Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rycochet : (26 June 2017 - 06:50 PM)

Because people want some approximation of the look and feel of the vintage console and playing experience? It's not like the Mini-Snes is being produced instead of these games being released on the switch VC, that'll happen eventually anyway

@  RichardT1977 : (26 June 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Sega did it with some of their Genesis titles for the PS3 and XBox 360, and Midway did the same. Several times.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 June 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Instead of making classic consoles with classic games built in, why not release those games in classic sets for the Switch?

@  Rycochet : (26 June 2017 - 06:25 PM)

The fate of 2002 MOTU still makes me sad, I loved that line.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 June 2017 - 05:59 PM)

Bah. There are many many toys rarer than Movieverse toys. Any character that wasn't He-Man or Skeletor for instance! :)

@  Paladin : (26 June 2017 - 05:16 PM)

Nintendo consoles are the only things rarer than new waves of Movieverse toys.

@  Telly : (26 June 2017 - 04:12 PM)

*nevermind*

@  TM2-Megatron : (26 June 2017 - 03:48 PM)

Nintendo claims they'll be producing "significantly more" units of the SNES, so maybe there's a chance. It'd be better this time if they just took pre-orders, and based their production on that

@  Dracula : (26 June 2017 - 03:46 PM)

Nobody is getting that.

@  Bass X0 : (26 June 2017 - 03:10 PM)

Anyone getting the SNES Classic with StarFox 2?

@  RichardT1977 : (26 June 2017 - 01:56 PM)

Office: Submarine!

@  Robowang : (26 June 2017 - 01:52 PM)

SUBMARINE ACTION

@  Robowang : (26 June 2017 - 01:51 PM)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172749564060?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

@  Arazyr : (26 June 2017 - 11:03 AM)

Preorders just got posted at BBTS...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (26 June 2017 - 09:52 AM)

I have yet to see any TR wave 5 items at retail in my area, only in Internet reports from overseas.

@  unluckiness : (26 June 2017 - 09:28 AM)

They're clogging shelves here, which is odd. I expected the Generations toys to be somewhat cut down in favor of movie stuff.

@  Pennpenn : (26 June 2017 - 08:11 AM)

I dunno, I got a bunch of "Blitzwing and Octone cosplaying as Megatron and Optimus Prime" in my local TRU, does that help?

@  Paladin : (26 June 2017 - 07:52 AM)

so will TitanReturns Blitzwing & Octone ever actually come out or have they just vanished into neverland?

@  Dekafox : (26 June 2017 - 07:10 AM)

With explosions instead of pouches and pockets.

@  Nevermore : (26 June 2017 - 02:45 AM)

Michael Bay is the Rob Liefeld of the movie industry.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 June 2017 - 02:25 AM)

I took a mega-deuce once. It was quite the epic battle.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 June 2017 - 02:01 AM)

Now if we could explode Justin Bieber, I might pay to watch it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 June 2017 - 11:47 PM)

Bieber isn't nearly as over-the-top as explosions director.

@  Bass X0 : (25 June 2017 - 11:35 PM)

Michael Bay is Justin Bieber of the movie industry- everyone makes fun out of his over- the- top -style but he keeps pulling in huge amounts of money

@  Noideaforaname : (25 June 2017 - 11:03 PM)

<--- stifled laughter

@  Sean Whitmore : (25 June 2017 - 10:56 PM)

Ah crap, I typed that into the chat thing and not the search field. Disregard.

@  Sean Whitmore : (25 June 2017 - 10:55 PM)

Twin peak

@  Noideaforaname : (25 June 2017 - 07:29 PM)

Nitro Ze-us, Nitro Ze-us! Nitro Ze-us, Nitro Ze-us, ooooh Nitro Ze-us!

@  Patchouli Kn... : (25 June 2017 - 07:26 PM)

Exactly what I was going for!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 June 2017 - 07:25 PM)

Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius

@  Patchouli Kn... : (25 June 2017 - 07:10 PM)

Ah.

@  Dracula : (25 June 2017 - 07:07 PM)

It's pronounced like Megadeus

@  Patchouli Kn... : (25 June 2017 - 06:59 PM)

Is the "Zeus" pronounced like "Zoose" or "Zayus?"

