Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

@  Trpodeca : (11 June 2019 - 03:55 AM)

I just wish they'd release the Astro City paperback trades.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:31 AM)

As an open-minded heterosexual, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM)

Currently in the process of re-reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Big props for the issue featuring the "Dancing Master" and its portrayal of non-stereotypical gay characters.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 June 2019 - 05:25 AM)

Don't phone charges often contain special rapid charge circuitry, though? The voltage might be higher too, given the selfie stick probably has a very basic battery.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 11:28 PM)

Glad to be of assistance!

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 10:32 PM)

*checks selfie stick and phone charger* huh. perfect fit. thanks!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 09:58 PM)

I would use the USB-to-AC adapter that came with my iPhone, though I gather you must have a different brand of cell phone.

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

In that case a generic adapter is probably your best bet, then. Keep in mind a lot of hotels now have plain USB outlets in rooms too, though; but I guess that's not guaranteed

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 05:31 PM)

yeah, i just need something small to plug into the wall. im not sure im taking my laptop on my trip later this year and i want a way to charge my stuff

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM)

They also have wall outlets with built-in USB in addition to the two regular plugs; I installed those around my place so I have USB ports everywhere

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:02 PM)

You might be able to get a generic adapter to use with it at Radio Shack if you know the appropriate voltages or whatever

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:01 PM)

It came with a USB cable with no AC adapter? A lot of lower priced electronics do that, presumably assuming that USB is pretty ubiquitous

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Yeah, must be, I guess.

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:59 PM)

maybe having bluetooth has something to do with it?

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

the one i got has an on/off button, and came with a usb to attach to my laptop to charge it. its this one https://www.walmart....ility/432985497

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 04:51 PM)

Selfie sticks have power? I thought they were to just hold the phone away from you

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:44 PM)

need some technical help.how do i charge my selfie stick without using my laptop? is there some kind of portable charger? i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i dont know very much about this stuff

@  MEDdMI : (08 June 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Different songs or overdosing don't work for me. My brain can play multiple songs at once. Best to do something else to distract me.

@  Xellos : (08 June 2019 - 05:36 PM)

Still, the worst is having the last song I hear before going into work being stuck in my head all day.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Get a different song stuck in your head too. Let them battle for supremacy. Only the strong survive.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2019 - 03:53 PM)

Keep listening to it over and over until you got the lyrics memorized. By that point, it will start to fade out of your system.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I've discovered the easiest cure for having a song stuck in your head is overdosing to the point of fatigue.

@  Steevy Maximus : (08 June 2019 - 12:27 PM)

Jedi Fallen Order sure does look a LOT like a Souls style game with Star Wars flavoring

@  Kalidor : (07 June 2019 - 06:18 PM)

I have a hard time believing that you speaking at length and with great detail is something you wouldn't be good at. Glad you had fun.

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:51 PM)

Funny thing is I wasn't nervous at all. Might have helped that I was able to speak freely due to having assembled my speech from a lot of smaller segments I had previously told to my colleagues on the shopfloor, with a few punchlines added.

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:49 PM)

Allegedly I did well. Lots of applause, and was told I was leagues beyond the guy who spoke before me (though that wasn't difficult, that guy was dry as a river on Mars).

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:48 PM)

So I volunteered to hold a small speech at our strike assembly today (lots of Amazon employees, plus some people from IKEA, Smyths toys and some other local retailers).

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 June 2019 - 01:17 PM)

Today Dolly the Sheep and Super Salmon, tomorrow Neo Sapiens. We're through the looking glass people.

@  Kalidor : (07 June 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday @Pinkcolliebot

@  Pinkcolliebot : (07 June 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Today's My Birthday!!!

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 June 2019 - 03:16 AM)

Think how many copies of Optimus Prime's brain could fit on that.

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Problem Importing Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust into the US?

MP23 Exhaust Marlboro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#1 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64814 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

BigBadToyStore just sent this out:

Hi – We wanted to update you about a new development in regards to your preorder of the Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust figure from Takara.   We were just contacted by a law firm on behalf of Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA.  They informed us that the MP-23 Exhaust figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products marketed and sold in the USA.

The mark is  generally shaped like this:

|    |

|/\|

This mark is found on the hood/roof of the MP-23 car in red, and also in smaller green shapes on the left and right fenders.

They are concerned because these marks cannot be used on products that could be intended for children as dictated by the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement  (http://en.wikipedia....ement_Agreement). 

We must comply with the requests they have made in order to avoid legal action with Phillip Morris.   We have removed the MP-23 listing from our website.    Your preorders have been transferred to a generic unpublished listing in case the product is changed or modified before release.   If the product is not changed, we will be forced to cancel all preorders and we will not be able to sell this product. 

We apologize for the trouble on this item.

Thanks!

Joel Boblit

President

www.bigbadtoystore.com

Thanks!

Joel Boblit

President

Hmm...

