Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (21 February 2019 - 10:56 PM)

Thirty Helens agree.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2019 - 09:41 PM)

People forget the whole phrase. It's "Great minds thing alike, but fools rarely differ."

@  Nevermore : (21 February 2019 - 08:49 PM)

The German version is very straightforward: "Two idiots, one idea."

English: "Great minds think alike".

Here's an example of a phrase that's charmingly positive in English but self-deprecating in German:

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Turns out the basic figures in the transformers siege line are basically minicons, and my sister is back in the hospital for another psychotic break. It's been an emotional day, and it's not even 1 pm yet.

@  Pennpenn : (21 February 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Maybe, or maybe it'd be more like wood? Y'know, bashing each other with planks.

@  Ashley : (21 February 2019 - 12:23 AM)

Wouldn't pillow fights be like slapping each other with meat?

@  unluckiness : (20 February 2019 - 11:54 PM)

RODO ROLLA DA

@  MEDdMI : (20 February 2019 - 11:14 PM)

they hit each other with full sized vehicles

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Also, do Softmus Prime and Slumblebee engage in pillow fights?

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Feathertron?

@  MEDdMI : (20 February 2019 - 08:34 AM)

@Penn Megadown, maybe?

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2019 - 05:38 AM)

The kernel.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2019 - 05:37 AM)

Who gives the orders in cyberwarfare?

@  Pennpenn : (20 February 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I wonder what Megatron would end up in that context?

@  Sabrblade : (19 February 2019 - 09:21 PM)

It's not "Optiplush"... it's "Softimus Prime"

@  Ashley : (19 February 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I've got the two plushes from the first movie, they're great

@  Shrug : (19 February 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Still have mine, although Optiplush Prime is kind of discolored

@  Shrug : (19 February 2019 - 07:59 PM)

They came out around the time of the first movie with the big merch push, but they were distinctly G1 and everything else wasnt, IIRC

@  Trpodeca : (19 February 2019 - 04:51 PM)

Take another shot Wonko.

@  Trpodeca : (19 February 2019 - 04:51 PM)

prime the lost season

@  wonko the sane? : (19 February 2019 - 01:41 PM)

I did not even know those things were a thing. I guess they didn't do very well cause they didn't make more of them.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 February 2019 - 01:25 PM)

Pfft, Hasbro did that 12 years ago with Slumblebee and Optiplush Prime

@  Xellos : (19 February 2019 - 12:37 PM)

Well, this past Christmas I did see licensed plush Transformers that went from their robot to vehicle mode by turning inside out just like popples.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 February 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Why DIDN'T transformers make plushes ala popples?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Design in mixed media and make him out of actual flannel.

@  Lancer : (18 February 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Make his fur a red and black flannel pattern

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:10 PM)

Bonus points if you can work in a red and black flannel pattern on his chest plate.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:09 PM)

Might as well make it cliched. Lumberjack moose male and aristocratic deer female.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Or their aristocratic deer.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2019 - 08:10 PM)

Thinking of making a pair of moose Transformer OCs, male and female. Thier a lovey dovy pair of lumberjacks

@  Paladin : (18 February 2019 - 06:56 PM)

they also have NOTORIOUSLY poor protection on their servers. do NOT keep a credit card on file there.

@  Telly : (18 February 2019 - 04:48 PM)

i just checked my past tfsource orders, and theres no sales tax charge

@  Arazyr : (18 February 2019 - 11:16 AM)

They haven't (yet, at least) on the stuff I currently have in my Stack. Haven't had them ship anything for a while, though, so I don't know if they will when I do...

@  Benbot : (18 February 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Does TFSource charge sales tax?

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:47 AM)

That's because, once upon a time, the people whom owned the animals weren't the people whom butchered them. So the pig was owned by a saxon who spoke english, but butchered by a french speaker. So a pig got cut up into PORC chops.

@  unluckiness : (18 February 2019 - 03:25 AM)

Hank Pym<<<< Hank Hill

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 February 2019 - 01:28 AM)

In that case, I don't see anything wrong with English speakers calling it what it is in English. Even though we technically use the French words for what comes out of it. "Beef", "pork"...

@  Bass X0 : (17 February 2019 - 02:04 PM)

I’d like a Siege Thundercracker who has his regular blue colors Cybertronian jet mode which transforms into a robot mode with his Action Master colors. Looks like it could be possible.

@  Paladin : (17 February 2019 - 11:57 AM)

The cow was slaughtered in the abattoir.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 February 2019 - 08:53 AM)

It's not a pretty name: abattoir is literally just the french word for slaughterhouse.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 February 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Giving it a pretty name won't make it a pretty place.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 February 2019 - 02:45 AM)

I do believe there is an aphorism about the U.S.A. and yogurt being different because after 200 years the latter will have a culture.

@  Maruten : (16 February 2019 - 11:30 PM)

There's another word for "abattoir"?! Honestly you people, "slaughterhouse" is a bit on the nose.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 February 2019 - 10:09 PM)

I learned this week that the French-style term abattoir is prevalent in the UK/Commonwealth in place of where U.S.-American Anglophones would say "slaughterhouse". Fascinating.

@  MEDdMI : (16 February 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Nonsense. Everybody loves all my posts.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 08:27 PM)

Or dislike them. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Wish we could like the shout posts...