@  Dracula : (25 June 2017 - 05:47 PM)

sorry I saw the name and just got excited

@  Dracula : (25 June 2017 - 05:47 PM)

NITRO ZEUS

@  Paladin : (25 June 2017 - 06:57 AM)

nobody here has moved past Wave 1. maybe if they hadn't crammed it with repaints....

@  Noideaforaname : (25 June 2017 - 06:46 AM)

Nitro's gonna be a pain in the butt to find, isn't he?

@  Pennpenn : (25 June 2017 - 03:51 AM)

Actually, on the subject of TLK toys, the voyager Nitro Zues or whatver looks pretty good. If I see it cheap I might give it to the Thunderwing head.

@  Pennpenn : (24 June 2017 - 09:58 PM)

Been playing a bit of Saints Row 4 and honestly the Blast Blast is hilariously overpowered.

@  Rycochet : (24 June 2017 - 05:28 PM)

And a better headsculpt.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2017 - 05:23 PM)

It actually has half decent gimmicks too.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2017 - 04:03 PM)

It's still crap but at least it takes up less space.

@  Rycochet : (24 June 2017 - 10:31 AM)

I'd rather have Armada Sideswipe than Alternator Sideswipe.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 June 2017 - 09:50 AM)

What he's really doing is buying all the sideswipe, so that after the apocolypse.. He'll have an army to take ove the world!

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2017 - 09:00 AM)

We could be taking this the wrong way. What if this person means to sacrifice their own money to prevent Armada Sideswipes from falling into the hands of those who don't know better?

@  Rycochet : (24 June 2017 - 06:26 AM)

People say silly things online all the time, usually followed by a smilie or a wink. Take away the context and they go from being a joke to absurd hyperbole.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2017 - 06:07 AM)

But that would miss the entire point of hyperbole.

@  Pennpenn : (24 June 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Well that's a stupid attitude from someone who would waste a lot of money. I mean, they should just... not buy movie toys?

@  Bass X0 : (24 June 2017 - 04:52 AM)

Most insane thing I read of the day: "I would rather buy 100 Armada Sideswipes and PRiD Airachnids than buy any Bayformers crap"

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2017 - 06:10 PM)

His dialogue is full of allusions to his infamous lookalike, though sometimes as subversions. Oh, and sometimes he sings Karaoke. Check his rendition of "My Way", it's on Youtube.

Photo

Nintendo Switch

1070 replies to this topic

#1 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 41261 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:35 AM

http://www.siliconer...artphone-games/

Mobile phone games maker DeNA and Nintendo have entered a “business and capital alliance for the joint development and operation of gaming applications for smart devices” the two companies announced today.

The two companies believe they can create new business opportunities by combining their strengths, and will jointly operate new game applications developed specifically for smart devices. These applications will feature Nintendo IP.

In addition to developing and operating smartphone games together, DeNA and Nintendo will also develop a new “core system,” which they say will be compatible with a variety of smartphones and tablets, as well as Nintendo’s own dedicated videogame platforms. A new membership service utilizing this system will launch in Fall 2015.

As part of their new partnership, DeNA is to allocate 15,081,000 of its treasury shares (corresponding to 10.0% of its issued shares, having a total value of about 22 billion yen) to Nintendo by means of a third-party allocation, and Nintendo is to acquire such shares in DeNa. At the same time, Nintendo is to allocate 1,759,400 of its treasury shares (corresponding to 1.24% of its issues shares, having a total value of about 22 billion yen) to DeNA, and DeNA is to acquire such shares in Nintendo.

Nintendo says this new alliance is not expected to have any effect on its business performance for the remainder of the fiscal year, which ends March 31st, 2015. “The expected impact upon future business performance is to be reflected in the forecasts of financial results for the next fiscal year onwards,” the company said in a statement.

http://www.siliconer...m-codenamed-nx/

Nintendo may be teaming up with DeNA to create games for smartphones, but that doesn’t mean they intend to stop creating games for dedicated videogame platforms. In fact, their next dedicated videogame hardware is codenamed “NX,” company president Satoru Iwata revealed at a press event today.

