Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (21 March 2019 - 02:16 AM)

To be honest they did ignore big chunks of the stuff from the movie. Also never had the balls to portray Jesus as a rogue Goa'uld (yeah yeah I know shut up).

@  Echowarrior : (20 March 2019 - 08:57 PM)

The original Stargate movie was okay for what it was. SG1 was a decent show that probably lasted too long. Atlantis was a decent show that could've lasted a little longer. Universe...gah. There were exactly two characters on that show that I liked, and neither was enough to help it in my mind.

@  Xellos : (20 March 2019 - 04:05 PM)

I got into SG1 right as season 8 ended. The Stargates were the last shows that I would make sure to watch every week. Since Universe ended, I really have not been addicted to any live action series.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 03:12 PM)

The concept of the film had enormous potential, and the rest was literally writers one upping each other when they didn't know if they were going to get renewed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 02:40 PM)

Haven't got as far as Universe yet, but I finished SG-1 on Prime last week and I'm part of the way through Atlantis, now. Amazing how long it went on, just based off a single film

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 March 2019 - 02:36 PM)

Teal'c PI never happened but Teengate did.

@  Cybersnark : (20 March 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Indeed.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Yeah, SG1 is fairly and uniformely good throught out it's entire run. Atlantis isn't quite as good, but has quite a few good episodes, and universe wasn't a bad take on the more dramatic and outlandish aspects of the universe.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Man, I should've watched the Stargate TV shows years ago; they're a lot better than I ever expected

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Well, if the merchant benefited from it there's no harm, I guess. Some people just aren't comfortable dealing with foreign currencies; although admittedly those usually aren't the types who'll go to a place like Estonia.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:51 PM)

I gather this was an ad hoc sale with no machine around. Or the U.S.-Americans in this story were so entitled they didn't bother getting any euros for their trip. One hears about the latter phenomenon often enough.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Easier to just use a credit card with no foreign currency conversion fee. There are plenty to choose from in the US

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Joke's on them because the USD-EUR exchange rate gave him a lot more.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Just read an anecdote on Facebook from an Estonian guy who once accepted U.S. dollars on par from some 'Mericans who didn't change their currency when traveling to another country.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 11:14 AM)

Try their TF/GIJoe comic. I dare you. (I'm sorry in advance.)

@  Fnu Aw : (19 March 2019 - 10:41 AM)

My first reaction reading Dreamwave was "What am I stupid or something?" It can be hard to follow what's happening at times.

@  Paladin : (19 March 2019 - 07:52 AM)

but enough about *INSERT LEAST FAVORITE WEBCOMIC HERE*

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 06:15 AM)

He draws about as well as he runs a business.

@  Nevermore : (19 March 2019 - 06:01 AM)

But... but... it has artwork by Superstar Extraordinaire Paticus Funana Lee!

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:36 AM)

The second one,has a lot more interesting idea (A unified post war Cybertron, people viewing Optimus differently now the wars over), but in practice it's a disjointed mess.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'd say the first volume is the most Meh Transformers comic I've ever read. Reading it I felt like I was skipping a bunch of pages.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:32 AM)

You know I've been reading Dreamwave's comics and its not very good.

@  lastmaximal : (18 March 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Basics we can afford to take for granted. So let's cool it.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 06:07 PM)

Learning what exactly?

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Don't be mean. The kid is learning.

@  KidTDragon : (18 March 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Tucker has to have his threads approved before they'll post now? That's hilarious.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:19 PM)

Tucker, it is the same thread that you already posted. I am not approving that. As we have discussed you need to submit different content.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:18 PM)

We will look at it Tucker.

@  Pennpenn : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

[Replace adjectives as needed]

@  wonko the sane? : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

an unhealthy volume of paranoia seems to accompany most hatemongers.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:12 AM)

"Them" being alien reptiloid Muslim Zionist Atheist Sanatist Communist pedophile feminazis. Or something.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:11 AM)

His views are "They're coming for us!"

@  unluckiness : (18 March 2019 - 12:59 AM)

I don't think even he knows his own views, frankly. What with blaming Spyro and having the Navy Seal copypasta in his so-called manifesto

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:27 PM)

Even in the general population there are those who share his views. Probably a significant crossover with the ones who blame Muslims for what happened.

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:25 PM)

It wouldn't surprise (but still disgust) me if there was a part of the prison population who condone or even celebrate his actions.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 07:45 PM)

TFcon is returning to Washington, D.C. this North American autumn 2019.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I bet he will have to be kept in solitary for the rest of his life for his own protection against other prisoners.

