Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

On my shelf I have Ginrai donning the Star Convoy armor.

@  Liege : (19 November 2019 - 07:42 AM)

That he is.

@  Benbot : (18 November 2019 - 04:01 PM)

And a good boy

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Hound is at least a very good toy.

@  ThunderWear : (18 November 2019 - 09:11 AM)

Hound is the only other one that even comes close to Chromia in my area, and he ships in two separate waves.

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

This might be how they finally get rid of all the Chromias. I've not seen a shelfwarmer like that in ages.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

The Official Unofficial Allspark Transgender Thread: Everyone is welcome!

transgender gender identity

2626 replies to this topic

#21 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 59940 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've touched on this before but I've still not really grasped it so maybe it can be revisited here.

Basically, as I understand it, the premise is such that inside you feel like one sex and on the outside your body is defined as another. Speaking as a male who was born a male, I can't understand exactly how that works.

Let me explain.

I don't identify as male. If you asked me to quantify what it is to be male, the first thing I'd say is "Well, it's something I don't really think about." But even when I DO think about it, such as now, I still can't tell you what it feels to be male or female. I have tried to break it down and think "Okay, this is what makes me a male" and I can't think of any innate encapsulation of that. I could say "Well, it's because I love farting and because I'm strong and tall" but those aren't really defined by biology, as there are women as tall as me and women who enjoy farting and laugh when they do. I could say it's because I don't have any desire to wear a dress, wear make up or paint my nails but those again are social constructs and only apply to the modern western world.

I don't feel like *any* gender so I don't grasp how someone could feel like the wrong one. Now certainly, this isn't meant as a rebuttal to what you are and what you feel, it's just me explaining how I want to understand it because for all practical purposes I can't.

Where does that feeling come from? How do you first identify it and what.. I dunno.. what things could you list that you knew were wrong that makes you identify or fixate on one gender identity or the other? How do YOU define your own gender enough to know it's not right.

What's the springboard or the catalyst for this identity?

#22 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8695 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

I'm a gay male and I don't identify as a female at all (I like man parts, haha) but I'm pretty happy that the folks here have access to that hormone thing. Where I'm from, transitioning from one gender to another isn't common, in style or affordable. They just resort to being transvestites.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#23 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

I'll let somebody else explain in more detail, 'cause I'm at work and stuff, Kal, but the gist of dysphoria is that you feel wrong in your body. Like, imagine if you KNEW you should have two arms, but an arm and an extra leg instead. It's probably a bad metaphor, but that's the sort of idea.

#24 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7766 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I'll admit, when I first read the thread I thought "well that'll only have like 3 people in it" but I'm surprised at the number of people who the thread applies to. I'm just a boring ol' straight dude so I'm in Kal's boat on this. I'm both fascinated and confused by most things surrounding these gender issues since I've never had any experience with it.

It could also be that I really don't really care what you identify as or wish you were just as long as the person you are isn't a total butthole.

Needless to say, I am glad that this is exists and am happy that those of you who are unsure or haven't had anyone to talk to about these issues can have a friendly place to go for support and such.

#25 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

People are interesting, to me. I don't have any experience or associations regarding this topic at all, and I understand very little of it, so I'm happy to observe respectfully and learn.

#26 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 59940 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

I'll let somebody else explain in more detail, 'cause I'm at work and stuff, Kal, but the gist of dysphoria is that you feel wrong in your body. Like, imagine if you KNEW you should have two arms, but an arm and an extra leg instead. It's probably a bad metaphor, but that's the sort of idea.

And that's where I have trouble grasping it. The arm analogy would only make sense since I already know what it's like to have 2 arms and if they turned up missing I'd definitely notice -- but alternatively, I can't imagine what it might feel like to know that I should have 2 *extra* arms, or wings or anything else I don't have a point of reference for. If you've never known it in the first place, how can you miss it?

#27 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

The brain is a complicated, complicated thing, Kal. I'm not sure it's something you really CAN understand without experiencing some form of it.

#28 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50349 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I don't know, isn't it sort of like the experience of sexual preference? I mean, fundamentally, what is it in your brain that says that this is "attractive for an X, but I'm into Y" and that is "I want to bang it"? The difference is pretty subtle, and ultimately just an invisible assignment of gender we're doing in our heads. And we do that with ourselves, too....

(Don't misunderstand - I'm not conflating any issues relating to transgender stuff as being really linked to sexual preference, just grasping for a comparison.)

