Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:52 AM)

The recent ongoing series didn't start until what, 2013?

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:51 AM)

Then was continued as a five-issue mini-series ("Local Heroes"), then came a 16-issue maxi-series ("The Dark Age"), plus a couple of standalone specials and two-parters...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:50 AM)

It started out as a series, but due to Busiek's health problems (?), it was put on hold after six issues, then got relaunched with a new #1, had several delays (again because of Busiek's health issues), was discontinued after #22...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:49 AM)

I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of Astro City becoming a series of graphic novels now. I mean, it's not like it's always been a steady ongoing series.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

Photo

Nintendo Switch

2613 replies to this topic

#21 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

If Sonic Team could be trusted, I'd say this would be a perfect opportunity to make a Sonic Adventure-esque game with a mini Chao Garden for the mobile portion.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#22 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3170 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

If they want the hardware power and attractiveness to third-party developers, they're going to have to dump the GameCube-based architecture, with its PowerPC processor and all that, that Nintendo have used the last three generation. However, that would rule out backwards compatibility, and to be honest, I don't think Nintendo can be all that bothered to wonder outside their comfort zone.

QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#23 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40701 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

If they want the hardware power and attractiveness to third-party developers, they're going to have to dump the GameCube-based architecture, with its PowerPC processor and all that, that Nintendo have used the last three generation. However, that would rule out backwards compatibility, and to be honest, I don't think Nintendo can be all that bothered to wonder outside their comfort zone.

They don't have to wander outside their comfort zone. With every new console, they make us re-buy virtual console titles. No matter how many generations pass, or how powerful the system is, everyone seems to want roms of 8 and 16 bit games. Functionally, they don't need to innovate, they have the rights to print money so long as they keep dragging their nes/snes/64 library up with them.

#24 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

I know you're presenting this as a bad thing, but I think backwards compatibility is something that we as consumers should be expecting in this day and age.
"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#25 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51399 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

It's something we should be demanding certainly but I don't think, given the past few consoles, it's something we should be *expecting* at this point.

card-strongarm.jpg

#26 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:59 PM

Honestly backwards compatibility just limits consoles. I'd be perfectly happy without it.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#27 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29361 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

Welp no Zelda on the WiiU guess I bought a paper weight with only 7 titles I planed on buying on the system one of them is gone I know it.

the 6 titles are

Smash Bros Out

Bayenetta 2 Out

Wolly world Soon

Mario Maker Soon

Xenoblade Chronicles X Soon

Star Fox ...Maybe?

Zelda would have been my 7th must own

What a waste of money

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#28 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

Welp no Zelda on the WiiU guess I bought a paper weight with only 7 titles I planed on buying on the system one of them is gone I know it.

the 6 titles are

Smash Bros Out

Bayenetta 2 Out

Wolly world Soon

Mario Maker Soon

Xenoblade Chronicles X Soon

Star Fox ...Maybe?

Zelda would have been my 7th must own

What a waste of money

have they said anything official about that? Did I miss something?

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#29 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6139 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Nothing official but the rumor goes NX will be released in mid 2016 because initial manufacturing is rumored to begin this October which in turn means Zelda U's definitive edition will be on NX.

Naturally this rumored initial production will be of customized AMD Puma and we can have a shiny new console next year, and actual rumored games like B:AK: Batwing Edition and Pikmin 4K the year after.

:drunk

Edited by Whirl Maximus, 03 July 2015 - 09:20 AM.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#30 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8740 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

So your just assuming it's going to jump ship. Really if they are just now approaching 3rd parties I'd imagine we the closest the NX will be out would be Holiday season 2016. But again assumptions. Nobody has any concrete news yet on the NX. So how about we all cool our jets on the sky falling on Zelda Wii U.

#31 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10777 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Actually if the production numbers were anywhere close to accurate *which I seriously doubt*, even if they started production in 2016... Wouldn't be out till 2017 anyways.

#32 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29361 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

The writings on the wall with Zelda U a no show at E3 and all the latest news you would have to be a blind mole rat living in Antarctica not see what happened

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#33 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6139 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

So your just assuming it's going to jump ship. Really if they are just now approaching 3rd parties I'd imagine we the closest the NX will be out would be Holiday season 2016. But again assumptions. Nobody has any concrete news yet on the NX. So how about we all cool our jets on the sky falling on Zelda Wii U.

Not assuming anything myself just commenting on the source: Rumors. Flipping RUMORS.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#34 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

ah ok.

My prediction is that Zelda U will release for the NX as well. At the earliest, as was said above, if devs started right now, the earliest they could have product ready is Holiday 2016.

What generally happens during console transitions is that they publishers look at games that are already in development and have them adjust their focus and begin developing for the next system instead.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#35 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 25452 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

The writings on the wall with Zelda U a no show at E3 and all the latest news you would have to be a blind mole rat living in Antarctica not see what happened

not to be rude, but we knew zelda u wasn't going to be at E3 months ago

if you don't think zelda will be on the wii u, you're delusional. at the worst, it'll be a twilight princess situation. released on wii u and as a launch title for nx

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#36 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29361 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

Alright look Im a betting man I bet that Zelda U will not be coming to Wii U

If it does come out on the Wii U aka I must have the disk in my hands I will eat one can of any vegetable you want and let me tell you loathe veggies as in I never eat any of them at all there gross slimy and taste horrible

Edited by tec, 03 July 2015 - 11:30 PM.

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#37 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10777 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

Considering the mobile market is what it is...

I thought this was an interesting blast from the past.. 

http://www.eurogamer...um/thread/16847

#38 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

That was a pretty funny troll tantrum. Though if Nintendo had released a DS shaped like Pikachu, it probably would've sold tons.
"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#39 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10777 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:30 AM

I just found the whole touchscreen thing hilarious how no one wanted to use a touchscreen to play games.... >.> <.<

#40 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40701 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

Uh... I still don't want to use a touch screen to play games.

Don't get me wrong, it was innovative, wildly successful, and offered a wide range of "never before conceived" control schemes and methods which let nintendo do stuff that changed how we interfaced with our devices.

You still have to touch the screen you use. We were smack in the middle of an age of germaphobia before: and now everyone knows that no matter how hard you try, your hands are never, EVER clean.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users