Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 August 2018 - 08:40 PM)

I saw him on The Trek BBS some months before he hit the Allspark.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 05:47 PM)

He was considered an annoying pest even back then.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 05:47 PM)

I finally managed to dig up some of Jason Irelan's earliest posts, at the Alvaro Comicboards Transformers forum. Dating back to 2003.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 12:43 PM)

The best thing is that repeatedly buying the same cabinet means an increasing routine in assembling the things.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 August 2018 - 10:39 AM)

Welp, beats me. I got four shelves.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 08:38 AM)

Finally I can showcase my collection in an appropriate manner.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 08:38 AM)

I bought thirteen display cabinets for my new apartment from Ikea.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 August 2018 - 12:42 AM)

*groan*...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 August 2018 - 11:43 PM)

Well don't hang up on us, tel us abaud it!

@  Cybersnark : (18 August 2018 - 04:25 PM)

I'm back with a new modem!

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 03:58 PM)

And I just managed to clean out my bed drawers, so I can move on to the next step when I'm ready.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 03:45 PM)

I doubt I set any records, but now my cat can't jump on my PC and hit the power button or reset button, so... improvement.

@  RichardT1977 : (18 August 2018 - 02:28 PM)

Back in St. Olaf they used to have IKEA building contests...

@  Paladin : (18 August 2018 - 11:44 AM)

enjoy yur affordable Svedish crap.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 11:33 AM)

Ikea is dangerous. I bought a new desk and a bed frame...

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 August 2018 - 11:19 AM)

Var.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Oh, and there's also a few percent extra wage for every overtime hour on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Some people just work an hour extra every day and then request a day off when they have collected enough hours.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Come in on your day off? Work an hour extra on a normal working day? Counts. What you do with your overtime doesn't matter just as long as you worked overtime in the first place.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Anything goes - filing a request for financial compensation for your overtime, getting them compensated by spare time either in full "stay at home" days or "go home early" days (always with permission by your superior), it doesn't matter. What matters is that you worked longer than your contract and your official shift plan require you on any given day.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:16 AM)

Now the important thing here is that overtime is clocked daily, so if you work an hour extra (all overtime prior to the Christmas peak season is voluntary) and then immediately work an hour less on the following day (assuming you got your superior's permission), you may have a net zero on your overtime account but still scored one hour for the premium regardless.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:14 AM)

In other news, I unlocked an achievement at work: There is an agreement between the works council and the employer which states that anyone who works 55 overtime hours this year between January and the end of September gets a premium in October.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:12 AM)

Of course, the idiots keep bringing up the fact that DC used it "first", despite us telling them over and over again that who was "first" is completely irrelevant in trademarks.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:10 AM)

Actually they just settled.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2018 - 05:03 AM)

Sounds like Hasbro should win it easily.. They'be been using it constantly for years, so even if DC did have it, they haven't been using and defending their trademark.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 04:54 AM)

Well, haven't in a long time, that is.

And there haven't been any toys based on DC's Teen Titans Bumblebee character until recently.

Because Hasbro is selling toys.

The trademark dispute was specifically about toys.

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:50 AM)

Thought to be fair I didn't even know Hasbro and DC were having a trademark dispute. I thought that was something that would have been settled years ago (and DC wouldn't be doing much with their Bumblebee at the moment given Marvel's using Wasp at the moment)

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:37 AM)

It sounds like the kind of person isn't going to be deflected by petty concerns like "reason" or "facts".

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 04:18 AM)

I told him repeatedly that the insects are completely irrelevant because THEY ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING TOYS (or ANY business at all, for that matter).

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:08 AM)

Even if he meant that the word "bumblebee" has been used to describe a particular type of insect (which is a much more coherent statement) it's still wrong.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 03:40 AM)

Claiming that Hasbro's trademark has always been for "Autobot Bumblebee" (a quick look at any toy packaging in the past 12 years proves this wrong), Apple the computer company has never held a trademark for "Apple", only for "Apple Computers" (the USPTO database proves this wrong), you cannot trademark common words (the USPTO database proves this wrong), the insects have been using the name "Bumblebee" for thousands of years (insects don't speak English), and ARGHHHH.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 03:38 AM)

Jesus, there's this moron at TFW2005 who has a history of exceptionally outrageous bulls*** claims who is making all sorts of provably false statements in the thread about the Hasbro/DC "Bumblebee" trademark dispute.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 August 2018 - 12:06 AM)

If you stop for gas/directions shortly before getting there and the attendant is unusually creepy and/or inbred, turn back

@  Noideaforaname : (17 August 2018 - 09:49 PM)

Booked a cheap cabin in the stormy mountains filled with alcohol. This is either a great find or the start of a horror film.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 August 2018 - 06:55 PM)

I loved those commercials...

@  Patch : (17 August 2018 - 06:14 PM)

Paladin drank Bud Ice once in the 90s, and the penguins have been after him ever since.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2018 - 01:44 PM)

You weren't using it anyway.

