Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (18 February 2019 - 03:25 AM)

Hank Pym<<<< Hank Hill

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 February 2019 - 01:28 AM)

In that case, I don't see anything wrong with English speakers calling it what it is in English. Even though we technically use the French words for what comes out of it. "Beef", "pork"...

@  Bass X0 : (17 February 2019 - 02:04 PM)

I’d like a Siege Thundercracker who has his regular blue colors Cybertronian jet mode which transforms into a robot mode with his Action Master colors. Looks like it could be possible.

@  Paladin : (17 February 2019 - 11:57 AM)

The cow was slaughtered in the abattoir.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 February 2019 - 08:53 AM)

It's not a pretty name: abattoir is literally just the french word for slaughterhouse.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 February 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Giving it a pretty name won't make it a pretty place.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 February 2019 - 02:45 AM)

I do believe there is an aphorism about the U.S.A. and yogurt being different because after 200 years the latter will have a culture.

@  Maruten : (16 February 2019 - 11:30 PM)

There's another word for "abattoir"?! Honestly you people, "slaughterhouse" is a bit on the nose.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 February 2019 - 10:09 PM)

I learned this week that the French-style term abattoir is prevalent in the UK/Commonwealth in place of where U.S.-American Anglophones would say "slaughterhouse". Fascinating.

@  MEDdMI : (16 February 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Nonsense. Everybody loves all my posts.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 08:27 PM)

Or dislike them. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Wish we could like the shout posts...

@  Patch : (16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM)

Uh oh. Here comes a flock of Wah-Wahs.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 10:54 AM)

Oh, that makes more sense.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 07:31 AM)

Haven't given it to him yet. Not sure when I will, but soon. Wah Wah is what he calls any vehicle with a siren, and the little bugger just LOVES firetrucks. So I got him a rescue bot heatwave.

@  repowers : (16 February 2019 - 02:41 AM)

I hope he said "You've given me a wah-wah"

@  Dekafox : (16 February 2019 - 12:48 AM)

A red panda?

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:06 PM)

*WAH

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:05 PM)

THE HECK IS A WHAH WAH?!?!?!

@  wonko the sane? : (15 February 2019 - 08:54 PM)

Yay! My nephew's Wah Wah showed up today!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 February 2019 - 08:12 PM)

BotBots are GLORIOUS

@  Pennpenn : (14 February 2019 - 07:07 PM)

A day best ignored if you're not the target demographic. Can be difficult sometimes though.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2019 - 11:55 AM)

Valentine's Day. bummer.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2019 - 08:55 AM)

Or you could come to canada, where bureaucracy is a publically funded art form! So garbage and used condoms trying to make a statement about something or other, not entirely sure what.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

We've turned it into an art form.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

You think you know bureaucracy, but you've never been to Germany.

@  RichardT1977 : (13 February 2019 - 11:48 PM)

I think a better counterpart would be "society".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (13 February 2019 - 11:24 PM)

Sounds like the cobra effect.

@  Echowarrior : (13 February 2019 - 05:58 PM)

I think a better counterpart for it would be bureaucracy.

@  MEDdMI : (13 February 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Is Verbesserschlimmerung a change that was intented to make things worse but made them better instead?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 February 2019 - 07:35 AM)

We have a similar word in english "government".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:05 AM)

The meaning of this word is: A change that was intended as an improvement but ended up making things worse.

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

It's a portmanteau of "Verbesserung", which means "improvement", and "Verschlimmerung", which means "worsening".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

Your new German word for today: Verschlimmbesserung.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:17 PM)

Fortunately it's been long enough now that the possibility exists another label like Shout Factory or Arrow could pick it up and give it an updated release.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM)

It's the same with their Dawn of the Dead blu-ray, and several others

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:11 PM)

In Volcano's case it isn't so much a case just of amazon or eBay sellers... it looks like rather than releasing it directly, Fox licensed it out to Starz/Anchor Bay, and it's subsequently gone out of print

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM)

There's Amazon sellers for you.

@  Telly : (12 February 2019 - 12:49 PM)

thought about buying volcano on bluray last night, until i saw the price on amazon: $135. the used ones arent much cheaper at $90. i know the 3p sellers can set any price they want, but come on. $90-$135 for a 20 year old movie that was only so-so?

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 05:12 AM)

GOt my hopes up there for a bit. Last I heard it was nebulously in 2019.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 February 2019 - 05:00 AM)

Nope, none for REmake or Zero either.

