Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Patch : (16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM)

Uh oh. Here comes a flock of Wah-Wahs.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 10:54 AM)

Oh, that makes more sense.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 07:31 AM)

Haven't given it to him yet. Not sure when I will, but soon. Wah Wah is what he calls any vehicle with a siren, and the little bugger just LOVES firetrucks. So I got him a rescue bot heatwave.

@  repowers : (16 February 2019 - 02:41 AM)

I hope he said "You've given me a wah-wah"

@  Dekafox : (16 February 2019 - 12:48 AM)

A red panda?

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:06 PM)

*WAH

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:05 PM)

THE HECK IS A WHAH WAH?!?!?!

@  wonko the sane? : (15 February 2019 - 08:54 PM)

Yay! My nephew's Wah Wah showed up today!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 February 2019 - 08:12 PM)

BotBots are GLORIOUS

@  Pennpenn : (14 February 2019 - 07:07 PM)

A day best ignored if you're not the target demographic. Can be difficult sometimes though.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2019 - 11:55 AM)

Valentine's Day. bummer.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2019 - 08:55 AM)

Or you could come to canada, where bureaucracy is a publically funded art form! So garbage and used condoms trying to make a statement about something or other, not entirely sure what.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

We've turned it into an art form.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

You think you know bureaucracy, but you've never been to Germany.

@  RichardT1977 : (13 February 2019 - 11:48 PM)

I think a better counterpart would be "society".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (13 February 2019 - 11:24 PM)

Sounds like the cobra effect.

@  Echowarrior : (13 February 2019 - 05:58 PM)

I think a better counterpart for it would be bureaucracy.

@  MEDdMI : (13 February 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Is Verbesserschlimmerung a change that was intented to make things worse but made them better instead?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 February 2019 - 07:35 AM)

We have a similar word in english "government".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:05 AM)

The meaning of this word is: A change that was intended as an improvement but ended up making things worse.

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

It's a portmanteau of "Verbesserung", which means "improvement", and "Verschlimmerung", which means "worsening".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

Your new German word for today: Verschlimmbesserung.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:17 PM)

Fortunately it's been long enough now that the possibility exists another label like Shout Factory or Arrow could pick it up and give it an updated release.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM)

It's the same with their Dawn of the Dead blu-ray, and several others

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:11 PM)

In Volcano's case it isn't so much a case just of amazon or eBay sellers... it looks like rather than releasing it directly, Fox licensed it out to Starz/Anchor Bay, and it's subsequently gone out of print

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM)

There's Amazon sellers for you.

@  Telly : (12 February 2019 - 12:49 PM)

thought about buying volcano on bluray last night, until i saw the price on amazon: $135. the used ones arent much cheaper at $90. i know the 3p sellers can set any price they want, but come on. $90-$135 for a 20 year old movie that was only so-so?

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 05:12 AM)

GOt my hopes up there for a bit. Last I heard it was nebulously in 2019.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 February 2019 - 05:00 AM)

Nope, none for REmake or Zero either.

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 04:13 AM)

Do we have a release date?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 February 2019 - 03:51 AM)

Looking forward to RE4 on Switch, it will be my annual playthrough.

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Don't call Floridans that. It's degrading to marine mammals.

@  Ashley : (12 February 2019 - 12:41 AM)

Oh, the huge manatee

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 February 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Anyone here ever been to the Manatee Viewing Center right outside Apollo Beach, Florida?

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:35 PM)

The manatees were extra eager that day.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 February 2019 - 08:10 PM)

Maybe they accidentally got some editorial oversight for a while or something.

@  Shrug : (11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM)

And it shifted gears the season after, it's like there was a different head writer or editor or something one year

@  Shrug : (11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was some random season after the cancellation that I thought was amazing, but I don't watch the show closely enough to tell you which one it was

@  Benbot : (11 February 2019 - 01:20 PM)

Your unintentional typo is right. It is definitely tp-tier material.

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:36 AM)

It was never tp-tier material but I used to be able to keep it on as white noise while I'm doing something else Now, I have to switch the channel because it just pisses me off at how unfunny it is.

@  Benbot : (11 February 2019 - 08:23 AM)

I don't think it's ever been very good since the initial cancellation/revival.

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:03 AM)

And still the same so-called "humor" but worse

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2019 - 08:00 AM)

New writers, new showrunners, fatigue. That shows had many changes over the years.

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 06:35 AM)

I don't know how it's possible but Family Guy has somehow gotten less funny.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 February 2019 - 08:47 PM)

Do you mean the retail price from when ToyBiz were making ML or the current price of vintage ToyBiz specimens?

