Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

@  Rodimus Supreme : (05 October 2019 - 09:29 PM)

UNICRON GOT MADE, BOIS!!!

@  Trpodeca : (05 October 2019 - 07:19 AM)

They seem to be treating all the games with the same reverence.Even ReCoded, which was just an excuse to redo the first game again.

Photo

Overwatch

New Blizzard game

1224 replies to this topic

#21 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8463 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hmm...

Metzen relayed the tale during an Overwatch press conference at BlizzCon. He also said that Blizzard is trying to represent a more diverse, less overly sexualized group of characters than they did in the past.

Yeah.. they're sort of there with the diversity, race-wise, but all of the female characters so far look like they have the same super-sexy body with slight variations.

The guys on the other hand have cool weird stuff like a dwarf, a robot monk, a gorilla, and an old guy completely obscured by giant power armor.

They're not terrible, but they could be better. 

It seems like not all the classes have been revealed, so hopefully there are some surprises left.

Yeah people are already complaining about Widowmaker. But even if the body types aren't super varied I think Tracer, Pharah and Mercy make a decent balance to Widowmaker and Symmetra in terms of sexy vs practical. People have wibbled on Mercy's boob plate but even then you got two sexy, two practical and one inbetween.

#22 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4124 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hmm...

Metzen relayed the tale during an Overwatch press conference at BlizzCon. He also said that Blizzard is trying to represent a more diverse, less overly sexualized group of characters than they did in the past.

Yeah.. they're sort of there with the diversity, race-wise, but all of the female characters so far look like they have the same super-sexy body with slight variations.

The guys on the other hand have cool weird stuff like a dwarf, a robot monk, a gorilla, and an old guy completely obscured by giant power armor.

It seems like not all the classes have been revealed, so hopefully there are some surprises left.

Yeah people are already complaining about Widowmaker. But even if the body types aren't super varied I think Tracer, Pharah and Mercy make a decent balance to Widowmaker and Symmetra in terms of sexy vs practical. People have wibbled on Mercy's boob plate but even then you got two sexy, two practical and one inbetween.

Pretty much the Diablo 3 approach.  That game actually had some pretty decent female designs for the pc's, with only the Demon Hunter being annoyingly fettishy.  The Overwatch ladies, have a pretty nice balance.  Widowmaker, the "sexist" by far, is actually the one I find the most dull.  Tracer got bonus points for the cinematic, she's pretty fun in it.

As for the game.  I just am not into pvp style gameplay.  It is a shame, I love the designs and the world, but with no single or co-op campaign, I have a hard time getting really interested.  I do hope it does well for Blizzard, and it does have a good chance to do so.  Team Fortress 2 is very old now, and Overwatch will get attention for this by virtue of being Blizzard, so if the gameplay is there, it will do well.

Edited by Monocle, 08 November 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#23 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

Hmm...

Honestly I think Tracer and Mercy are still pretty sexualized. Tracer's got a nice butt.

Speaking of butts, Widowmaker's butt inflates for some reason. I have no idea why.

PM me if you're bored!

#24 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

It strikes me that feminine beauty is such that simply being feminine can be construed as "sexy". That's the astonishing power they wield.

Use it with care.

No, but really. I mean, they weren't wiggling any of their wobbly bits. And there is diversity in that group. I didn't have a problem with any of it. Dudes show off their guns or go shirtless all the time. Our heroes often have ideal physiques because the flabby guy isn't gonna make it up that flight of steps to the final boss, you know? If a lady can look the way she wants to (or she's written to want to) and demonstrate superior skill, that's damned empowering and good on her for it.

#25 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8463 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

Welcome to the argument that's been going on forever Strafe. Where the line between feminine and sexualized is. What constitutes over sexualized. Why ideal bodies are ok for one but not for all. It's an argument with terminology like "power fantasy" and "male gaze" among others.

It's impossible to make everyone happy because what some people consider a personal power fantasy others will consider a outdated harmful representation that should not exist

I was actually surprised when he said he didn't know if he was doing it to the guys or not as usually people who talk about this stuff claim it's impossible to over sexualized males.

Edited by Murry, 09 November 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#26 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4169 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

just make an awesome  fat girl protagonist. that kicks ass and takes names. Something like a female kung fu panda . 

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#27 Strafe

Strafe

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

It's impossible to make everyone happy because what some people consider a personal power fantasy others will consider a outdated harmful representation that should not exist

When you're right, you're right.

The sexuality isn't getting top billing, so I don't see any harm being done, here. As I said, the group has diversity. If the game box depicts something that looks like it came straight out of a Vampirella or Dejah Thoris comic, then I'll concede intent.

People have their reasons for wanting to show off as much as the people who are humble about their appearance. It's not breaking the suspension of disbelief to see fictitious characters with such motivations. You said it yourself - where is the line? I'm not convinced, by what we've seen, that the intent by Blizzard's developers is to cross it. I understand why these discussions are happening more often than ever. If they herald progress and understanding, then I'll be glad that they're happening.

