Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

Not necessarily. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

Photo

The Tick returns to live action!

96 replies to this topic

#41 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

Wow...

That was DARK.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#42 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 22957 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Yes, for those who don't know, you can watch the pilot on Amazon Prime now.

Yeah, it's a very different tone than any of the previous iterations of the franchise, even though a few gags/lines are reused. Arthur isn't just a generic, neurotic everyman, he's thoroughly broken. It's so dark, it feels like Daredevil could've shown up instead of The Tick, and it would be a gritty Netflix/Marvel drama. Against that backdrop, the Tick comes off thoroughly unhinged.

I'm really not sure how I felt about it. It's really a whole new beast. I laughed a few times, I felt some investment in the story, I can see how it'll progress as more of a serial story than we're used to. I still haaaaate that costume, and Peter Serafinowicz is still a very odd choice--he's going for an Adam West-y voice, but his overall vibe (and especially the accent he struggles with) comes off more put-on than sincere.

I dunno. It's different. I don't hate it. I think I want to see where it could go.

#43 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Arthur's story got me invested, but it was really dark. I actually think this was darker than anything DC or Marvel has put out because it was on such a personal level.

I loved the glimpse of the other heroes and The Terror. That was some awesome world and lore building. It made me feel like I was watching a live-action City of Heroes or Freedom Force.

I actually thought Tick was too self aware, especially when he was convincing Arthur to become a hero. There was just something about the words he used there that didn't sit right with me. I think Peter Serafinowicz did a pretty ok job with the voice. There were some rough spots, but there were times where I thought he sounded just like the cartoon.

I actually can deal with the outfit some, but what really gets me is the color. It's just too light in my opinion.

I don't know. I don't really know how I feel about it. The Tick has always just been a spoof of the superhero genre,and perhaps this will become a spoof of the current dark trend but I doubt it. 

It kind of left the same taste in my mouth as Powers did, which I just couldn't watch.

Edited by skankerzero, 22 August 2016 - 02:21 PM.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#44 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

I thought it was a pretty good pilot.

The costume, as everyone has noted, is weird looking, but I think that might be what they were going for. This whole thing leans much harder on weird than prior iterations. The flashback to Arthur's childhood gave me strong Venture Bros vibes, which can only be a good thing. Jackie Earle Haley as The Terror was awesome.

Serafinowicz did a pretty good job I think. His accent did slip a few times, but he nailed the big goofy Tick lines really well. "You fingered foul fruit, friend!" and "GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN!" were both pitch perfect and made me laugh pretty hard.

It's got obvious pilot problems, but I'd be more than happy to watch more of this.

#45 (Deactivated) BillBarclay

(Deactivated) BillBarclay
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

Meh.....it was ok, not as good as the cartoon(& NO! i haven't seen the previous live action series)

#46 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27551 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Wait...Jackie Earle Haley is in this?

Ironbite-my interest is peaked.

xC9l3eY.gif

#47 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

Meh.....it was ok, not as good as the cartoon(& NO! i haven't seen the previous live action series)

The previous live-action was pretty awesome. The main issue was it was low budget and everything was an obvious sound stage.

This pilot doesn't suffer from that. It feels like a city.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#48 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16844 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

Haven't seen it yet, but it feels like Edlund is trying to get back to the earliest comics (where Tick was an escaped mental patient and Arthur was originally slated to die messily very early on and come back as a hallucination of the Tick's that got ever buffer and angrier...elements of that abandoned plot got recycled in the cartoon for when Arthur bulked up on that muscle powder), but overcorrecting and swerving into Even Darker.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#49 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61169 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

might be a fun watch, I've got no loyalty to the first live action series, and I've seen the cartoon and own the omnibus of the comics... so we'll see.

adaptions adapt after all. 

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#50 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8214 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:00 AM

Never saw the live action but saw the toons. Oooh, Arthur was slated to die in the comics? Yikes. I recall that buff Arthur ep, haha. Did he have a girlfriend in the comics?

So Edlund is involved? Will there be / is there a Die Fledermaus / Bat Manuel and American Maid / whoever in this new series then?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#51 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16844 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

IIRC Edlund is in charge, yeah.  The original plan in the comics was to kill off Arthur, but fan mail hating on Arthur caused him to change his mind and keep the guy around purely to spite the haters.  And while the Second Moth Suit did appear in the original run, it was foreshadowing that never paid off until after Edlund stopped writing the book (if it ever did come up in the comics, I expect it would have followed the cartoon's lead).

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#52 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9092 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

The pilot was certainly different than I expected.  I was expecting something more like the Warburton series.  I liked all the actors, including Serafinowicz.  Dropping the Tick into a Daredevil-style setting is an interesting choice, and it makes sense in 2016.

The textures on the costume will take some getting used to, but it moves a lot better than Warburton's stiff, clunky thing.

I'm not completely in love with this new version, but I do want to see more.  I hope I get the opportunity.  I gave it all the most positive ratings on the questionnaire.

#53 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Retired Staff
  • 22957 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

There's a very weird part of the survey where it asks you what your favorite shows of all time are, than if this pilot is better than them.

No, sorry, I don't think I can say this one episode of The Tick is "much better than" the Simpsons, Seinfeld, and Breaking Bad, nor is anyone likely to say it's better than everything else they've ever loved. How is that a useful question? How is anyone supposed to give a positive answer to that question, and therefore how can they possibly parse the responses?

#54 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

That survey is hilarious.

"I'm sorry, Amazon, I don't think your version of The Tick or that Jean Claude Van Damme thing are ever going to top Mad Men or The West Wing."

#55 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9092 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

There are hints in the pilot that the Tick is just a figment of Arthur's imagination.  But I don't know how the warehouse raid could play into that.

#56 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

I've seen people positing the Fight Club theory, and I don't think it works specifically because of the warehouse fight where the bad guys specifically say they were attacked by a giant blue superhero.

It would also be a really bad idea because there's another highly acclaimed cable drama doing the Fight Club thing better than The Tick could ever realistically hope to right now (spoiler tagged in case anyone's watching it and hasn't gotten to the reveal yet)

Spoiler

#57 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36051 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

I've seen people positing the Fight Club theory, and I don't think it works specifically because of the warehouse fight where the bad guys specifically say they were attacked by a giant blue superhero.

Maybe there's another Blue Superhero out there? 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#58 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Maybe there's another Blue Superhero out there? 

They make a big point about the city not having any superheroes since the The Freedom Five were defeated by The Terror back when Arthur was a kid. 

And, you know, we actually do see The Tick kicking those guys' asses. The only real options are it's really him or Arthur's Tyler Durden.

#59 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18755 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

There are hints in the pilot that the Tick is just a figment of Arthur's imagination.  But I don't know how the warehouse raid could play into that.

I thought that briefly as well due to some of the Tick's dialogue, but I don't see how it can really work out. If nothing else, the warehouse guys saw Arthur, so unless he's shape-shifting as well it doesn't add up. 

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#60 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Retired Staff
  • 22957 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

That would really be an awful thing to do. For all the updates and changes to modernize the property, that would be the one that would really violate the spirit of the original.

I can't imagine this show would go that route.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users