Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM)

Just like how TRON and Captain N are early examples of "getting transported into a video game"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2019 - 02:07 PM)

That would explain why it's so common for isekai settings to be blatantly RPG-inspired.

@  Arazyr : (14 January 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Would the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon count as isekai? 8^)

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:06 PM)

I am in the exceedingly unpleasant position of knowing what you're talking about

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:05 PM)

So I'll just say I can consume the series without endorsing the real-life lie that false rape accusations are common and successful.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:04 PM)

I would go on to talk about that, but alas, that would spoil significant future story details about the accuser.

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Shield Hero dared to have a male character falsely accused of rape, right?

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:02 PM)

At least now people will stop shitting on slice-of-life shows....

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

listen just because it has shield in its name does not mean you need to ally with it

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

oh good lord

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

In fact, the Shield Hero series does not portray slavery as a good thing nor keep the initial slave characters down for the count.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

If you're referring to The Rising of the Shield Hero, the backlash from some Western fans is misaimed, IMO.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:59 AM)

I wish I was more surprised that "slavery apologetics" is a thing. Still disgusted.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:53 AM)

But surely we all know the best isekai is Captain N.

Photo

Overwatch

New Blizzard game

1194 replies to this topic

#1 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

So at Blizzcon Blizzard announced their new game, Overwatch a team/hero based shooter.

Cinematic trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

site:

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Some info from blizzcon

Story
  • The game is set on Earth, 60 years in the future
  • Robots became very common in the future and they went crazy, attacking cities all over the world. The war that resulted against the robots was the Omnic (?) Crisis.
  • The strike team that took on the robots was Overwatch.
  • For the next 30 years after the war, Overwatch was a worldwide agency that displayed how great people could be when they came together, representing heroism and sacrifice.
  • In the last few years, Overwatch started to fall apart.

Gameplay
  • Chris Metzen is only doing one voice in this game.
  • Blizzard has been making competitive PvP games for a long time and this will be yet another.
  • Overwatch will have some dark gritty areas, but it will mostly be a world you will want to come back to.
  • The game is all about heroes.
  • The game will be accessible with non-twitch options.
  • You can do things other than put a crosshair over targets, as that is what drives people away from other shooters.
  • The game is less-lethal. You will die, but you should die less frequently than in current modern military shooters. With more time alive, you are able to do more interesting things and interact with your team more.
  • The teams are going to be 6v6, which is just big enough to make it fun.
  • There are Payload and Capture Point maps, no deathmatch mode.
  • The game is focused on Heroes, not classes. Each hero has a unique story.
  • There are 12 playable characters at Blizzcon, with many more to come.
  • Tracer has a ~10 meter teleport / blink that uses energy. Enough energy to do 3 blinks in a row.
  • Tracer has Recall, which puts her back where she was 3 seconds ago. This also includes health, ammo, and energy.
  • Lots of the story is going to take place outside of the game, unlike previous Blizzard games.
  • Regenerate ult by doing and taking damage.

Hero Roles
  • Offense - Scout, harass, press the objective, high damage. (Pharah, Reaper, Tracer, Hanzo)
  • Defense - Guard locations, create choke points, establish a front. (Widowmaker, Bastion, Torbjorn)
  • Tank - Protectors, high survivability, disruption, lead the charge, have armor to reduce damage. (Reinhardt, Winston)
  • Support - Heal, buff, utility. (Zenyatta, Mercy, Symmetra)

Maps and Game Modes
  • Exotic worldwide locations
  • Simple objectives
  • Encourage hero mobility
  • Team focus encounters
  • Temple of Anubis - At the base of a technological pyramid.
  • Hanamura - Temple grounds, homeland of Hanzo.
  • King's Row - 30 years ago there was a population of robots that lived below the streets. People were going to send an EMP underground to destroy them.
  • You can change to another hero every time you die.

Q&A
  • They aren't talking about the cost yet, so no idea if it will be free to play, a one time purchase, or something else.
  • There are elements of Titan in Overwatch, both were Earth based, there were some shared ideas, but it is different from Titan.
  • There is no customization to the gameplay. Initially there was a robust customization system, but there are too many heroes to keep track of all of the customization that can be done. Customization works in Heroes of the Storm because it is a slower paced game.
  • Overwatch will be on PC, consoles are something they can look at in the future.
  • It is too early to talk about system requirements, but they should be reasonable, just like other Blizzard games.
  • The game will be balanced so that two of a hero on a team will be okay, but more than that will likely put you at a disadvantage.
  • They aren't ready to talk about skins, leveling, or achievement systems yet, but they are all good ideas.
  • There is party chat and team chat, with party chat being your group that you queued with. The team is also working on VO and chat communication.
  • There will be some kind of long term progression in the game.
  • The team is looking at outside Voice Chat options, as players prefer that over in game chat usually.

I think it looks really good. the designs do remind me of Wildstar mixed with Big Hero 6 but still has a lot of charm.Looks fun will give it a go when it comes out

#2 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

We want the TF2/LOL audience.

