Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Yeah, could you maybe be more specific? Are they good robots? Bad ones? Do they just want to take our jobs? We need more information to work out how we feel about them.

@  Benbot : (14 August 2019 - 11:03 AM)

which ones?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

Robots are coming....

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2019 - 07:14 PM)

my nephew showed me the cuphead rap, and now it's stuck in my head...

@  Hg Dragon : (12 August 2019 - 07:07 PM)

Hershey squirts. AKA diarrhea

Photo
- - - - -

Robotech Academy Kickstarter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

#41 Bobimus supreme

Bobimus supreme
  • Supporter
  • 2729 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

I really do urge people to not support this, this is coming from a macross fan

i would give anything to destroy that company 

#42 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Somebody explain this one to me - what's more appealing about Robotech than Macross and Southern Cross as separate series? Especially when Mospeda's out of the picture?

Because Robotech was rewritten in the combination to an extent that gives it a unique story and arc and character not shared by the sources. It is a multigenerational epic that by combining and rewriting three series created a developing and changing storyline and universe like few other cartoons have ever even attempted.

More, they, not the source takes, are the characters, universe and stories that many of us grew up loving and that are in many instances quite different from the raw source stories.

-ZacWilliam, I suppose it's like asking a Power Ranger fan why he likes that show and not the Japanese Sentai series it sprang from. One was created from the other but they are not the same thing. It's also why I like Voltron and Go-Bots but am uninterested really in Go-Lion or Machine Robo.

Yeah but...

Macross Plus.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#43 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7089 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

I sort of looked at this project and thought "they'll never get 500k". But the last Robotech kickstarter asked for 70 grand and got almost 1.5 million, so, yeah, i think there's a market.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#44 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 61950 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

HUG THEM

no money from me.. I bought the boxset on clearance ..that's all the money they'll get from me

#45 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17137 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

I sort of looked at this project and thought "they'll never get 500k". But the last Robotech kickstarter asked for 70 grand and got almost 1.5 million, so, yeah, i think there's a market.

Which really shows how terrible HG is at shepherding the property.

Robotech is beloved and there's a big audience that WANTS more of it badly and they've ranged from passively wasting that fan interest/power to transmuting it into active disdain and hate for their company.

ZacWilliam, it's a factor of how much fans love the original that there's still so much support for any more Robotech despite pretty much universal disgust with HG.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#46 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Somebody explain this one to me - what's more appealing about Robotech than Macross and Southern Cross as separate series? Especially when Mospeda's out of the picture?

Crude expedient of having three times the amount of setting and content for fans to work with in one universe. Who cares if you graft it together with showtunes, stupid narration and cuts?

PM me if you're bored!

#47 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38373 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm really only interested in Robotech for the Mospeada portion. I want some toy company to finally make a good Legioss toy again.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#48 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knights Final Fantasy!

• Staff
  • 13207 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

I think you've got the big problem and contradiction that is pushing a lot of people (myself included) away from this new-ish Robotech idea Zac.

A lot of fans Want more Robotech. However despite that HG has always seemed more than happy to sit on the license, maybe release a bit of merchandise, along with repackaged rereleases of the original show. Oh yeah and block any and all Macross shows from coming over along with launching ludicrous lawsuits like the SDCC one.

A quick bit of my Robotech history:
Bought and watched Codename:Robotech. Which is the Glovals Report clip show episode expanded into a movie.
Bought and watched Robotech II: The Sentinels, was entertained and confused by it since i didn't know the whole arobotech saga. Was thoroughly gutted to know that it was supposed to be a series that got canned.
Rented and watched Robotech The Movie. Not much to say here.
More recently finally bought and watched the entire Macross, Masters and New Generation Robotech series on DVD. I enjoyed it.
Got The Shadow Chronicles. Didn't really like the odd retconning og the New Generation ending but was hyped for more Robotech.
Then Shadow Rising got put on hiatus because of a proposed Robotech live action movie which hasn't happened yet.
The whole SDCC sueing happened because of the Jetfire/Veritech "how dare anyone but HGmake money off of it". That soured me a lot to them.
HG decides to adapt Love Live Alive. A clip show movie that retells the same story again but with some new footage. yay.

