Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2020 - 07:32 AM)

Not while I'm outside working with the chainsaw. If it's working fine: then I don't need it. If it's NOT working; I use hand tools cause there is a job that brought me out there. No time to read.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 April 2020 - 03:07 AM)

You can Google manuals these days.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2020 - 06:06 PM)

I can't. One: we don't know where dad hide the damn manual. Not that he read it either. And 2.) I'm congenitally incapable of reading it, being as I'm male.

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 April 2020 - 01:52 PM)

Lesson learned: RTFM.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2020 - 11:45 AM)

It's time for todays lesson! Did you know there's a wrong way to install a chainsaw blade? I didn't. I thought the damn thing was just blunted, but nope. Backwards.

@  CORVUS : (05 April 2020 - 06:41 PM)

CONTAGION is on my current watchlist. I'm kicking it off with OUTBREAK, and I have a whole lineup of pandemic-based films. I treat this stuff as a fear-innoculant.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 April 2020 - 03:52 PM)

My point is that of late, Taiwan's government executed lockdown procedures to great success. Vietnam has done similarly.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (05 April 2020 - 03:34 PM)

Didn't SARS just suddenly stop before it got very far?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 April 2020 - 03:24 PM)

*raises eyebrows due to familial knowledge of SARS*

@  Steevy Maximus : (05 April 2020 - 01:43 PM)

It was uncomfortably real in 2011, it's downright scary in relation to the current pandemic.

@  Steevy Maximus : (05 April 2020 - 01:42 PM)

It is, almost to an uncomfortable point.The virus portrayed in that film was FAR more aggressive and fatal than Coronavirus, but the sourcing and spread and impact hit REALLY close to home compared to what we're dealing with now

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 04:50 AM)

Actually on the subject, I've hard a lot of people refer to a 2011 film called Contagion that they think is relevant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Ah well, I'll stick to the classic British sitcoms: One Foot in the Grave, Til Death Do Us Part and They Think It's All Over.

@  TM2-Megatron : (05 April 2020 - 12:53 AM)

There's always the original, cheesy as it is

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 April 2020 - 12:10 AM)

Dunno... Tonight one of the major networks showed a movie with plagues.. including that listening to their leader causes the first born to die. ;P So nah.. I think the Stand could work. :D

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 April 2020 - 09:18 PM)

That's probably the last thing anyone needs to see, at the moment. Maybe when we get to the end of June/beginning of July and we can venture back out, it might be possible to find some enjoyment in The Stand.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 April 2020 - 02:08 PM)

I suppose the CBS adaptation of Stephen Kings The Stand will be delayed.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:26 AM)

We'll always be together. Together in electric dreams.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Please remember that in these times of social distancing, we'll always be together however far it seems.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 12:41 PM)

It arrived! Yay!

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Given how the virus lasts about 3-4 days on metals and plastics, it's about the only way to go about getting stuff right now. I ordered a monitor mount for my desk and the delivery has been pushed back twice already.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 11:04 AM)

He ordered it online, says it was to keep those delivery boys in business. I did the same a week ago with some Transformers Studio Series figures off Kapow. Don't know if it's wise or not considering.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM)

You'd be the first. Everyone else has either been frustrated cause the one they wanted was sold out (like during boxing week.) or rushing to replace something broken.

@  RYNO : (03 April 2020 - 08:53 AM)

I actually walked into a store the other day and just randomly decided to buy at 32inch TV. It was just a Vizio, and grabbed a Mounting Bracket for it. No duress. Just a spur of the moment wanted a TV for my master bedroom.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:31 AM)

Conversely: I've never met a person who wasn't buying a TV under duress... so... yeah.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:20 AM)

I think I've met maybe two people other than myself who count cables before buying a TV.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (03 April 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Seriously.. HDMI splitters and switches are so bloody finicky, but most tvs don't have enough inputs.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 05:09 AM)

Just spent a hour trying to get my brothers new Samsung TV to read his Playstation and Blu Ray player only to find he was using a HDMI splitter.

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 April 2020 - 11:07 AM)

I could never master oral bullshittery. But in my day I was quite adept with the written word.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2020 - 11:32 PM)

You have mastered the art of Bulljive. You must use this power only for good, or entertainment.

@  Sabrblade : (01 April 2020 - 08:58 PM)

This morning, for one of my online classes, I had to give a positive oral presentation about a play that I hated having to watch. I went into it completely unprepared and just winged it. My professor LOVED my presentation and thought it was excellent. She believed every word I said and honestly thought that I enjoyed that miserable play. Best April Fools ever!

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

Photo
- - - - -

Rebooted Ghostbusters

2283 replies to this topic

#61 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7462 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hadn't even thought of Dana! They can get one of the dudes who played Oscar to come back.

http://ghostbusters....eutschendorf_II

http://www.wcmaasd.c...nstructors.html

Attached Thumbnails

• oscars.JPG

WsuGTl1.jpg

#62 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17397 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

That's too good.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#63 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23130 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

When was the last time hollywood put an average woman on the screen and it didn't end in a "pretty woman" montage where she gets a complete make over and becomes a super model?