PM me if you're bored!

#3 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Well they really want the LoL audience since they already have that Heroes of the storm thing

#4 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

Not saying it was the First Ones but...

• Retired Staff
  • 18553 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

As much as I want to go "UGH, another online shooter" This actually looks really cool. I could see myself get into this pretty easily.

#5 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

Well they really want the LoL audience since they already have that Heroes of the storm thing

How's that going, anyway?

PM me if you're bored!

#6 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

How's that going, anyway?

Well I hate Dota/LoL so to me it just looks like Dota in a blizzard skin but I have heard its enjoyable.

it enters closed Beta in Jan

Edited by Goblez, 07 November 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#7 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 14378 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

• There are Payload and Capture Point maps, no deathmatch mode.

Well, there goes my interest.

"Whether it's directly or not, you prey on others to live. That reality never changes. And it's the same for everyone here."

#8 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

The designs are cool. I look forward to seeing more videos, or comics or whatever, with them and potentially buying action figures.

The game however sounds like it is very much not my thing.

edit: Why would you admit to having removed gameplay customization?

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 03:31 AM.

#9 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:24 AM

Oh. Tracer. /dreamy sigh

Couldn't we just get a movie using the characters and art seen in that cinematic, instead? I like shooters, but the experience as it is described (albeit vaguely) there does very little to grab my interest. The world itself is fantastic, though.

#10 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20613 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

Well I'm sold.  I'm not big on shooters, but the crazy 'everyone plays different' mechanics are very appealing to me.  But even if the game looked crap, I'm completely hooked on the world.  That's the most fun looking new superhero group since The Incredibles.

Now the only question is if my poor pos mac will be able to play it.  It runs Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm fine, but as those are literally the only games I play on it (that and Hearthstone), well, I'm hoping for low settings at least.  But Blizz is usually good at making games playable.

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 08 November 2014 - 04:39 AM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#11 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:43 AM

I think I want this. Wonder if that was a deliberate Monkeyman homage with the glasses. Only thing I disliked was Tracer's accent. Mary Poppins wants her back.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

I'll definitely at least give this a shot.

Symmetra and Bastion are probably going to be my two top picks.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#13 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:13 AM

So what company would be either most likely or best suited to make a Bastion that actually transforms?

I've never bought anything from them because they're out of my price range, but ThreeA seems to be killing it when it comes to licensed mechanical designs. Although I don't think they've done anything transformer-y?

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#14 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

Oh. Tracer. /dreamy sigh

Couldn't we just get a movie using the characters and art seen in that cinematic, instead? I like shooters, but the experience as it is described (albeit vaguely) there does very little to grab my interest. The world itself is fantastic, though.

Pretty much my reaction. This is isn't the first time a game's drawn me in with characters and setting only for it to be multiplayer shooter with no story to it.

That said:

qczETfc.jpg

PM me if you're bored!

#15 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:58 AM

Weren't there controllable cyber-gorillas in a shooter a couple years ago?

edit: Ah yes, it was Mindjack.

That's what I thought of when I saw the first screenshot of this game.

Although, character-wise, I pegged Winston as a Hank McCoy/Beast type right away.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#16 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14058 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

God Damnit Blizzard!  Just make movies already!!!!!!

that said, I will be playing this.  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#17 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8321 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Blizzard Fortress. Instead if collecting hats you will grind out progressively more ostentatious shoulders with a real money marketplace that allows you to purchase sockets for your shoulders.

In which you can place hats

#18 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Oh. Tracer. /dreamy sigh

Pretty much my reaction. This is isn't the first time a game's drawn me in with characters and setting only for it to be multiplayer shooter with no story to it.

If a campaign of any kind is revealed, that would be enough to get me to pounce on this. Definitely. I'd kinda expect it be mentioned in the unveiling, though, if it existed. There are a zillion venues for gamers to spit bullets at each other, I'm going to need more than that.

Edit:

The deep and rich story will take place outside of the game. The story shouldn't hinder or restrict the gameplay in any way.

Welp!

Still, I'll look at a comic, or something. It's a pretty neat world they've built, there.

Edited by Strafe, 08 November 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#19 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hmm...

Metzen relayed the tale during an Overwatch press conference at BlizzCon. He also said that Blizzard is trying to represent a more diverse, less overly sexualized group of characters than they did in the past.

Yeah.. they're sort of there with the diversity, race-wise, but all of the female characters so far look like they have the same super-sexy body with slight variations.

The guys on the other hand have cool weird stuff like a dwarf, a robot monk, a gorilla, and an old guy completely obscured by giant power armor.

They're not terrible, but they could be better. 

It seems like not all the classes have been revealed, so hopefully there are some surprises left.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#20 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 26943 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

So it's a MOBA first person shooter?  Cause that's what it looks like to me.

Ironbite-Team Fortress will eat this alive.

xC9l3eY.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users