Another case would be, what archetypes or characters do you find yourself relating to, what roles do you insert yourself into in stories, etc. But that's complicated by a lot of other factors. 

Subconscious sex is separate from gender expression, sexual preference, and a whole host of other things, and where it seems to overlap makes it hard to pin down - but it's definitely a real thing that's in there. After reading Julia Serano's Whipping Girl when someone suggested it in that thread I started on the question you're posing, Kalidor, I got a little more sense of what it is, but I still don't feel like I can fully isolate and interrogate it even in myself. (Doesn't help that I seem to be somewhere in the neutral zone myself.)

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#29 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

Part of the problem is trying to explain things with an incredibly limited language. Gender classification as binary will be rendered completely obsolete within the century due to advances in surgery and technology allowing people to forge identities divorced from their original physicality. For the first time in history we live in a culture where large numbers of people have the means to alter their own body's appearance and chemistry, and society is still playing catch-up to the implications of this. In my long-sighted futurist view the blurring of sex and gender lines is the latest in a sequence of events that will ultimately have us questioning not only what it means to be man or woman, but what it means to be human.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#30 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22961 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

I figured out I was trans just over two weeks ago. It feels like my subconscious has known for at least 15 years, though. I remember having If I Had Animorph Powers daydreams that often ended with me getting stuck in a girl form.

Yeah, I had those same kind of day dreams.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#31 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

I figured out I was trans just over two weeks ago. It feels like my subconscious has known for at least 15 years, though. I remember having If I Had Animorph Powers daydreams that often ended with me getting stuck in a girl form.

That's a huge first step! To not just transitioning but to better understanding who you are.
My advice now would be to find some support in your area: whether it's online, or a support group, or a therapist who works with transgender individuals. It seems scary but it's actually a huge help! (and it's actually a million times scarier to face this alone)

Kira,

You said that you only live as a female PT. Are there outside social or professional factors that prevent you from living as your actual gender FT?

If not, living only PT just seems like crossdressing to me since you haven't completely rejected living as your physical sex and seems contrary to what I know about transgenderism.

If this is getting too personal, just let me know.

-SS

There are DEFINITELY outside factors. Number one being that I still live with my family, and have only very recently "come out" to most of them. Trying to transition like this is a HUGE minefield, but I have a close relationship with them and I didn't want to burn any bridges, so to speak.

I also had a huge bout with depression over the last few years. After I finished college I intended to transition and then start another school, but I met some roadblocks and my life sort of stalled out. And every time I found a glimmer of hope of actually succeeding life got in the way and ripped it away so the depression worsened. I'm super grateful that for the last few years I've been seeing my therapist (she's very involved in the trans community and an advocate of sorts) otherwise I wonder if I would be here, y'know without that one person who never gave up on me.

Also money is a huge issue. I managed to get insurance coverage, but it kind of sucked, so finding an endocrinologist who took my plan and worked with trans patients was tough. And most insurances only cover the doctor visits, not the hormones themselves (luckily they cover the T blocker, and Target has a discount plan on the estrogen!)

SO YEAH, A LOT OF FACTORS. In a perfect world I would have been living full time years ago.

We do not live in a perfect world.

And on the subject of "just crossdressing"... it's not crossdressing if you're transgender. And as was previously discussed being transgender doesn't refer to the actual physical process of changing your body. A true crossdresser is satisfied with their body and living in their assigned gender. Some prefer to be more androgynous but they're still men (and the same holds true for women crossdressers who dress as men!)

I take issue with you saying I haven't rejected my physical sex. OH HELL YEAH I rejected it years ago and I've been bloody fighting it tooth and nail ever since, full time, part time, all the time.

The dysphoria was huge up until recently. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

So yeah, I don't like being second guessed. Thanks! ( ^ . ^ )

I've touched on this before but I've still not really grasped it so maybe it can be revisited here.

Basically, as I understand it, the premise is such that inside you feel like one sex and on the outside your body is defined as another. Speaking as a male who was born a male, I can't understand exactly how that works.

Let me explain.

I don't identify as male. If you asked me to quantify what it is to be male, the first thing I'd say is "Well, it's something I don't really think about." But even when I DO think about it, such as now, I still can't tell you what it feels to be male or female. I have tried to break it down and think "Okay, this is what makes me a male" and I can't think of any innate encapsulation of that. I could say "Well, it's because I love farting and because I'm strong and tall" but those aren't really defined by biology, as there are women as tall as me and women who enjoy farting and laugh when they do. I could say it's because I don't have any desire to wear a dress, wear make up or paint my nails but those again are social constructs and only apply to the modern western world.

