonnie didn't exhibit any extra abilities, as far as I could remember.

Oh, we didn't see the Ruby squad either, aw.

Edit - saw some comments on YouTube that point to Marceline's Everything Stays song written by Rebecca Sugar is Spinel's story.

Edited by Fero McPigletron, 06 September 2019 - 12:54 PM.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#3356 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42481 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

If there's a season 6, it pretty nuch has to start with steven interogatting pearl about everything else pink diamond did so they can have an idea what's coming next.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#3357 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8752 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

You'd think they'd have done that already in the 2 year time skip. That's why we don't get the story of Lion, cuz they probably already addressed it, aw

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#3358 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42481 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

Alright, so I watched last night, and had some time to digest it: Did... the events of the movie really happen? I mean, obvious argument "official product, so it's canon." but...

Spinel managed to get a WMD and figure out where earth was AND travel all the way there in about three minutes. After standing, alone, in a forgotten ruin, for millennia. In that same time span, she functionally went from being a living toy, to a sapient being. I don't think it actually happened, and was literally just a vehicle to recap the series.

Edit: oh yeah, lemme know if I need to go back and put anything into spoilers, please.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 07 September 2019 - 08:12 AM.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#3359 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28752 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

Funnily enough, this collides with my pre-air theory that she'd be some kind of elite gem soldier that was disgusted by what Steven had done and so would use her arsenal to try and kill him.

#3360 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17116 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

As someone else suggested, the injector was probably already at the garden, intended as a "wipe it clean for reuse" mechanism.  And since wiping it clean would be followed by going elsewhere, why not have the injector equipped with FTL?  The only real flaw in that idea is that we saw that Pink-era FTL was "Oh, it'll only be a few decades," but that can be explained by Pearl not being aware of a new generation of much faster FTL having come into use in certain applications already.  Or by putting the garden fairly near Earth.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users