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 04:13 AM)

Do we have a release date?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 February 2019 - 03:51 AM)

Looking forward to RE4 on Switch, it will be my annual playthrough.

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Don't call Floridans that. It's degrading to marine mammals.

@  Ashley : (12 February 2019 - 12:41 AM)

Oh, the huge manatee

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 February 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Anyone here ever been to the Manatee Viewing Center right outside Apollo Beach, Florida?

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:35 PM)

The manatees were extra eager that day.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 February 2019 - 08:10 PM)

Maybe they accidentally got some editorial oversight for a while or something.

@  Shrug : (11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM)

And it shifted gears the season after, it's like there was a different head writer or editor or something one year

@  Shrug : (11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was some random season after the cancellation that I thought was amazing, but I don't watch the show closely enough to tell you which one it was

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Notes, notes... TFWiki Toy Fair coverage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 Monzo

Monzo

The Weirdest Fan Experience

• Citizen
  • 2201 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Toy_Fair_2015

Robots in Disguise

• The alternate forms of the Mini-Cons were called out as being either "buzzsaws" (Autobots) or "torpedos" (Decepticons).
  • The first wave of Mini-Cons consists of Divebomb (Decepticon humanoid), Dragonus (Decepticon dragon), Sawback (Autobot wolf), and Slipstream (Autobot humanoid), and will hit retail in the fall of 2015. Wave 2 consists of Beastbox (Autobot gorilla), Ratbat (Decepticon bat), Sandsting (Decepticon scorpion), and Velocirazor (Autobot dinosaur). Future waves include Sliver (Decepticon humanoid).
  • The "wave 1 Mini-Con wolf" was referred to as Wolfwire by one presenter, which may have been Sawback's working name.
  • Each wave of Mini-Cons will come with parts that, when assembled, create a "bonus" non-transforming Mini-Con made out of clear plastic pieces. At present, these "bonus" Mini-Cons are unnamed, and it was uncertain how the information about them would be relayed to the general public, as the feature is not called out on the packaging. Wave one's parts will create an energy lion, and wave two's an energy shark.

Generations

• Viper was said to be a "generic" style Transformer – not technically a drone, but a design a lot of different, independently-sentient guys share, like the Omnicons in the Energon cartoon. This characterization is intended to facilitate fans army-building Viper, recalling the Cobra Viper that is his namesake.
  • The "brand-new Prototectobot" Rook was said to be a "toolbox," with fists that can manipulate and use different types of weapons.
  • Rook's deco was said to be the work of Joe Kyde. It was kept similar to the pre-existing Protectobots to maintain visual consistency in Defensor's combined mode.
  • Because Rook's fists end in 5mm holes, and Titan Class Devastator's combined mode fists use posts of the same scale, designer John Warden has received some late-night photos of Rook using Devastator's giant fists like "Hulk Hands" from his TakaraTomy teammate Shogo Hasui. This is both ridiculous and awesome.
  • Cyclonus's combined form was said to be called "Galvatronus" (with a long "o"), but his super robot head couldn't be revealed because the on-hand figures were hand-painted samples. The Legends Class "Viper" figure was implied to be Galvatronus's firearm, mirroring Powerglide/Silverbolt.
  • Hot Spot was said to be the work of TakaraTomy staffer Takashi Kunihiro.
  • As a designer, one thing John Warden is trying to do is work subtle scale back into Transformers. As an example of this, he stated that the doors and ladders on Ultra Magnus are 1/144th scale, and that the Titan Constructicons feature ladders of the same size (putting them into rough scale with one another).
  • It is possible to arm Ultra Magnus with a hammer by combining his missile pods with some of his other parts.
  • Minimus Ambus cannot ride in Ultra Magnus's cab mode, both due to the figure's transformation and so as to not give the appearance that Ultra Magnus is merely a "mecha".
  • Ultra Magnus was also said to be the work of TakaraTomy staffer Takashi Kunihiro.
  • Each of Titan Class Devastator's components is roughly the size of the original Devastator toy.
  • Titan Devastator was a collaboration between designers John Warden and TakaraTomy's Shogo Hasui, who was driven by an almost-religious fervor to see that Devastator reached perfection (and reportedly got very little sleep in the process).
  • With Titan Devastator considered the one chance to do an accurate "dream scale" Devastator that would appeal to both hardcore and casual fans, Hasbro did not want to commit to doing "Prowlastator," given that concept's relatively recent introduction into the lore.
  • While the color layout of the Devastator on display was final - including painted black "windows" on his Mixmaster foot - the green will be changed for better consistency on the finished product.
  • Mixmaster's change into an industrial cement mixer came about both to modernize him and to bring him into better scale with Long Haul's gigantic "mining dump truck" altmode.
  • Devastator's poseability includes "monster hip joints" and rocker ankles on both sides. You're welcome.
  • A presenter suggested that it would be pretty awesome to see Devastator redone as the Build Team.

