Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 10:04 AM)

That does sound like fun.

@  Dekafox : (23 July 2019 - 09:35 AM)

Fun note: in the US(at least), by default if someone has your routing number and account number off a check, they can pull as much money out as they want with nothing you can do about it until after the fact.

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

Photo
- - - - -

Hasbro + Shapeways = Official fan-created 3D art

Transformers Hasrbo Shapeways My Little Pony

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#1 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42252 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

http://www.shapeways...-mlp-learn-more

http://www.superfanart.com/

http://fortune.com/2...d-playing-nice/

Right now it's all Pony, but hopefully this can be expanded to TF as well!

We're thrilled to team up with Hasbro to launch SuperFanArt, a website that enables fans inspired by Hasbro brands to showcase their artwork and sell their 3D printed designs there and on Shapeways. SuperFanArt grants the passionate and talented Hasbro brand fan base and Shapeways community a license to create exciting new art and product offerings.

The first license is granted to a select number of 3D artists to create artwork based on My Little Pony (one of our favorites!).

It's the first time a global brand has opened up their IP to enable passionate fans to co-create products. Stay tuned...there's much more to come.

Edited by NightViper, 21 July 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#2 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49552 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Oaaah....!

Brilliant! And if I had the coin, damn, every one of those would be mine. (Maybe not RD. Definitely Rarity and Applejack, without the slightest hesitation.)

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#3 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Pray all you want, I won't go away

• Supporter
  • 44562 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Interesting.

#4 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49552 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

No cross-post to Allsparkle?

Edit: Done.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 21 July 2014 - 11:40 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#5 Gryllid

Gryllid

Not a Real Fan

• Supporter
  • 1808 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

This could be really interesting.  I hope they open it up to TFs (and to people aside from "select" artists) sooner rather than later.

#6 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5437 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Even if the keep it to "select " artists their site has an area for submission to work under SuperFanArt http://www.superfanart.com/

So it seems you will be able send applications.

#7 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32760 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Now THAT is potentially interesting.

I just wish some of the shapeways materials weren't so disappointing.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#8 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10635 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Interesting. A step towards "official" upgrade sets, I wonder.

#9 Servitor 2152

Servitor 2152

Dancing helper-bot

• Citizen
  • 1859 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

This is awesome.

I hope they do expand it Transformers sooner, rather than later.  And then I hope fakebusker and Trent are able to get in on that action.

Interested in getting TFSS 3.0 Carzap, Nacelle, or G2 Starscream for $50 plus shipping?  PM me if so.

#10 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38169 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'm glad it had a happy ending after all.

For those out of the loop, there's a reason it's all Pony right now. These are preexisting designs that got C&D'd a while back, causing a fair bit of drama. Someone got the idea to make a deal with the artists instead of just bringing down the ban hammer, and here we are.

This is promising. This could be a way to get some licensed upgrade kits if this expands to Transformers. Just know that it's going to take some time, because Transformers isn't what they had in mind and there aren't any designs already lined up.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#11 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Upgrade kits, heads and weapons. Hmm.

Yes, this partnership does have potential.

#12 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16965 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

So many heads. Easy way to make me want a figure I normally wouldn't.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#13 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 5931 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I like the promise of what this could bring.  At the same time I wonder how much they would cost.  Some of those Pony pieces cost quite a buck.  Any idea what the prices were like before the C&D?

QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#14 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Pray all you want, I won't go away

• Supporter
  • 44562 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Here's hoping for more weapons. Maybe some of the various series' plot devices, too.

#15 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38169 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

I like the promise of what this could bring.  At the same time I wonder how much they would cost.  Some of those Pony pieces cost quite a buck.  Any idea what the prices were like before the C&D?

They went for good money. That's why they got C&D'd. I think they were less expensive than this, but they were unlicensed after all.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#16 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12399 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

This is promising. This could be a way to get some licensed upgrade kits if this expands to Transformers. Just know that it's going to take some time, because Transformers isn't what they had in mind and there aren't any designs already lined up.

There are a shitload of them around, but there's the rather unfortunate matter for Hasbro that, sold without their permission (and therefore cut), they're cheaper, and many of them are probably not infringing Hasbro copyrights or trademarks.

#17 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49552 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Well, yeah. I mean, I don't see why Hasbro should get a cut when I order a pair of machine pistols for Springer....

#18 Shadoman

Shadoman
  • Citizen
  • 2309 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

One problem with getting official TF products like this is that I can't imagine Hasbro letting fans use this for accessories or replacement parts just yet. From the MLP stuff, it seems they're going for stand-alone figurines, and small-scale ones at that. What, if anything, Hasbro will probably be approving for a possible TF equivalent, I think would probably be stuff like the small Titaniums, or minibusts/ heads.

#19 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49552 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

They didn't decide on these products as a set. It's technically direct competition with their own miniatures as well as the ones they license through Funko. I imagine accessories, which encourage purchase of the original product, could only be more permissible, as the old assumption goes with 3P kit.

Because seriously, how effing awesome would it be to have a licensed The Briefcase or My First Blaster?

#20 Gryllid

Gryllid

Not a Real Fan

• Supporter
  • 1808 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I wonder if they'll be reluctant to allow accessories intended for use with toys because of safety concerns or whatnot?

If they do allow TF accessories, I'm assuming they'll also have to limit that stuff to single-color items, as the stuff that these MLP things are made of is described as "a hard, brittle material that works great for figurines and visual models, but isn't well suited to functional parts or daily handing".