Like, every weekend? That sort of Pygmalion bullshit only really happens in teen-oriented movies and/or terrible romantic comedies and/or terrible teen-oriented romantic comedies.

Look, I wish this were a continuation and not a reboot. But I like the idea of a new team (instead of recasting Venkman, Spengler, et. al.), I like the idea of a female team, and I like the actors' names that have been tossed around so far. Poehler, Wiig, McCarthy, etc. And most importantly, I'm totally confident in Paul Feig. He's a great writer and director, who created "Freaks & Geeks," which earns him my lifetime approval, but who also directed lots of great television (Arrested Development, the Office, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Bored to Death) in addition to "Bridesmaids," which was excellent. I didn't see "The Heat," but I think overall he's a guy who knows how to make quality entertainment. I'm satisfied with this being in his hands.

#64 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

When you put it like that I agree that it's a pretty attractive resume.

I think there are three things this movie needs in order to be a success:

1. Funny people

2. Smart writing

3. Respect for the OSM

That respect doesn't necessarily have to come in the form of a direct continuation of the originals' work. But it has to be there somehow. Because Ghostbusters is one of the greatest and most beloved movies of all time.

I'm all for a female team, but I hope they don't push that angle too much. If they make the whole thing about "WOO LOOK WOMEN" then they break the whole thing. It needs to walk a tricky line between "legitimate selling point" and "irritating gimmick". And really it should be aiming for "not even an issue, peoples is peoples, shut your face-hole and get on with it".

Heck knows there are many immensely talented women around today who are more than funny enough to fit well in a Ghostbusters movie.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#65 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

If the new movie will be about another team of Ghostbusters  - fine.

If it's a total reboot - NO! PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOZER, NO!!!!!!!

#66 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8967 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Ooooooh, get the babies or baby to come back! That'd be the link to the old team, haha. He can be the token male in the team.

What if they do an alternate timeline thing like Star Trek? Reboot but not. Some omni universal dimension spanning old god trying to take over. Hope they don't do a female Staypuff. He can stay as is.

Sex and the City cast as Ghostbusters, haha. Miranda Egon, Charlotte Ray, whatshername Peter. Sarah Jessica Parker as Winston?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#67 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3820 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker as some evil spectral horse....makeup not even needed...saves money on the budget.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#68 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 3276 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:35 AM

Okay, so here's the thing I don't entirely get. Ghostbusters is by no means a big sprawling continuity - there's two movies, a video game, and a couple of cartoons I assume don't actually count. Why is it important that this new movie should be in continuity with that? I totally get people wanting this new movie to respect the old ones, but there are so many ways to do that beyond a five-minute discussion about how great the original Ghostbusters were or defining the new cast by their relation to the old one. Plus it's easier to disown it if it turns out bad! :D

If I were talking about this anywhere else, this is where I'd say "well maybe it's because I'm a Transformers fan and Transformers is chock-full of new things being their own continuity' but I'm on the Allspark so...

Edited by 1stStageMidboss, 14 October 2014 - 02:36 AM.

Twitter       Tumblr
Steam: Midboss
PSN: AWindfall

#69 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25463 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:04 AM

I think one of the problems with calling it a reboot is you now need to reestablish the world and its parameters. That means another drawn-out leadup to OMG GHOSTS ARE A THING and HAY LET'S BE EXTERMINATORS BUT WITH GHOSTS GUYS. And with modern decompressed storytelling... Yeah, that's the whole runtime devoted to 'YES WE KNOW THIS ALREADY GET ON WITH IT'.

The other issue with modern reboots, I think, is their need to justify themselves and show how different they are, thus leading to HAY GUYS REMEMBER THIS THING FROM THE FIRST TIME? LOOK AT IT, WE'RE GONNA TALK ABOUT IT AND LOOK AT IT AND THEN DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WOW LOOK HOW DIFFERENT WE ARE DON'T FORGET WE'RE A REBOOT THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM BEFORE!

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#70 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

A lot of time went by since the original, so why not a reboot - the old cast are too old to play those roles again. But making the cast ALL-female feels like a forced decision. I mean, why not make it an even 2-2 female/male ratio? The old movie was a product of its time when female leads in such type of movies were rare.  If they make the whole cast female, it'd be like some weird fetishist R63 of the movie, with female Egon, female Peter and so on.

A better idea would be to have the old cast-reappear as being retired and they would serve as mentors to a new team.

When was the last time hollywood put an average woman on the screen and it didn't end in a "pretty woman" montage where she gets a complete make over and becomes a super model?

Let's face it, that's true for average men, too. In Hollywood if you are not pretty, either you are a villain or a gritty grizzled anti-hero (see Ron Perlman or Danny Treyo).