I don't feel like *any* gender so I don't grasp how someone could feel like the wrong one. Now certainly, this isn't meant as a rebuttal to what you are and what you feel, it's just me explaining how I want to understand it because for all practical purposes I can't.

Where does that feeling come from? How do you first identify it and what.. I dunno.. what things could you list that you knew were wrong that makes you identify or fixate on one gender identity or the other? How do YOU define your own gender enough to know it's not right.

What's the springboard or the catalyst for this identity?

Gender identity isn't something that's easily explained or conveyed, so you have having problems saying what makes yours "MAN" isn't abnormal. As someone cisgender especially your body is so in tuned that it floats somewhere out of sight and you never have to think about it. Isn't that cool?

I don't have that luxury. We don't have that luxury. It SCREAMS inside your head from the moment you wake up.

You know like the sci-fi trope of body horror? You start turning into a fly or some other mutant and there's just this horror deep inside. It's pretty much like that: you look down and it's your body but it's all wrong. Your brain is sending you "WTF!?" signals and you feel horrible.

I like to say to cisgender people this: Imagine you woke up as the opposite sex. You're now a woman (or a man, for the cis ladies) wholly in body, but your mind is still you. Now you have to go out and live your day as a woman, and be treated as a woman, etc. If you open your mouth and mention that you're really a man, and best case scenario, you'll get some strange looks and a chuckle. So the next day you're still the opposite sex and work up the courage to dress and identify like you want in spite of the stares and laughs. You feel a little better, a little more like you, but it still feels wrong. Some people are OK with it, some even friendly, but some they give you obvious, dirty stares. Are rude. Call you "F____T" or some other horrible name (that doesn't even apply to what you're going through! you did nothing to state who you're attracted to!).

Maybe they beat you up. Maybe they kill you. Any random person can decide that you somehow offend them SO MUCH it gives them the right to do whatever they want. To them you're not human.

The next day the same thing happens, you head out, try to live the way you identify, and live in fear... and the next day, and so on...

Your body is never going to magically change (back, in this case). Your sexuality hasn't changed, you're still you.

And you're left with two choices: "suck it up", be a woman, fake fitting in. OR struggle and fight against a society that marginalizes and misunderstands anyone different.

Make your pick!

Anyways... identity identifiers! How do you know? Well for me it was that I really didn't connect with any of my friends growing up (the boys). We'd hang out and play video games and stuff but they scared me! Something about the way they thought and acted, the roughness. Even the nerdy quiet ones had it. Everything was a competition... it felt gross! The one male friend I gravitated to most was gay... hanging with him felt more natural, relaxed. (we're still friends today!)

And there's the stereotype that little trans girls want Barbies and pink and glitter! Well I liked my Transformers. But damned if I didn't play with my younger cousin's Barbies every time I went over there (OMG, all the outifts!). I also remember wanting to buy a Jean Grey/Phoenix action figure because I just gravitated towards her character, but being afraid to do so because I was worried that my family would think I was weird, or they'd laugh... ( - _ - )
Oh, kinda random but did anyone else who liked Ninja Turtles have the April O' Neil with the real rooted hair? I LOVED that one. So pretty! I used to sit there and play with my toys and do the voices and then very quietly do April's voice, because I was afraid of family here me doing a girl's voice and doing girl stuff. (my mom would have made fun of me for sure, she's sort of mean I guess. Lol)

Yeah, wow, I wrote a lot.

Sorry!

Looking for Combiner Hunters Chromia and Arcee! If you can help plz pm me

My Amazon wish list~! http://a.co/4lE2Xrw

#32 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16876 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have great difficulty comprehending people who assert they are agender / nongender.

If you have a Y chromosome and a male-presenting biological body, but it feels utterly alien and wrong to you (the "body horror" notion from above), then it makes sense to say you can't really be a man or weren't meant to be one, and then announce / identify / transition as a trans woman.

But how could someone like that ALSO say they don't feel like a woman either and would feel just as wrong as a woman - if they don't have anything to react against?