#28 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8463 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Even marketing doesn't convey intent however. Depending on who is doing the marketing anyways. Someone whose opinions I'm not a fan if argued that femshep in mass effect was evidence if a trope because the marketing focused in maleshep. But Rhe publisher decided that, not the developer who made the two options completely equal.

Then you got cases like Bayonetta when the sexualization is over the top even and clearly intended to be that way but the character herself has been said by her designer to be her own personal power fantasy. And I can see how.

I would argue even there isn't a real problem having pure T&A titles or characters as long as they aren't the dominant representation in the industry. Nor is there really any harm in enjoying that kind of stuff in and of itself.

Edited by Murry, 09 November 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#29 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35132 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

It strikes me that feminine beauty is such that simply being feminine can be construed as "sexy". That's the astonishing power they wield.
Use it with care.

No, but really. I mean, they weren't wiggling any of their wobbly bits. And there is diversity in that group. I didn't have a problem with any of it. Dudes show off their guns or go shirtless all the time. Our heroes often have ideal physiques because the flabby guy isn't gonna make it up that flight of steps to the final boss, you know? If a lady can look the way she wants to (or she's written to want to) and demonstrate superior skill, that's damned empowering and good on her for it.

I just wonder why all the girls have to be conventionally attractive when the male cast includes a monkey and a hunched over diminutive old man.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#30 Strafe

Strafe

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hanzo?

Even marketing doesn't convey intent however. Depending on who is doing the marketing anyways. Someone whose opinions I'm not a fan if argued that femshep in mass effect was evidence if a trope because the marketing focused in maleshep.

But but but female Commander Shepard shared a trailer and a case cover with the male Commander Shepard! So. The Bayonetta example you used is a good one, I think. We have a character who is clearly strong, confident, and capable. Maybe that's not enough to undo the perceived harm being wrought? I have no idea, I've never played Bayonetta. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about this kind of stuff.

We're way off the rails, here. Intent can be interpreted and twisted any way a person wants it, but there's probably a good reason why I've never seen Blizzard accused of selling sexuality or being insensitive* before.

*Unless you play an Alliance toon!

*Brewfest is also kinda iffy.

Edited by Strafe, 09 November 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#31 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35132 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm not talking about the fact that one or some of the men are conventionally attractive. I'm talking about hoaw none of the women are allowed to be as diverse body type wise.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#32 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'm not talking about the fact that one or some of the men are conventionally attractive. I'm talking about hoaw none of the women are allowed to be as diverse body type wise.

Cuz nobody wants to play as a fat chick or a dumpy chick. Harsh but true.

The reason the dorf and the monkey are in the game is for the comedic superhero/videogame cliche factor. You know, so players can giggle at banana jokes and bad accents.

PM me if you're bored!

#33 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28040 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

This is so the First Person MOBA we've been waiting for.

xC9l3eY.gif

#34 Strafe

Strafe

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

What's with that, anyway. I've noticed a lot of terrible acting in Blizzard games, of late.

One fat guy. One. An ape is not a guy.

These discussions are tiring. If you're going to be argumentative for the pure "joy" of arguing, then you should learn to be fair as well.

#35 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35132 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

... Why are you assuming I'm doing this for the joy of it?

I think its stilted and an unfortunately tired element of character design in what is otherwise an amazingly creative game. I'm not starting a fight because I love getting people riled up, I'm saying my peace in a discussion thread OTHER PEOPLE started and because it's something that I feel strongly about.

And Winston is clearly identified as a he. Hell, the robot is referred to as a dude.

#36 Strafe

Strafe

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Because it's a frivolous thing to argue when there is, again, one fat Dwarf. The rest are dudes who are clearly fit.

If it sounds simple, that's because it is. Animals are animals and robots are robots. They're allowed more freedom of diverse design than humans are, but apes tend to be pretty big. Especially fictitious ones that talk. Obviously!

How about that Overwatch, eh? Eh?!

It doesn't help, I know, but the Dwarf and robots are the ones I'd be most interested in playing. I feel that way about, like, every game ever. Tracer has a lot of charm, so she's high on the list, as well.

#37 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

http://a.pomf.se/katxxs.webm

so can someone explain what's going on here to me?

PM me if you're bored!

#38 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8463 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

well obviously widow activates their sniper mode which slides on their sniper sights and inflates ass pockets so that they can sit around somewhere for a long time while they take careful aim.

More seriously probably blending animation between morphs and there was a different in the ass slider between the times the animations were made. It actually took me several times to even notice the ass thing as I was looking at the eyes wondering why you were asking.

#39 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

http://www.forbes.co...-project-titan/

Oh, so that's why it came out so quickly.

PM me if you're bored!

#40 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4579 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

Put me in the "Blizzard needs to just make kick ass CGI movies and/or TV series" group. The animation team is top notch in all that they do, simply amazing!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users