@  Nevermore : (17 March 2019 - 02:46 PM)

**** that asshole that killed 50 people in New Zealand.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Happy Street Atri's Day!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:02 PM)

That works too. The burger example was just fresher in my mind from another site.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 March 2019 - 01:52 PM)

"Paddy" is short for "Patrick". But "Patty" is still short for "Patricia", right?

@  Kayla Kaon : (17 March 2019 - 01:38 PM)

My name is and I take offense to this

@  Locoman : (17 March 2019 - 01:26 PM)

MY NAME'S! NOT! RIIIIIIIIIIICK!

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Happy Saint Rick's Day!

@  MEDdMI : (17 March 2019 - 06:39 AM)

Whooo! I can get some cheap corned beef now!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:55 PM)

While I have no ties to Ireland, South or North, I have been reassured by many Irish people of the proper rendition.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:54 PM)

Paddy is the diminutive of Pádraig. Patty belongs on a burger.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:53 PM)

PSA to all: the abbreviated name is Paddy's Day or Saint Paddy's Day.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:42 PM)

Another round of U.S.-Americans throwing around Disneyfied Irish symbolism for the sake of getting smashed.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:41 PM)

Hooray, it is Lá Fhéile Pádraig / Saint Patrick's Day once again.

- - - - -

New Disney toon - Star vs. The Forces of Evil

Disney Star vs. the Forces of Evil Starvstheforcesofevil Disneyxd

273 replies to this topic

#21 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:39 AM

I really liked Gravity Falls so I gave it a shot.

Sadly, I found this show to be brain-meltingly awful. Oh well.

PM me if you're bored!

#22 Classic Sideways

Classic Sideways

Unicronian Agent

• Citizen
  • 5799 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

well I thank this thread for bringing this show to my attention because it's a lot of fun. I would have missed it otherwise

#23 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3554 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

I don't know about some of you, but after seeing the first episode, I actually like this show.

Star Butterfly is something you would never expect from a magical heroine.  I mean, she's a crazy girl who literally gets sent to Earth to be responsible since she is so reckless.  And I think she's an awesome American-made magical girl.  Can any magical girl in Japan do spells like making rainbows that be set aflame, summoning puppies that can fire lasers out of their eyes (therefore beating the sharks with laser cannons) and in combat can do a spell on a hostile monster that makes them act they're on a drug trip?

#24 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

She tries too hard. Or rather, the SHOW tries too hard. It's like she is Pinkie Pie with magical powers and even less of a common sense.

Sorry, I meant... Pinkie Pie with EVEN MORE magical powers. :)

And watching just Pinkie for 20 minutes every episode? There is a reason that show is built on 6 main characters. Just my 2 cents.

As for Japan, well they did make Panty and Stocking, and they classify as crazy-powered magical girls for sure, even if they are much more malicious (and they also got sent to Earth to learn to be more responsible, hmm...)

Though that's all forgettable once you hear the voice of Flying Princess Ponyhead, who probably is only alive because she has no lungs to damage with her cigarette addiction. :D

...What!? Where in the world did you get "cigarette addiction" from "stereotypical sassy black friend" voice?

That's what she sounds like, to me. IT seems like the VA is forcing herself to sound like it which gives the voice a raspy quality.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 26 January 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#25 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8823 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

The last Disney cartoon I liked came out nearly a decade ago. Man It's weird to think Phineas and Ferb has ran for about 8 years now.

#26 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28055 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

Panty and Stocking isn't so great. It leads with some gross out and although it does have some valid experimentation (the episode about the Japanese ghetto which is critical of Japanese social standards and the nation's obsession with cute things is a particular favourite) it never strays as far as it really should from the culture and cliches it claims to criticise. The fact that the beach episode is played straight as a fanservice vehicle sums that up well. Compare it to another satire anime, Excel Saga, which turns the swimsuit episode into a brilliant send up of those plots to the point there's a subplot about the male characters being unhappy they aren't allowed to appear on screen.

At the end of the day, Gainax won't go full out attacking the culture that buys all their studio merchandise.

#27 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22191 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:28 AM

Just watched episodes 3 and 4... The art style is still pretty cute and appealing, but the show is definitely still finding its footing, writing wise. It's pretty funny but missing that heart that makes a lot of similar shows work. The ending credits sequence gives me some hope, but we'll see.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#28 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5331 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

Anybody else catch this show?  I caught the rerun Tuesday morning (as I was in Anime Club Monday night).  Have to say... it was a RIOT!  It just takes your Disney Princess angle and turns it right on it's ear (Even by Brave standards).  From what I've seen, this could be one of my new Disney XD Faves.

