Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

Photo
- - - - -

Robotech Academy Kickstarter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

#41 Bobimus supreme

Bobimus supreme
  • Supporter
  • 2729 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

I really do urge people to not support this, this is coming from a macross fan

i would give anything to destroy that company 

#42 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Somebody explain this one to me - what's more appealing about Robotech than Macross and Southern Cross as separate series? Especially when Mospeda's out of the picture?

Because Robotech was rewritten in the combination to an extent that gives it a unique story and arc and character not shared by the sources. It is a multigenerational epic that by combining and rewriting three series created a developing and changing storyline and universe like few other cartoons have ever even attempted.

More, they, not the source takes, are the characters, universe and stories that many of us grew up loving and that are in many instances quite different from the raw source stories.

-ZacWilliam, I suppose it's like asking a Power Ranger fan why he likes that show and not the Japanese Sentai series it sprang from. One was created from the other but they are not the same thing. It's also why I like Voltron and Go-Bots but am uninterested really in Go-Lion or Machine Robo.

Yeah but...

Macross Plus.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#43 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7274 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

I sort of looked at this project and thought "they'll never get 500k". But the last Robotech kickstarter asked for 70 grand and got almost 1.5 million, so, yeah, i think there's a market.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#44 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Confused? Its a Mayhem thing

• Supporter
  • 62285 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

HUG THEM

no money from me.. I bought the boxset on clearance ..that's all the money they'll get from me

#45 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17337 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

I sort of looked at this project and thought "they'll never get 500k". But the last Robotech kickstarter asked for 70 grand and got almost 1.5 million, so, yeah, i think there's a market.

Which really shows how terrible HG is at shepherding the property.

Robotech is beloved and there's a big audience that WANTS more of it badly and they've ranged from passively wasting that fan interest/power to transmuting it into active disdain and hate for their company.

ZacWilliam, it's a factor of how much fans love the original that there's still so much support for any more Robotech despite pretty much universal disgust with HG.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#46 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Somebody explain this one to me - what's more appealing about Robotech than Macross and Southern Cross as separate series? Especially when Mospeda's out of the picture?

Crude expedient of having three times the amount of setting and content for fans to work with in one universe. Who cares if you graft it together with showtunes, stupid narration and cuts?

PM me if you're bored!

#47 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39117 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm really only interested in Robotech for the Mospeada portion. I want some toy company to finally make a good Legioss toy again.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#48 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13635 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

I think you've got the big problem and contradiction that is pushing a lot of people (myself included) away from this new-ish Robotech idea Zac.

A lot of fans Want more Robotech. However despite that HG has always seemed more than happy to sit on the license, maybe release a bit of merchandise, along with repackaged rereleases of the original show. Oh yeah and block any and all Macross shows from coming over along with launching ludicrous lawsuits like the SDCC one.

A quick bit of my Robotech history:
Bought and watched Codename:Robotech. Which is the Glovals Report clip show episode expanded into a movie.
Bought and watched Robotech II: The Sentinels, was entertained and confused by it since i didn't know the whole arobotech saga. Was thoroughly gutted to know that it was supposed to be a series that got canned.
Rented and watched Robotech The Movie. Not much to say here.
More recently finally bought and watched the entire Macross, Masters and New Generation Robotech series on DVD. I enjoyed it.
Got The Shadow Chronicles. Didn't really like the odd retconning og the New Generation ending but was hyped for more Robotech.
Then Shadow Rising got put on hiatus because of a proposed Robotech live action movie which hasn't happened yet.
The whole SDCC sueing happened because of the Jetfire/Veritech "how dare anyone but HGmake money off of it". That soured me a lot to them.
HG decides to adapt Love Live Alive. A clip show movie that retells the same story again but with some new footage. yay.

And now they decide to go backwards and tell us what happened to everyone who left Eartg before the whole Masters/New Generation?