Notes

• Presenting for the Transformers team were Jerry Jivoin and John Warden. Also at the event were Generations senior brand manager Sarah Carroll, senior vice president of Transformers Tom Warner, and TakaraTomy designer Hisao Nishimoto, plus former Transformers marketing team members Greg Lombardo (representing Play-Doh) and Mike Verret (presenting for Jurassic World).
    • The Playskool Heroes component of the Jurassic World line will include redecos of several early Rescue Bots human figures, including Walker Cleveland, Sawyer Storm, Jack Tracker, and the original Charlie Burns.
    • Clips from upcoming Rescue Bots episodes introduced Blurr, High Tide, and Salvage, the "Rescue Force recruits".
    • One of the Robots in Disguise slides revealed that the franchise will receive a McDonald's promotion. This will presumably be done in conjunction with My Little Pony, as their presentation also referenced the chain.
    • During the Generations portion of the presentation, the audience was polled to add a vote for the Fan-Built Combiner's location of origin. The Sea of Rust won overwhelmingly over Iacon and Kaon.
    • Following the location vote, Jerry Jivoin said that he'd love to see the first-ever female combiner, and heavily hinted that fans may be able to vote for the gender of the Fan-Built Combiner in the near future.
      • An interview with Jivoin by Ben Yee%5B1%5D posted after Toy Fair confirmed that fans will be able to vote for the gender of the Fan-Built Combiner.
  • Ben Yee's interview with Jivoin also revealed that the first wave of Combiner Wars Deluxes released in North America lacked pack-in comics because of production timing issues; the collector cards are usually only used in non-English international markets, but were subbed in because the comics weren't ready to go. Any re-releases of first wave figures will include comics.%5B2%5D
  • On the showroom floor, Jivoin clarified that the Tiny Titans line is in fact a mix of characters from different universes, despite the packaging being Robots in Disguise-themed. This was done to both draw in fans of other Transformers series and to beef up the character assortment.
  • John Warden confirmed that Combiner Wars Blackjack was originally designed as Runabout; that Offroad was originally designed as Ruckus, but they both couldn't get the name and decided it didn't make sense for Ruckus to be a Stunticon anyway; and that Rook was designed as an entirely original character, whose head is based on the crown of the actual rook/"castle" chess piece.
  • Although he has now moved on to another brand, Mark Weber was indicated as being instrumental in pushing for the existence of the Combiner Wars segment and working out its details.
  • Whether redecos of figures from previous assortments receive new heads - Legends Huffer from Optimus Prime was used as an example - depends on the size of the figure and its equivalent production costs (e.g. making a new head for a Legends figure was said to be much cheaper compared to one for a Deluxe or a Voyager) and if TakaraTomy agrees to the proposal. In Huffer's case, his new head "insert" was deemed small enough by TakaraTomy that they agreed to it with minimal negotiations.
  • One presenter inquired about whether fans would be interested in customizable "order-your-own" Combiners. The idea was agreed to be both awesome and potentially Wiki-breaking.
  • When asked about the possibility of getting either the Generation 2 Stunticons or TakaraTomy's Slingshot in Combiner Wars, a presenter said that they couldn't reveal anything at this time, but stated that Hasbro loves to listen to the fans and tries to deliver the best tributes it can to its wide audience.

#2 tec

tec

Kick the tires & light the fires

• Supporter
  • 29615 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

Good notes and hats off toTakashi Kunihiro.both Hot Spot and UM are clear winners that almost all the fans are looking forward to ...namely myself :D

Edited by tec, 19 February 2015 - 02:35 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#3 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9365 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

Loads of cool info in there, many thanks.

I think "Sliver" might just be a working name for Divebomb, though - the stock photos certainly look a lot like Divebomb's show model.

#4 SteamPunk Astrotrain

SteamPunk Astrotrain
  • Citizen
  • 1216 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

Rook being "a toolbox with fists..." I just love that idea!

