Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

The Official Unofficial Allspark Transgender Thread: Everyone is welcome!

transgender gender identity

2775 replies to this topic

#2681 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49678 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

I mean, that's all anyone can ask, right? Keep an open mind and be supportive and in my opinion, you'll find it's a lot easier to accept "strange" new things.

I hesitate to classify it as "strange" due to negative connotations, but maybe that is the best term for it in my own mind.

It's a weird mental hurdle on my end.

#2682 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49678 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

Like I said, I'm still Christian with Christian values. I'm still very conservative politically. But when it comes to relationships with individual people...politics and religion can be a part of conversations, but they should never get in the way of relationships.

Same (though my political views skew far more progressive). I just try to treat folks the way I want to be treated.

#2683 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

I mean, that's all anyone can ask, right? Keep an open mind and be supportive and in my opinion, you'll find it's a lot easier to accept "strange" new things.

I hesitate to classify it as "strange" due to negative connotations, but maybe that is the best term for it in my own mind.

No worries! I'm certainly not accusing you of feeling that way, I'm being self deprecative, and I mean, let's be real, I am pretty weird.

But you know, charmingly so. :p

Edited by Cabooceratops, 04 January 2021 - 11:40 AM.

<p>Like my art? I do commissions!! -> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.allspark...3622784</a></p>

#2684 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36690 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

The "privilege" thing simply means that a cisgender person has the power to question a trans person's validity and a trans person doesn't have the power to do the same. Our identities are vulnerable and open to being "questioned" when no one else's is.

Well, being seen as socially acceptable and being treated the way you'd like to be treated doesn't mean changing the biological realities, which as you've said cannot be changed.

The alternative is creating gender categories to construct a pseudo-reality on top of, which become an addition to modern culture. At the end of the day, you'd have to know that even with the backing of the culture or a philosophy, these distinctions would still be made up.

Society has made plenty of room for concrete concepts in fields like psychology that involve the stuff that goes on in people's heads, stuff that no one else can *see* but are still considered entirely valid. Homosexuality used to be considered a mental illness, now we think the better of it. I see no reason to tell trans people they're believing fairy tales because we can't see what gender identity *really* lives in their brains.

Like it's one thing to want to support women or cisgender gays/lesbians because their issues are real - but throwing trans people under the bus is not making the world a better or more just place, you're just making us the next minority group getting treated like crap for no fault of our own.

Edited by Patch, 04 January 2021 - 11:41 AM.

#2685 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:45 AM

And let's be real, if you successfully push us out of public favor, the L, G, and B are right behind us.

<p>Like my art? I do commissions!! -> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.allspark...3622784</a></p>

#2686 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15940 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

a) That isn't what I said at all. All I said was "trans women can live their lives, but I won't go for policy and thought processes that hurt natal women"

As a natal woman, it's absolutely unfair how awesome and beautiful trans women can be. They shouldn't be allowed to upstage me and be better women than I am!

-Obviously trying to make light of this discussion. If I said your thought process is hurting me, would you stop thinking that way?

#2687 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Are we allowed to coin a new term cis-plaining?  Cause it kind of feels like that's what was attempted.

#2688 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

"unfamiliar" might be a better term. But its certainly understandable..  I still have hurdles using "queer" in the proper context because of the negative uses in the 80s.

#2689 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:06 PM

And let's be real, if you successfully push us out of public favor, the L, G, and B are right behind us.

Like, I cannot emphasize enough how much Trans Panic is just a rebranded Gay Panic.

#2690 M Virion

M Virion

Sin against Creation

• Retired Staff
  • 19653 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

I did not expect to walk into this thread and find a bunch of TERF nonsense, going to be honest.

I'm of the personal mind that this whole thread should be in P&R to start with.

Trans identity and existence is only political because people like you try to make it political in an attempt to shove it back into the closet. You are not a hero, you are not a champion standing up for 'natal women', you are an oppressor.

Edited by M Virion, 04 January 2021 - 12:45 PM.

#2691 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35322 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

This thread was made for and meant to document the journey so many of our users were going on transitioning. It was NEVER meant to be a debate thread. For 130 some odd pages it had survived as exactly that and never needed to go in P&R. Until now when a relatively new user has tried to force this thread there. That will stop. Right now.

fourteenwings if you actually want to hold these opinions and debate them on The Allspark then go into P&R and start your own thread. That way those who wish to educate you can do so while all the other users who have no interest in your objectives here can be spared from seeing them.

Any further posts in this thread antagonizing our transgender community will result in warnings and if you keep it up a ban. Please change course and if you want to be political take it to P&R. It's pretty obvious the citizens of this thread do not want to hear it. My personal advice would be to never post in this thread again but that's just me.

#2692 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2655 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:43 PM

Right, because you believe the existence of trans people is a political argument, just as your parents believed the existence of gay people was. So go start a thread. That is not the purpose of this one. Try not to abuse others' benefit of the doubt this time when you get there.

[...]

believing that trans existence is inherently political

Well, not the existence of anybody, but certainly the many policies, laws, and thought processes that are being advocated for here and elsewhere.

Like, the existence of gay people is very separate from issues about whether they should be allowed by law to marry or adopt. Those were political issues (because they change how society is organized, how culture operates, and just generally "how we do things"). Something like stopping them from the right to associate (yes, right up to the point of sleeping with others of the same sex) is certainly an obvious violation of personal freedom.