Edited by Thylacine2000, 02 July 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#33 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2213 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Well, people like that still have a sex (I don't think they reject that notion) it's just that they don't identify with either gender. And from people I've interacted with it usually seems like they tried the one they were assigned at birth, tried the "opposite" and neither felt right. Then there's the people who feel like they're strongly in both categories and sometimes like to slide back and forth.

You know what's funny? I find nongender people confusing too. I can't identify with them, but I sure as hell accept what they tell me about what they're going through.

What I wonder is how their brain is constructed. From the research that's been done trans women have brains with structures that resemble a cisgender woman's brain, and vice versa for trans men and cis men's brains. So what does a brain with no gender look like? Is it "missing" something? Have something most brains don't? Some sort of mish mash of male and female brain that evens out?

I wish we knew more.

Looking for Combiner Hunters Chromia and Arcee! If you can help plz pm me

My Amazon wish list~! http://a.co/4lE2Xrw

#34 Aida Mana-Sue

Aida Mana-Sue

It can be helped!

• Citizen
  • 2622 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

I have great difficulty comprehending people who assert they are agender / nongender.

If you have a Y chromosome and a male-presenting biological body, but it feels utterly alien and wrong to you (the "body horror" notion from above), then it makes sense to say you can't really be a man or weren't meant to be one, and then announce / identify / transition as a trans woman.

But how could someone like that ALSO say they don't feel like a woman either and would feel just as wrong as a woman - if they don't have anything to react against?

There's a lot more to it than this, but the argument you're basically making is a classic example of a false dichotomy.

Twenty four years of experience has told me I'm not male, but I don't have anything in me that tells me I should be female, just that it's the less familiar option of two. Basically, for me it just represents a better alternative. I don't feel female though, and I'm positive my brain isn't physiologically female (I don't know how it would compare though). It's 100% a mental/social thing with me.

W4Zt8zo.jpg

#35 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Everybody get ready for the most groundbreaking, earth-shattering question of the century

How do you decide which bathroom to use? If you changed, was it weird going to the "opposite world" from what you were used to?

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#36 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Confused? Its a Mayhem thing

• Supporter
  • 62288 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

This thread is great.  I don't really have more to add, since I'm as stock standard male as they come... but I get it -and you guys and gals will always have my full support -as much as that means. Its a struggle I'm happy I don't have to deal with personally, I wouldn't know where to find the strength to be perfectly honest.  But it makes me happy that you all have/are/and are constantly trying to find it... it's very moving.      

#37 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28707 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

If it means anything, I read most of the people in this thread as being female before hand anyway. Something about the personality and way you carry yourselves.

A very dear friend of mine happens to be transgender and there's no question in my mind that she's a woman. A very intelligent and beautiful one at that :)

#38 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Confused? Its a Mayhem thing

• Supporter
  • 62288 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

yeah, its sort of the way reading a fictional female character written by a woman... tends to feel 'more right' than even a great male writer does when writing the same character.

I can't RP female characters for jive, they just act like men  lol.  

#39 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Kira,

I didn't mean to offend you but I think you may have misconstrued my statement. I never said you didn't reject your physical sex. What I said was that if you only lived as a female part-time and that it WASN'T because of outside factors that made it difficult or even impossible then it would seem to me that you hadn't completely rejected it. However, since outside factors WERE at play then my following statement clearly didn't apply.

I apologize if my assertion was confusing.

Thanks for clarifying.

-SS

#40 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7286 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Most people don't realise, could never understand, how lucky they are not to ever once in their life have to think about whether their body matches their brain.

My mother is gay, and I didn't have a male role model growing up. I didn't (and don't) think I needed one. I'm a heterosexual man and that makes me fortunate in that I don't need to devote a lot of energy to exploring what that means for my identity. I'm not particularly masculine, certainly I have personality traits that are considered feminine. I have the luxury of looking at sex and gender, which I've never had to struggle with, and sort of saying... those things don't matter. People are people. Be what you are, love who you love. Don't let somebody else's narrowminded opinions force you into the wrong box. I don't define people by their position on those spectrums (spectra?) and I hope we're in sight of a world where nobody does.

It's hard to imagine another kind of trauma as horrific and invisible and cruelly dismissed as gender dysphoria. It's such a huge, wonderful thing for people to stand up and say "I'm not what you think I am", and have the courage to make enormous changes to their lives -- often difficult, painful, alienating, frightening changes. To do that without a great support network is just too terrifying to contemplate. I hope you people in this brilliant community can be that support network for some who may have no other.

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transgender, gender, identity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users