Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Fake news, no shinobi.

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

Photo
- - - - -

Challenge of the Gobots Volume 2 now available!

Gobots Cartoons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 haywire

haywire

Secretly a Gobot in Disguse, don't tell anyone! :)

• Citizen
  • 1204 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

For those who might be interested, Challenge of the Gobots Volume 2 is now available from the WB. It's been a while since the first volume came out, this one seems to have shown up with very little fanfare.

I've managed to watch one episode so far, "Destroy All Guardians", written by Don Glut. Guess what the theme of the episode might be? (Hint: He also wrote G1 TF episodes like "Dinobot Island" and the GI Joe episode "Primordial Plot"...)

Anyway, just a heads up for any like-minded Gobot fans out there!

#2 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30669 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

Links and/or pics would be nice.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#3 Buster Darkwings

Buster Darkwings
  • Citizen
  • 3447 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

This would be it: http://www.wbshop.co...pe=&from=Search
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00TZF2N9C/
Glad this finally came out, although I haven't finished watching Volume 1 yet.  I assume that all of the TV series is now on DVD, so now we just need Battle of the Rock Lords (Blu-ray would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).

Edited by Buster Darkwings, 13 March 2015 - 11:29 PM.

#4 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30669 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

According to the description, this set contains the five-part "Battle for Gobotron" series opener that was previously released on its own DVD set before Volume 1 came out with the first 30 episodes that came after those five. So why would the set that would logically contain the second half of the series contain the series opener too?

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#5 haywire

haywire

Secretly a Gobot in Disguse, don't tell anyone! :)

• Citizen
  • 1204 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

It's actually the "Gobotron Saga", the second five-parter in the series, where they create the Power Suits and the Power Warrior, and reveal a lot of the Gobots origins. Even so, I'm not sure these are in any significant order among the sets.

EDIT: Yes, it appears that we have the entire tv series on DVD now. It would be nice to get a release of the Rock Lords movie to go with the set, but I'm pretty pleased with what's been released at this point.

Edited by haywire, 12 March 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#6 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23046 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Man, I really need to get around to watching these.

#7 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32739 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

Yeah I def want these as I never saw most of Gobots

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#8 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30669 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

I'm not expecting anything close to Swat Kats quality, but I am at least hoping it's not as bad as Superfriends.

Edited by Sabrblade, 12 March 2015 - 11:50 PM.

#9 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32739 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

Swatcats now thats another show Id like to see again that Tomcat was epic

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#10 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

I'm more curious to see that the Ruby-Spears, Toei-animated, Robo Force pilot/special has been included on this set. Never expected that to get an official release, although its inclusion on a Hanna-Barbera set doesn't bode well for other R-S series that have been mooted for Warner Archive.

#11 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

It was super-fun to watch the first 30 or so episodes last year when I finally got those DVDs, especially since I only got to watch a handful of them when I was a kid (whatever we could rent on VHS). I love the show - I feel like in terms of 80s Saturday-morning cartoons it's really just about on par with everything else that came out back then. None of the dumbest plots are any dumber than the dumbest plots in G1 - I think G1 just had the benefit of a better marketing team, character designer(s), and of course Budiansky. 

Anyway my volume 2 is coming in the mail today or tomorrow. "Battle of the Rock Lords" was still on YouTube in pretty good quality last time I checked, incidentally. 

Oh and for whatever wacky reason, Volume 2 comes with the one-off "Robo Force" cartoon special, for those of you who are into yet more obscure 80s properties. 

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#12 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9307 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

Holy pants!! They might have, like, ANNOUNCED this, or something. I mean, I asked on Twitter about it like a couple of WEEKS ago and they said they had nothing to announce!

#13 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

I'm more curious to see that the Ruby-Spears, Toei-animated, Robo Force pilot/special has been included on this set. Never expected that to get an official release, although its inclusion on a Hanna-Barbera set doesn't bode well for other R-S series that have been mooted for Warner Archive.

John Kent of Toyfinity is the current owner of the Robo Force property and was apparently consulted in some way. This is what he told me in email:

I've known about Warner's plans for a while now, just not what form it would take. Old rights are kinda funky... in this particular case, the rights for just the toon stayed with Ruby-Spears and were transfered to the WB when they bought Turner.

#14 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

Holy pants!! They might have, like, ANNOUNCED this, or something. I mean, I asked on Twitter about it like a couple of WEEKS ago and they said they had nothing to announce!

Right? I found out about this via the Challenge of the Gobots page on Wikipedia, of all places. I was googling it every few months to see if there was any news - I was afraid that it would be years between sets like it was in the past.

ALL OF TREASURES

#15 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9307 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

I mean I know these are quick-and-dirty made-to-order CD-Rs, but they're pretty nicely remastered and that's got to take enough time that you think they could have said something about it before now!

#16 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30669 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Okay, so I'm curious. What's this Robo Force special thing? Never heard of it until now.

#17 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

Okay, so I'm curious. What's this Robo Force special thing? Never heard of it until now.

A one-episode cartoon special to promote Robo Force, which was a short-lived toyline by Ideal from 1985 or so. The robots were big chunky things like Robbie or the one from Lost in Space, and since it was the 80s, there were a bunch of huge vehicles and a playset. 

The special (which I haven't seen) had pretty much the same voice cast as Transformers. 

Oh, and there's a revival of the property by Toyfinity that's currently on the market. 

Edited by Dracula, 13 March 2015 - 11:15 AM.

ALL OF TREASURES

#18 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

What Dracula said, and to add to that the airing of the special is practically legend. If the various reports are to be believed, it was aired ONCE with no prior promotion one afternoon, and even then only in certain areas. Much like TFTM, kids spent years swearing they saw often-horrific things in it, if anyone believed them that it existed in the first place.

I've only ever seen one copy of it floating around the internet, ripped from a VHS that someone had taped over a minute or so of, right in the middle of course. :D It was a Ruby-Spears (Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc) production using a lot of the same VAs that were in all the toy-toons of the time, so it's actually pretty high quality for what it is.

To finally have an official release of this in any format and capacity is really just shocking to me. Just yesterday I would have told you it was never going to happen. :)

Edited by Lukeblast, 13 March 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#19 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30669 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:21 PM

So for one such as myself who has never seen this GoBots cartoon but has A) had a curiosity about it, B) been a seasoned TF fan for most of his life, C) has casual fondness for some (but not all) retro cartoons, and C) very much enjoyed the TCC TransTech story that starred the six e-HOBBY GoBots, would this GoBots cartoon be worth at least a single viewing?

#20 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

Um. That's really a tough question. Gobots can be... an acquired taste. Basically, you're looking at the same sort of "plot of the week" stories that G1 engaged in, but played much safer. It's not unlike Rescue Bots in terms of actual violence and such. The animation usually comes up in discussions about the show, and with good reason. It's flat, kinda dull, and the character designs are VERY toyetic.

I've commented before that the Gobots toyline couldn't compete with Transformers because they played it safe--the same applies to the cartoon. It's not that it's terrible, it's just that it's VERY average for the time. It can have a certain charm, but I think a lot of it is going to depend just as much on your nostalgia for 80s cartoons as your actual Gobots nostalgia.

I think the best advice I can offer would be to see if you can track down an episode or two on Youtube or something. Try it before you buy it. If you don't dig it, you probably don't want 65 episodes of it. If you dig it... well, there's another 64 episodes just waiting for you. :D

Edited by Lukeblast, 14 March 2015 - 06:39 AM.