Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo
542 replies to this topic

#1 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9726 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:52 AM

I figured we could use an Amiibo centric thread since we'll soon be branching over more than a few games and they aren't tied to one particular system.

So who has got their favorites picked out so far?

I just got Shiek (got lucky and found her hiding away from the rest of the Amiibos at the local Walmart ) and even though she's only about lv.17 shes already giving me a run for my money. So far I've been trying to balance her out more than the rest of them Stat-wise. With most of mine I've been focusing on Attack and Speed power. But now that I have an overabundance of Defensive badges and such I figured I'd at least try to keep her balanced and man she seems to keep me on my toes. Of course giving her a Crouch-Healing badge may have helped her.

On another note how bad have we all gotten addicted so far? I've gotten 14 so far, with another two preordered.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#2 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Not a model, perhaps

• Citizen
  • 4046 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:12 AM

Fortunately, I've managed to rein myself in from spending too much on these things (I'm already spending quite a bit much on Transformers and some other collectibles, anyway :p). The three I have so far are Samus ('Artemis', my first and highest-leveled), Luigi ('Hades') and Shulk ('Apollo'), with Sonic and Mega Man reserved at Gamestop.

Man, they really need to add an amiibo option on the online modes for people to be able to pit these against each other. Maybe even do something like have the player fighting alongside one or two of his amiibo against another player's team. :thumbsup

#3 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:20 AM

Oh, Amiibo, Amiibo, Amiibo.

I only have Kirby, Villager (who I lucked out on on release day before the insanity happened) and Toon Link.

I really want Captain Falcon but Scalpers took care of him. I also want Mega Man who, I don't know.

Nintendo should really look into upping production on the scalped Amiibos. When I first heard of them, I thought they would be replenished regularly like Disney Infinity does. But goddamn, have they dropped the ball.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#4 Geoff

Geoff

he created the vibe...

• Supporter
  • 1659 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

I still need Captain Falcon, Pitt and Little Mac from Wave 2 and Rosalina Shulk and King Dedede from wave 3. I hope Nintendo UK restock them again soon as I'm having far to may gaps in my collection and sooner or later I'll just give up collecting Amiibo entirely. 

Follow me on twitter

#5 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8339 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

I just want Megaman at retail price. Is that so wrong?

#6 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40725 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

My wife and I have Mario, Peach, Zelda, and Link. I want to get some more like MegaMan, Sonic, and a few others.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#7 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

Rosalina was out in Canada for 5 minutes.

GUH! I'd trade my Marth for her! >_<

It made me rage quit Amiibos... up until I found Megaman at Toys R us the other day.  :D

#8 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14638 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'm hard to buy gifts for, so I made the mistake of putting Amiibos on my Amazon Wishlist so that family could buy them for me for Christmas. Unfortunately my family sucks, and now I'm freaking out trying to find Fox and Captain Falcon at a reasonable price - reasonable for me being less than double retail.

Yep.

#9 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4785 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

I just have Samus, Bowser and Toon Link.

I will get Megaman if I see him, and Pacman and Duck Hunt if they are released.

Signatures are overrated.

#10 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9726 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

Well Pac is slated for the Spring Wave. At Walmart is seems some must be shelfwarming pretty bad since I saw them Rollingback DK and Yoshi.

Might as well list all mine. I have Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Mario, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Pit, Kirby, Link, Toon Link, Zelda, and Shiek. Mega Man and Sonic are preordered at Gamestop but now I'm wondering if I'll ever get them.

#11 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Live the pages of a story and you'll never die

• Supporter
  • 48454 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:42 PM

We've got Link, Zelda, Shiek, and Bowser. I might be tempted by a few more, but I'm not paying scalper prices for them. I'm hoping to be able to actually find Lucina, Robin, and Charizard when they come out, but....

#12 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1997 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

I've let all my worst collecting tendencies take over with these things. I have all of them except Rosalina and Meta Knight. I never saw an option to preorder either of them, and at least Rosalina was naturally sold out immediately. I'm assuming the same is true for Meta Knight.

I kinda regret getting lucky and finding Villager stuffed in a bin under a bunch of others at one of the local TRUs. I'd already had Marth from the release day, and WFTs were still fairly easy to find at the time. Finding him made being a completionist possible, and I'd seen too much to resist the urge at that point. Between these, Skylanders, and Combiner Wars, my wallet's crushed this year.

#13 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33615 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

I just grabbed a Link and a Mario because I only have the 3DS Smash Bros so far.  I'd like a Megaman but not so much I need to care too hard about it.

I got a Captain Falcon for a friend a couple of weeks ago.  TRU employee came over and asked if I'd like a rare one.  I didn't know these things were such a big deal at the time, didn't care about them, got it anyway, then gave it away.  You can all feel free to hate me for that now.  :D

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#14 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2538 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

I'll list the ones I don't have. That'll be shorter.

Marth, Villager*, Rosalina, Meta Knight, Lucardio, Dedede and Sonic, Mega Man and Ike are Pre-order and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Toad is paid and will be shipped to me in March. Hoping they'll make a Daisy for Mario Party 10.

*More upset about him than anyone else. He was one of my "GETS" but I passed on him a few times because if I got him I couldn't get Marth or WFT if I saw them.

"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#15 DeltaSeeker

DeltaSeeker
  • Supporter
  • 4845 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

I have Mario, Link, and Samus, and my son has Pikachu (named Lemmegita). I really haven't had the desire to get any more, at least not like the Infinity figures. But if I spot a Megaman, I'll pick him up.

#16 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26235 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

I bought Marth and Wii Fit Trainer on day one, without any pre-orders. I just thought they were cool.

What has happened since then has been incredibly discouraging. I don't want to bother with hunting for the characters I like. I might just import a few figures to avoid supporting the local scalping market.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#17 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7766 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

Wow, today I lucked out and found the only Mega Man in town. Lucky lucky me :D

#18 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9726 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

Gamestop just called to tell me Mega was in as well. :)

#19 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5569 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

I want MegaMan badly. However due to all the nonsense with these things I'm not sure if I'll get him.

I wanted Marth as well but well...

It's really annoying. Not only are they hard as hell to find, but they are 13 bucks a pop. I didn't get into Skylanders or Disney Infinity, so I don't know the general prices for these, but I believe they shouldn't be more then 6.99 if that.

Right now I have none of them, but I'm aiming to get at least Link with a gamestop cupon I have so I can use said Link to unlock a weapon in Hyrule Warriors.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#20 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

Considering they are marketing this worldwide, they could have come up with an easier to pronounce and less silly name than "Amiiboo". It sounds like, well... Hibbety-hoo or Hullaballoo.

"Musty prawns, and Timbucktu! Yeltsy-by, and hibbety-hoo! Kick 'em in the dishpan! Hoo hoo hoo!!  :D (hope you get the reference)

Much like with Skylanders I'd only be interested in this for the figures, since I don't own consoles. Will most likely get Starfox if they discount the figures, for the simple reason that well, this is the first ever Starfox figure, unless you count the bobble-head.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 24 February 2015 - 07:32 AM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nintendo, Amiibo, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Mario Party 10, Hyrule Warriors, Codename STEAM, Wii U, 3DS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users