And I'm definitely going to see if the posts for Defensor's hand/foot/gun

will fit in there too, because the Hulk hands idea is silly enough to 

seriously appeal to me. And this should finally, finally put an end to the

rumors that Rook's head looks like some kind of Russian hat. I had half a

suspicion too that Viper was meant to go with Cyclonus, so it's

nice to see that confirmed.

Steampunk Astrotrain

CW "We could always force him to watch that security footage of Waspinator trying to play an accordion.
DH "Are you kidding? Waspinator couldn't play a kazoo without fragging himself!"

#5 ExVee

ExVee

That Kup, he is a Chear

• Supporter
  • 9359 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

The statement about Rook with the Hulk Hands was probably meant to refer to Defensor's fists and Warden (if he was the one relating the story about the pictures) got mixed up because Devastator was the big deal of the day to talk about. From the pictures it looks very much like Devastator's hands work entirely differently and couldn't attach to Rook that way, whereas the standard Combiner Wars hand-feet work exactly how that would require.

Also, congratulations Gundam fans: You've got Transformers with elements specifically tying them to be 1/144. HellCat will surely be delighted his eventual Ultra Magnus can serve as a transport trailer for his HGUCs and the like.

#6 gearshift

gearshift

insanely here for buff ROM

• Citizen
  • 2314 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Shogo Hasui? I guess this truly is the closest thing we're going to get to Masterpiece Devastator, then. I wonder if that's how it'll be marketed in Takara's markets?

That's some pretty fun news about Viper. The Omnicons were one of my favourite subgroups when I was a kid, so I might actually buy multiple of him to relive that. I guess all the money I'm saving by not getting the Masquerade-ish wave is just being funnelled back into Viper army-building. I hope there's Junkions at the legends scale soon enough- that kind of army building is nice and accessible!

#7 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26290 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

The Omnicons were one of my favourite subgroups when I was a kid,

Oh my god, I'm old.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#8 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 21321 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

When asked about the possibility of getting either the Generation 2 Stunticons or TakaraTomy's Slingshot in Combiner Wars, a presenter said that they couldn't reveal anything at this time, but stated that Hasbro loves to listen to the fans and tries to deliver the best tributes it can to its wide audience.

I wonder how many people would interpret "best tributes" to mean that Hasbro cares about "most slavishly retro" rather than "makes the most money".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 19 February 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#9 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 16559 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

And yet they gave Viper a new head based on a non-generic Cobra guy. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure 1/144 can't possibly be the scale he meant there; a 17" Devastator at 1/144 is over two hundred feet tall, and even a 6" long vehicle at that scale is seventy feet long. Big construction vehicles are big, but not that big.

#10 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63908 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

Shogo Hasui? I guess this truly is the closest thing we're going to get to Masterpiece Devastator, then. I wonder if that's how it'll be marketed in Takara's markets?

People wondered the same thing about Metroplex and he was marketed as Generations.  I'm sure Devastator will likely be released in Unite Warriors.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#11 gearshift

gearshift

• Citizen
  • 2314 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

Was Metroplex designed by a traditionally Masterpiece guy, though? The Toy Fair 2013 page doesn't have anything on who designed him.

#12 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3639 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

One presenter inquired about whether fans would be interested in customizable "order-your-own" Combiners. The idea was agreed to be both awesome and potentially Wiki-breaking.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :love

#13 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63908 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Was Metroplex designed by a traditionally Masterpiece guy, though? The Toy Fair 2013 page doesn't have anything on who designed him.

I know Yuki Ohshima did some of the design work.  Regardless though, Hisashi Yuki does a lot of non-Masterpiece work.  Just because he did the design work for this does not preclude it will be marketed as a Masterpiece in Japan.  :)

I do think it's existence indicates a Masterpiece Devastator is a long time coming (if ever) though.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#14 gearshift

gearshift

• Citizen
  • 2314 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

It was Shogo Hasui, the guy who was responsible for basically every Masterpiece between Kobayaski stepping down and then back up again, not Hisashi Yuki. He did do more traditional figures before getting on the Masterpiece train, but the last mainline toy he worked on was released before MP10.

Still, yeah. Probably not, was just curious what this meant.

Edited by Gearshift, 19 February 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#15 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9365 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

And yet they gave Viper a new head based on a non-generic Cobra guy. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure 1/144 can't possibly be the scale he meant there; a 17" Devastator at 1/144 is over two hundred feet tall, and even a 6" long vehicle at that scale is seventy feet long. Big construction vehicles are big, but not that big.