And now they decide to go backwards and tell us what happened to everyone who left Eartg before the whole Masters/New Generation?

For me, a kind of cynical apathy has taken hold. Much as i would honestly like to see more Robotech, i just can't bring myself to have any faith in the top suits at HG. The people involved in making the shows yeah. But we're 30 years in a the story shows as much sign of concluding now as it did when the series originally finished. Which does make it really heard to be enthusiastic about the chances of it happening.

It judt doesn't seem like Robotech has evolved or changed since the original.

Unlike Transformers and Macross.

I am going to watch this closely and see what happens. All the while fighting a childish urge to get invilved despite my better judgement.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 05 July 2014 - 12:03 PM.

fslookup.jpg

#49 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

The problem is, for Hasbro or anyone else to buy out Harmony Gold....

The douchecanoes that own the thing have to be willing to sell.

But yeah, screw these guys. They're not getting a penny out of me.

I was one of a few people who were kinda hoping that the legal fees from a lengthy trial coupled with the penalties assessed against them for wasting Hasbro's time & money would be so crippling that Hasbro could just make a bid for them. 

That the legal decision in the case would likely be precedent-setting would have been the icing on the cake. 

#50 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19014 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I think that's what many were hoping for; it would have been nice.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#51 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I think that's what many were hoping for; it would have been nice.

If nothing else, I'd have loved to see some Robotech figures done using the new body construction style that Hasbro has.

Also, as a Battletech fan I'd have loved to see it if Catalyst Game Labs was able to use the Macross designs again. One of the original companies behind Macross (don't recall if it was Studio Nue, Big West, or Tatsunoko) gave the game's creators their blessing to use the images; it was HG who started the legal battle. 

#52 (Deactivated) stormbringer

(Deactivated) stormbringer
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Shouldn't Harmony Gold be able to afford this on their own,or does all the money just go to lawyers?

#53 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49768 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Are they a private company, or do they actually have shareholders who haven't ditched them yet?

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#54 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34230 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

I love Kickstarter.  But I really hate it to be used this way.  It's supposed to help the little guy get kickstarted.  A company like this, that is at least 30 years old, ought to be able to finance a new project.  If they can't, they aren't a good company.

#55 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17137 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

They aren't a good company.

Boiled that down to the relevant point.

-ZacWilliam, is that an excuse to need a Kickstarter after 30 years wasting a super popular geek franchise?

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 05 July 2014 - 03:51 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#56 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

HG had several opportunities and squandered them in favour of hard drugs and lawsuits. #nomorebailouts #notthistimeobama

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#57 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11208 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Because Robotech was rewritten in the combination to an extent that gives it a unique story and arc and character not shared by the sources. It is a multigenerational epic that by combining and rewriting three series created a developing and changing storyline and universe like few other cartoons have ever even attempted.

More, they, not the source takes, are the characters, universe and stories that many of us grew up loving and that are in many instances quite different from the raw source stories.

-ZacWilliam, I suppose it's like asking a Power Ranger fan why he likes that show and not the Japanese Sentai series it sprang from. One was created from the other but they are not the same thing. It's also why I like Voltron and Go-Bots but am uninterested really in Go-Lion or Machine Robo.

Yeah. To put it another way, Robotech:Macross is Transformers:Diaclone (if Diaclone had proven far more popular than it was).

I like both Robotech and Macross, but they are very different animals. Wanting more Macross does not mean I don't want more Robotech (especially since my favourite parts of Robotech [the Cyclones, the Invid, the Sentinels] aren't from the Macross-era --hell, Sentinels isn't even based on any Japanese series; HG created that chapter out of whole cloth).

#58 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

I do not give one single hug about Robotech.  Macross on the other hand...

Anyway, why would I give these dickholes my money when I have to pay import prices to get Macross stuff because they are such hugwads about it?  They are the creative version of copyright trolls.  Not.  One.  Dime.

#59 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65376 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

So long as they prevent real Macross fiction from getting released, they can rot.

ACItEK8.png

#60 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

I have distinct memories of lots of Macross coming to the US...did this not happen?

And Robotech over Macross. The only reason there's a geekswell for Macross because it's an underlying series of Robotech.