Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 June 2021 - 02:04 PM)

Fedex sucks

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you have a published work that you'd like to promote? (Or know someone who does)

community creative works

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60918 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

I know of several of us here who've had a book published or a song released or something to that effect. Getting the word out and getting off the ground can be tough so I wanted to put together a list of everyone here and do a bit of a plug for everyone to help get the word out.

In order to do that I'll need to know who you are and where to buy your stuff so reply below.

Name you wish to be mention/promoted as: Ex, Allspark name, author name, real name, whatever -- it would probably be a good idea to mention both your username here and your real name/published name so people in the community will know who you are

Type of work: book, music, live performance/play, etc

Link to where people can purchase your work or tickets, etc:

If you have any images or text you'd like to accompany is (within space limitations) feel free to include those as well.

Ultimately, I just wanted  to use what meager influence I have with the Allspark as a social media platform to give you guys a signal boost and help promote you guys and your accomplishments.

#2 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

With a little luck, I'll be revisiting this thread at this time next year.

#3 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

Darren "Fortress Ironhold" Blair -> Copperas Cove Leader-Press newspaper

"Shop The Insanity" edutainment column (section A) and movie review (section B) each Friday.

Note that my features are subscription-only; you can view a single issue online for free but beyond that you'll need a subscription. An online subscription is $36 / year for two issues a week.

I'm also working on a novella (which may become a light novel if I can find an illustrator); I'm halfway done with the final chapter, and should be done with draft revisions by this summer.

#4 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9966 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

I had a comic series published before but it's been discontinued, which sucks cuz I wasn't able to wrap up the mystery ghost story so I left the readers hanging. It was Free Spirits, a haunting with a Ladyhawke twist. The male ghost only appears when it's raining and the female ghost appears only when the lake waters are calm. I keep ending to have the story finished but need a manga artist. Also did Camp Big V, giant robot stuff. Also sucked that I couldn't keep writing it cuz I intended to homage each Beast Wars character as an evil giant robot.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#5 HellCat

HellCat
  • Citizen
  • 29756 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

My words were pinched from Wikipedia to use in a Japanese Gundam SEED book. Does that count?

#6 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

Oh wow HellCat, I didn't know I was talking to a published author! You've made it now bruv!

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#7 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

This is very cool of you.

I, Dusty Stowe, have a rock and roll music band. We're called Retronym. I'm the co-lead singer/songwriter, guitar player, and producer/engineer. We released our debut album, Flores, last year. We're very proud of it. It can be streamed/bought here: https://retronymmusic.bandcamp.com/

You can also check us out on Facebook, if you like. https://www.facebook.com/retronymmusic

It's pay what you want, including zero dollars. We're just happy to have people hear it. Though if you want to give us money, we would love you forever.

We're located in Los Angeles. If there are any Allsparkers in the area, let me know and I'll see about getting discounted tickets to our next show.

#8 Random Items

Random Items

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:14 PM

Am I totally out to lunch, Dusty, or did you have another band a few years back called Dog Star or something along those lines...?

#9 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:22 PM

You must be totally out to lunch. Dog Star is a good band name though.

(I've been in other bands, but I don't think I ever promoted them or anything around here.)

Edited by Dustybot, 21 February 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#10 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60918 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, I guess I should be clear about my intent here. If you've had stuff that has appeared in print or other mediums, it's not that it's not cool... but my main goal here is to showcase some stuff that constitute as a completed project that you're wanting to promote. 

For example, I've got 2 Allsparkers that, via facebook, were announcing and promoting their novels (or novelas) and I wanted to get the word out for them. 

I also know that people have posted about their projects here in the past and wanted to include everyone. So things like having a quote or portion of your writing appear in a published work or by having anonymous by lines or have posted in blogs/news publications/what have you.. that's really not the focus of this particular endeavor. 

Dusty's example is more what is in line with what I had in mind. 

Of course, feel free to talk about, discuss or indulge in whatever you want to promote.. it's just I don't want to imply that everyone mentioned in here will be showcased because it might not meet the above criteria. 

#11 RackhamTheBugbear

RackhamTheBugbear

Have you seen a purple bard around here?

• Citizen
  • 1847 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

Well, I have a friend who is publishing a book series called Altered World (soon to be changed to Agent of Argyre). I've been helping with promoting his blog (http://jeremyvarner.com/blog/view/) which includes a number of additional resources for people including material related to his book's world, writing tips for beginners and people looking to self publish, and some social commentary related to his work. The first two books in the Agent series are Shards of Glass and A Patchwork Soul, with a third being published sometime in the next year. All of the books can be found on the book page of his blog site for now with links to various ebook store pages.

Name: Jeremy Varner
        Link to Books: http://jeremyvarner.com/blog/work/
        Description: Ever feel a little… different? Maybe you are and don’t know it yet. You could be an Alter, a creature of legend lost in the gene-pool until recently.

<div style="text-align:center">Look, look... I'm going to be honest with you. 99 percent of everything I say and create is a reference.</b><p>Also apparently I sound like Dusty Rhodes.</div>

#12 Random Items

Random Items

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

(I've been in other bands, but I don't think I ever promoted them or anything around here.)

I think it was actually something I heard about when Corvus had a forum on his site, like ten years ago. One of the users shared a five-song demo that was really good, and I played a track or two from it on my old radio show back then. Might've been someone else, though! It's an old, fuzzy memory.

#13 Random Items

Random Items

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Also, can't remember the username, but I know Stephen Day is one of our users. I have a copy of his novel 'Arcane' but I'm ashamed to admit I haven't yet read it.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0615589189

#14 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

I think it was actually something I heard about when Corvus had a forum on his site, like ten years ago. One of the users shared a five-song demo that was really good, and I played a track or two from it on my old radio show back then. Might've been someone else, though! It's an old, fuzzy memory.

Oh! That WAS probably me. I was in a band called Starfire that made an EP about a decade ago. Much younger Dusty thanks you for the radio airplay!

#15 Random Items

Random Items

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

THAT WAS IT! I knew 'Star' was in the name somewhere.

Dogstar was the band Keanu Reeves played bass in.

#16 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

I've only had a few articles I've written published in some local newspapers and internet LGBT sites dealing with kinkster topics.  I don't think I can link them here though.

#17 HellCat

HellCat
  • Citizen
  • 29756 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:38 AM

Oh wow HellCat, I didn't know I was talking to a published author! You've made it now bruv!

It was slightly bizarre. Apparently who ever does the dust jackets for Kadokawa uses Google a lot. I was mostly just chuffed it was pinched for use in about the only decent SEED production in over a decade.

#18 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4280 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

I've got two GI Joe mini-books on Amazon's Kindle Worlds:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=cobra reborn

http://www.amazon.co...1V1030P3Y65H9J6

#19 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 3051 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

A friend of mine, James Eatock, published an excellent unofficial guide for 80's He-Man cartoon and used to publish a SUPERB magazine dedicated to 80's animation called Cereal: Geek:

http://www.cerealgeek.com/

http://www.bustatoon...guide/guide.htm

You can still buy the issues and the guide.  :)

Edited by D.M, 22 February 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#20 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

I have my album I released last year:

https://itunes.apple...766?i=925571786 - itunes link

https://play.spotify...utm_medium=open - Spotify link

http://www.amazon.co...&search-type=ss - Amazon.com link

My contacts:

https://www.facebook.com/haydcmusic - Facebook Obviously