Well, a 1/144 door would be one-and-a-bit centimetres, which seems about right for the one on the side of Ultra Magnus's gargantutruck mode. The ladders on the Constructicons are pretty small - maybe they're similarly intended to be preposterously oversized construction vehicles?

Edited by Jalaguy, 19 February 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#16 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63908 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

It was Shogo Hasui, the guy who was responsible for basically every Masterpiece between Kobayaski stepping down and then back up again, not Hisashi Yuki. He did do more traditional figures before getting on the Masterpiece train, but the last mainline toy he worked on was released before MP10.

Still, yeah. Probably not, was just curious what this meant.

Yeah I got the names mixed up because of all the tweets Hisashi Yuki sends.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#17 News Team

News Team

Are there any more qualified than me to bring you the latest new

• Citizen
  • 34672 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

Walking Transformers encyclopedia Monzo has stopped by to post some notes he gathered during his time at Toy Fair 2015.  The information he's managed to collect contains some interesting information about Combiner Wars, Robots In Disguise, as well as Rescue Bots.  Click Read More to read the interesting information he was able to gather.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Toy_Fair_2015

Robots in Disguise

• The alternate forms of the Mini-Cons were called out as being either "buzzsaws" (Autobots) or "torpedos" (Decepticons).
  • The first wave of Mini-Cons consists of Divebomb (Decepticon humanoid), Dragonus (Decepticon dragon), Sawback (Autobot wolf), and Slipstream (Autobot humanoid), and will hit retail in the fall of 2015. Wave 2 consists of Beastbox (Autobot gorilla), Ratbat (Decepticon bat), Sandsting (Decepticon scorpion), and Velocirazor (Autobot dinosaur). Future waves include Sliver (Decepticon humanoid).
  • The "wave 1 Mini-Con wolf" was referred to as Wolfwire by one presenter, which may have been Sawback's working name.
  • Each wave of Mini-Cons will come with parts that, when assembled, create a "bonus" non-transforming Mini-Con made out of clear plastic pieces. At present, these "bonus" Mini-Cons are unnamed, and it was uncertain how the information about them would be relayed to the general public, as the feature is not called out on the packaging. Wave one's parts will create an energy lion, and wave two's an energy shark.

Generations

• Viper was said to be a "generic" style Transformer – not technically a drone, but a design a lot of different, independently-sentient guys share, like the Omnicons in the Energon cartoon. This characterization is intended to facilitate fans army-building Viper, recalling the Cobra Viper that is his namesake.
  • The "brand-new Prototectobot" Rook was said to be a "toolbox," with fists that can manipulate and use different types of weapons.
  • Rook's deco was said to be the work of Joe Kyde. It was kept similar to the pre-existing Protectobots to maintain visual consistency in Defensor's combined mode.
  • Because Rook's fists end in 5mm holes, and Titan Class Devastator's combined mode fists use posts of the same scale, designer John Warden has received some late-night photos of Rook using Devastator's giant fists like "Hulk Hands" from his TakaraTomy teammate Shogo Hasui. This is both ridiculous and awesome.
  • Cyclonus's combined form was said to be called "Galvatronus" (with a long "o"), but his super robot head couldn't be revealed because the on-hand figures were hand-painted samples. The Legends Class "Viper" figure was implied to be Galvatronus's firearm, mirroring Powerglide/Silverbolt.
  • Hot Spot was said to be the work of TakaraTomy staffer Takashi Kunihiro.
  • As a designer, one thing John Warden is trying to do is work subtle scale back into Transformers. As an example of this, he stated that the doors and ladders on Ultra Magnus are 1/144th scale, and that the Titan Constructicons feature ladders of the same size (putting them into rough scale with one another).
  • It is possible to arm Ultra Magnus with a hammer by combining his missile pods with some of his other parts.
  • Minimus Ambus cannot ride in Ultra Magnus's cab mode, both due to the figure's transformation and so as to not give the appearance that Ultra Magnus is merely a "mecha".
  • Ultra Magnus was also said to be the work of TakaraTomy staffer Takashi Kunihiro.
  • Each of Titan Class Devastator's components is roughly the size of the original Devastator toy.
  • Titan Devastator was a collaboration between designers John Warden and TakaraTomy's Shogo Hasui, who was driven by an almost-religious fervor to see that Devastator reached perfection (and reportedly got very little sleep in the process).
  • With Titan Devastator considered the one chance to do an accurate "dream scale" Devastator that would appeal to both hardcore and casual fans, Hasbro did not want to commit to doing "Prowlastator," given that concept's relatively recent introduction into the lore.
  • While the color layout of the Devastator on display was final - including painted black "windows" on his Mixmaster foot - the green will be changed for better consistency on the finished product.
  • Mixmaster's change into an industrial cement mixer came about both to modernize him and to bring him into better scale with Long Haul's gigantic "mining dump truck" altmode.
  • Devastator's poseability includes "monster hip joints" and rocker ankles on both sides. You're welcome.
  • A presenter suggested that it would be pretty awesome to see Devastator redone as the Build Team.