Iwata said it is currently too early to reveal details on NX, but that more details on this device will be shared next year. He did not provide any further details regarding what shape the device would take, but has said in the past that Nintendo’s next home console and handheld will both share a similar architecture and operating system.

During the joint press conference with DeNA, Iwata clarified that Nintendo will not port videogames created for dedicated consoles to smart devices. He went on to say that Nintendo intends to use smartphone games to draw consumers to their dedicated videogame platforms, and that the company maintains its passion for dedicated game devices and game experiences that offer good value to customers.

Update: During a Q&A session, Iwata was asked why the company chose to announce its next dedicated videogame console during a press conference about their partnership with DeNA. He replied that Nintendo chose to make the NX announcement so people would understand that Nintendo are not exiting the dedicated videogame business, and that the company “will be progressing with dedicated videogame devices with passion”.

My first reaction was that this is too early but actually the Wii U's been around for a while.

The console generations are kind of messed up now, though.

On the other hand, mobile Nintendo titles! Money money money!

Edited by Touch My Thighs, 20 October 2016 - 06:41 PM.

PM me if you're bored!

#2 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 3232 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:50 AM

I am really interested to see what Nintendo does on mobile, they've always been so good at developing with their platform's strengths and needs in mind and it'll be interesting to see how they tackle this environment. New hardware seems like a smart move, the Wii U has great games and all but it's had a few years and hasn't got the staying power for many more.

...Am I too optimistic to think this "new membership service" might lead to Nintendo actually having a proper account system for their digital stores? Them not having one certainly hasn't stopped me buying tons of games digitally, but it'd be nice.
Twitter       Tumblr
3DS Friend Code: 3952-7308-5185
Steam: Midboss
PSN: AWindfall

#3 Zyking

Zyking

Totally one of gods gifts to women!

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

Well, of course Nintendo is making something new, just like Sony and Microsoft already are working on their next thing. :)

Honestly I would not expect anything before late 2016 or even 2017 though, at the earliest. By then the Wii U has been out for 4 - 5 years, so its probably time.

As for the system itself, going by the info we have so far, I sense that cloud gaming is a huge part of this. Maybe streaming games to the different platforms, workload being 50 - 100% handled by dedicated rigs hosted by Nintendo? 

Edited by Zyking, 17 March 2015 - 06:49 AM.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it". - Upton Sinclair.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider than that!" - George Carlin.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". -John Lennon.

"A lot of things have been done in the name of Jesus that heaven does not approve of" - Jostein Gaarder.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by bungholes." -William Gibson

#4 Viola

Viola
  • Supporter
  • 21405 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:06 AM

will this finally give us a proper account system

450b1a84e913f442e40a2zjs7h.jpg

#5 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4259 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

DeNA?  The company that makes these crappy "pay to win" games for my phone?  This makes me...concerned.  "Free" app mobile gaming is the worst thing to happen to games since EA.

#6 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 5868 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Can't wait for Mario Legends and Metroid Battle Tactics.

#7 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in Austin!!

• Citizen
  • 7427 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

From what I've been hearing from GDC, the NX should be what I've been predicting. It will be a home console that you can plug you mobile device into to extend your mobile games to your television. The basic idea is that you can buy the next Zelda game (for example) play it on your home console. Unplug the mobile portion and take the game with you or at least take a portion of the game with you. Very similar but more advanced (obviously) than the Dreamcast memory card game things.

It's the next logical step for our industry.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#8 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 9881 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand this much... but it does offer an interesting option.

For example.. my mom loves puzzle games. Now imagine a Wii u RTS *hey.. wouldn't be that hard with the gamepad honestly* where she could play the puzzle game on her own, plug it into the game, and I get resources.

Or a Zelda game where you need to decode maps. *kinda like windwaker* You could either pay rupees to do it, or do it yourself in your free time on your phone.

Or.... possibly the best idea ever. Streetpass. -EVERYONE- has phones. People don't want to carry around their 3DS's, send the street pass data to their phone!

#9 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Apprentice Staff
  • 24523 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Eh. I'm holding out for the Constitution class.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#10 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Administrator
  • 33416 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

I wouldn't want to see a freemium model for things like Zelda puzzles, or anything...but I could definitely see some of that mobile swappability.  Play on your home console, then pick it up on your phone during your commute - almost like the WiiU tablet, but on a mobile network instead of just being in the same room.