@  Paladin : (17 August 2018 - 12:11 PM)

one by one the penguins steal my sanity...

@  Donocropolis : (17 August 2018 - 06:30 AM)

New band name: The Sabre Worf Hypothesis

@  wonko the sane? : (16 August 2018 - 06:36 AM)

That never goes away. I still have little panic attacks when I see water where it's not supposed to be. I've lived through enough leaking roofs, broken pipes and floods to know it could be a very bad sign.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 August 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Despite my parents explaining that to me when I was a kid, I still half-panic every time I see condensation dripping.

@  Shrug : (15 August 2018 - 08:23 PM)

Yup. If the water happens to be on the left or right of the vehicle, make sure to remember that. That way it's real easy to tell if it's something else dripping.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:15 PM)

So I checked online and it appears... it's totally normal, that's apparently condensed water from the air conditioning.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:14 PM)

Phew!" For a moment I thought I was in real trouble because when I arrived at home and drove my car into the garage, there was a trail of large wet spots.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2018 - 08:01 AM)

The showerhead exploded off the pipe this morning. So yeah... think it's going to be a "great" day.

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Luckily, it was "Wheel Horse Lawnmower"

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

I knew that my father was getting old when he finally posted a facebook status that was clearly a search term.

Photo

Overwatch

New Blizzard game

1171 replies to this topic

#1 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

So at Blizzcon Blizzard announced their new game, Overwatch a team/hero based shooter.

Cinematic trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

site:

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Some info from blizzcon

Story
  • The game is set on Earth, 60 years in the future
  • Robots became very common in the future and they went crazy, attacking cities all over the world. The war that resulted against the robots was the Omnic (?) Crisis.
  • The strike team that took on the robots was Overwatch.
  • For the next 30 years after the war, Overwatch was a worldwide agency that displayed how great people could be when they came together, representing heroism and sacrifice.
  • In the last few years, Overwatch started to fall apart.

Gameplay
  • Chris Metzen is only doing one voice in this game.
  • Blizzard has been making competitive PvP games for a long time and this will be yet another.
  • Overwatch will have some dark gritty areas, but it will mostly be a world you will want to come back to.
  • The game is all about heroes.
  • The game will be accessible with non-twitch options.
  • You can do things other than put a crosshair over targets, as that is what drives people away from other shooters.
  • The game is less-lethal. You will die, but you should die less frequently than in current modern military shooters. With more time alive, you are able to do more interesting things and interact with your team more.
  • The teams are going to be 6v6, which is just big enough to make it fun.
  • There are Payload and Capture Point maps, no deathmatch mode.
  • The game is focused on Heroes, not classes. Each hero has a unique story.
  • There are 12 playable characters at Blizzcon, with many more to come.
  • Tracer has a ~10 meter teleport / blink that uses energy. Enough energy to do 3 blinks in a row.
  • Tracer has Recall, which puts her back where she was 3 seconds ago. This also includes health, ammo, and energy.
  • Lots of the story is going to take place outside of the game, unlike previous Blizzard games.
  • Regenerate ult by doing and taking damage.

Hero Roles
  • Offense - Scout, harass, press the objective, high damage. (Pharah, Reaper, Tracer, Hanzo)
  • Defense - Guard locations, create choke points, establish a front. (Widowmaker, Bastion, Torbjorn)
  • Tank - Protectors, high survivability, disruption, lead the charge, have armor to reduce damage. (Reinhardt, Winston)
  • Support - Heal, buff, utility. (Zenyatta, Mercy, Symmetra)

Maps and Game Modes
  • Exotic worldwide locations
  • Simple objectives
  • Encourage hero mobility
  • Team focus encounters
  • Temple of Anubis - At the base of a technological pyramid.
  • Hanamura - Temple grounds, homeland of Hanzo.
  • King's Row - 30 years ago there was a population of robots that lived below the streets. People were going to send an EMP underground to destroy them.
  • You can change to another hero every time you die.

Q&A
  • They aren't talking about the cost yet, so no idea if it will be free to play, a one time purchase, or something else.
  • There are elements of Titan in Overwatch, both were Earth based, there were some shared ideas, but it is different from Titan.
  • There is no customization to the gameplay. Initially there was a robust customization system, but there are too many heroes to keep track of all of the customization that can be done. Customization works in Heroes of the Storm because it is a slower paced game.
  • Overwatch will be on PC, consoles are something they can look at in the future.
  • It is too early to talk about system requirements, but they should be reasonable, just like other Blizzard games.
  • The game will be balanced so that two of a hero on a team will be okay, but more than that will likely put you at a disadvantage.
  • They aren't ready to talk about skins, leveling, or achievement systems yet, but they are all good ideas.
  • There is party chat and team chat, with party chat being your group that you queued with. The team is also working on VO and chat communication.
  • There will be some kind of long term progression in the game.
  • The team is looking at outside Voice Chat options, as players prefer that over in game chat usually.

