Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (21 September 2019 - 08:41 PM)

speaking of geese, saw some videos for this game on the Switch: https://www.goose.game/

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2019 - 06:41 PM)

Triple changer, turns from ashes to dust.

@  Rycochet : (21 September 2019 - 05:22 PM)

To Ashens we transform! We turn into a human, a brown couch and a heap of tat.

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

Photo

Nintendo Switch

3345 replies to this topic

#41 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3259 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

If they want the hardware power and attractiveness to third-party developers, they're going to have to dump the GameCube-based architecture, with its PowerPC processor and all that, that Nintendo have used the last three generation. However, that would rule out backwards compatibility, and to be honest, I don't think Nintendo can be all that bothered to wonder outside their comfort zone.

I know you're presenting this as a bad thing, but I think backwards compatibility is something that we as consumers should be expecting in this day and age.
Oh, believe me, I really like backwards compatibility, and basically it's a very important feature for me (I still have a launch-model PS3, for example). It's just that I don't see how the NX can incorporate it without sticking to dead-end PowerPC processors, unfortunately.

Anyway, my various NX predictions in order of pessimism:
1. It'll be a Nintendo-branded, ARM-based Android tablet with a built in Amiibo reader. That also connects to televisions.
2. It's actually Quality of Life, some health/lifestyle device rather than a traditional console.
3. It'll be an overlocked Wii U with more RAM, in a different case, with a different gimmick based controller which has a massmarket appeal. (What the Wii was to the GameCube, basically.)
4. It's a competitive console to take on the PS4 and Xbone, but with a jawdropping unexpected twist.
5. It'll be a UFO-shaped decive which hovers over your head while projecting 4K holograms onto special Nintendo wallpaper for your living room.
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#42 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

Uh... I still don't want to use a touch screen to play games.

Don't get me wrong, it was innovative, wildly successful, and offered a wide range of "never before conceived" control schemes and methods which let nintendo do stuff that changed how we interfaced with our devices.

You still have to touch the screen you use. We were smack in the middle of an age of germaphobia before: and now everyone knows that no matter how hard you try, your hands are never, EVER clean.

I'm honestly confused. In terms of worry about germs, how is a touchscreen worse than buttons, a d-pad, and a joystick? You have to touch those, too.

I will say, though, that while the DS was a great system, some titles did suffer from having touchscreen control be required, rather than optional. For instance, I love Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. It's an A+, 10/10 title, and very possibly my favorite entry in the whole Castlevania series. Still, the touchscreen-based "magic seal" system you had to use every time you defeated a boss was an enormous pain in the ass. Even worse were the DS Legend of Zelda games. I tried hard to like them, but I couldn't get past my dislike for the mandatory touchscreen controls, and I couldn't (and still don't) understand why they didn't have an option for traditional controls. I think the best examples of highly integrated touchscreen control were games that simply wouldn't have worked without it. Metroid Prime: Hunters, with it's touchscreen-based aiming, is one, as are the Etrian Odyssey games with their focus on mapping.

Edited by Shadowmask, 04 July 2015 - 05:55 PM.

"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#43 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

Honestly backwards compatibility just limits consoles. I'd be perfectly happy without it.

My impression was that the PlayStation 2 and the original DS are, so far, the two most successful dedicated gaming systems of all time, and they're both backwards-compatible with their predecessors. How were they limited by their backwards-compatibility?

#44 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42044 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, it was innovative, wildly successful, and offered a wide range of "never before conceived" control schemes and methods which let nintendo do stuff that changed how we interfaced with our devices.

You still have to touch the screen you use. We were smack in the middle of an age of germaphobia before: and now everyone knows that no matter how hard you try, your hands are never, EVER clean.

I'm honestly confused. In terms of worry about germs, how is a touchscreen worse than buttons, a d-pad, and a joystick? You have to touch those, too.