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#2 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Looks like you'll have to order him in from China or Japan

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#3 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Well, guess I'll have to go to one of my Japanese websites.

QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#4 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10221 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hmm. Well, if I can't get him, then I can't get him. That's life.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#5 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

Well, it's off to dealers not based in the US, then.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#6 Megatoron

Megatoron
  • Citizen
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

But this product is not intended for children, it's for ADULT COLLECTORS.

#7 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9100 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Not at all surprising.  I've got him preordered from HLJ.  I'll see how that goes.

#8 News Team

News Team

Are there any more qualified than me to bring you the latest new

• Citizen
  • 36413 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

BBTS sent out an email Friday evening explaining some possible issues in getting the MP-23 Exhaust figure into the US. Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA are not only citing that the figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products sold in the USA, they also express concerns in having such infringements appear on a toy that could potentially be marketed towards children.

The trade dress in question is of course represented in the red shape on the hood of the car that was based on the original Diaclone Wheeljack Marlboro 598 design, that itself was based on the real life Lancia Marlboro sponsored race car seen below.

mbracecar.jpg?resize=500%2C253

exhaust.jpg?resize=500%2C324

From BBTS:

Hi â We wanted to update you about a new development in regards to your preorder of the Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust figure from Takara.   We were just contacted by a law firm on behalf of Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA.  They informed us that the MP-23 Exhaust figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products marketed and sold in the USA.

The mark is  generally shaped like this:

|    |

|/|

This mark is found on the hood/roof of the MP-23 car in red, and also in smaller green shapes on the left and right fenders.

They are concerned because these marks cannot be used on products that could be intended for children as dictated by the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement  (http://en.wikipedia....ement_Agreement).

We must comply with the requests they have made in order to avoid legal action with Phillip Morris.   We have removed the MP-23 listing from our website.    Your preorders have been transferred to a generic unpublished listing in case the product is changed or modified before release.   If the product is not changed, we will be forced to cancel all preorders and we will not be able to sell this product.

We apologize for the trouble on this item.

Thanks!

Joel Boblit

President

www.bigbadtoystore.com

We’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available — in the mean time, please be sure to comment in our forums topic.

Thanks to BigBadToyStore for the heads up!

View the full article

#9 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#10 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51680 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

You mean I have to preorder him for $30 cheaper at HLJ?

THE HORROR!

card-strongarm.jpg

#11 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

they also express concerns in having such infringements appear on a toy that could potentially be marketed towards children.

Which is kinda the reason they're being sold as an exclusive that you have to import...

Although I have to admit that the cigarette company using "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" as their objection is strangely fascinating.

#12 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18795 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

HA! I called it (in reverse... sort of). 

I noticed Takara changed the chevron so it was rounded instead of the sharp angle in the middle. I guess that wasn't enough. Still, if they really are making the point about the trademark looks like this: |/\| then they're wrong since Takara's doesn't.

post-4936-0-07611400-1410204168_thumb.jp

Apparently Reprolabels got in trouble for copying the shape even without the name too which is why they don't offer Marlboor stickers or any other variation (according to their Facebook page a while back).

Edited by Dake, 21 November 2014 - 09:34 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#13 Blindmouse

Blindmouse

Ya need a cookie?

• Supporter
  • 6676 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:05 PM

You mean I have to preorder him for $30 cheaper at HLJ?

THE HORROR!

Unfortunately HLJ's preorders are all sold out.

:(

#14 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64814 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

They weren't when the news hit.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#15 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51680 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

They could always open them back up.

(I had mine in months ago)

card-strongarm.jpg

#16 Megaplexess Prime

Megaplexess Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

Feh.

Judge me when you're happy with your life.

#17 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18795 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, I stacked an Exhaust from TFsource for back up. We'll see if they pull them too.

Edited by Dake, 21 November 2014 - 10:33 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#18 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

This makes sense.

they also express concerns in having such infringements appear on a toy that could potentially be marketed towards children.

Which is kinda the reason they're being sold as an exclusive that you have to import...

Although I have to admit that the cigarette company using "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" as their objection is strangely fascinating.
It's not that so much as "look at our legal liability if someone we don't control uses our colors and design in a wink and a nod to a thing we sponsored 30 years ago in a toy that while intended for adult collectors is available to children and is based on what was originally a children's toy."

Think about how much money that original settlement must have (rightfully) cost them. They don't want to have anyone accusing them of breaking the deal and opening them up to further litigation on the matter. They play a dangerous game with legal liability and public perception as it is, and they know it.

And considering that it's friggin' cigarette sponsorship that even made this toy a thing in the first place, I'm personally just fine with it ending up as one of those weird Japan-only contributions to TFs just like Tanooki balls, that weird Tai bath statue, and Kiss Players.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#19 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3571 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

Looks like the laws that killed Joe Camel may be used to ban MP-23 Exhaust from import.  But if BBTS has to cancel them to avoid legal trouble, so be it.

#20 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27842 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:23 AM

Such exhausting news.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.