All politics is "how we do things and how we decide to do things". The implication being that, outside your existence and your right to personal freedom, the rest has to be argued and resolved in the public sphere (ie politics).

Do..uh...do you realize how you're coming across to others? Maybe you should get a friend so they can let you know?

Yes, yes I do. As I said earlier, you don't get on the questioning side of these topic without being ready to be seen this way.

has the power to question a trans person's validity and a trans person doesn't have the power to do the same

I think I've said before that I'll extend personal courtesy to others to a reasonable limit.

Society has made plenty of room for concrete concepts in fields like psychology that involve the stuff that goes on in people's heads, stuff that no one else can *see* but are still considered entirely valid. Homosexuality used to be considered a mental illness, now we think the better of it. I see no reason to tell trans people they're believing fairy tales because we can't see what gender identity *really* lives in their brains.

Yeah, I guessed that this was where our personal philosophies clash. There's quite the difference here, and I don't think that's the worst thing ever. On the bright side, I think you articulated your position well, and I don't have any interest in pushing a disagreement like this much further. I think disagreement is okay.

but throwing trans people under the bus

My points would be:

a) As noted before; we disagree

b) I have no desire to throw anybody under any busses

c) I believe in everybody's right to do, think, and act as they please, even if I disagree

d) They may also lobby politically for positions I disagree with, c'est la vie and all that ilk

I cannot emphasize enough how much Trans Panic is just a rebranded Gay Panic.

I don't think those at LGB Alliance would take a similar stand.

in an attempt to shove it back into the closet

In all honesty; you can't "shove" any human thought processes out of existence, it's a fools errand. As I've said, all we can do is decide how you deal with them.

fourteenwings if you actually want to hold these opinions and debate them on The Allspark then go into P&R and start your own thread. That way those who wish to educate you can do so while all the other users who have no interest in your objectives here can be spared from seeing them.

I've been thoroughly educated, both in the line of thinking/politics in this thread and the alternative it. Separate schools and all that.

My personal advice would be to never post in this thread again but that's just me.

Well, I felt I'd hit an impasse already with the only person who was willing to honestly engage the last time I posted, and I just wanted to offer a final explanation of my positions because I feel past this point nothing productive will come of it.

Edited by Kalidor, 05 January 2021 - 12:44 AM.
External link removed

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#2693 M Virion

M Virion

Sin against Creation

• Retired Staff
  • 19653 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

The LGB Alliance is a hate group.

You want to come off like a cultured intellectual with well-reasoned points we should agree with or at least debate, but when you cut through the crap you're just a bigot.

No one is willing to 'engage honestly' with you because you're not coming from an honest place to begin with.

Edited by M Virion, 05 January 2021 - 12:14 AM.

#2694 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:29 AM

Honestly, I think it'd be best to move on from fourteenwings parroting random anti-trans arguments at us and let the staff handle it if he wants to antagonize us further.

#2695 M Virion

M Virion

Sin against Creation

• Retired Staff
  • 19653 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:32 AM

Fair, just the audacity to bring the Heritage Foundation backed 'LGBA' into this. The hugging gall.

#2696 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:33 AM

Honestly if he wants to further discredit himself then he's free to, if you ask me.

#2697 Whirl

Whirl
  • Citizen
  • 25403 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:43 AM

transphobic bullshit propaganda made by fascists

again.png

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#2698 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60902 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:52 AM

I've removed the direct link. 

I've been monitoring this discussion for the past 16 hours or so. At this point I've left it up to everyone involved to make self determinations on how to proceed with the topic and be on the look out for any egregious rules violations. I trust everyone can generally self moderate and while distasteful in some regards, opposing points of view aren't against the rules.

That said, as Wheelimus mentioned earlier, the scope of this topic is meant to cover support and collective engagement of trans people and anyone who might wish to seek a better personal understanding of a side of life they might not be readily familiar with. It's not here to present a platform for the exchange of hostilities and in that regard it *does* violate the general guidelines of off topic derailment. 

Since it's already mentioned we have an entire forum dedicated to a discussion of sensitive viewpoints (P&R) and should anyone wish to engage in that, they are welcome to go engage in that topic in a different post than this one. 

It looks like everyone has spoken their final thoughts on the matter, so I trust that there will be no further discussion about it in this post. 

#2699 Whirl

Whirl
  • Citizen
  • 25403 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:58 AM

not to be that guy, but kal, "opposing points of view" are for shit like dubs vs. subs or star wars vs. star trek. what fourteenwings is posting is hate speech, not an "opposing point of view."

Edited by Whirl, 05 January 2021 - 01:00 AM.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#2700 CheeseSomersault

CheeseSomersault

Probably not a real person

• Citizen
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:08 AM

Yeah... I get where you're coming from, Kalidor, but it doesn't feel good to classify hate speech as "a difference of opinion". This isn't some meaningless fandom thing, this isn't just a conservative vs liberal political difference, this is just spilling gross untruths about a minority and questioning whether a certain demographic has a right to live in our society.

Like, if someone came in and started citing some pseudo science bullshit that certain demographics are just genetically inferior - would you let that go as just a difference of opinion? Why is this different?

Again, I know you hold no ill will, but I hope you reconsider your view.

Edited by CheeseSomersault, 05 January 2021 - 01:09 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users