Cause no matter how many times you wash your hands, or use sanitizer, or just refuse to touch anything else at all... you will ALWAYS leave greasy smears of finger prints on your touch screens.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 04 July 2015 - 06:08 PM.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#45 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11027 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

Cause no matter how many times you wash your hands, or use sanitizer, or just refuse to touch anything else at all... you will ALWAYS leave greasy smears of finger prints on your touch screens.

Then... use a stylus?

#46 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Honestly backwards compatibility just limits consoles. I'd be perfectly happy without it.

My impression was that the PlayStation 2 and the original DS are, so far, the two most successful dedicated gaming systems of all time, and they're both backwards-compatible with their predecessors. How were they limited by their backwards-compatibility?

I'm not talking about sales. I'm talking about hardware. It sometimes limits the hardware.

You have to retain the old hardware to properly be backwards compatible or else you have to rely on software to do it like XBox. Then you only have a select few titles that work. As Anonymous X said, Nintendo really needs to ditch the Power PC stuff sometime. 

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#47 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42044 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

Then... use a stylus?

But it's a toooouuuucccchhh screeeennn.

Kidding. I've just yet to find a stylus that actually works as well as a finger. And I find the entire concept of using the same screen you look through as your input to be incredibly silly.

#48 Princess Viola

Princess Viola

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Supporter
  • 27511 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

2. It's actually Quality of Life, some health/lifestyle device rather than a traditional console.

Hasn't Nintendo already confirmed the NX and their QoL device are different things.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#49 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

http://www.gamespot....c/1100-6428604/

I pretty much expect the NX to be like the DS. It was an alternate to the GBA at the time. An experiment. If the NX works then it will become the main console.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#50 Princess Viola

Princess Viola

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Supporter
  • 27511 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

All I'll say about the NX is if it's region-locked, I will not buy it nor any other Nintendo hardware again.

And if it's not region-locked but NoA continues their shenanigans with not releasing games here, then I will only import games from Europe. I don't care if it will cost more money, I will not give NoA a single cent until they shape up.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#51 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6275 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

How will Iwata's death and opening for CEO affect NX then?

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#52 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Probably not affect it at all since those wheels are in motion. 

The only way it would affect it is if everyone under Iwata was against the NX. Then they could just halt the whole project and go another direction.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#53 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9080 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

I guess Square Enix has revealed that Dragon Quest X and XI are headed to the NX. Odd they would say so with no real idea what the NX is publicly.

#54 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

I mean, the DQXI reveal doesn't really tell us anything about the NX other than "it's a machine that plays video games."

#55 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4561 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Does show more support than what SquareEnix has been giving the WiiU, though.

#56 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6275 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:30 AM

Now that Nintendo lost the ZombiU exclusivity I DEMAND they fund Dead Space 4! I don't care if it's exclusive to Nintendo platforms like say NX I've got to know how it ends! and since EA got carried away with co-op nonsense and that Call of Duty crap, we can trust Nintendo to keep the series on the right track.

#57 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

It doesn't work that way.

The only way Nintendo would have 100% control over it is if it was a first party license. If they paid for Dead Space, EA would be the one designing it.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#58 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6275 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

Nuts.

Too bad about Dead Space and Resident Evil, I dread the day games need to sell ten million copies to make a profit.

By then single players will be rare.

Edited by Whirl Maximus, 03 August 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#59 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42044 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

Nuts.

Too bad about Dead Space and Resident Evil, I dread the day games need to sell ten million copies to make a profit.

By then single players will be rare.

Dedicated single player games are already getting rare. Most triple A titles come with either a focus on multiplayer (and thus a seriously gimped single player campaign.) or the company just shoots straight for the rather lucrative MMO market.

Course, there are a lot of game makers other than the big name dev studios... even I am sitting here waiting for my birthday to pre-order fallout 4.

#60 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

That list of supposed NX launch titles smells like bullshit, especially given that they list a title by Rare, which is currently owned by Microsoft.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users