Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 January 2020 - 08:56 AM)

I have plenty of physical media I turn into digital media for my plex server. Just finished ripping Ultra Seven

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Isn't the general consensus that we're supposed to be over physical media anyways?

@  Paladin : (09 January 2020 - 08:17 AM)

i still don't own a Blu-Ray player.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 January 2020 - 07:35 AM)

My current TV works just fine. I don't see a need to upgrade. And by the time I do, the Next Big Thing will probably be out anyway.

@  Benbot : (09 January 2020 - 03:58 AM)

Me neither. I'm no rebel, though. I'm just poor.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 03:38 AM)

I haven't gone 4K yet, I'm a rebel.

@  Ashley : (07 January 2020 - 11:50 PM)

the comic theme is amazing

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Sounds like Victor Caroli but I’m not sure.

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 02:35 PM)

Should I recognise the narrator of the Mutant Hunt trailer?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 January 2020 - 04:30 AM)

I got me Titans Return Blaster, now watch them unveil Earthrise Blaster and Generations Perceptor, a retool of Titans Blaster.

@  ThunderWear : (06 January 2020 - 10:22 PM)

I recently switched to to the comic theme here at the Allspark and I'm so happy I just want to look at it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (06 January 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Can you not take so many lines to say anything?

@  fourteenwings : (06 January 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Iunno, maybe people having unique pronunciations of things re:how they understand language makes the world a more colourful place, rather than one where we correct every seemingly grievous error?

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:12 AM)

Others insist on "Michael Yackson".

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:01 AM)

Because the very combination of those sounds is unknown to them, and thus they avoid it as if it were contagious.

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:00 AM)

For example, the English "J" sound consists of sounds that exist in German: Basically, it's just a "d" sound followed by a very soft "sh". Yet there are many Germans who insist on calling the late King of Pop "Michael Checkson".

Photo
- - - - -

Rebooted Ghostbusters

2274 replies to this topic

#2261 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36540 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

Technically they hired the black character because she knows everything about New York's history, not because she can't press the buttom at the right time.

Ironbite-that was Chris Helmsworth's character.

Yeah, Patty was hired becuase she has a wealth of knowledge they don't have. She brought something to the table other then being an extra body.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#2262 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18278 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

The 'streetwise black person' trope being its own kettle of fish, she definitely had more to do than poor Winston, who was downgraded from over qualified genius to guy-who-needs-stuff-explained-to-for-the-audiance.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 12 December 2019 - 02:02 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#2263 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34503 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

I haven't seen it for a couple years and I concede this point. 

I didn't mean to be the person in this conversation dissing the movie.  I did enjoy it.  But I didn't feel like it has the substance of a movie.  Like if you watched it without knowing about Ghostbusters you would constantly feel like they were showing you stuff that would be important later when they were actually just making Ghostbuster jokes.  Any "sequel" is going to do that a little, but this movie just can't stand anywhere except on Ghostbusters' back.  Every single scene is either the same as Ghostbusters to be the same as Ghostbusters or different from Ghostbusters specifically to be different from Ghostbusters.

Edited by Axaday, 12 December 2019 - 02:46 PM.

#2264 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7347 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

I don't want this to be suddenly everyone dogpiling on you either. Like, you're free to enjoy the movie exactly as much as you enjoyed it obviously. I don't agree with some of your points, I think it does a good job of being its own thing with about the right amount of Well It Is Ghostbusters over the top. 

And despite the fact that Patty does bring specific skills that the team required and lacked, it is a bit on the nose that it's again the black character who has to be tacked on halfway through from outside the core group. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2265 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36540 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:11 PM

I don't want this to be suddenly everyone dogpiling on you either. Like, you're free to enjoy the movie exactly as much as you enjoyed it obviously. I don't agree with some of your points, I think it does a good job of being its own thing with about the right amount of Well It Is Ghostbusters over the top. 

And despite the fact that Patty does bring specific skills that the team required and lacked, it is a bit on the nose that it's again the black character who has to be tacked on halfway through from outside the core group. 

I agree. I like ATC, its got problems, some of which I think could have been hammered out in a sequel with all the setup stuff out of the way; I just didn't like Patty being compared to Winston like that. Patty is sorta how Winston SHOULD have been. In the movies, and more so the sequel, He really is JUST the Black guy. In the first one you get some sense that he has stuff to offer besides being able to push a button, but we really don't get to see really explored that till either the Cartoon, the Comics, or the Video Game. Patty is indeed the "added person of color to a white trio" but from the very start we see a lot more personality from her, as well as showing how she really fits in with the others.

Despite the meta problems around her, I still find Patty to be one of the best characters in the movie; next to Holtzmann who similarly has a personality from the start. The other two.. don't and kinda never really get there. And Kevin... is almost a good character, if they dialed back on his stupidity; not completely but just enough that he doesn't feel 'too dumb to live'. He does get some good moments and jokes that I think he's still a viable character if explored more.