@  B-Fox : (10 February 2019 - 08:40 PM)

Target had the entirety of the ML Deadpool Sauron BAF wave on discount. Got Omega Red and X-23 for the cost of 2 Toy Biz Marvel Legends.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 February 2019 - 02:30 PM)

How long do y'all wager it will be until Evolution Optimal Optimus shows at Ollie's in the U.S.?

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 February 2019 - 01:17 PM)

Kingdom Hearts 4: The Search For More Money.

@  fourteenwings : (10 February 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Actual lyrics to the ending theme of KH3: "I'm only crying 'cause I never dreamed it'd take this long."

@  Paladin : (10 February 2019 - 08:25 AM)

somebody wins, somebody dies, Disney gets all the money ever. The End.

Photo
- - - - -

NEWS - Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Preview and Review!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 News Team

News Team

Are there any more qualified than me to bring you the latest new

• Citizen
  • 34636 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

[Title Unknown]

Written by Shane McCarthy
Breakdowns by Guido Guidi
Finishes by Stephen Baskervile
Colors by John-Paul Bove
Letters by Tom B. Long
Edited by John Barber

TF_Drift_02-01.jpg?resize=150%2C150TF_Drift_02-02.jpg?resize=150%2C150TF_Drift_02-03.jpg?resize=150%2C150TF_Drift_02-04.jpg?resize=150%2C150TF_Drift_02-05.jpg?resize=150%2C150TF_Drift_02-06.jpg?resize=150%2C150TF_Drift_02-07.jpg?resize=150%2C150

Drift and Ratchet go toe-to-toe with Gigatron! Kinda. Mostly they just argue about whether the war’s really over. Meanwhile, Hellbat accuses Grit of being a traitor to the Decepticons. After a botched escape attempt, the three find themselves sharing a cell. Drift explains the secret of the Empire of Stone and this time the escape is successful. Kinda. Mostly they just discover the real secret of the Empire of Stone.

If I don’t sound very impressed with this, it’s because I’m not. The plot is just not very interesting to me. Drift talks about being conflicted more than I actually see it in him, and Ratchet feels generic. He could be numerous other Autobots with no change to the story or even his dialog. Speaking of, the dialog feels stilted and no one acts like themselves, including characters we’ve never met before. There seems to be a reason for that, but if it’s going the direction I think it is then it seems wasted on the new characters. Characters we know not acting like themselves creates instant intrigue; characters we don’t know not acting like themselves just seems unnecessarily confusing and often looks like poor writing until it’s made apparent. It also effectively neuters these new characters as being credible threats.

The art isn’t helping matters. I’m not sure why we’re essentially getting the “Regeneration One style” here. I don’t have a particular problem with it, but it doesn’t really work here. It puts this forced retro look on everything that’s incongruous with the other comics.

Maybe this mini will ramp up in the second half and turn out to be really good, but even as a dogged optimist I’m not really counting on it.

Favorite Line: “You Know Megatron as well as I do. Tell me, Deadlock–is this war over?” –Gigatron

View the full article

#2 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12364 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

So basically "Drift is Super-Important because he knows Super Secret MacGuffin things!"

Well I can see how thaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

M "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#3 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:45 AM

So, what IS the Empire of Stone? Please tell me it's not a rehash of Mummy 3 and Gigatron doesn't want to take over the universe with animated stone golems.

Also, still no sign of Knockout? This was a good opportunity to show off quasi-combining...

#4 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 11834 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:21 AM

If Gigatron honestly believes that Drift isn't buying time and saving Ratchet's (and his own) hide then he's an even bigger idiot than the orc teeth make him look. Also I for one would love to see someone, preferably Ratchet, take the piss out of Gigatron on the whole "kilo-mega-giga-tera-" thing. I do believe that Ratchet should always face death as he faced life, full of bitter sarcasm and sarcastic bitterness. Actually it would have been better if that was why Gigatron was going for the headcrush rather than "I just don't like Autobots!" angle.

As for the art, so long as it isn't the art for Syndromica or the Dead Universe parts of Dark Cybertron I can take anything.

#5 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

So, what IS the Empire of Stone? Please tell me it's not a rehash of Mummy 3 and Gigatron doesn't want to take over the universe with animated stone golems.

Um. :doh

Also, still no sign of Knockout? This was a good opportunity to show off quasi-combining...

We get Knockout. We do not get combining, quasi or otherwise.

#6 B-Fox

B-Fox
  • Citizen
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

Gigatron seems kind of dumb here.