Notes

• Presenting for the Transformers team were Jerry Jivoin and John Warden. Also at the event were Generations senior brand manager Sarah Carroll, senior vice president of Transformers Tom Warner, and TakaraTomy designer Hisao Nishimoto, plus former Transformers marketing team members Greg Lombardo (representing Play-Doh) and Mike Verret (presenting for Jurassic World).
    • The Playskool Heroes component of the Jurassic World line will include redecos of several early Rescue Bots human figures, including Walker Cleveland, Sawyer Storm, Jack Tracker, and the original Charlie Burns.
    • Clips from upcoming Rescue Bots episodes introduced Blurr, High Tide, and Salvage, the "Rescue Force recruits".
    • One of the Robots in Disguise slides revealed that the franchise will receive a McDonald's promotion. This will presumably be done in conjunction with My Little Pony, as their presentation also referenced the chain.
    • During the Generations portion of the presentation, the audience was polled to add a vote for the Fan-Built Combiner's location of origin. The Sea of Rust won overwhelmingly over Iacon and Kaon.
    • Following the location vote, Jerry Jivoin said that he'd love to see the first-ever female combiner, and heavily hinted that fans may be able to vote for the gender of the Fan-Built Combiner in the near future.
      • An interview with Jivoin by Ben Yee%5B1%5D posted after Toy Fair confirmed that fans will be able to vote for the gender of the Fan-Built Combiner.
  • Ben Yee's interview with Jivoin also revealed that the first wave of Combiner Wars Deluxes released in North America lacked pack-in comics because of production timing issues; the collector cards are usually only used in non-English international markets, but were subbed in because the comics weren't ready to go. Any re-releases of first wave figures will include comics.%5B2%5D
  • On the showroom floor, Jivoin clarified that the Tiny Titans line is in fact a mix of characters from different universes, despite the packaging being Robots in Disguise-themed. This was done to both draw in fans of other Transformers series and to beef up the character assortment.
  • John Warden confirmed that Combiner Wars Blackjack was originally designed as Runabout; that Offroad was originally designed as Ruckus, but they both couldn't get the name and decided it didn't make sense for Ruckus to be a Stunticon anyway; and that Rook was designed as an entirely original character, whose head is based on the crown of the actual rook/"castle" chess piece.
  • Although he has now moved on to another brand, Mark Weber was indicated as being instrumental in pushing for the existence of the Combiner Wars segment and working out its details.
  • Whether redecos of figures from previous assortments receive new heads - Legends Huffer from Optimus Prime was used as an example - depends on the size of the figure and its equivalent production costs (e.g. making a new head for a Legends figure was said to be much cheaper compared to one for a Deluxe or a Voyager) and if TakaraTomy agrees to the proposal. In Huffer's case, his new head "insert" was deemed small enough by TakaraTomy that they agreed to it with minimal negotiations.
  • One presenter inquired about whether fans would be interested in customizable "order-your-own" Combiners. The idea was agreed to be both awesome and potentially Wiki-breaking.
  • When asked about the possibility of getting either the Generation 2 Stunticons or TakaraTomy's Slingshot in Combiner Wars, a presenter said that they couldn't reveal anything at this time, but stated that Hasbro loves to listen to the fans and tries to deliver the best tributes it can to its wide audience.

You can discuss the news on our forums.

View the full article

#18 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for this!
On them twitters

#19 Primetime1

Primetime1
  • Citizen
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Excellent additional notes, especially regarding Devastator. I wonder if it's safe to assume that since both companies collaborated together that the Takara version will be the same color wise?

#20 Primetime1

Primetime1
  • Citizen
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

And Ultra Magnus as well...