The idea just reminds me of those horror stories about how you hear of Hollywood moguls with insane agendas, like that one producer who tried to put giant spiders in everything and finally got his way with Wild, Wild West.

Female Ghostbusters could work (Kylie was great in Extreme), but this sounds less like a story/character pitch and more like some TG fan art you'd find on deviantArt.

It actually reminds me of a recent Ultimate Spiderman episode where he crosses into another universe which is basically a R63-ed version of Peter's, with a female Spiderman, Norma Osborn, Janet J. Jameson and so on. It was cringe-worthy, though most of that show usually is.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 14 October 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#71 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Another Year, Another Evolution of the Dark Knight!

• Staff
  • 14088 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Nutjob, you just encapsulated why a full reboot is such a waste.

Have Ray still running his Occult store, Winston could be helping. Peter and Dana are happily settled.

One of the soon-to-be-Ghostbusters could be friends with or dating Oscar. Some others could be caught up in a ghost encounter and get inspired. The 'Old Guard' give guidance but have retired, so the girls decide to pick up the slack.

The big annoucement of reboot/all-girl squad just sounds like "we're updating this beloved story for Modern audiences and giving a Fresh take on the Ghostbusters by having an ALL-GIRL team. It's Grounded and topical, showing tough, sexy, independant women".

A total reboot is unnecessary.

fslookup.jpg

#72 (Deactivated) Skullgrin2014

(Deactivated) Skullgrin2014
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Fair point Wonko. But, they should at least be slightly average and somewhat geeky.

I get Hollywood glamorizes sex appeal. But I want it at least to not be overdone or done in bad taste.

I at least want one female that's like Egon or something. Also it's okay for any one of them to be hot. It just shouldn't distract from the movie or plot in a stupid way. A hot looking girl who's a credited university professor should at least seem professional. Even if they have super model looks.

It's a big piss for me that Ramis is dead. Egon was my favourite ghost buster as a kid. And I loved Ramis a lot because of it.

If anything I'd figure Ramis death while sad and tragic was a perfect excuse for a torch passing.

Plus seeing Egon die in a flashback would be heavy.

Sounds like the studio dosen't want to give royalties.

I'm not afraid of change. But the originals deserve both a homage and a tribute to Egon (Harold Ramis).

Edited by Skullgrin2014, 14 October 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#73 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Get Jeff Goldblum to play older Egon, and frankly I'd be happy. :)

To me - frankly  -Ghostbusters was the cartoon first and the movies second, and cartoon Egon reminded me more of Goldblum than of Ramis.

164px-Jeff_Goldblum.jpg

Nutjob, you just encapsulated why a full reboot is such a waste.

Have Ray still running his Occult store, Winston could be helping. Peter and Dana are happily settled.

One of the soon-to-be-Ghostbusters could be friends with or dating Oscar. Some others could be caught up in a ghost encounter and get inspired. The 'Old Guard' give guidance but have retired, so the girls decide to pick up the slack.

The big annoucement of reboot/all-girl squad just sounds like "we're updating this beloved story for Modern audiences and giving a Fresh take on the Ghostbusters by having an ALL-GIRL team. It's Grounded and topical, showing tough, sexy, independant women".

A total reboot is unnecessary.

Heck I'd be happy if they do it like in the 90ies Extreme Ghostbusters toon.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 14 October 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#74 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25463 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Honestly, I don't see why it's even necessary to even show the old guard. Jeez, even just have the commercial spot from GB2 showing up on a screen somewhere, and you've shown 'Remember this world? This is the world you're in. MOVE ON' and get to the story already.

God, have them Ghostbusters in Wisconson or something! Geographic separation means the old dudes don't even come within artillery distance~

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#75 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Recasting would be a worrying approach, but if they did choose to recast Egon... you get Maurice LaMarche! :)

WsuGTl1.jpg

#76 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43025 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

Fair point Wonko. But, they should at least be slightly average and somewhat geeky.

Not disagreeing. None of the original crew were models, and Hollywood focuses entirely too much on physical appearance anyway. They need to be folks you would see on the street and not really notice. Doesn't matter what their sex is.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#77 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18473 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

Moreover, they need to be talented actors.  The original performers were brilliant actors and comedians in their own right and they brought an incredible wealth of talent to their respective parts.

Whoever they pick needs to be picked because they're really good at what the part calls for, rather than popularity or appearance.  Which is, sadly, not what Hollywood does these days, especially with female roles.

Again, I have very little faith in Hollywood to do this right.

nzo8WYb.png

#78 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5453 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Depends... they going to get Paris Hilton to ruin our childhood for us?

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#79 tec

tec

Hello Motorobo

• Supporter
  • 32060 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

Uh no that role goes to Megan Fox

According to some shes ruined a lot of diffrant childhoods

Edited by tec, 14 October 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#80 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18473 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

There are four leading roles, they could conceivably have Paris Hilton and Megan Fox with room left over for two more.  To say nothing of the supporting cast.

nzo8WYb.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users