What are your thoughts?

Edit:  Wait.... there's been a thread about this since January?  WOW.

Edited by Autobot Bubbs, 02 April 2015 - 08:17 AM.

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#29 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8047 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

Are we talking rainbows? Are we talking puppies? Hehe, I could listen to the intro over and over.

There's a thread made for this before somewhere though. Last ep I saw would be the evil tentacle of Kung fu, which was great, and the false foreigner, which wasn't. (too psycho scary in a way).

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#30 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64174 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

Merged.

Yeah I'm really liking it so far.  I love the animation, fluid, bright and colorful.

The intro is very catchy too.  Nice to see an action show with a female lead like this.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#31 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

• Citizen
  • 5331 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

"Wait... did I just KILL that guy?"

"What?  Oh, No... he's just suffering from some internal bleeding and BEING A BIG BABY ABOUT IT!!!!!"

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#32 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16760 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

I though the first 4 were good but not great. There's a tiny hint of "Johnny Test"ish-ness there that I dislike but there were honest a lot of fun and funny bits too. I can see cool potential.

-ZacWilliam, right now it's not as Good as a Gravity Falls or Steven Universe (by which I mean Awesomely Wonderful) but I could see it growing in that direction.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 02 April 2015 - 09:38 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#33 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

• Citizen
  • 5331 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

I though the first 4 were good but not great. There's a tiny hint of "Johnny Test"ish-ness there that I dislike but there were honest a lot of fun and funny bits too. I can see cool potential.

Explain these heretical statements.  X(

#34 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 25955 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:28 AM

This show is really great. I thought the first episode was kind of "eh", but the second episode had me hooked.

Don't know why the adverts make it seem so obnoxious though.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#35 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7691 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:35 AM

The football episode is easily the best one so far. I'm really enjoying this show. It inspires me to draw again!

#36 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16758 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

I do like how the troll teacher is just shrugged off as part of the New Normal.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#37 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64174 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

---Dave

Yeah me too.  That she was on at least once before as a normal person before changing into a troll too.

That and seemingly one of the laser shooting pups bought the farm as it was sucked into that portal / black hole in the male character's room.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#38 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:30 AM

I watched the first 2 episodes and...yeah...not liking it.

My big problem (besides not caring at all for the art style) is summed up in the opening credits song, where for a moment everyone, heroes and monsters, stop for a second to air guitar....

BB pretty much nails my feelings:

She tries too hard. Or rather, the SHOW tries too hard. It's like she is Pinkie Pie with magical powers and even less of a common sense.

Sorry, I meant... Pinkie Pie with EVEN MORE magical powers. :)

And watching just Pinkie for 20 minutes every episode? There is a reason that show is built on 6 main characters. Just my 2 cents.

It all feels like it's trying too hard. It's not "Wacky girl comes to Earth" . It's "Wakier girl comes to already wacky Earth" It's not even a "take that" to magic girl shows..It's more...the ..smugness after you "took that".

It's an entire show of the Tiny Toons episode where Babs goes to Wackyland  and learns sometimes you need to calm down....but without the lesson.

eh...because there was never a normal.

#39 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28055 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:51 AM

Can...can we at least agree Star's voice is cute?

#40 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22191 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:43 AM

Wow, Star vs The Forces of Evil has really come into its own as a series since the first four episodes. The animation has always been pretty pleasing but lately its had an extra oomph that really makes it shine. And the writing and comedy have gotten spot-on as well.

I really love how there's a sort of exchange between Marco's and Star's worlds and experiences, it really feels like Earth is just a different flavor of wacky from Muny. I also appreciate that they take opportunities to have genuine discussions. Like, I know shows can do the whole moral of the day thing, but I feel Star VS does a pretty good job of making said discussions legitimately heartfelt.

I do feel they really need to do something with the side human characters, both of Marco's "friends" are lame and stereotypical losers, and his "love interest" doesn't fare much better. Well, okay, Marco's parents are pretty much flawless, but. The "magical" characters all tend to make up entirely for that.

tl;dr: Star vs the Forces of Evil has become an incedibly fun and hilarious show that doesn't forget to make you care about its characters in the process.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Starvstheforcesofevil, Disneyxd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users