For me, a kind of cynical apathy has taken hold. Much as i would honestly like to see more Robotech, i just can't bring myself to have any faith in the top suits at HG. The people involved in making the shows yeah. But we're 30 years in a the story shows as much sign of concluding now as it did when the series originally finished. Which does make it really heard to be enthusiastic about the chances of it happening.

It judt doesn't seem like Robotech has evolved or changed since the original.

Unlike Transformers and Macross.

I am going to watch this closely and see what happens. All the while fighting a childish urge to get invilved despite my better judgement.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 05 July 2014 - 12:03 PM.

fslookup.jpg

#49 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

The problem is, for Hasbro or anyone else to buy out Harmony Gold....

The douchecanoes that own the thing have to be willing to sell.

But yeah, screw these guys. They're not getting a penny out of me.

I was one of a few people who were kinda hoping that the legal fees from a lengthy trial coupled with the penalties assessed against them for wasting Hasbro's time & money would be so crippling that Hasbro could just make a bid for them. 

That the legal decision in the case would likely be precedent-setting would have been the icing on the cake. 

#50 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19231 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I think that's what many were hoping for; it would have been nice.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#51 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I think that's what many were hoping for; it would have been nice.

If nothing else, I'd have loved to see some Robotech figures done using the new body construction style that Hasbro has.

Also, as a Battletech fan I'd have loved to see it if Catalyst Game Labs was able to use the Macross designs again. One of the original companies behind Macross (don't recall if it was Studio Nue, Big West, or Tatsunoko) gave the game's creators their blessing to use the images; it was HG who started the legal battle. 

#52 (Deactivated) stormbringer

(Deactivated) stormbringer
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Shouldn't Harmony Gold be able to afford this on their own,or does all the money just go to lawyers?

#53 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50328 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Are they a private company, or do they actually have shareholders who haven't ditched them yet?

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#54 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34318 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

I love Kickstarter.  But I really hate it to be used this way.  It's supposed to help the little guy get kickstarted.  A company like this, that is at least 30 years old, ought to be able to finance a new project.  If they can't, they aren't a good company.

#55 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17337 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

They aren't a good company.

Boiled that down to the relevant point.

-ZacWilliam, is that an excuse to need a Kickstarter after 30 years wasting a super popular geek franchise?

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 05 July 2014 - 03:51 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#56 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

HG had several opportunities and squandered them in favour of hard drugs and lawsuits. #nomorebailouts #notthistimeobama

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#57 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11326 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Because Robotech was rewritten in the combination to an extent that gives it a unique story and arc and character not shared by the sources. It is a multigenerational epic that by combining and rewriting three series created a developing and changing storyline and universe like few other cartoons have ever even attempted.

More, they, not the source takes, are the characters, universe and stories that many of us grew up loving and that are in many instances quite different from the raw source stories.

-ZacWilliam, I suppose it's like asking a Power Ranger fan why he likes that show and not the Japanese Sentai series it sprang from. One was created from the other but they are not the same thing. It's also why I like Voltron and Go-Bots but am uninterested really in Go-Lion or Machine Robo.

Yeah. To put it another way, Robotech:Macross is Transformers:Diaclone (if Diaclone had proven far more popular than it was).

I like both Robotech and Macross, but they are very different animals. Wanting more Macross does not mean I don't want more Robotech (especially since my favourite parts of Robotech [the Cyclones, the Invid, the Sentinels] aren't from the Macross-era --hell, Sentinels isn't even based on any Japanese series; HG created that chapter out of whole cloth).

#58 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

I do not give one single hug about Robotech.  Macross on the other hand...

Anyway, why would I give these dickholes my money when I have to pay import prices to get Macross stuff because they are such hugwads about it?  They are the creative version of copyright trolls.  Not.  One.  Dime.

#59 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65980 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

So long as they prevent real Macross fiction from getting released, they can rot.

ACItEK8.png

#60 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

I have distinct memories of lots of Macross coming to the US...did this not happen?

And Robotech over Macross. The only reason there's a geekswell for Macross because it's an underlying series of Robotech.