Or if you play games on the phone, bring them home and pick up on the TV.  Or have the same games on the phone, but have a universal controller that works with all of them instead of the stupid and confusing and glitchy and inaccurate and accursed on-screen soft keys for mobile versions of "real" games.

Basically, Nintendo could take control of the mobile game market with some very smart integrations, partnerships (which they're apparently on top of!) and innovations.

post-649-0-22833100-1488828098.jpg

#11 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33370 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Everything I'm reading says that the mobile marketed games will be completely separate from what theyre doing on the main hardware.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#12 Anonymous X

Anonymous X

United Kingdom, RIP

• Citizen
  • 2838 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

I can see the NX being a joint successor to the Wii U and 3DS, a unified handheld and TV-based console while being more of the latter, while mobile development replaces Nintendo's dedicated handhelds. I wouldn't count on it having any sort of backwards compatibility, unfortunately.
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#13 Exatron

Exatron
  • Citizen
  • 1164 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Everything I'm reading says that the mobile marketed games will be completely separate from what theyre doing on the main hardware.

http://www.siliconer...artphone-games/

In addition to developing and operating smartphone games together, DeNA and Nintendo will also develop a new “core system,” which they say will be compatible with a variety of smartphones and tablets, as well as Nintendo’s own dedicated videogame platforms. A new membership service utilizing this system will launch in Fall 2015.

Iwata said it is currently too early to reveal details on NX, but that more details on this device will be shared next year. He did not provide any further details regarding what shape the device would take, but has said in the past that Nintendo’s next home console and handheld will both share a similar architecture and operating system.

During the joint press conference with DeNA, Iwata clarified that Nintendo will not port videogames created for dedicated consoles to smart devices. He went on to say that Nintendo intends to use smartphone games to draw consumers to their dedicated videogame platforms, and that the company maintains its passion for dedicated game devices and game experiences that offer good value to customers.

Looks pretty interconnected to me.

#14 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33370 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

That's referring to their network and Club Nintendo infrastructure. They're pretty adamant that a mobile device's games and a console's games should be treated differently.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#15 Viola

Viola
  • Supporter
  • 21405 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

From what I've been hearing from GDC, the NX should be what I've been predicting. It will be a home console that you can plug you mobile device into to extend your mobile games to your television. The basic idea is that you can buy the next Zelda game (for example) play it on your home console. Unplug the mobile portion and take the game with you or at least take a portion of the game with you. Very similar but more advanced (obviously) than the Dreamcast memory card game things.

but hasn't nintendo said that they're specifically not going to be doing that?

450b1a84e913f442e40a2zjs7h.jpg

#16 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in Austin!!

• Citizen
  • 7427 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

but hasn't nintendo said that they're specifically not going to be doing that?

From what I'm currently reading, these games are a bit different. They're small mobile games meant to advertise Nintendo's ips and hardware. What I'm hearing from GDC is that the next consoles from Nintendo will be able to connect together in a fashion like I explained above.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#17 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

#Style

• Retired Staff
  • 16516 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

So basically major title on the system, mobile companion title on the phone with additional functionality unlocked on both by owning/linking the hardware and your mobile device?

I also realize that if Nintendo releases mobile games that takes advantage of Amiibo support they will likely be literally printing money. Amiibos are already ridiculously successful with their own customer base, expanding that to a wider audience that won't even require them to first buy Nintendo Hardware and are used to the concept with Skylanders/Infinity?

Dosh. So much dosh.

Sig_zpsfabz5ynm.jpg

#18 Monique

Monique

Formerlly an evil skull

• Retired Staff
  • 8051 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Reminds me of an article a few years back about what Super Mario Brothers 3 would look like as a free to play mobile app.

http://www.nintendol...ay_mobile_title

It's not pretty

#19 Fenrir

Fenrir
  • Citizen
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

I would love to be able to SimCity a Kakariko Village, then take it home and play Zelda with it.

#20 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in Austin!!

• Citizen
  • 7427 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

This works with some of the rumors I've been hearing.

http://www.engadget....ndo-nx-android/

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users