I think it looks really good. the designs do remind me of Wildstar mixed with Big Hero 6 but still has a lot of charm.Looks fun will give it a go when it comes out

#2 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

We want the TF2/LOL audience.

PM me if you're bored!

#3 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Well they really want the LoL audience since they already have that Heroes of the storm thing

#4 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

Cute Irken girls

• Retired Staff
  • 18231 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

As much as I want to go "UGH, another online shooter" This actually looks really cool. I could see myself get into this pretty easily.

#5 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

Well they really want the LoL audience since they already have that Heroes of the storm thing

How's that going, anyway?

PM me if you're bored!

#6 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

How's that going, anyway?

Well I hate Dota/LoL so to me it just looks like Dota in a blizzard skin but I have heard its enjoyable.

it enters closed Beta in Jan

Edited by Goblez, 07 November 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#7 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 14316 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

• There are Payload and Capture Point maps, no deathmatch mode.

Well, there goes my interest.

"Whether it's directly or not, you prey on others to live. That reality never changes. And it's the same for everyone here."

#8 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

The designs are cool. I look forward to seeing more videos, or comics or whatever, with them and potentially buying action figures.

The game however sounds like it is very much not my thing.

edit: Why would you admit to having removed gameplay customization?

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 03:31 AM.

#9 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:24 AM

Oh. Tracer. /dreamy sigh

Couldn't we just get a movie using the characters and art seen in that cinematic, instead? I like shooters, but the experience as it is described (albeit vaguely) there does very little to grab my interest. The world itself is fantastic, though.

#10 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20368 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

Well I'm sold.  I'm not big on shooters, but the crazy 'everyone plays different' mechanics are very appealing to me.  But even if the game looked crap, I'm completely hooked on the world.  That's the most fun looking new superhero group since The Incredibles.

Now the only question is if my poor pos mac will be able to play it.  It runs Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm fine, but as those are literally the only games I play on it (that and Hearthstone), well, I'm hoping for low settings at least.  But Blizz is usually good at making games playable.

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 08 November 2014 - 04:39 AM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#11 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:43 AM

I think I want this. Wonder if that was a deliberate Monkeyman homage with the glasses. Only thing I disliked was Tracer's accent. Mary Poppins wants her back.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43839 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

I'll definitely at least give this a shot.

Symmetra and Bastion are probably going to be my two top picks.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#13 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:13 AM

So what company would be either most likely or best suited to make a Bastion that actually transforms?

I've never bought anything from them because they're out of my price range, but ThreeA seems to be killing it when it comes to licensed mechanical designs. Although I don't think they've done anything transformer-y?

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#14 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

Oh. Tracer. /dreamy sigh

Couldn't we just get a movie using the characters and art seen in that cinematic, instead? I like shooters, but the experience as it is described (albeit vaguely) there does very little to grab my interest. The world itself is fantastic, though.

Pretty much my reaction. This is isn't the first time a game's drawn me in with characters and setting only for it to be multiplayer shooter with no story to it.

That said:

qczETfc.jpg

PM me if you're bored!

#15 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:58 AM

Weren't there controllable cyber-gorillas in a shooter a couple years ago?

edit: Ah yes, it was Mindjack.

That's what I thought of when I saw the first screenshot of this game.

Although, character-wise, I pegged Winston as a Hank McCoy/Beast type right away.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#16 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 13980 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

God Damnit Blizzard!  Just make movies already!!!!!!

that said, I will be playing this.  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#17 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8254 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Blizzard Fortress. Instead if collecting hats you will grind out progressively more ostentatious shoulders with a real money marketplace that allows you to purchase sockets for your shoulders.

In which you can place hats

#18 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Oh. Tracer. /dreamy sigh

Pretty much my reaction. This is isn't the first time a game's drawn me in with characters and setting only for it to be multiplayer shooter with no story to it.

If a campaign of any kind is revealed, that would be enough to get me to pounce on this. Definitely. I'd kinda expect it be mentioned in the unveiling, though, if it existed. There are a zillion venues for gamers to spit bullets at each other, I'm going to need more than that.

Edit:

The deep and rich story will take place outside of the game. The story shouldn't hinder or restrict the gameplay in any way.

Welp!

Still, I'll look at a comic, or something. It's a pretty neat world they've built, there.

Edited by Strafe, 08 November 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#19 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hmm...

Metzen relayed the tale during an Overwatch press conference at BlizzCon. He also said that Blizzard is trying to represent a more diverse, less overly sexualized group of characters than they did in the past.

Yeah.. they're sort of there with the diversity, race-wise, but all of the female characters so far look like they have the same super-sexy body with slight variations.

The guys on the other hand have cool weird stuff like a dwarf, a robot monk, a gorilla, and an old guy completely obscured by giant power armor.

They're not terrible, but they could be better. 

It seems like not all the classes have been revealed, so hopefully there are some surprises left.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 08 November 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#20 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 25910 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

So it's a MOBA first person shooter?  Cause that's what it looks like to me.

Ironbite-Team Fortress will eat this alive.

xC9l3eY.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users