Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 August 2019 - 04:10 AM)

Let me call on my friend Dr Rockso, the Rock 'n Roll Clown. (He does cocaine.)

@  Nutjob R/T : (20 August 2019 - 12:48 AM)

New crowdfunding project: We need to get enough nose candy for the Paramount execs to keep 'em up long enough to get DS9 squeezed out

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 04:36 PM)

They're hideously cheap. I'm just glad some decision maker in the upper echelons stayed high as a kite for long enough for us to get TOS, TNG and TAS on blu-ray

@  Rycochet : (19 August 2019 - 04:16 PM)

Paramount are kinda cheap and Ds9 isn't popular enough for them to go all out on a remaster.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:37 PM)

Or hell, they could just shorten a season of Discovery by 2-3 episodes and that'd pay for the DS9 remaster in full (assuming the 8 to 8.5 million per episode for Discovery that was reported a while back is accurate)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Redoing some of the more simple effects like phasers and transporters and whatnot (basically what they've already had practice doing for TNG)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:30 PM)

They could scan and rebuild the film elements, and then upscale the original CGI only (provided it still exists as separate footage)

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Basically its in the same situation as DS9 IIRC with loss of models and how the CGI was applied to the existing footage.

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

Not gonna happen unless they recreate all the CGI from scratch, unfortunately. Or just upscale the broadcast masters, which would be basically pointless.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 August 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Babylon 5 must come to Blu Ray.

@  MEDdMI : (19 August 2019 - 07:28 AM)

Even in the winter, he has to clear the roads of snow.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2019 - 03:46 AM)

His work is never done.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2019 - 03:06 AM)

Everyone quickly gets sick of flubbing the name and collectively agree to just call the combiner "Roadworks"

@  Sabrblade : (18 August 2019 - 09:34 PM)

For some reason, I've always wanted to see a "Menastator", all five Stunticons and all six Constructicons in an 11-piece combiner.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

Photo
- - - - -

Robotech Academy Kickstarter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

#21 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Behead those who reject Macross

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#22 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30718 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

I want to live in a world where I have acsess to both Robotech and Macross

All I want if Harmany Gold to let Viz or Funimation to distrubute Macross dubed or subed with out any hassle or interfearance and Harm G can do its own thing

I meen really is that to much to ask?

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#23 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7857 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Didn't ADV redub Macross before it went under?

I'm still upset Macross Frontier never got a proper ahot in the US cuz HG's dicking with the overall license.

#24 FortMax

FortMax

Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

• Supporter
  • 4894 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

ADV did a dual-audio/subbed release of SDF Macross and a subbed release of Mospeada, both of which were licensed through HG.
QUOTE(Hasbro)
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

TbtA3Ye.jpg
Buy my Mini-Pla Goseiger Candy Toy Zords!

#25 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2256 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

That was 7 years ago and the last good thing HG ever did.

#26 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Robotech, and Macross, is a weird thing to me because it seems like something I should be pretty into, but it completely missed me as a kid.

I think I remember them airing it on toonami at some point, but the commercials didn't look very interesting.

Although, I also didn't end up getting into Gundam, and I actually gave that a chance.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 04 July 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#27 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25949 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

My biggest beef with Harmony Gold is that the Shadow Chronicles was just boring for me.  I'm down for new Robotech, but I would want some assurances that this new series would be better.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#28 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

I seriously think that Hasbro should have responded to the HG lawsuit by buying the company out and immediately spinning off everything not-Robotech. 

Takara-Tomy owns controlling interest in Tatsunoko, and so they could hypothetically act as middlemen in any deal involving Hasbro and Tatsunoko over the rights to the series. And even if Hasbro itself doesn't directly do anything with the franchise, we know that Shout Factory would be all over it. 

#29 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22409 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

I seriously think that Hasbro should have responded to the HG lawsuit by buying the company out and immediately spinning off everything not-Robotech.

What good would buying them out be if Hasbro never had any plans for whatever they owned? Why would Hasbro even need someone else's IP when they already have a lot planned out for their own?

Edited by Naas, 04 July 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#30 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

What good would buying them out be if Hasbro never had any plans for whatever they owned? Why would Hasbro even need someone else's IP when they already have a lot planned out for their own?

Granted, Hasbro buying HG out is more of a pipe dream than anything else. 

But at the same time, there's a fair amount of pent-up demand for anything Robotech. They'd be guaranteed eyeballs if they put the cartoon on The Hub (no matter how late at night), collectors would snap up toys in a heartbeat, and Shout Factory would have instant top-sellers if they got the rights to the remaining Macross series. 

#31 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Do you have any basis for saying that?

PM me if you're bored!

#32 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59933 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Well, this did substantially well.

https://www.kickstar...h-rpg-tacticstm

#33 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30718 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

I gots nothing but love fo the old Palladuim stuff I have bought every one of the Robotech role play books

Great art and great source materal...played one campaing at a con :D

Edited by tec, 04 July 2014 - 10:35 PM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#34 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

Do you have any basis for saying that?

Something I've seen is that Robotech comes up on a reasonably active board:

1. People want it out of HG's hands

2. People want the remaining Macross titles brought over

3. People want more of the merchandise brought over

It seems to be a constant of sorts that goes above and beyond this place. 

#35 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

The problem is, for Hasbro or anyone else to buy out Harmony Gold....

The douchecanoes that own the thing have to be willing to sell.

But yeah, screw these guys. They're not getting a penny out of me.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#36 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7094 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:07 AM

Harmony Gold certainly has got up to a lot of nonsense over the years, and why they would be trying to kickstart Academy when they still have Shadow work to do... sigh.

But Robotech is Robotech. I'd like to see the source material widely available without HG messing anyone around, but I don't have any interest in it. I think Robotech is greater than the sum of its parts. Despite Harmony Gold's efforts in recent years decades!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#37 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22349 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

The only thing Harmony Gold will get from me is a fart in their general direction.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#38 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49773 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

Somebody explain this one to me - what's more appealing about Robotech than Macross and Southern Cross as separate series? Especially when Mospeda's out of the picture?

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#39 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9311 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

What, they can't fund it with all the money they get from real estate?

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#40 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17147 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

Somebody explain this one to me - what's more appealing about Robotech than Macross and Southern Cross as separate series? Especially when Mospeda's out of the picture?

Because Robotech was rewritten in the combination to an extent that gives it a unique story and arc and character not shared by the sources. It is a multigenerational epic that by combining and rewriting three series created a developing and changing storyline and universe like few other cartoons have ever even attempted.

More, they, not the source takes, are the characters, universe and stories that many of us grew up loving and that are in many instances quite different from the raw source stories.

-ZacWilliam, I suppose it's like asking a Power Ranger fan why he likes that show and not the Japanese Sentai series it sprang from. One was created from the other but they are not the same thing. It's also why I like Voltron and Go-Bots but am uninterested really in Go-Lion or Machine Robo.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 05 July 2014 - 03:16 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.