Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Problem Importing Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust into the US?

MP23 Exhaust Marlboro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#1 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65980 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

BigBadToyStore just sent this out:

Hi – We wanted to update you about a new development in regards to your preorder of the Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust figure from Takara.   We were just contacted by a law firm on behalf of Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA.  They informed us that the MP-23 Exhaust figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products marketed and sold in the USA.

The mark is  generally shaped like this:

|    |

|/\|

This mark is found on the hood/roof of the MP-23 car in red, and also in smaller green shapes on the left and right fenders.

They are concerned because these marks cannot be used on products that could be intended for children as dictated by the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement  (http://en.wikipedia....ement_Agreement). 

We must comply with the requests they have made in order to avoid legal action with Phillip Morris.   We have removed the MP-23 listing from our website.    Your preorders have been transferred to a generic unpublished listing in case the product is changed or modified before release.   If the product is not changed, we will be forced to cancel all preorders and we will not be able to sell this product. 

We apologize for the trouble on this item.

Thanks!

Joel Boblit

President

www.bigbadtoystore.com

Thanks!

Joel Boblit

President

Hmm...

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#2 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Looks like you'll have to order him in from China or Japan

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#3 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Well, guess I'll have to go to one of my Japanese websites.

QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#4 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10520 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hmm. Well, if I can't get him, then I can't get him. That's life.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#5 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39139 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

Well, it's off to dealers not based in the US, then.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#6 Megatoron

Megatoron
  • Citizen
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

But this product is not intended for children, it's for ADULT COLLECTORS.

#7 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9219 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Not at all surprising.  I've got him preordered from HLJ.  I'll see how that goes.

#8 News Team

News Team

Are there any more qualified than me to bring you the latest new

• Citizen
  • 38772 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

BBTS sent out an email Friday evening explaining some possible issues in getting the MP-23 Exhaust figure into the US. Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA are not only citing that the figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products sold in the USA, they also express concerns in having such infringements appear on a toy that could potentially be marketed towards children.

The trade dress in question is of course represented in the red shape on the hood of the car that was based on the original Diaclone Wheeljack Marlboro 598 design, that itself was based on the real life Lancia Marlboro sponsored race car seen below.

mbracecar.jpg?resize=500%2C253

exhaust.jpg?resize=500%2C324

From BBTS:

Hi â We wanted to update you about a new development in regards to your preorder of the Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust figure from Takara.   We were just contacted by a law firm on behalf of Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA.  They informed us that the MP-23 Exhaust figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products marketed and sold in the USA.

The mark is  generally shaped like this:

|    |

|/|

This mark is found on the hood/roof of the MP-23 car in red, and also in smaller green shapes on the left and right fenders.

They are concerned because these marks cannot be used on products that could be intended for children as dictated by the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement  (http://en.wikipedia....ement_Agreement).

We must comply with the requests they have made in order to avoid legal action with Phillip Morris.   We have removed the MP-23 listing from our website.    Your preorders have been transferred to a generic unpublished listing in case the product is changed or modified before release.   If the product is not changed, we will be forced to cancel all preorders and we will not be able to sell this product.

We apologize for the trouble on this item.

Thanks!

Joel Boblit

President

www.bigbadtoystore.com

We’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available — in the mean time, please be sure to comment in our forums topic.

Thanks to BigBadToyStore for the heads up!

View the full article

#9 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#10 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52033 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

You mean I have to preorder him for $30 cheaper at HLJ?

THE HORROR!

card-strongarm.jpg

#11 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

they also express concerns in having such infringements appear on a toy that could potentially be marketed towards children.

Which is kinda the reason they're being sold as an exclusive that you have to import...

Although I have to admit that the cigarette company using "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" as their objection is strangely fascinating.

#12 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19231 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

HA! I called it (in reverse... sort of). 

I noticed Takara changed the chevron so it was rounded instead of the sharp angle in the middle. I guess that wasn't enough. Still, if they really are making the point about the trademark looks like this: |/\| then they're wrong since Takara's doesn't.

post-4936-0-07611400-1410204168_thumb.jp

Apparently Reprolabels got in trouble for copying the shape even without the name too which is why they don't offer Marlboor stickers or any other variation (according to their Facebook page a while back).

Edited by Dake, 21 November 2014 - 09:34 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#13 Blindmouse

Blindmouse

Ya need a cookie?

• Supporter
  • 6676 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:05 PM

You mean I have to preorder him for $30 cheaper at HLJ?

THE HORROR!

Unfortunately HLJ's preorders are all sold out.

:(

#14 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65980 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

They weren't when the news hit.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#15 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52033 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

They could always open them back up.

(I had mine in months ago)

card-strongarm.jpg

#16 Megaplexess Prime

Megaplexess Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4629 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

Feh.

Judge me when you're happy with your life.

#17 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19231 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, I stacked an Exhaust from TFsource for back up. We'll see if they pull them too.

Edited by Dake, 21 November 2014 - 10:33 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#18 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

This makes sense.

they also express concerns in having such infringements appear on a toy that could potentially be marketed towards children.

Which is kinda the reason they're being sold as an exclusive that you have to import...

Although I have to admit that the cigarette company using "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" as their objection is strangely fascinating.
It's not that so much as "look at our legal liability if someone we don't control uses our colors and design in a wink and a nod to a thing we sponsored 30 years ago in a toy that while intended for adult collectors is available to children and is based on what was originally a children's toy."

Think about how much money that original settlement must have (rightfully) cost them. They don't want to have anyone accusing them of breaking the deal and opening them up to further litigation on the matter. They play a dangerous game with legal liability and public perception as it is, and they know it.

And considering that it's friggin' cigarette sponsorship that even made this toy a thing in the first place, I'm personally just fine with it ending up as one of those weird Japan-only contributions to TFs just like Tanooki balls, that weird Tai bath statue, and Kiss Players.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#19 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3612 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

Looks like the laws that killed Joe Camel may be used to ban MP-23 Exhaust from import.  But if BBTS has to cancel them to avoid legal trouble, so be it.

#20 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28971 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:23 AM

Such exhausting news.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.