@  Patch : (16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM)

Uh oh. Here comes a flock of Wah-Wahs.

Photo
- - - - -

General Discussion

1164 replies to this topic

#1 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

A thread for all those topics that are worth bringing up but not worth a whole new thread. If it's Pony, it's on topic.

Feel free to suggest a better name.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#2 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 5028 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

general_firefly_by_bluethunder66-d7d61we

http://bluethunder66...refly-445380638

Well, what did you expect?  It's a General thread! :)

#3 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

They used to have such great taste in hats, didn't they?

B5ofTKU.jpg

#4 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

I've realized it for quite some time now, but in the process of making my most recent vector, it passed through my mind again.

Why aren't there any middle aged to early elderly aged normal bodied ponies?  Everyone is either young (like Cheerilee) or an extremely old (like Granny Smith) and nothing in between.  I just can't figure this out.

I say normal bodied because the closest middle aged pony I can think of is Prim Hemline, and she's pretty thin and somewhat gaunt.

Edited by Sailor Unicron, 24 October 2014 - 06:47 PM.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#5 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

Ms Harshwhinny might be in the same age range as Prim Hemline.

I think we see more of them than we think, but we just can't tell. Twilight's parents don't look a day older than they were when we saw Twilight as a filly. It seems that little ponies age pretty slowly.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#6 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

It's still strange that we don't see more.  I guess we could chalk it up to laziness.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#7 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

I think their voices might be how we're supposed to tell.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#8 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4112 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

The Cakes are... probably older than the main characters; does that count?

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#9 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

Why don't we just check their gums?

B5ofTKU.jpg

#10 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17412 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

I've realized it for quite some time now, but in the process of making my most recent vector, it passed through my mind again.

Why aren't there any middle aged to early elderly aged normal bodied ponies?  Everyone is either young (like Cheerilee) or an extremely old (like Granny Smith) and nothing in between.  I just can't figure this out.

I say normal bodied because the closest middle aged pony I can think of is Prim Hemline, and she's pretty thin and somewhat gaunt.

I agree with Fnu that voice, clothing and mannerisms are a lot of it. Most have the same bodies though the Cakes or Rarity's mom are good examples of body variance. One of the nurses from Read It and Weep also has the subtly thicker body type. However, the official age difference is the reflections/catchlights in the eyes. Foals have three. Young adult to middle age have two. Upper end of middle age and the elderly have just one. Ms Harshwhinny only has one catchlight. Mayor Mare has two. Now that I sit and think about this, while this does fluctuate and depend on a combination of other factors, I do find it intriguingly fitting Sailor U's vector of Brisk Iron has two catchlights.

-----

Alright I've got a question. Celestia's assistant/secretary seems to be named Raven. Why? Is it short for something else or is it some reference or what? I don't get it.
Spoiler

#11 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

However, the official age difference is the reflections/catchlights in the eyes. Foals have three. Young adult to middle age have two. Upper end of middle age and the elderly have just one. Ms Harshwhinny only has one catchlight. Mayor Mare has two. Now that I sit and think about this, while this does fluctuate and depend on a combination of other factors, I do find it intriguingly fitting Sailor U's vector of Brisk Iron has two catchlights.

What does this say about Trixie? EG treats her like she's in the same age bracket as the Mane 6, but she has eyes with only one catchlight each.

Sethisto actually asked about that at some convention a while back (because he always asks something about Trixie. They brace for it when they see him walking up to the mike) and nobody knew. There's no official answer.

Alright I've got a question. Celestia's assistant/secretary seems to be named Raven. Why? Is it short for something else or is it some reference or what? I don't get it.

No idea. I don't think an official explanation has been given. If it's a reference, it's an odd one. The character was known well before she got a name.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#12 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7969 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

Still wondering if the background humans with no pony counterparts have names. Like dark tornado jock, hearts divided geek, green hair Eco kid, the other two in Flash Drive.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#13 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17412 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

What does this say about Trixie? EG treats her like she's in the same age bracket as the Mane 6, but she has eyes with only one catchlight each.

While divergence can happen, it could be a way to make her seem more worldly/less innocent despite being the same age. Her show appearances have been antagonistic so it just might be a shorthand to make her a tiny bit off from everyone else.
Spoiler

#14 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4112 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

You know, now that I think about it, Trixie does sound older than the main cast...

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#15 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

Then again, EG ignores the catchlight thing with Trixie, as do the toys, and the comics just have no idea.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#16 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17412 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

There's been multiple references to Egypt in G4. Is Anugypt from the comics the only one that's been explicitly named?
Spoiler

#17 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36982 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

I believe so.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#18 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4112 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

I'm gonna chalk the Equestria Girls thing up to the same business that had Strong Bad and Coach Z as babies in the same cartoon even though Coach Z is old enough to be Strong Bad's elementary school gym teacher. Namely, it's an alternate universe; 1:1 correlations don't apply. I mean, I assume Principal Celestia isn't over 1000 years old either. And aren't the Cutie Mark Crusaders in like middle school in that movie, too? I'm going by the preview since I'm still not interested in watching the movies.

#19 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7969 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

Watch the Equestria Rocks. It's pretty good, better than the first.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#20 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17412 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

You know, now that I think about it, Trixie does sound older than the main cast...

So does G3 Rainbow Dash.
Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users