I can't fault the movie's plot of being similar to the original. The whole 'similar but different' is the kinda roadbump you hit when doing a hard reboot. I'm not saying it was handled perfectly, but I feel there was enough of a balance between the two for a first movie. Its another thing a sequel could have helped with now that they're established. A reboot like this you kinda have to reinvent the wheel and show how you did that. Afterlife being a soft reboot/sequel doesn't have to worry about that, the wheel's already there they just have to discover it again.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#2266 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3793 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:53 AM

Just my usual reminder: the ATC girls and world gets fleshed out and treated wth TONS of respect in the comics and crossovers. even kevins dog, Mike Hat, gets some love.

please read the comics, im practically begging at this point lol =]

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#2267 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7347 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

I'm behind, but I second that.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2268 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8089 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:25 PM

Especially since in the GB comics Ninja Turtles and also Transformers are canon to their ongoing story.

#2269 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3793 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:10 AM

yeah, the everything is canon approach is unique and fun. there are definite start and stop points, but the books just get better as time goes on.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#2270 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2423 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:04 PM

I am not super-enthused about no ghost sightings "in 30 years". That means NOTHING after Ghostbusters 2 could've happened, referenced or not. Not "The Video game", not the comics, not anything else. I can understand the upcoming film not referencing anything other than the 2 OGBGs and would not be surprised to know any/everyone involved don't even know they exist (I'm sure we've all came across someone who LOVES Ghostbusters but are ignorant of those blessed books), but to take away  the comics' chance to wrap up on it's own term and work with this new film is.... unfortunate. No ghost sighting in like, 20 years would've worked better. Worse, that means after GB2, the Ghostbusters are actually back to where they were at the beginning of  "Ghostbusters 2"

.I suppose the books could just ignore the line and work up to 'Afterlife" anyway, because you gotta expect an "Offical Movie Prequel" comic is coming.

"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#2271 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36540 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

I am not super-enthused about no ghost sightings "in 30 years". That means NOTHING after Ghostbusters 2 could've happened, referenced or not. Not "The Video game", not the comics, not anything else. I can understand the upcoming film not referencing anything other than the 2 OGBGs and would not be surprised to know any/everyone involved don't even know they exist (I'm sure we've all came across someone who LOVES Ghostbusters but are ignorant of those blessed books), but to take away  the comics' chance to wrap up on it's own term and work with this new film is.... unfortunate. No ghost sighting in like, 20 years would've worked better. Worse, that means after GB2, the Ghostbusters are actually back to where they were at the beginning of  "Ghostbusters 2"

.I suppose the books could just ignore the line and work up to 'Afterlife" anyway, because you gotta expect an "Offical Movie Prequel" comic is coming.

Afterlife will likely be another universe. Like how they put Extreme Ghostbusters in its own timeline separate from Real Ghostbusters', In its timeline RGB still happened, but making them distinct allows them to do more RGB stories without having to worry about if it effects Extreme's timeline.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#2272 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39220 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

I am not super-enthused about no ghost sightings "in 30 years". That means NOTHING after Ghostbusters 2 could've happened, referenced or not. Not "The Video game"

Doesn't the game take place in '90 or '91?

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#2273 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12733 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

I am not super-enthused about no ghost sightings "in 30 years". That means NOTHING after Ghostbusters 2 could've happened, referenced or not. Not "The Video game"

Doesn't the game take place in '90 or '91?

Wikipedia says 1991... That's long enough ago that one could feasibly still say "nothing in the past 30 years" while allowing the game to be canon if you really needed it to be.

#2274 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:18 AM

Continuing my side projects, last week I made up an RGB production timeline.  Aided by the fact that all but a handful of voice actor call sheets/time sheets are available online.  Honestly had no idea before starting this sheet that the '87 syndicated run started and finished production so long before broadcast.  Also, I think I might have stumbled upon the timeframe for the '87 voice actor's strike, as the second network season has a big gap from early June, with a couple of sessions cancelled, before racing to complete the last four episodes in early August.

https://drive.google...fugXeAa_mvvHsV6

Gone through the call sheets again, this time adding the session times as well as details of pick-up and ADR sessions.  Surprisingly, it wasn't Frank Welker's schedule they needed to work around the most, it was Dave Coulier's.  In six years and 173 episodes, they only needed to do 19 pick-up sessions for Frank.  Whereas Dave needed 21 out of 94, some of which were done via phone patch from other parts of the country.

The Sunbow and Marvel Productions script/storyboard archive, chronicling ten years of animation history: https://sunbowmarvel...e.blogspot.com/

#2275 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5461 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

Makes sense, though. During the second half of the 80s Dave Coulier was doing quite a bit of stuff outside of the voice acting sphere.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users