And I am okay with that because if you go by the Robots in Disguise version of Car Robots, at least, his whole modus operandi was "ATTACK THAT ENERGY PLANET AND STEAL ITS ENERGY? WHAT A BRILLIANT SCHEME SCOURGE! GO FORTH AND DO IT AT ONCE!"   "SKY-BYTE, DO NOT FAIL ME AGAIN! SEE TO IT YOU GET THOSE SPYCHANGERS!"  mixed in with sitting in his lounging chair or arriving late to a battle to show off his alt-modes.

Gigatron always seemed like he had no credentials to be in charge other than he was just the leader because he happened to be a six-changer and so he just was "I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll just bluff my way through this by agreeing with ideas that *seem* right, making empty threats, and yelling."

Edited by B-Fox, 16 December 2014 - 11:07 AM.

MAH GEEWUN/MAH EYEDEEDUBBYA GOSPEL COMICS. The new eternal struggle

#7 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16634 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have no problem with Gigatron being detached from reality, but I do have a problem with Drift being "...confused".
Http://www.scatterville.com

#8 ExVee

ExVee

That Kup, he is a Chear

• Supporter
  • 9359 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

I have a problem with a lot of this title, and this issue did nothing to help that. Gigatron is sure living up to the Gigatron name, though!

#9 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16634 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'd like to think its not my fault, but when Drift left the lost light I figured it would be of narrative significance. I am not convinced that's what this is.

#10 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10633 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

That preview is beyond terrible. 

Tell me again why this book is being made? Did McCarthy have some sort of contract that guaranteed writing another mini, and they just couldn't put it off any longer? 

#11 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 9358 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Tell me again why this book is being made? Did McCarthy have some sort of contract that guaranteed writing another mini, and they just couldn't put it off any longer?

Yeah, I really have wondered how/why on Earth this series got made. I mean, if you look at Windblade or Primacy, it's very clear who IDW is marketing those books to/what they're trying to achieve with them.

But this? You've got the art team/style from Regeneration One, and the writer of All Hail Megatron. It's being marketed as a tie-in to MTMTE, and yet ignores its lead's wildly-popular characterisation from that book, and is generally dissimilar to MTMTE in tone and visuals. And it's not even doing the Furman-era Spotlight/Costa-era miniseries thing of introducing plot elements for the main book(s)...

Edited by Jalaguy, 16 December 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#12 (Deactivated) Skullgrin2014

(Deactivated) Skullgrin2014
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

I don't mind the angle of shell shocked Decepticons who think or refuse to beleive the war is over. Beyond that.

The story isn't entirely special or groundbreaking but it's alright,

I also I think there's a good excuse theory for Gigatron's deal, he's clearly a war era cybertronian. In that he was brought online during the war. Autobots and Decepticons seems to be all he knows. And he's grasping with the change and is having trouble accepting it. If he wasn't a dumbass following a cliche plot line. This would be interesting.

Also Drift's behaviour and Gigatron's could be amounted to psychological conditioning by Megatron in the war times? We have no idea what tactics Megatron's regime used to condition troops and followers.

Sorry if I'm trying to justify the story with fan ficish spectulation. I'm just thinking if there was an alluded reason much of this story would make a lot more sense. What did Gigatron do that emotionally affected Drift so horribly? Why is Gigatron somewhat out of touch with reality?

Edited by Skullgrin2014, 16 December 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#13 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22512 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Well at least RID Megatron is being written true to character.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#14 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16634 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

This does give me the go ahead to move RID Megs to my IDW shelf, so that part is worth mentioning.

#15 (Deactivated) Skullgrin2014

(Deactivated) Skullgrin2014
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

I'm guessing Megatron wasn't as obtuse as Gigatron assumes and there was a good reason to not activate the stone golems.

#16 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38145 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

There are honest-to-God stone golems?  That wasn't sarcasm I read up there?

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#17 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22512 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

If it wasn't McCarthy, I'd assumed it'd be the Omega Guardians.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#18 ExVee

ExVee

That Kup, he is a Chear

• Supporter
  • 9359 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

I'm uncomfortable with how near this thread is leaning to possible spoiler information without any actual warnings being present. Maybe some of this conversation should be held over until there's a normal spoilers-welcome discussion thread about it?

Not that I expect anyone especially cares about getting this book spoiled, but still...

#19 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

The only thing that might be called a spoiler is a thing I neither confirmed or denied.

#20 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1133 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Wait, hold the phone... Drift used to be a Decepticon?

WHY HASN'T ANYBODY TOLD US THIS BEFORE NOW

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.